Re: Reviving Brickfilms.com

I contacted Cynthia Price and she responded.  I told her my offer and she has not responded yet.

I would rather not post my picture for the world to see, but if the owners of this site contact me, I will send said picture as proof.

Do you mind telling us what she said? Does it look as if you'll be getting anywhere?

Jason I'd PM Smeagol with the picture as it's him you'd wish to talk to.

dewfilms wrote:

If the current owners of the former site had any intention to sell, don't you think they would've come knocking at our door first?

(Unless a total fanboy or someone else that owns more than one stopmotion website just wants one more for his portfolio offered them a ridiculous amount of money.)

I really don't think they have any intention of selling the website anytime soon, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

It's possible that they just don't think it would sell, it has got to be worth less now then what it was when they brought it. I doubt the site even makes much more than a few hundred dollars per year. So financially they would be better off selling it at a few thousand. That way they get rid of a pretty much worthless asset and still have a fair bit of money in return. And with the site having no sentimental value for the current owners It's not like they have any reason to keep it.

TDogg186 wrote:
dewfilms wrote:

If the current owners of the former site had any intention to sell, don't you think they would've come knocking at our door first?

(Unless a total fanboy or someone else that owns more than one stopmotion website just wants one more for his portfolio offered them a ridiculous amount of money.)

I really don't think they have any intention of selling the website anytime soon, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

It's possible that they just don't think it would sell, it has got to be worth less now then what it was when they brought it. I doubt the site even makes much more than a few hundred dollars per year. So financially they would be better off selling it at a few thousand. That way they get rid of a pretty much worthless asset and still have a fair bit of money in return. And with the site having no sentimental value for the current owners It's not like they have any reason to keep it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's making a loss each year now.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.
You guys are forgetting that they own the trademark. This is where the true value lies.
They can easily recoup whatever losses from lawsuits.

They also supposedly own a 'string of educational websites.'
So if one of them isn't profiting, it's an automatic tax write off for them.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Still have not heard back from Cynthia Price.  I guess we will have to see if she renews the domain.

Trademarking Brickfilms is an interesting idea, but worthless.  No one could ever defend that in court, because I made up the term and am its author.   It's easy enough to prove.  Also, brickfilm is common use now and no one has defended the trademark well, ever?  Has anyone ever told you guys to only use it in a trademark way, like say LEGO(tm) does? 

Still want to do this, but only if there is little effort involved.

The only thing i want to be changed is the domain and logo. When people look for a lego animator site they search for brickfilms or lego movies, and brickfilms.com pops up.

YouTube channel
N00bToob ebovv

JasonRowoldt wrote:

Still have not heard back from Cynthia Price.  I guess we will have to see if she renews the domain.

Trademarking Brickfilms is an interesting idea, but worthless.  No one could ever defend that in court, because I made up the term and am its author.   It's easy enough to prove.  Also, brickfilm is common use now and no one has defended the trademark well, ever?  Has anyone ever told you guys to only use it in a trademark way, like say LEGO(tm) does? 

Still want to do this, but only if there is little effort involved.

If I understand trademark laws correctly, you would have to have used brickfilm in some sort of commercial application before it is established that you have any legal right to the trademark. I don't know if buying the domain name is enough evidence in court. As it stands, Cynthia does own the trademark legally, and she can bring lawsuits against those who use it in ways she doesn't approve of (and she has threatened to do so previously). Whether she has a solid case or not is debatable, but she is undeniably in the best possible position if she decided to take legal action over the term.

I don't think you can trade mark a genre. mini/smile
As far as I know, it's never been done.

And besides, the grandfather clause would just make your efforts useless.

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

I don't think you can trade mark a genre. mini/smile
As far as I know, it's never been done.

That's now what they're referring to. They're talking about the trademark 'brickfilm', just like 'coca-cola' is a trademark. I wouldn't be allowed to create a product using the Coca-Cola trademark just as I wouldn't be able to use the trademark 'Brickfilm' in a profitable exercise.

The word 'claymation' is trademarked. For realz. Wikipedia it.

WHAT!? mini/eek that's ridiculous!
trademarks and copyright stuff have gone too far. mini/tongue

Barbie copyrighted a shade of pink.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

ooooooooooo...that's bad! Now we have to go to all of the little girls and take their barbies away because they deserve to go to jail! mini/lol

http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/callout_hdvideo_091511.jpg    http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/cdlc_148_rt.jpg

Hey!
If whatzhername doesn't sell us Brickfilms.com, I just found out that the domain brickfilm.com (without the s) is not taken. So we could maybe take that. mini/confused

First off I would say that I believe Jason is real though I don't have any conclusive proof.  The IP checks out.

I don't really want to change this website's name again, I would be cool with brickfilms.com becoming a redirect, but whenever people have approached Cynthia Price with offers to merge the sites or join forces in some manner in the past it hasn't gone over well.  (In her defense she did propose a counter offer at one point that included merging the two sites with old-school frames, so it'd have the BiM directory and BF forums/resources, and we turned it down because we obviously didn't stand to gain anything from ruining the site like that)

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I personally like the name Bricks in Motion more than brickfilms. Brickfilms sounds a little more childish and babyish while Bricks in Motion sounds more professional.

http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/callout_hdvideo_091511.jpg    http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/cdlc_148_rt.jpg

VanderFlame Studios wrote:

I personally like the name Bricks in Motion more than brickfilms. Brickfilms sounds a little more childish and babyish while Bricks in Motion sounds more professional.

ololol. That made my day.