Re: Brickfilms/Bricks in Motion Split

No. My idea is story-like. I take the split and turn it into a medival battle. It's funny. I know it leads to the creation of BiM, that's the happy ending! Thanks DerTarchin!

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.

Meh.

Ok honestly, this isn't going where I wanted. mini/no

| Website |

If you want cold hard facts, go read the link Jargon posted on the first page.

Speaking of that link, it's interesting (and cringe-inducing mini/XD) to see my own posts quoted in there. That's the funny thing about the internet; you can see how you've changed over the years.

Well, being a long time member, there are only a few things that stand out in my mind as essential.

First would be the transition from Revmen to ThickasaBrick as administrator. I can't recall when exactly this happened, but you should be able to find out easily enough. They had exchanged emails on the topic before, and when Rev decided to sell the site, they met in a Detroit deli to discuss things further. Revmen is an entrepreneur (oil business, big stuff) in real life, so he wasn't incredibly concerned with lining his diamond covered coat pockets with rubies. He just wanted to make sure the site went to a good person. By all accounts the meeting went smoothly, but Revmen was on the fence. He just wasn't sure if TaaB had the character to keep members in line. Being of a fine cultural background (his father was a composer, his mother a Cellist for the NY Philharmonic), Revmen knew that his best bet for figuring out whether TaaB could handle the site was by judging her musical interests. As you might have guessed, her primary interest was Jethro Tull, and the dice were cast, with Revmen accepting a mere $150,000 for the site and all associated trademarks.

The second event I witnessed in person, and can attest to its truthfulness fully. Living in Adirondack (NY), I do a lot of walking. Here, there, everywhere, it doesn't really matter, if I have to go places, I walk, as do most citizens. This day, though, was unseasonably cold. The sky was gloomy and it began to rain hard. I sped up, making my way down the street to the local Minimart, when I spied a figure with a trenchcoat pulled tight, walking faster than I imagined possible in such cold, windy weather. As the man brushed past, I realized who it was. Grabbing him firmly by the shoulder, I drew our site administrator, Schlaeps, down onto a bench. He was shaking and his speech slurred together. I tried to reason with him, but he was inconsolable, and I could only make out a few words such as, "Thick", "Brick", "site", "overtime", "caffeine", and... "revolution". His words stuck with me. Revolution? What did this mean? What could it mean?

I later pieced together that he had been in an argument with TaaB shortly before meeting me, and had been at her house in an attempt to discuss the administrator ship of the site, and she had brought up something personal which angered her greatly. I wanted to know more, but his heavily caffeinated state impaired discussion somewhat. A week later, I spoke to him in chat, and he cleared things up for me.

It was then that I learned about the site he had been working on day and night to break away from TaaB's rule. Then, that I found she had fired him upon finding this site, and publicly tarnished his good name. It was then that I learned of the creation of Brickfilmers.com.

I apologize for not typing further, the rage I feel thinking back on these events makes my hands tremble to an unbearable degree. I might continue further soon, there are other curious incidents which merit inclusion in your film as well, I'm just not in a state to write them now.

Thanks! That's gold! I think I have enough to work on, the only thing I need is the names of the gallant brickfilmers who were the first members on the site! The first ones. Great work Squash!

| Website |

Wow. Squash, all this for a website about moving plastic toys in minuscule increments? Quite an interesting story though.

Brickfilmer a decade ago, now looking to relive the glory days mini/smile

Squash truly is the Gourd of Truth.

It's really quite a story. Now that the whole controversy is over I think it's time to talk about a top secret operation back when all of this turmoil was going on. A number of brickfilmers had actually travelled down to the NY area as part of a conspiracy to quite literally overthrow TaaB's dictatorship. Among them were some of the most prominent brickfilmers like MindGame and LOTL. Even Buxton flew in from the UK to participate.

Unfortunately, this small team hadn't prepared this plan enough. TaaB was able to get wind of it, and the whole group was actually jailed for a day and a half. It's a good thing there were no real grounds to keep the guys locked up, though Buxton did end up not being allowed to come to the US ever again.

Oh man, that was a nightmare. I couldn't even believe they did that when I first heard about it.
As things went on I was getting worried someone would burn her (TaaB) house down or something, especially after the C&D.

Don't forget the refugee camp. The interviews I've conducted with those who made it out are heartbreaking. The squalor, the filth, the disease? It's hard to believe people could survive in such a hellhole, much less emerge with the victorious spirit that helped make this site a reality. Every member of BiM owes a debt to these brave, industrious people.

BertL wrote:

It's really quite a story. Now that the whole controversy is over I think it's time to talk about a top secret operation back when all of this turmoil was going on. A number of brickfilmers had actually travelled down to the NY area as part of a conspiracy to quite literally overthrow TaaB's dictatorship. Among them were some of the most prominent brickfilmers like MindGame and LOTL. Even Buxton flew in from the UK to participate.

Unfortunately, this small team hadn't prepared this plan enough. TaaB was able to get wind of it, and the whole group was actually jailed for a day and a half. It's a good thing there were no real grounds to keep the guys locked up, though Buxton did end up not being allowed to come to the US ever again.

Thats scary. I know the community was upset but that was too extreme

Being jailed? Dictatorship? Banned from USA? Refugee camp? This stuff doesn't even sound brickfilming-related. Tell us more. Story like, how Squash said it. This is amazing.

Brickfilmer a decade ago, now looking to relive the glory days mini/smile

I think megablocks is behind all of this.

Squash wrote:

Grabbing him firmly by the shoulder, I drew our site administrator, Schlaeps, down onto a bench. He was shaking and his speech slurred together. I tried to reason with him, but he was inconsolable, and I could only make out a few words such as, "Thick", "Brick", "site", "overtime", "caffeine", and... "revolution". His words stuck with me. Revolution? What did this mean? What could it mean?

This sounds like the Schlaeps I knew, too.   I tracked him to downtown Manhattan, in some hovel of a dining establishment. It was raining. I offered to write a check in order to buy BiM from him; he said he preferred small bills, ready before Friday night, because iPhone apps are generally very reasonably priced.  Though initially he was reluctant to make any kind of agreement, he muttered something about the database passwords being changed by Mediatemple, then remarked that he needed to finish what he'd started.

The second time we talked was at an Apple store in Brooklyn, where he was checking out the latest iPod touch model and tweeting about it from his iPhone.  I gently reminded him that BiM was falling apart for lack of moderation or administration, and he came to see reason, handing in his resignation shortly thereafter.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Wow, I never actually knew about all the crazy stuff that went on "back in the day, when DINOSAURS ruled the earth! *stomp stomp*" That's a pretty intense story though. I half wish I had been around to see it.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

We need to write a novel or two about this.  Fiction or non-fiction it would be great.

EddieHasscle wrote:

Ok honestly, this isn't going where I wanted. mini/no

Ha ha, welcome to the internet.

BertL, man, I thought we agreed not to talk about that.

I happened to drop back in on Brickfilms.com right about the time that the dookie was really hitting the fan. Having been a member since the Jason Era, it was really sad to see what the side devolved into.

My only regret: not being able to help the strike team. I really think my knowledge of Lego-based firearms would have made a difference on the front lines. mini/eh

~Never Knows Best~

Jargon wrote:

The squalor, the filth, the disease?

The lolcats, the forum games. At dark story nights, I can still smell the foul stench of 'The Attractive Female Actresses Thread'......

YouTube
Max, She/They