Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Discussion Thread

minifig051 wrote:

Who wrote it, anyway? I sure would like to know.

Meghan McCarthy, writer of Hearts and Hooves Day, A Canterlot Wedding, Lesson Zero, and other episodes, but I'm sure you remember that.
She is my second favourite writer, so it looks like it's in good hands. mini/smile

If Merryweather Williams were writing, though, I'd have little hope.

If this is successful enough, do you think that they might make another movie?  Maybe one with only ponies.

Pretty much a random thing but my mom is a teacher and she has a student named Megan McCarthy! When she said that I freaked out!

Squid wrote:

Forgive me for doubting you, but I still haven't heard anypony else besides you say that.

I believe in M. A. Larson Meghan McCarthy.

Also, Ingram himself said that the music would be "off the hook"  That itself makes it worthy of a try.

It's not exactly widespread knowledge. Meghan's great, but one good writer does not a good movie make. Music is nice, but it helps to be in context with something already being enjoyed.

As far as I can tell and/or know, Equestria Girls exists pretty much because Pony transcended being the crappy, sterotypical and blatantly "little girl" targeted brand and Hasbro wants that back because marketing. So they made Equestria Girls to be exactly those things, because in their experience, it sells.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

But hey, watch a trailer for Friendship is Magic, and tell me, if you were not a brony, what would you think of it? What I've learned from FiM and LPS is that the actual shows are almost always good but the marketing is just bad!

Sean wrote:
Squid wrote:

Forgive me for doubting you, but I still haven't heard anypony else besides you say that.

I believe in M. A. Larson Meghan McCarthy.

Also, Ingram himself said that the music would be "off the hook"  That itself makes it worthy of a try.

It's not exactly widespread knowledge. Meghan's great, but one good writer does not a good movie make. Music is nice, but it helps to be in context with something already being enjoyed.

yeah except the people who refused to work on it were storyboardists correct? the thing the storyboard artists have given us in this show is mainly goofy facial expressions which everyone at dhx is good at. they do contribute to the timing of the show, but there's plenty of people working at dhx who are good at their craft. they can easily get someone else, and it wouldn't be a problem because the person is talented. i've seen most of dhx's shows, most of them are fantastic in their timing. just because somebody from pony isn't working on it anymore doesn't mean that they can't get another storyboard artist to do it, and they can do just as good of a job.

my little pony is a script-driven show anyway, so most of the jokes and moments come from the script. sometimes a storyboard artist will throw something in, but for the most part it's the script writer who's doing the main job. if this were a storyboard-driven show it would be a problem. But you've still got Jayson Theissen on board with this, so i wouldn't be worried.

i'm assuming you're talking about storyboard artists because you have those sicko ties with sabrina alberghetti

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I'm not at liberty to name names or professions, there's many things best left unsaid. You guys are free to remain hopeful and I'm not going to go to any effort to convince otherwise.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

A lot of movies look much less appealing to me from marketing than they turn out to actually be. Usually a result of an effort to appeal to a more mainstream demographic than myself. This includes pretty much every Pixar movie. The concept doesn't really excite me, but maybe Equestria Girls is somewhat a victim of that.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Of Equestria Girls, all I will say is that I would have a hard time believing Lauren Faust would have signed off on it had she had any involvement with it at all.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/58750f251d14957cd71042c76d0d601e/tumblr_mmpvp2BFJE1s4zgp7o1_400.gif

So, has anyone else seen it?

I, all the fans in my theater, and most of other bronies on the internet who have actually seen it seem to have enjoyed it.

It's pretty funny how Vinyl appeared like 10 times, and people cheered almost every time.  Apparently, that happened in a lot of other theaters.

I saw Equestria Girls today. It wasn't the greatest thing ever, but I didn't feel like I was ripped off buying a ticket to see it. The worst thing was the projector, it appeared to be on it's last legs.

meme
http://i.imgur.com/gMfjgiC.jpg

Nearest screenings are July 13/14 at a theatre 2.5 hours away from me. I suppose I'll just wait to see it on video or something.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

gonna see it sometime this week. i've seen some ripped footage and i'm really pumped.

I'm excited to see what all the doubters think of it once it comes out. Not out of spite, just out of interest. Because when it was announced, everybody hated it and then the trailer came out and less people hate it and then more stuff happens and for the most part people seem to like it. I still really wanna see it but of course they didn't choose my city and now I'm overseas so yeah there's pretty much norway I'll get to see it in theaters (no I'm not in Norway)
Even so, I'm really excited and I think I'll buy the dvd when it comes out and just have a party and we'll cosplay and eat chimicherrychangas and make annoying horse noises mini/smile mini/bigsmile mini/delirium

the only problem about seeing egg girls in theaters is that every showing has a brony meetup going on. every single showing. just that alone is making me think about not seeing it in theaters.

Just Kidden wrote:

the only problem about seeing egg girls in theaters is that every showing has a brony meetup going on. every single showing. just that alone is making me think about not seeing it in theaters.

My showing didn't.
We only got two other bronies besides myself and my friend along with one pegasister.
I don't see what the problem of watching it with bronies would be.  Watching it with people makes it a lot more fun.  Even with only a few bronies and several families.

because of what i hear about them cheering every time a fandom reference pops up (dj pon3, derpy, etc.)

Just Kidden wrote:

because of what i hear about them cheering every time a fandom reference pops up (dj pon3, derpy, etc.)

The cheering is fun.
Come on man, do it.  You are going to love it so much.

i know i'm gonna love the movie, i just don't want to be irritated by the people around me when i'm watching it

The movie is playing at a theater nearby, though I will be away at Brickflix the date of the only showing. mini/sad
Ah well, Brickflix is probably a better time. Maybe the Carolina will be showing it?:)

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]