Re: Café Corner

Yes PR is repetitive, but there are far better ways to make it interesting than going dark and gritty. Dino Thunder started along the right lines with the White Ranger saga (plus it included some subtle but ingenious fan service) and Jungle Fury also had a decent arc that often broke out of the traditional format, particularly towards the end of the series.

The Rangers are superheroes, and I think a reboot should be treated the same as any superhero film. The tone of the 2012 Avengers or Pacific Rim would work perfectly for most series of Power Rangers; engaging and with good character development (not to mention how it skilfully balances a whole team) but balanced with spectacular action. There doesn't need to be excessive blood or anything to make it interesting.

But I also don't think the short is in the spirit of Power Rangers. The only morphed fight is nothing like a fight is in the show, Rita's actions are interchangeable with any shapeshifter (something I don't remember her explicitly being), there's no reason for Rocky's betrayal, in the opening the rangers would never go into battle with actual guns...the list goes on. The Power Ranger elements that were actually used aren't anything that was unique to or special about the show (except Tommy and Kimberley's romance). It could have been a dark reboot of any silly kids show.

I also think it's a shame that it takes something as hideous as this to raise public interest in Power Rangers.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Everywhere on the news, they said, "He lived long and prospered."  It seemed like they were waiting for years to use that.

They were.

GEF wrote:
HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Everywhere on the news, they said, "He lived long and prospered."  It seemed like they were waiting for years to use that.

They were.

Well, he did live long and prosper, didn't he?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I'm not disuting that.  I just mean that they couldn't wait for the opportunity to tell the joke.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Guys, I actually worked on a brickfilm this weekend, it was great. My school isn't satisfied with all my money, they apparently need all my time too. mini/tongue

Does anyone know if the chat is broken at all? I don't seem to be able to enter.

The link here messes up every once in a while. Try going to Mibbit.com directly, then searching for the BiM chat.
That's what I've gotta do nearly every time I feel the urge to chat.

This should help too: http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … wont-work/

I'm having a bit of a dilemma at the moment.

On the one hand, I'm really enjoying what I've been doing with the Marvel Brickfilm Universe lately. Not only has it given me a chance to work on some levels of action I wouldn't necessarily attempt in an original brickfilm (most of my own ideas are much more grounded or, uh, quieter) but it also feels great to engage with material that I love. I consume a massive amount of comics (I currently have about 10gb on my computer alone, not to mention all the physical comics I own) so it's fun for me to try and reinterpret some of those stories or characters into LEGO form. I also want to do the same for some of my favourite DC superheroes at some point too.

I feel like I should be doing more of my own stuff - it's not like I have a shortage of ideas - but at the moment at least, I just don't feel motivated enough to do any of them beyond the odd episode of Vampire Town, and I'm feeling like I may even stop that once I've reached the fourth episode (episode 2 is mostly filmed, 3 is written, 4 is fully planned). This isn't the "are original brickfilms better" debate, I just feel like all the material I've come up with is going to waste. I wish I had time to work on everything but compromises have to be made, and ultimately I'm more motivated to do my Marvel stuff, but I still feel it's a shame not to be using the wizards/agents/monsters material I spent so long working on last year. Maybe I'd feel differently if the BFCU had taken off, though I doubt it. I guess I just have too many ideas but it's still difficult to say yes to one thing and no to another.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

That is the dilemma of every brickfilmer.
And there's not really a right or wrong answer.

If you want to work on the Marvel stuff, feel free to. A lot of people don't care for licensed shorts, but they are not the ones putting their time and energy into these projects, you are. One question you could ask would be: "In five years, which would I rather show off? And which would I be most proud of?"

Yes, you can take into account what your audience may want to see, and what others may appreciate either more or less, but these are your films. You decide what you want to make. I prefer original ideas myself, but have also made a number of licensed shorts. I think there is a balance that can be struck. Personally, I'm trying to keep a variety, to sharpen my ability to work in both environments, and expand all my skills as a filmmaker. Many directors deliberately try new styles of films just to gain the experience and do something different, so if you do pick Marvel, try to release something else every once in a while to keep yourself out of a rut. It's easy to just do whatever you're comfortable with, but you need to stretch yourself and grow too.

You obviously have a love for superheroes, and you can channel that into making high-quality, enjoyable supplements to all these movies and comics and everything that are popular right now. You're more motivated to work on that, and that's a big factor.

As you know, something will have to fade, a lot of effort will seemingly go to waste, but in reality, you still learn from those things, even if the final movies never materialized. I've had tons of ideas that I had to forget because of various reasons. Don't get too caught up in that, instead, look ahead to what you will finish. In fact, I recently finished pages upon pages of storyboards for a school film project, only for the whole idea to be trashed and mostly rewritten. It was sad to see that wasted, but ultimately I learned a lot, it helped my drawing skills, and I'm fairly happy with how the final video turned out.

So yeah, I'd tell you to follow your heart, but that's not always the greatest of ideas.
Right now, I'd say if you wanna go with Marvel, and are motivated towards that, then that's what you should do.
Just don't forget to release something else every once in a while.

One of the things I guess I want to prove is that licensed brickfilms can be just as good as original ones, which is why I'm moving away from doing shorts. My upcoming Black Panther brickfilm (and Invasion to an extent) is an attempt at making something that's told more as a story in itself than relying on the gimmick of "look at this video! it's awesome because Lego + Avengers!", which is what the first two Avengers Tower episodes were (I regret nothing).

The thing is that while I'm proud of a lot of my superhero work so far, and it's helped me develop a lot of my skills, the thing I look back on as being my best brickfilm is Ozymandias, which I made well over a year ago for college (the UK meaning of college, not university). I consider that my greatest success for so many reasons, but mainly for things that I don't know that I could apply to telling a licensed IP storytelling (for instance, telling an upbeat and almost storybook post-apoc story, which I don't think there are many of).

At some point this year, I have another 'proper story' I want to tell; a brickfilm about a single Hunnic warrior lost in battle. It's something I've been writing for quite a while and like Ozymandias, I think it's something I'd come out of feeling very proud of. The balance thoughis that I don't want to rush it while my drive is currently geared more in favour of something else; if I do the Hun thing, I don't want it to be rushed and half-hearted.

Originally, I started the year with a plan to alternate between different projects. I think I may go back to that. Change is as good as a rest, as you say.

This will be an interesting news story to keep an eye on.
Lego seeks US ban of 'strikingly similar' toy sets.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Happy pi day!

https://ruspieclub.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/3-14-pie.jpg

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Not just any pi day, ultimate pi day: it's 3/14/15, so be sure to eat some pi at 9:26, because it's 3.1415926.

I wish I could take greater advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime day. But I've eaten pie, I guess that's all I'm really obliged to do.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I ate a Klondike Bar for Pie Day. mini/bigsmile

Yo, I ate a KitKat Bar.

So I guess you could say I'm the hottest crap in the bathroom staaaaalll. You could also say I deserve to have it aaaaaaaaallll.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Sméagol wrote:

I wish I could take greater advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime day. But I've eaten pie, I guess that's all I'm really obliged to do.

We tried to go out to a local pizza place that had regular one topping pizza pies for $3.14 (today only of course).
When we got there… mini/twitch
Well, the line was wrapped around the restaurant in the shape of a pie at least.

YouTube/Twitter/SG

"Pi Day" is also, fittingly, Albert Einstein's birthday. By serendipity, it's the first posthumous birthday of the Chic Fil-A founder, Truett Cathy.  The "local" (45 mins away) Chick Fil-A didn't have any specials for the day.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

There's no Chick Fil-A anywhere near where I live, but you always want it on a Sunday, though.

uh oh!

Happy Paddy's Day.

I swear I will stab the first person to call it Pattys day.]

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am