Re: Reviving Brickfilms.com

RevMen wrote:
Golden wrote:

How can you tell?

The real Jason has good grammar and wouldn't be so eager to prove his identity.

And probably wouldn't have called you RevMan.

I don't think it's the real Jason, but who knows?

New sig coming soon...

Along with brickfilms...

Ok, I'm going to wait until the site owners chime in.  There is no point in me approaching Cynthia Price unless there is someone to actually use the URL/graphics/trademark.  I followed the links on Brickfilms.com to get here (it was called Brickfikms Memorial which bummed me out), sensing this was essentially the new Brickfilms.   

Admins/site owners, please email if you are interested in this idea at all. 

Josh, PM or email me!   I'd like to discuss the terms of your sale to Cynthia and the nature and holdings of Brickfilms LLC, if I may.  I'll prove beyond a shadow of a doubt it's really me. mini/wink

If you want to contact Smeagol, the admin, the best way is you emailing him first. He is taking break from the site, I think. So if you really want this, you'd probably have to start it. Just a little fyi.

Or, better yet, wait until his re-arrival.

I started brickfilming towards the end of brickfilms.com. I remember this by going on there and checking out the competition section, they were running one. I never got involved in the site, but after a while I started going back to it a bit. I never saw any competitions on it again. So for a good few years I brickfilmed, and I never realised there was a community for it until last year. I never signed up with BF because I thought it was dead (and it was), I only found out about this site by Fancypants' 'The Force Unleashed'.
So for a newbie to this getting into a community like this may be quite hard (or not so hard, just they don't know about it). That was my problem, I never realised this community existed.

But is there any huge difference between BF and here? They both have film dictionaries, resources, staff, etc. Just one's active and one's dead. So do we really need to merge them? The only reason I would want to revive BF is so newbies to animation find help a little easier. My dad came across Brickfilms, and that's partly how I got into animation.

But I think that someone who was there at the time can answer this, what really is the difference with the two sites? Do we really need two? Is it worth the hassle, or should we all just concentrate on making this site as good as possible? Two sites for basically the same thing could be a bit much IMO. And for the people who have to work on reviving it it may be quite a bit of work for them. I don't clearly see any point of it myself, but then I never joined BF, so....yeah.

Filmfire96 wrote:

So for a newbie to this getting into a community like this may be quite hard (or not so hard, just they don't know about it). That was my problem, I never realised this community existed.

But is there any huge difference between BF and here? They both have film dictionaries, resources, staff, etc. Just one's active and one's dead. So do we really need to merge them? The only reason I would want to revive BF is so newbies to animation find help a little easier. My dad came across Brickfilms, and that's partly how I got into animation.

You've just explained succinctly my plan.   The sites don't need to merge.  There is nothing to merge.  Brickfilms.com is dead and worthless.  The only page hits they get are from people searching for "Lego movies" and other terms.  I would be curious to see how many direct requests it gets.  Check all this stuff out on Alexa.   Anyway, I have to assume that Brickfilms LLC is just an annoyance fir the owner.  You have you fill out tax forms and such every year even if you have little to no income.  Making it an LLC is a great idea because it can easily be legally transferred.

Once that's done, I suggest we just forward all URL requests to BIM.  That way when anyone searches for "Making LEGO movies" they get BIM.   Make sense?  It helps the brick film-making community, it helps biM, and it helps create a site I created from dying a painful, long death.

Last edited by JasonRowoldt (May 18, 2011 (11:58am))

I see. That seems like a good idea. That way people actually get a site that isn't completely dead.
In that case, I'm all for this. It seems like a great way of helping a dying site (which you and others have put time, effort and money into) become useful again, without having two separate sites. It would be a shame to let brickfilms.com go to waste, I'm sure it was great to be around there in it's hay day. It will definitely help people who want to get into brickfilming, or even just animation as a whole. If you could somehow get ownership on it then this would put it to good use. mini/smile

That would be awesome. I'm all for it.

I'm going to just believe it's the real Jason and hope this goes through.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Nvm. mini/no

Last edited by Mighty Wanderer (May 20, 2011 (08:33am))

I´m interested in this but I´m also in Peru right now with next to no internet access.  I´ll return mid-June.  Might be nice to see some proof that this is really Jason, like a recent photograph with a hand-written sign that reads "I am Jason Rowoldt," because I know what Jason looked like.  Impersonation of historically significant figures is a recurring problem on this site.  If you really are Jason then this potentially sounds cool, though I´m not necessarily interested in messing with all that LLC business...

Will be back in action in June.

Smeagol

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

I´m interested in this but I´m also in Peru right now with next to no internet access.  I´ll return mid-June.  Might be nice to see some proof that this is really Jason, like a recent photograph with a hand-written sign that reads "I am Jason Rowoldt," because I know what Jason looked like.  Impersonation of historically significant figures is a recurring problem on this site.  If you really are Jason then this potentially sounds cool, though I´m not necessarily interested in messing with all that LLC business...

Will be back in action in June.

Smeagol

Exactly, we need a picture.

bricksinmotion member of the year

I think it would be better if he skype chatted Smeagol, as he could just get a picture off the internet or something.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

I think now the discussion of Jason's identity has gone on long enough now, Smeagol has asked for an acceptable means of finding out his authenticity and we hope that Jason will comply. I think it would be best if we dropped the discussion of his identity just now as it wont get anywhere. The topic will remain open however as reviving brickfilms.com is of interest to a lot of people.

Am I the only one who thinks its Aled impersonating jason? mini/bigsmile lolz

Hey guys,
  Hazzat told me to tell you guys that he and his father were (are) actually thinking about purchasing brickfilms.com. "I just need to remember to contact Chuck price" - Hazzat.

Nice.

Rsteenoven wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks its Aled impersonating jason? mini/bigsmile lolz

Why would I do that?

Mason wrote:

Hey guys,
  Hazzat told me to tell you guys that he and his father were (are) actually thinking about purchasing brickfilms.com. "I just need to remember to contact Chuck price" - Hazzat.

This be the truth. Not sure what would happen then, though. I'd turn and ask you guys.

Back when the first Revive Brickfilms.com project came about, I recall Sméagol putting forward an idea about Brickfilms.com becoming a brickfilming blog. If we manage to relinquish BF.com from the hand of the Prices, then I think this would be the best thing to do.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

If the current owners of the former site had any intention to sell, don't you think they would've come knocking at our door first?

(Unless a total fanboy or someone else that owns more than one stopmotion website just wants one more for his portfolio offered them a ridiculous amount of money.)

I really don't think they have any intention of selling the website anytime soon, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG