Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Discussion Thread

Sonjira wrote:

The movie is playing at a theater nearby, though I will be away at Brickflix the date of the only showing. mini/sad
Ah well, Brickflix is probably a better time. Maybe the Carolina will be showing it?:)

Here's a list of showings: Link

It seems that most theaters aren't showing it on the 29th, (I'm assuming that when you'd be looking since you be done with Brickflix)  There's an EG theater in Durham, but it's not playing on that day.
The only one in North Carolina showing the film on the 29th is in Charlotte at 11 A.M.  So perhaps you could time your return trip correctly if you're going to be heading back through that way and stop to see it.  (Though, I have no idea from what direction you'll come to get to brickflix).

There could be another theater on your long route back.

Watched a cam recording of it.

Not nearly as bad as I feared. Chockablock full of fanservice in the way of references (though to be fair, the setting does legitimately facilitate this) and to be honest the subtle background references were the bits I enjoyed most. The story makes sense in the overall arc of FiM thus far and I can respect that the people working on it evidently made as much of an effort as they were able to make it not cringeworthy.

That said, I didn't enjoy it enough that I plan to watch a "proper" version of it when they're available. Had I the choice I would opt for season 3 to have had 26 episodes and no movie any day.

Its existence comes down to Hasbro wanting a "human" doll to go up against the likes of Barbie and Bratz. And with FiM doing so well, it essentially became a victim of its own popularity that Hasbro decided to simply use that as a launching point for these.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Barg8PPqcTg/UaPjLRuZOcI/AAAAAAABars/KRQhd_bSxOw/s640/1.JPG

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Those dolls are a little bit super disturbing.
But I wouldn't buy them even if they were really good, so I don't care.

At least you didn't completely hate the movie.  Though, even as someone who thoroughly enjoyed it, I probably would have preferred a full season over it.
But at least we'll have a full season next time. mini/smile
Still have about six months to go...

i'm very disappointed that scootaloo didn't even talk in this movie

very disappointed. they just reused the cutie mark crusaders song. very disappointed.

mini/confused

Spoiler (click to read)

no i actually really liked it and i thought it was cute. good movie. lots of great dialog and the animation was great (for the most part, there were parts where it kind of went off and looked pretty bad, but for the most part it was pretty good)i actually really liked the whole twilight and flash sentry thing. really cute. i'm happy scootaloo was even in the movie, really dug her character design

oh also: fluttershy wears a wife-beater shirt.

ok

Last edited by Just Kidden (June 29, 2013 (08:54pm))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Season 4 preview at Comic Con
It's not really a spoiler.  It shows some clips from various episodes as storyboards.

I really like the look of it.  I can't wait to see it as actual animation.  Hopefully, Hasbro will release this on the internet so we don't have to watch a camera recording.

Scootaloo Episode.
Super hero episode.
Another good song.

However, I'm actually not a fan of Night Mare Moon's return.  I liked good Luna.  I thought she left her dark side behind her.  I'm really hoping this is due to some magical thing making Luna evil, kinda like with Trixie.

scoota FRICKIN loo episode

pumped

Just Kidden wrote:

scoota FRICKIN loo episode

pumped

Me too.  Even if it does contain scootasadness.  I'm sure she'll be happy in the end. mini/smile
I'm glad that we're finally getting an episode where Scoolaloo's lack of flight is addressed.  I'm guessing RD will teach her to fly, or she'll find some creative way to fly like in many fan creations, or she'll just accept that she can't fly and be happy for who she is.
Either way, it sounds interesting.

Wow, that looks really cool. Can't wait for the start of S4.

I'm personally intrigued to see what they'll do with this Luna thing. I wouldn't think Trixie would be behind it, cause I wouldn't think that her magic could work on a rank as high as princess. But, I could be wrong. Either way, I'm pretty excited to see what's in store.

I've really not been paying attention to anything happening with the bronies :C I assume I will once season four starts but I'm a bit tired of all fandoms now. Not just bronies but also Homestuxk and Sherlock and then all the ones I'm not even a part of. Don't worry they didn't do anything wrong I'm just taking a break from all this controversy.

Bronies are really cynical now though. I'm really hoping this is like the awkward hormonal teenager phase of the fandom and soon it will blossom into a beautiful and perfect fandom that people respect. We've already passed the innocent and full of wonder phase that was back in season one.

bronies are horrible in general

don't get me wrong i dig the show

but bronies are a pretty crappy fanbase

Squid wrote:

However, I'm actually not a fan of Night Mare Moon's return.  I liked good Luna.  I thought she left her dark side behind her.  I'm really hoping this is due to some magical thing making Luna evil, kinda like with Trixie.

It's like you didn't even listen to what Luna was saying. "Bask in your precious light". Also with Twilight not recognising where they are, it's pretty easy to conclude that they're at the palace of the royal pony sisters in the Everfree forest, before it gets destroyed (which we see starting to happen in the clip). I'd hedge my bets that Twilight is seeing into Celestia's memories of that point in time.

Sean wrote:

I'd hedge my bets that Twilight is seeing into Celestia's memories of that point in time.

After I gave it a bit more thought, I also came to that same conclusion since my previous post.

It makes a lot of sense, especially since a re-born evil Luna would try to take out Celestia, Twilight, and Cadence simultaneously, not just Twi.

In that case, I'm really looking forward to a flashback episode, especially if they gave us some fresh pony lore on Celestia's life.

topitmunkeydog wrote:

I assume I will once season four starts but I'm a bit tired of all fandoms now. Not just bronies but also Homestuxk and Sherlock and then all the ones I'm not even a part of. Don't worry they didn't do anything wrong I'm just taking a break from all this controversy.

Bronies are really cynical now though. I'm really hoping this is like the awkward hormonal teenager phase of the fandom and soon it will blossom into a beautiful and perfect fandom that people respect. We've already passed the innocent and full of wonder phase that was back in season one.

*Unwarranted Off-Topic Opinion Alert*

I honestly don't get the point of obsessive fandoms.  Being part of a fandom just for the sake of being part of it strikes me as pretty pointless.  What's wrong with liking or loving a show, discussing it with others who do, and leaving it at that?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Just Kidden wrote:

bronies are horrible in general

don't get me wrong i dig the show

but bronies are a pretty crappy fanbase

Wat

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

FlyingMinifig wrote:
topitmunkeydog wrote:

I assume I will once season four starts but I'm a bit tired of all fandoms now. Not just bronies but also Homestuxk and Sherlock and then all the ones I'm not even a part of. Don't worry they didn't do anything wrong I'm just taking a break from all this controversy.

I honestly don't get the point of obsessive fandoms.  Being part of a fandom just for the sake of being part of it strikes me as pretty pointless.  What's wrong with liking or loving a show, discussing it with others who do, and leaving it at that?

There is no point. There's no escape. Save yourself before it's too late. hhueheuhuehuehue

topitmunkeydog wrote:
FlyingMinifig wrote:
topitmunkeydog wrote:

There is no point. There's no escape. Save yourself before it's too late. hhueheuhuehuehue

Nah, I prefer to introduce a little anarchy and love shows without being part of a fandom!  Hnnneeahahahahaaaaaaaaah!

Seriously, though, I don't see the purpose of obsessing over a certain TV shows or films to the degree some fandoms do.  If I did that with every show I liked or was even mildly interested in, my sanity would crumble.  Take Sherlock, for instance.  I actually overheard one of the people in my class saying that a friend of hers had to stop being a fan because "it was too much for her".  No joke.  Seriously?!   Being a fan should be something you enjoy doing, and do for fun, not something that is so exhausting you have to quit.  Excuse my judgement, but around 90% of Sherlock fans that I'm aware of appear to be supremely irritating teenage girls who won't shut up about about how sexy Benedict Cumberbatch is or what a cute couple Sherlock and "Jawn" are (despite the fact it's clearly stated they are not.).  And don't even get me started on that moronic fan-art... 

The irony here is these sort of fans completely miss the point of shows like Sherlock.  I personally like it because it's brilliantly written and manages to pay tribute to the original books while giving the stories a completely new and original twist, because the writers, directors and actors manage to hit exactly the right tone needed, and because every single episode I've seen is a complete standout.  But the way these so-called "fans" talk about Sherlock, they might just as well be Justin Bieber or One Direction obsessives.  And if Sherlock himself actually existed, he'd probably say that they are complete morons.

OK, I've ranted enough here (perhaps I shouldn't have brought it up in the first place...), so I shall stop inflicting my opinion on the World and let you all get on with discussing ponies. mini/wink

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

I actually hang out with that type of fan and while there are some that only watch it for Benny (my sister, ugh. She hasn't even seen all the episodes, phoney!!) most of them appreciate it in a much deeper way than just the show. Being part of a fandom offers a lot of solidarity to people because its a community. And honestly, people can enjoy a TV show however they want. Don't go around being like ur not a real fan because some enjoy being in a group and doing stuff like cosplay and shipping and stuff. And most of the Cumbercookies I know have actually been inspired to read the Doyle books, and that's including me. I actually like Study in Scarlet better than the TV adaptation, because evil mormons >:D

And also JohnLock is totally canon, bro. No heterosexual man comments on someone's cheekbones.

I wouldn't even consider telling people how to enjoy a show (perhaps my statement about that wasn't very clear) but you have to admit that basing your enjoyment of a show primarily on the physical attractiveness of its main character is pretty shallow.  If all you do is talk about how attractive one character or the other is, you're missing out on everything else the show has to offer.  And I never said things like Cosplaying would exclude someone from being a fan; if anything it makes someone even more of a fan as they are willing to devote time and money to dress up as characters from show, and in a way I admire their dedication.  I know for  fact that if I would dress up as a cartoon pony from a show originally targeted at pre-teen girls I would probably shrivel and die of embarrassment--though then again I'm not a Brony...  (Although I would enjoy dressing up as, say, characters from Doctor Who, or Sherlock, or DC Comics [especially The Joker]--but that's not relevant...)

Maybe I'm missing something here, but a large proportion of the comments I see on YouTube clips are usually about the physical attractiveness of Sherlock and John.  Also, "Cumbercookies"?  Many female Sherlock fans seem happy to call themselves.... something else.

Actually, in the first episode, Sherlock and John both state that they are heterosexual.  Also everyone seems to forget John has a girlfriend and Sherlock fell in love with Irene Adler.  It was Irene, not John, who first started the whole "cheekbone" thing too.  Many people in the show seem to assume Sherlock and John are a couple because they share a flat, and because they can't believe Sherlock would be capable of having friends or even being nice to people in general--but that doesn't necessarily mean they are anything more than friends.

Yeah but what I was saying is that all the Cumbercookies I know enjoy all the aspects of the show, including Benedict's face. It's possible to do both. I do know what you are talking about and those people annoy me too, but there are a lot less of those than you think. The only "shallow appreciators" I know are my sister.
Also, multiple cookies = a batch. Therefore multiple Cumbercookies = a Cumberbatch!
And also the big idea of shipping is developing an idea of a romance that's not there. Any TV show cannot show every aspect of a character, so it's good fun to imagine what their personal life would be like. And nobody really cares whether ships arent canon

Also no Sherlock is asexual and in the book Scanal in Bohemia it's stated that Holmes is not crushing on Irene, it's more of an admiration thing. I don't know if that's whats meant to come out of the show but that remains my views mini/smile

This review tearing apart Equestria Girls made more sense then the source material and was immensly more enjoyable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … Jipry5--QA