Re: Café Corner

dewfilms wrote:

Lego Tardis.

Beautiful!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I'm not even a Doctor Who fan and I can appreciate how amazing that is.

This is a must get limited edition set! It is in the "classic space" design, made by someone on LEGO Ideas. I believe that it is only being sold through the month of February, so hurry up!

I got the Exo-Suit earlier this year from a curator program I did with ReBrick. My box is signed, which is cool, I guess. The set is... meh. It is super fragile. I'm surprised they are discontinuing the set so early, though, seeing as they haven't discontinued the BTTF car. (I guess it's not doing so well because it's not licensed)

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I'm really annoyed by the suit's green classic spacemen.  That's a horrible colour for them.  It goes against the good old blue/yellow/red/white/black.  Those colour benefit each other quite well, but green does not fit in.

Although, Benny's spaceship make the error of including dark grey, which is also against true classic space's limited colour range. but that's not as much of an issue.

That "someone" on Lego Ideas also made this list of rules.

Pete's model is also a bit incorrect with all of the dark grey (it may as well be a bit too much for some, but not me though), the random trans-yellow bits and the blue technic bits (i mostly consider to use blue for panelling and not necesarily for mechanical bits like technic bits).

And how are the green spacemen annoying? It's great to see new spacemen. The older ones aren't being produced anymore anyway.

signature

Pete didn't have a lot of choice in the colours used in the final set. His original model was all light grey with a white spacedude but the designers at Lego had to work with the parts that were available. We only got green spacedudes because the TMNT sets meant that green hands, arms, legs and torsos were all in production at the same time. If not for them, it might not have been classic space themed at all.

Also, rioforce, if you think the official set is fragile you should try the original. It falls apart if you just look at it.

I just watch POWER/RANGERS, the short fan film and it was awesome. I don't know why Saban is making a big deal out of it. It is a fan film, and a profit is not being made. If anything, it brought more attention to the power rangers. Copyright is a mortal man's enemy.  mini/no

funmiproductions wrote:

I just watch POWER/RANGERS, the short fan film and it was awesome. I don't know why Saban is making a big deal out of it. It is a fan film, and a profit is not being made. If anything, it brought more attention to the power rangers. Copyright is a mortal man's enemy.  mini/no

I disliked it. As a massive Power Rangers fan, I felt it went against the spirit of the show; it felt more like an analog for Power Rangers, using the material of the show for something else, than a deconstruction of the show (despite the writer's assurances that he was working on the idea that the original teens would develop PTSD, which is irrelevant to the final short film). However, as a deconstruction of the notion of 'dark and gritty reboots', it's absolutely fantastic, and a wonderfully well-crafted comment on what is a dangerous road for Hollywood to take: too light and it's inaccessible to the wider market, too dark and you wreck the source material. Unfortunately, most of the comments I've seen are people saying "I wish this was a real movie!" and I feel like they've missed the point of the short film; it's become a victim of its own success and the message is lost.

One of the other problems with the short film is something very well articulated by none other than Jason David Frank himself - the original Green/White Power Ranger, from Mighty Morphin'. The actual show is still ongoing and while the association between that and the fan film is active, it's a dangerous thing to have plastered all over the news. A kid searching Power Rangers in Google will come up with at least 10 news stories linking back to the video, and in MPAA rating terms this would definitely be R-rated, not something the target audience of the show should come across. I think this is Saban's main issue, is that they don't want their currently active brand (which is about to get another movie next year) to be associated with something as vicious and gory as this; something that will horrify a generation of digitally-active 8 year olds.

But despite not liking it myself, I'm sad that Saban decided to take it down. It's a not-for-profit fan film and I'm pretty sure it comes under fair use, and I think that as with many issues of copyright this comes down to an obstruction of freedom of speech. Forgive me if it sounds like I'm taking this too far, or making too broad a statement, but while I hope none of the Samurai/Megaforce/Dino Charge era of young fans come across the short film, I think the fact it's been censored from the internet is a great shame. Adi Shankar and Joseph Kahn (the creators) are entitled to create a tribute to the show, which in some ways is what they did (though personally I think it shows great disrespect to the show) and fan films in general come under something of a grey area legally-speaking, or at least not-for-profit ones do. However, the most I know about Law is an AS level, so not much, so I can't really comment on the legal status of Shankar or Saban's actions.

To sum up, I didn't like it at all, and I understand Saban's reasons for wanting it removed, but that doesn't mean I think it should have been removed. I'm sorry to anyone who genuinely enjoyed it, but I really think this is an example of a well-crafted piece of garbage who only true meaning has been devalued by an audience that only sees it for its surface flash. I also think it's a great shame that the mass audiences of today can't enjoy lighter-toned material and simply see something as 'fun'.

If you are interested in seeing decent, true Power Rangers, either watch the original series of Mighty Morphin', Ninja Storm, or Jungle Fury.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

0ldScratch wrote:

Pete didn't have a lot of choice in the colours used in the final set. His original model was all light grey with a white spacedude but the designers at Lego had to work with the parts that were available. We only got green spacedudes because the TMNT sets meant that green hands, arms, legs and torsos were all in production at the same time. If not for them, it might not have been classic space themed at all.

Also, rioforce, if you think the official set is fragile you should try the original. It falls apart if you just look at it.

Listen to the man, he knows pete IRL.

Also I don't find the set fragile, Its actually quite sturdy. I bought mine at the Lego Store on launch day. This space theme starvation is driving me nuts!

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

Rest in peace Leonard Nimoy

"Every life comes to an end when time demands it. Loss of life is to be mourned, but only if the life was wasted."

"Live Long And Prosper"
-Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

It's how he would want to be remembered.

Squash wrote:

I was going to post this same link.  You have beaten me to it.

This scene will always be a bit sadder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhcR-w-56tA

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I feel a bit bad for only really having seen Leonard Nimoy as Dr William Bell in Fringe, though I really liked his role in that.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mickey wrote:

"Live Long And Prosper"
-Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)

Perfect line. Farewell Mr. Spock.

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

Squash wrote:

I saw that Squash posted a link and was like "This is going to be the Bilbo Baggins thing." I was not disappointed.

jampot wrote:

I disliked it. As a massive Power Rangers fan, I felt it went against the spirit of the show; it felt more like an analog for Power Rangers, using the material of the show for something else, than a deconstruction of the show (despite the writer's assurances that he was working on the idea that the original teens would develop PTSD, which is irrelevant to the final short film). However, as a deconstruction of the notion of 'dark and gritty reboots', it's absolutely fantastic, and a wonderfully well-crafted comment on what is a dangerous road for Hollywood to take: too light and it's inaccessible to the wider market, too dark and you wreck the source material. Unfortunately, most of the comments I've seen are people saying "I wish this was a real movie!" and I feel like they've missed the point of the short film; it's become a victim of its own success and the message is lost.

Mighty Morphin, Dino Thunder, and Mystic Force are my preferences. To be honest, Power rangers is extremely repetitive. The short film gets the team a different challenge to face this time round. As well, in the film, they could actually die. The danger is real. BTW, the film has been brought back online, legally of course. There is an age restriction of course. Now, I get that power rangers is generally for kids, but it shouldn't been limited to their age category. The film should have maybe removed the nudity and bloody violence, and aimed for a pg-13 type rating.

Let's be honest. High school kids trained to fight an intergalactic threat would turn those kids into some seriously disturbed adults.

Last edited by funmiproductions (February 28, 2015 (10:34am))

Everywhere on the news, they said, "He lived long and prospered."  It seemed like they were waiting for years to use that.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."