Re: Worst movie you've ever seen?

FlyingMinifig wrote:

...and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) (which is probably one of the most overrated films I've ever seen--or rather didn't see, as I was struggling to stay awake half an hour into the film)

YES!

Whilst I found the film to be a complete bore, I didn't find it boring because of the slow pace (although, it didn't help matters) or the fact that such plot-points as assassination, double identity, betrayal, and homosexuality are so downplayed. I found it boring because the script was an incoherent mess and so in the end I just gave up following it.

The culprit is literally the person that's had the least characterisation. Scenes either go on for too long or not long enough. There is no way one can tell if something is a flashback or just a cut. Your supposed to work out the clues as you go along like we're watching an episode of Poirot when the culprit is just a red-herring, and once you know who did it then there's no need to watch the film again. I actually thought everyone was a Russian spy at one point - which would have been an interesting twist.

I'm sorry, I understand that it was trying to be 'different' in its approach to espionage - but this is a spy thriller. I hate it when people take such lifestyles as being a detective, being a gangster, being a rock-star, being a pirate etc and try to make it look like a boring 9 to 5 job. NO! Why would you make something that isn't boring boring? Because being a spy isn't boring! Yes, there must be days at the office where all you have to do is file some paperwork. Seven and Zodiac did this, but when stuff happened the pace and tone of the film completely shifted. The film still kept a slow pace, but there was a sense of urgency throughout - and I could actually follow the bloody plot.

Congratulations, you have made being a spy look boring and easy. Why don't you get a job working undercover in Syria and see just how boring and easy it is...

YouTube
Max, She/They

Max Butcher wrote:
FlyingMinifig wrote:

...and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) (which is probably one of the most overrated films I've ever seen--or rather didn't see, as I was struggling to stay awake half an hour into the film)

YES!

Whilst I found the film to be a complete bore, I didn't find it boring because of the slow pace (although, it didn't help matters) or the fact that such plot-points as assassination, double identity, betrayal, and homosexuality are so downplayed. I found it boring because the script was an incoherent mess and so in the end I just gave up following it.

The culprit is literally the person that's had the least characterisation. Scenes either go on for too long or not long enough. There is no way one can tell if something is a flashback or just a cut. Your supposed to work out the clues as you go along like we're watching an episode of Poirot when the culprit is just a red-herring, and once you know who did it then there's no need to watch the film again. I actually thought everyone was a Russian spy at one point - which would have been an interesting twist.

I'm sorry, I understand that it was trying to be 'different' in its approach to espionage - but this is a spy thriller. I hate it when people take such lifestyles as being a detective, being a gangster, being a rock-star, being a pirate etc and try to make it look like a boring 9 to 5 job. NO! Why would you make something that isn't boring boring? Because being a spy isn't boring! Yes, there must be days at the office where all you have to do is file some paperwork. Seven and Zodiac did this, but when stuff happened the pace and tone of the film completely shifted. The film still kept a slow pace, but there was a sense of urgency throughout - and I could actually follow the bloody plot.

Congratulations, you have made being a spy look boring and easy. Why don't you get a job working undercover in Syria and see just how boring and easy it is...

Actually, in reality jobs like being a detective or spy are apparently a lot more boring and tedious than you might think.  (Being a detective, for instance, often involves watching people for hours and hours on end in a manner not unlike watching paint dry--or so I've heard.) 

This film was supposedly supposed to be the "antidote to James Bond".  I have nothing against making a realistic spy movie, but the film was so dreary, dull, and boring it just made this statement sound pretentious.  My main problem was with the--as you pointed out--incoherent story.  One scene just cut to the next, and it was only until the end of that scene I realized it was a flashback (at which point my brain screamed "wait, WHAT?").  The characters were extremely bland and uninteresting, and I couldn't care in the slightest about them--which is a pretty impressive achievement considering the strong cast.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (June 9, 2013 (11:08am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

War Horse

This movie was the most boring thing I've ever watched. And what's so surprising about it is that it's a Steven Spielberg film. Lol.

Last edited by GHB (June 11, 2013 (06:22pm))

War Horse

This movie was the most boring thing I've ever watched. And what makes it even more surprising is that it's a Steven Spielberg film. Lol.

I'm surprised they could even make a movie out of that 100 page book.

BISCUIT!
My website is in construction!

RobertLalry wrote:

Легко извлекать воздушные шары, для заполнить пустые места и украсить комнаты. Воздушные украшения приносят наслаждение в оформление интерьера. Эти украшения выглядят интересно, привлекательно и празднично, при этом экономя деньги на более дорогих предметах декора.

These are some really fair points, and for the most part I agree with them. Although, I fail to see how balloons relate to the "Worst Movie You've Ever Seen?". Maybe if this were the worst song you've ever heard mini/tongue

Also, thanks for bumping this thread! I think it'd be great to get it going again.

Yes, it's homemade, fresh from the toaster oven.

I actually liked war horse mini/shifty

One of my least favorite movies is Top Gun, it just feels like watching a video game where whenever you beat a level it plays the same victory music, and then they tack on random scenes towards thee end to pretend like the characters went through arcs.

Edit: oh wow, I didn’t realize I was replying to messages sent a decade ago lol.

Last edited by BuggoBricks (October 15, 2023 (12:03am))

“Got Mutant Problems?”