Re: Café Corner

Squid wrote:
Loïc F-B wrote:

I feel sorry to be totally inactive here...

I know I'm missing a lot of great stuff. mini/blankexpression

Hope the community is in good shape.

I'm still not done with my film.

I still won't be done with it for a while.

Have you been busy with other things or have you just been staying on the French site more recently?

I didn't miss your film, that's a good start... mini/tongue

I've been busy with other things, but yeah, there's a lot of work to do in the french community. It's a big site now, we have about 800 members.

Squid wrote:

Does anyone know how to animate a 15 FPS diagonal walk-cycle?

I was planning to use my usual trick of building an off camera thing to make it really easy, but I'd like to do a much wider shot as well, and for that I need a true diagonal cycle.
But if I can't find one, I could just settle for shooting it differently.

I suppose you want to animate on studs and want to show the legs touching them.
If you're doing something comical/cartoony, you can try doing the jumpy walk in the Lego Movie.
If you're not going to show the feet, you can diagonally place a 2x10 on a surface and stick it down with tac.
I might try out some tests when I have the time.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

Well, I finally managed to execute the diagonal shot in question, and I managed to do it without a close up.

I was able to angle it just right as so the protagonist's parked car hid the man's legs, but it was still a rather wide shot which showed much of the town.

For some reason, I have a knack for finding creepy things on ebay.
Seriously, I don't go looking for this weird stuff. Weird stuff just likes to follow me I guess…

Creepy link

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

If you do not seek out the weird creepy stuff, the weird creepy stuff will seek out you.

So, anyway, after a year or so of hearing about this Elysium known as Steam, I have finally decided to join this thing so I may play that most hallowed of games, Team Fortress 2, which I am currently downloading.  Since the "Meet the Team" videos and suchlike were a great source of inspiration for my current Brickfilming project. I figured "eh, might as well".  And I'm probably going to be a complete noob since I know basically nothing about gaming or Steam or how anything works in this system for that matter.  Feel free to add me or something so you can laugh at my incoming ineptness.

Also, I remember hearing there is a Brickfilming Steam group, which I'd love to know how to join, once I actually figure out what groups do and what their purpose is.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Well you're ahead of me. #stuckwithawii. mini/lol

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

Welcome to Team Fortress 2!  After nine years of development, hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Well, TF2 takes a horribly long time to download.  It's annoying.

Something I found really helpful for when I started playing it is the TF2 Wiki, which has several useful strategy guides which are quite clear and not too long.  They help point out simple things which you might have not found out until later.

I think a good class for starting up would be heavy or medic.  Everybody loves medics.  Although they aren't very useful unless you have heavies/pyros/demos on your team.  Heavy is pretty nice to play, as aiming precisely isn't as important, and all of that health and fire-power can be really useful to your team even if you're pretty new.
I'd suggest waiting a good while before you try spy.  In my experience, spies are the most difficult class to play at first.  It will take quite some time to get the hang of it.  But if you do then they can be great.

I'd also suggest focusing mainly on a single game-mode for a little while, as switching a lot can be quite confusing, especially since you don't know the maps, which at first may seem like a maze.
Capture the Flag is my personal favourite mode.  I'd recommend playing that and starting on defense, as your base is generally much safer than anywhere else in the map.  Plus understanding your own base in detail will better prepare you for understanding the layout of the enemy base, which is exactly the same.

Thanks and have fun!

Go sniper. Scope in and never move.

To add to what Squid said, there's a bot-mode accessible via Training on the start menu that will let you get a feel for what each of the classes can do before you go out into pubs.

Squash wrote:

People like you are the reason that the economy's in the crapper.

Anyone else here play Smite? It's a really fun MOBA and it's one of the two games I play regularly now (read: at least once a week)

Also, if anyone here has Smash for 3DS/Wii U, we should totally play sometime.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Well, that's good to know.... I guess.

Anyway, this is my Steam profile, so feel free to add me (since I'm not able to add other people as I haven't bought any games yet) if you feel thus inclined.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I've just started watching Twin Peaks this week, and it was so good that on a whim, I randomly tweeted Kyle McLachlan (a great actor who I already liked from Agents of SHIELD).

HE TWEETED BACK! THIS IS AMAAAAAAZING!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/1620851_793417524079362_2111592364545166938_n.jpg?oh=171e00c3d6ba48cf5516ad581c61b769&oe=554D0482&__gda__=1435338581_ca5633aab0ecc041bc02ca7f9eceba59

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Lucky mini/tongue

That actor played a really silly character in HIMYM, which made it really hard to take SHIELD seriously.  I've never seen Twin Peaks, but I feel like the same thing might happen.  Maybe.  Is it that good?

Squash wrote:

(Some actual sniper tips here)
If you are having trouble with spawn campers, Snipers I find can be an amazing anti-camper.  Just pick up some jarate and throw it out.  Keep going back to your locker to grab another jar and just keep spamming jarate.  There is no way the enemy will be able to keep it up once your team-mates start mini-criting them.

Also, as a sniper I really like using the Huntsman and just throwing arrows at the door to the enemy base.  Every once in a while someone will pop out and get hit by one as the arrow goes along.

Squid wrote:

That actor played a really silly character in HIMYM, which made it really hard to take SHIELD seriously.  I've never seen Twin Peaks, but I feel like the same thing might happen.  Maybe.  Is it that good?

Squash wrote:

Very good.

I really enjoyed his roles in both HIMYM and AOS (particularly the latter, as he made for a fantastic villain).

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Twin Peaks is just friggin great. I feel like it could definitely give you some creative influence Squid.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Tobias wrote:

Twin Peaks is just friggin great. I feel like it could definitely give you some creative influence Squid.

I've watched the first 3 episodes, and so far it seems really cool! This is the first thing I've seen of David Lynch, and so far I really like his style. The only problem is that I have so many shows that I need to watch right now (Angel, Scrubs, Breaking Bad, Agent Carter, The Flash, Brooklyn 99, Supernatural, 30 Rock) that its really hard to get ahead on any one of them.

Just as an aside, was Twin Peaks shot on film? When I was watching the last episode I saw and the opening came on, I came upon the realization of just how gorgeous every shot looked. Like, it just has to be.

Since we got off from school every day last week due to snow and how totally -30F it was, I got to watch a whole lot of movies. I do kindof wish I watched more of the above mentioned shows, but these were some dang fine films, that I'll review in that one thread real soonish.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Must add Twin Peaks to my long list of things I ought to watch...

Aside from that, I've been working on a personal website for a while, it's finally (sort of) live. It's basically to showcase my art and animation for apply to internships and such. It's still a bit rough around the edges (spacings a bit off, does weird things at small resolutions) but it'd be cool if you guys could give it a look here: jon-rolph.co.uk

That's a very sleek looking website. Very refined. Yeah, some of it's tad dodgy (the stuff you've pointed out already) but overall it's very clean and minimalistic.

Just had a moment of wonder: discovered that I can wobble my patella slightly. It's an odd feeling, and while I'm not a squeamish person by any means, the fact that it does move makes me shiver a bit (and I get this feeling of numbness in my left hand whenever I'm a bit grossed out by something, and that feeling's there now and making it a wee bit difficult to type). I wouldn't recommend it, but I thought it was an interesting observation. It always fascinated me when I was little that bones didn't just look together with screws; it was only after reading about shark biology that I really came to understand how cartilage worked.

Sorry, that was extremely weird of me.

jampot wrote:
Squid wrote:

Very good.

I really enjoyed his roles in both HIMYM and AOS (particularly the latter, as he made for a fantastic villain).

Maybe I could just use my hand to cover the lower portion of his face, leaving only the creepy more serious top half.

Lego Tardis.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG