Re: Mega Bloks Halo Toymation Video Contest [CLOSED]

This is a great contest. Looks like i'll be running down to target to get megabloks!

Jargon wrote:

Not to get too pedantic, but do have an example of something that might be "obviously LEGO?"

EDIT: The rules seem to state that copyrighted elements are not allowed. Is there room for flexibility here, i.e. using sound effects and voicing from the games?

Wondering about this as well. I have about 20 seconds of animation done. I've made sure that the 'LEGO' on the pieces I use aren't visible.

I'm wondering what "Obviously Lego" means as well,
Unfortunately, it probably means no Lego guns, swords or weapons of any kind. mini/sad
So can I use Brick Forge stuff? Or is that a no-no as well?

I've been against MegaBloks in the past for their bad plastic (Among other things), but I do know that it's gotten a lot better in the last few years. So I would be glad to enter, but I don't own any Halo sets and I'm broke.
I guess I'll just have to sweet-talk my Halo-loving friend into letting me borrow his stuff. mini/tongue

EDIT: Nope, Mr. Halo-buddy only has a couple of little sets. And since I don't have the money to invest in this, I'm out.
(Unless I could somehow get the free set before I submit the movie, and then make the film. But that ain't happening. mini/no

Last edited by Pritchard Studios (August 12, 2011 (06:34pm))

Perhaps the "obvious Lego" references pieces only Lego makes. Both companies make bricks- but Lego makes pieces Mega Bloks does not. Lego has printed computer screens that are instantly recognizable as not MB made. And trees. And cannons. Perhaps the rules should be more clear on what "obvious Lego" is.

Jared

Well, I've finished animating. I'm going to hope that I did not display 'obvious LEGO'.

Currently awaiting confirmation on whether or not we're allowed to use the Halo music and sound effects.

cool but i might sit this one out

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k601/GuardadoProductionsFilms/Bannerbricksinmotion_3.png               
                           http://www.youtube.com/Luigi123X
GAMING CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/user/GUproductionsGamer
MUSIC CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/user/GuardadoMusicMix

Cool, I've got what I think is a pretty good script and I've started to build my sets. I've never done any stop-motion animation before so I'm really looking forward to it. I've done a lot of digital animation so it'll be good to see how the skills transfer.

Has anyone had confirmation as to whether we can use the music and sfx from the Halo games yet? As they'll form a pretty big part of my movie.

Hey, Hey! I thought we all made fun of MEGA BLOCKS? I think this is just an advertising trap to make you wanna buy them instead of lego, hoping to lure you in TBH.

~Storm

mod edit: Ohai there Mod, you alright?
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=DWStorm
^^^^Check out my bricklink store ^^^^

DW|Storm wrote:

Hey, Hey! I thought we all made fun of MEGA BLOCKS? I think this is just an advertising trap to make you wanna buy them instead of lego, hoping to lure you in TBH.

~Storm

Not this again. Like said before, that's basically the point of any contest. Stop being ignorant.

DW|Storm wrote:

~Storm

Yeah, we know. I thought we all made fun of Mega Blocks at first as well, but that's not the case.
Don't say anything really negative about this contest or Mega Blocks, or you'll get major dissagrement as I did.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

minifig051 wrote:
DW|Storm wrote:

~Storm

Yeah, we know. I thought we all made fun of Mega Blocks at first as well, but that's not the case.
Don't say anything really negative about this contest or Mega Blocks, or you'll get major dissagrement as I did.

exactly mini/shifty

15:24    Timothy_R    you hear that
15:24    Timothy_R    that's the sound of me not giving a turd

Youtube

Mega Blocks are just another building toy, if you don't want to enter, then quit posting here. I personally feel that all contests are that way, so it's not unusual. I'm going to enter for sure.

Hmmm, I wish I could enter but I don't have money to buy MegaBloks. They aren't in my budget sadly. mini/sad

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.

Props to Mega Bloks for actually doing something like this. I've been around here for a while, and I've never seen a LEGO representative coming over to any form of brickfilming forums like this.

I would enter for sure, but I live in a very small town in Sweden, so it's not possible because
a) I can't buy Mega Bloks in a local store here
b) Sweden can't join the contest

Anyways, like I said, props to you at Mega Bloks for doing this. You made me respect Mega Bloks a whole lot more.
That may sound silly, but I'm serious.

Good luck to those entering! :-)

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Hi again everyone! Sorry for my absence!

I've been very busy running the contest. The amount of submissions has been staggering. However, there is a lack of great quality videos, so I hope some of you guys will still enter! You have a very good chance at winning in the current climate!

I'll answer a few questions I saw, please let me know if I missed anything.

What constitutes obviously LEGO?

This is a good question, I shouldn't have been so vague. Basically: LEGO figs, LEGO logos, and something very identifiable e.g. an X-Wing. Generic landscapes, buildings, bricks, etc. are all OK. Weapons are OK too, but please be warned that they our figs have smaller hands than LEGO figs and non-Mega weapons can cause cracks and breakage in Mega fig hands.

When in doubt, give me a specific example and I'll let you know.

Can I use music and sounds from the Halo games?

Pretty much. Microsoft has content usage rules that are valid for this contest. You can use sounds and music from the Halo games. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Community/Developer/Rules

I think this is just an advertising trap to make you wanna buy them instead of lego, hoping to lure you in TBH.

Well, yes, but we're happy if you buy both, too mini/wink

Thanks to everyone for all of your support! I'll be sure to check in more often!

Brad @ Mega Bloks

Feel free to message me with any questions or comments!

Mega Bloks wrote:

I think this is just an advertising trap to make you wanna buy them instead of lego, hoping to lure you in TBH.

Don't mind about them. They are being quite rude. Yes, it is advertising Mega Bloks but are they giving you something for winning? Heck, they'll give you a MacBook Pro if you win!

Sadly, I'm not entering. mini/sad

It's not that the contest is bad, I just don't have any Mega Bloks.
But I would think you'll get plenty of entries!

-LASF

LegoAndStickfigs wrote:
Mega Bloks wrote:

Don't mind about them. They are being quite rude. Yes, it is advertising Mega Bloks but are they giving you something for winning? Heck, they'll give you a MacBook Pro if you win!

Sadly, I'm not entering. mini/sad

It's not that the contest is bad, I just don't have any Mega Bloks.
But I would think you'll get plenty of entries!

-LASF

Same here. Although I want a new computer, I have no MegaBloxs

Do you know if they sell Mega Bloks  in Norway? mini/tongue I havent seen it anywhere...

I need a new name! HELP

furybrosstudios wrote:

Do you know if they sell Mega Bloks  in Norway? mini/tongue I havent seen it anywhere...

Ahem, Let me Google that for you, sir.

-LASF

furybrosstudios wrote:

...Norway?...

You wouldn't be able participate in this competition anyways.