Re: The D-SLR Discussion

Well first off, as far as animation goes, the 60D only has one advantage over cameras in the Rebel series (or cameras with 3 digit numbers, if you're anywhere other than the US). The 60D allows you to manually set the white balance, which means you can get the temperature just right in shot, instead of adjusting it in post. This is nice, but it's not worth an extra couple hundred dollars. The 60D also allows you to change the aspect ratio when using live view shooting; which is nice for me because I don't use animation software and it allows me to shoot directly in 16:9, which means no cropping. I know the T2i and T3i can't do this, but I don't know about the T4i. As far as photography goes, it depends on how serious you are. For family photos the 60D is excessive, You'd be totally fine with a T2i or T3i. The T1i would be fine, even, except that's not made anymore. For the more artistic effort involved side of photography, if your willing to drop a full thousand dollars on a camera, and it's something you want to get into, you have two options, the 60D and the T4i. They both have a few advantages that make them good. The 60D is a bit more expensive, but not much. It's more sturdily built, has a better auto focusing system, and a higher maximum shutter speed. It also has a slightly better view finder, a (just barely) faster shutter drive, and a longer max burst count. The T4i has a newer, better processor, and the big thing that makes it worth considering is that it has better low light performance, meaning images are less grainy at higher ISO's. Also, if you're considering getting into live action video, the T4i is definitely better for that; it has special video auto-focus, and a headphone jack. That being said, the 60D isn't a bad video camera either, a lot of Freddiew's videos were shot on one. I hoped this helped, if you have any more questions just ask. mini/smile

backyardlegos wrote:

Well first off, as far as animation goes, the 60D only has one advantage over cameras in the Rebel series (or cameras with 3 digit numbers, if you're anywhere other than the US). The 60D allows you to manually set the white balance, which means you can get the temperature just right in shot, instead of adjusting it in post. This is nice, but it's not worth an extra couple hundred dollars. The 60D also allows you to change the aspect ratio when using live view shooting; which is nice for me because I don't use animation software and it allows me to shoot directly in 16:9, which means no cropping. I know the T2i and T3i can't do this, but I don't know about the T4i. As far as photography goes, it depends on how serious you are. For family photos the 60D is excessive, You'd be totally fine with a T2i or T3i. The T1i would be fine, even, except that's not made anymore. For the more artistic effort involved side of photography, if your willing to drop a full thousand dollars on a camera, and it's something you want to get into, you have two options, the 60D and the T4i. They both have a few advantages that make them good. The 60D is a bit more expensive, but not much. It's more sturdily built, has a better auto focusing system, and a higher maximum shutter speed. It also has a slightly better view finder, a (just barely) faster shutter drive, and a longer max burst count. The T4i has a newer, better processor, and the big thing that makes it worth considering is that it has better low light performance, meaning images are less grainy at higher ISO's. Also, if you're considering getting into live action video, the T4i is definitely better for that; it has special video auto-focus, and a headphone jack. That being said, the 60D isn't a bad video camera either, a lot of Freddiew's videos were shot on one. I hoped this helped, if you have any more questions just ask. mini/smile

Thanks for the reply! After reading your higlights, its going to be tough to decide which camera to buy. Over here they have a sale on it, with the 60D with special lenses at £799. Il have to consider to buy it or not. Thanks for your help!

What lenses are they? I can probably tell you if they're worth it or not. Usually the $1200 (800 pounds) price comes with one lens, so that may be a good deal. If you tell me the lenses I might be able to help you. mini/smile

The lenses are 18 135 IS lenses, they come with the camera, at a deal of £799.

Wait, so are there two of the same lens, or just one, or two different ones? I'm confused. and if there are are two different lenses, could you give me the full name, including the maximum aperture and all that? If it's the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, then it's a decent lens, the focal length is really convenient, especially for shooting events, like the family photos you'd be taking. It's not the sharpest lens I've ever used, but then again I've used some really nice ones, and you're not paying much for it; it would probably be fine for what you're doing. A word of warning, this lens must be at least 1.5 ft away from it's subject to focus, and the lens that comes kited with the T4i must be 1.3 ft away. This could be a problem for animating, depending on your set up. Do you have a tripod?

Yup, I have a tripod! The two lenses I see that come with the 60D (Depending on which body and lens you buy), one is the 18-135mm lens, and the other is the 18-55 IS lens.

Does it come with both, or do you have to pick one or the other?

You have to pick one. The 60D which comes with the 18-135mm lens is priced at £799, however, the 60D that comes with the 18-55 IS lens is priced at £929. I've seen your studios tour, and whenever you take a frame, I see you tap this wee small box, does that come with the camera?

No, that's a remote shutter, you have to buy them separately, you can get a really cheap one on amazon for around $12. Is this sale something you could send me a link to, or is it not online? The prices you're giving don't make sense.

Last edited by backyardlegos (February 19, 2013 (06:13pm))

backyardlegos wrote:

No, that's a remote shutter, you have to buy them separately, you can get a really cheap one on amazon for around $12. Is this sale something you could send be a link to, or is it not online? The prices you're giving don't make sense.

Their is an online sale for the £799, where it was origionaly £829.99, but in the catologue in store, it is £829.99, so the online deal is cheaper.

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to this. The 800 pounds for the 60D and 18-135mm is standard price, it's not a special sale; and can you give me the full name of the 18-55mm IS lens, because if it's the lens I think it is, you're getting ripped off at 929 pounds. Is it possibly made by a brand other than Canon?

backyardlegos wrote:

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to this. The 800 pounds for the 60D and 18-135mm is standard price, it's not a special sale; and can you give me the full name of the 18-55mm IS lens, because if it's the lens I think it is, you're getting ripped off at 929 pounds. Is it possibly made by a brand other than Canon?

I checked the website, doesn't say nothing special about it, but why would I be getting ripped off? Is it a cheap lens?

If it's the Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, it costs on it's own 200 USD, which is 131 pounds, so combined with the 60D you should only be paying 800 pounds, not 929. Don't pay 929 pounds.

backyardlegos wrote:

If it's the Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, it costs on it's own 200 USD, which is 131 pounds, so combined with the 60D you should only be paying 800 pounds, not 929. Don't pay 929 pounds.

Yep, thanks for the reply! I will probably end up buying the cheaper one with lenses! Thanks for your help!

Does anyone know of an external mic that would work on a Canon 600D, that is also around the $100 dollar range?  That has a decent quality.

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

Look for a RODE mate, that's what I use, seems to work fine.

Well this is sweet. I just bought a 70-210 mm Canon T2i lens from a friend for $20.

SWAG.

So, to bump a relic of a topic, I've been thinking of upgrading to a dslr. I've been doing a bunch of research, and am trying to decide between the t3i, t5i, and the nikon d5300. Granted, the Nikon is a couple hundred dollars more, but it has a couple of things that look nice, 39-point AF being the largest, as I'm trying to get into photography. Also, I'm thinking of trying out some live-action. On this point, does anyone know if canon or nikon is superior? As for stop-motion, I've been curious what would be a better choice: getting macro filters with the kit lens, getting an extension tube with the kit lens, or getting a completely separate lens, purely for close-up photos? If the latter, what kind of lens would you guys suggest and why?
And sorry for having so many questions in one post.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

I got a Nikon when I started out photography, and I stuck with the brand ever since so I wouldn't have to get new lenses.

Nikon is great for photography, but not as great as Canon for live action. Now that I'm getting into live action filming as well, I curse my decision to go with Nikon, but it's a camera, and with my limited budget, will have to do.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Okay, I haven't done one of these in awhile, so here we go. First thing is that I shoot Canon, just so you know.

Now, after quickly running through the specs again as a refresher, the T5i and the D5300 are very similar cameras. The only difference that you will see on the specs is the higher count of megapixels and auto-focus points on the Nikon, which you're paying a few hundred dollars for. Now there are a few areas that aren't really covered by spec lists. First off, video. Everyone knows Canon is better for video. The stm lenses have auto-focus which can actually be used for for video and not mess up your audio, and they won't search. The T5i (and I believe the T3i as well) let you manually adjust audio, all sorts of good stuff. As far as Photography goes, it really all comes down to image quality. The D5300 has two things going for it. For one, more megapixels. The thing about this is, I doubt you'll ever be doing anything that will require 24 megapixels as opposed to 18 with an entry level camera anyway. I do paid work with an 18 megapixel camera, and clients are always totally satisfied with the image quality. I used to put a lot of value into megapixels, as many amateurs do but I've realized at this point that it's not even close to the most important thing about a camera. What the Nikon really has going for it is the omission of the optical low pass filter. This is a filter normally used to prevent low wavelengths of light from reaching the sensor, to protect it or preserve color or some bollocks, I can't remember, but at the sacrifice of a bit of image quality. Cameras without this filter produce sharper images, and so I have no doubt that the d5300 is very sharp. For the T5i, Canon has had much better low light performance than Nikon very consistently for the last few years, so you're likely to get better images at higher iso's from the Canon than the Nikon. One last thing about auto-focus points. They're really nothing more than a convenience. When I'm using a camera with more than 9 auto-focus points, I tend to just group them together anyway, just saying. If you really want to pay for more, go for it, but I don't think they're all that important.

These are all capable cameras, especially for someone just starting out, so enough of this technical stuff, let's talk a little philosophy. Ultimately, it's not the camera taking the picture, or making the film. It's the photographer or film maker. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with the camera you're using, so it's as if it's not even there; it should be an extension of you. One of the main reasons I shoot Canon is because the layout of their cameras and the UI make more sense to me than Nikon. All three of the cameras you've mentioned are capable of taking great pictures, but only if you can operate them properly. My number one piece of advice is try them out before you buy one, and decide which feels more natural when navigating the menus and buttons.

The world of DSLR's is a big one, and it's late, so I'll leave lenses for later. Scroll back in the thread a bit, I've talked a lot about filters and manual lenses and such, but feel free to ask for clarification on anything or ask any other questions; I'm really tired so I'm not sure how well I worded things. mini/smile