Hopefully the latter.

Re: Brickfilms/Bricks in Motion Split

What is the Hacker Incident?

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

goldencamerastudios wrote:

What is the Hacker Incident?

Noodle wrote:

Don't forget about the hacking incident.

Back in early 2009, a team of cybercriminals on the Adirondack Company's payroll hacked the accounts of several older BiM members. They then used these accounts to spread disquiet, express disapproval with BiM, and advertise a return to BF--their job was to basically attempt to tear the site down before it started. Schlaeps had to put together a team to root them out and take them down... I don't remember who all was involved, but I think Sloth created a tracking program and Aled hacked onto the attackers' computers and installed it. The program disabled the hackers' systems to prevent further attacks and sent us GPS coordinates of the offenders' locations. Once their locations were pinpointed, nearby BiM members were called into service to confront them with the evidence. Most of them admitted defeat and moved on, but one guy in Minneapolis gave us trouble and we actually had to get the NSA involved. But we got him. He's doing 10 years last I heard.

The whole thing was kept pretty quiet (we were all pretty embarrassed about it), and all of the hackers' posts were deleted for obvious reasons, so not many members knew about the whole incident. It was ugly for a while.

It's really a shame what happened with TaaB because a month before the purchase I know Pierres (who ran the podcast) he was in talks with the agent of Mr T. It had turned out that he had caught a episodes of the podcast on iTunes and was so enthralled with it that he was interested in making a charity brickfilm of the A-Team and he was wanting Pierre to get RevMen to inform the site. If the purchase had just been put off for one more week then it would have happened because  Mr T was going to register on brickfilms for the grand announcement. However his agent saw what was happening and saw that the internal structure was falling apart and the whole charity A-Team brickfilm fell apart.

Mr T never brickfilmed again.

That's a shame. mini/sad
Just think, the awesomeness of Mr. T + the awesomeness of the BF.com (before TaaB)...

Studiol30 wrote:
BertL wrote:

You mean at the front end (like, on the forums) or behind the scenes (in the real lifez)?

Were you involved in either way? mini/XD

Well, on the forums I resigned from my position as Minister of Information. Basically, I was in charge over the Resources. This was done together with a number of other Ministers to show that we were against the new management.

Behind the scenes I didn't do that much. I was part of most planning (that is, I read most of what the others said about the project), but being a poor hobo from Europe I couldn't fly over to the US.

Yeah, from now on, dont expect any facts about the Split (or as I like to call it: The Apocalypse *lighting strike*)

Studiol30 wrote:

Were you involved in either way?

Thats what she said. Duh hur.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Well, on the forums I resigned from my position as Minister of Information. Basically, I was in charge over the Resources.

I think you are mistaken, Bert. I was under the impression that the MoI updated the front page and chose the featured film for the month. I was Minister of Film Resources after the old guard resigned, are you sure that wasn't your position?

0ldScratch wrote:

Careful what you say here, BertL. I'm pretty sure the feds still keep an eye on this site.

Not to mention lawyers.

mini/shifty

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Squash wrote:

Well, on the forums I resigned from my position as Minister of Information. Basically, I was in charge over the Resources.

I think you are mistaken, Bert. I was under the impression that the MoI updated the front page and chose the featured film for the month. I was Minister of Film Resources after the old guard resigned, are you sure that wasn't your position?

No, I've never been in charge of the front page or featured film of the month. But I was wrong about what I did. I was in charge over the BF Wiki, not the Resources. Sorry, I've been quite occupied with the BiM Resources lately, so I kind of mixed up the two jobs.

I remember a few years back not being a member, but reading alot of the forum on brickfilms.com. I remember thinking when I get better at animating I will join brickfilms.com. When I heard of the split I was quite sad actually. Almost like the end of an era. I am glad however that BiM is such a good site.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I joined the world only a few years after, but I remember the aftermath quite well. The economy was in shambles, war had erupted in several places, and nuclear weapons were now in the hands of unstaable people.

Oh, wait, that was the Soviet split.

But I actually did join the brickfilming community in August of '08, only 9 months after the backlash, and while the forums were certainly quieter than they were in the past, it was still fairly active.

this is so intriguing... I'm normally completely bored by history... this was very exciting to read

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12980977/sigmachine.png
YouTube uncompleted project: filming not in progress

Wow... I must say, when I read the title for this thread I thought this would be a two-page thread of simple discussion, but now that I'm hearing of the tremendous amount of anger and sadness that TaaB sucked out from the people who made Brickfilms.com, it's heart wrenching. The people who really cared for the hobby they were in love with, and the people who were funny, the people who always knew how to make good films were made somewhat obsolete with TaaB's reign. And unfortunately, TaaB has seemed to disintegrate the luster the world of brickfilming once had. Back then, people didn't care about getting thousands of subscribers, or perfecting animation, and effects, the ones who made brickfilming what it really was were people who knew how to express their happiness, their silliness, and in some cases, anger, or sadness, and ultimately combined it beautifully into their films. This thread is probably the most emotional thread I've participated in, because of the enormous lengths people took to revive their old roots, and stop the anarchy that had been so uncomfortably smashed onto their lives. Now, I know I may seem like I'm getting a little bit out of hand here, so I'm going to stop and pay a visit to brickfilms.com, and watch some old masterpieces.

~Lamplight

Last edited by Lamplight (November 24, 2010 (10:52pm))

WE NEED MORE GOOD BRICKFILMS PEOPLE.

You see this post above me? Read it.

Stop making brickfilms about nerds arguing over Pokemon or Batman shooting (YES SHOOTING. WTF?) Joker to a thousand tiny bits!!

I try to pour every last ounce of emotion I have into my films, which is probably why I'm so heartless here on BiM. mini/wink

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

Is the server down? Hopefully this is only temporary. I have a lot of stuff on the server on my subdomain i need to backup.

I'm actually mainly bothered by the criticalness I see. I can understand critiquing things to help them, but sometimes it's just best to be nice to someone and make them feel their work is appreciated more. I also agree with Lamplight - I personally believe Brickfilms should just be about expressing yourself in any way you like, and just to have fun doing it and producing something creative, no matter what the standard. For instance, I find films from the likes of JustKidden and LGFB to be my favourites.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

watevah dawg. mod edit: no thanks

what the crap are ya'll talkin about. there was never any arrests made over a stupid website. i was actually there and all. ya'll smokin some dank stuff.