Re: Worst movie you've ever seen?

Lucas wrote:

Cars
How could Pixar go so low in story. A movie about cars should not be about a forgotten city.

Who said the movie was about cars? They just happened to be the characters. Cars' plotline was fine, but what I was always wondering was how had the vehicles become the only population? The internal combustion engine as we know it had only been invented in 1891.

mcoov wrote:
Lucas wrote:

Cars
How could Pixar go so low in story. A movie about cars should not be about a forgotten city.

Who said the movie was about cars? They just happened to be the characters. Cars' plotline was fine, but what I was always wondering was how had the vehicles become the only population? The internal combustion engine as we know it had only been invented in 1891.

I also wonder how the cars build all these things!? Like a road lamp, electricity. How are the cars even born!? We see baby cars. How do they grow up!? I wanna see Pixar explain that.

You gotta use your imagination.

Yeah, you're definitely taking it too seriously. It's a movie about anthropomorphic cars who can talk.

... And forget a city after a day because of a new road that popped up and without asking removed a living city from the map. Noone knows about them but they still get fuels and all that they are living on.

Serious. It's a child's film. It was made to entertain toddlers and infants. They're the ones with the creative mind.

That's not unrealistic at all. According to John Lasseter, it's even based on the real town of Seligman, Arizona.
And I disagree that it's a film for toddlers and infants. Several commentators have, in fact, questioned at the time of its release whether kids would even identify with its nostalgic themes.

Mason wrote:

Serious. It's a child's film. It was made to entertain toddlers and infants. They're the ones with the creative mind.

Thats not Pixar. They allways think things trough all the time. Except in Cars.

Lucas wrote:
mcoov wrote:
Lucas wrote:

Cars

I also wonder how the cars build all these things!? Like a road lamp, electricity. How are the cars even born!? We see baby cars. How do they grow up!? I wanna see Pixar explain that.

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts
Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show,
I should really just relax.'"

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Lucas wrote:
Mason wrote:

I take it you were similarly bothered by how toys could live while being made out of plastic in the Toy Story movies and how fish displayed human-like levels of intelligence in Finding Nemo?

Cars do seem slightly different if you think about it.

Because both the toys and the fish are surrounded by humans who do not know of their true nature, yet the cars replace humans in the sense that they have their own world.

But anyway, that's taking it too seriously, as a good man once said, "Why so serious?".

Just enjoy the movies.

Just because its a kids movie doesn't mean its allowed to be stupid. Sure, nitpicking Pixar is like nitpicking Disney's 'Alice in Wonderland', but with 'Cars' it just wasn't as believable. Thats what I love about Pixar - they made me think my Toys could talk. They just sold it. They made me think Monsters were nice people, they made me think Robots actually had a personality (although I still hated the ending), and they made me think my goldfish could talk. They just did it. The characters were presented in a way that made me leave my Brain back at my house. 'Cars' failed to do that. The concept that Cars have their own parallel dimension is just too far. Never have I looked at a Car and said 'My Car lives in a world where everyone is a car'.

Its a logical question as to how do Cars earn a living. What are their jobs aside from the ones at the road and at the Car Races? What else to they do aside from watch or partake in Car Racing? In every Pixar movie, the characters were an everyday object in an everyday world - apart from the Monsters, which are similar enough to humans and we see enough of their world to assume the answers to the questions presented in Cars. The Toys were Toys, and are played with. Within the movies, the issues of Toys being thrown away, sold, etc are addressed within the trilogy. The Ants are Ants and earn their living by doing what all Ants do, and are dominated by larger insects - which is what happens in real life. The other bugs we see are all real, and we assume that they do what the bugs do in real life, e.g a Mosquito would suck blood, a fly would eat crap, a slug would...be a slug etc. In Monsters Inc we see how the Monsters live enough to fill in any holes in the logic - we see that there are other jobs than scaring/laughing and that the Monsters can earn a living because their world can accommodate to them. We only see the Racing stadium and the crappy little town - no other civilised location. In Finding Nemo they are fish...they do what Fish in the real world do. In 'The Incredibles' its a tribute to the Superhero genre - so its set in the firm ground of reality. I cant be bothered to go on...you get the picture.

I dont get why everyone thinks that toys talking is the height of idiocy and illogicality. Its not. If the toys lived in a parallel dimension where everyone else is a toy that would be slightly less logical - but even a world of toys makes way more sense then a world full of Cars. My suspension of disbelief goes as far as a parallel dimension where everyone is a Monster. Anything more abstract then that and my brain taps on my shoulder.

But 'Cars' is still a good movie. Not Pixar's best, but better than most stuff out there....

YouTube
Max, She/They

Jargon wrote:
Lucas wrote:
Mason wrote:

I take it you were similarly bothered by how toys could live while being made out of plastic in the Toy Story movies and how fish displayed human-like levels of intelligence in Finding Nemo?

Television Tropes and Idioms wrote:

Cars is just Andy playing with Hot Wheels
The opening of Toy Story 3 suggests the idea that it's what toys truly experience during playtime. So a bunch of toy cars being played with would experience a whole different world. A toy car resembling Lightning Mc Queen even appears at Sunnyside.

* Made Of Win.
    * Totally plausible.

I'm all for this one.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I dont think Pixar intended it to be that way, but that is plausible....although that means Andy has a really good imagination for a however-old-he-is.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Looks like I made a mistake in what i said in your opinions.

Jargon wrote:
Lucas wrote:
Mason wrote:

Isn't this what we're doing with our plastic toys? LEGOs?

Brickfilmer a decade ago, now looking to relive the glory days mini/smile

I thought Cars was okay when I saw it. But then again I was 7.

Oh c'mon, lucas. What do you expect? You don't alwasy have to explain everything. Sometimes is better to NOT explain things, to imagine. Take filmyguy's example: it would have been better to not mention the clones lab thingy. How did they build a town? How do cars born (though I think it's quite easy to imagine)? Lamp roads? You shouldn't care about these things while watching. It's like asking yourself "hey, you can't have artificial gravity in a spaceship, shouldn't they float in space?" while watching Star Wars, or saying "TOYS DON'T TALK" when watching Toy Story. I still haven't seen CARS though.

Toys talking is the only thing that was out of the norm in that movie. Cars had an entire world of impossibility. If we saw more of this world outside of the stupid little town and the racing stadiums and it was explained, I would have no issue. In Star Wars and Monsters Inc, we see enough to assume how everything works without everything needing explanation.

And artificial gravity hasn't been invented yet, meaning for all we know it could be completely plausible.

YouTube
Max, She/They

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...