Topic: Reviving Brickfilms.com

Hi there!  Great to see everyone,

This is a great site!  Thanks for taking up the mantle, BricksInMotion.  I love the site's design.  That feature where you can have people write their own articles is great.

It's a shame what happened to Brickfilms.com.  I have moved on to other things but it's a shame to see something you poured a lot of energy into basically die.

Towards that end, I'd like to ask a question.  Is there any interest in here to revive the site?  That is, incorporate/merge BricksinMotion with Brickfilms.com.  It would be a bit of work but basically you'd get the Brickfilms URL and the "keys to the site", the trademark of Brickfilms(tm), and anything else.  there would be no cost to you.  I'd pay all the expenses whoever owns Brickfilms.com to transfer ownership to me, then Imgive it to you for free.

This message is to Smeagol Studuios because he runs this site, but anyone who would like to discuss it can reach me here or via mail:  jrowoldt dot roco at gmail dot com.

Any interest?  Or should we just let it die....

Last edited by JasonRowoldt (May 16, 2011 (08:01pm))

Re: Reviving Brickfilms.com

Hmm...

Personally I don't mind what our site's called, as long as it's the same community, and we don't have to reset everything...

Assuming you are Jason (apologies, I can't help being paranoid on the internet), have you spoken to Cynthia Price about purchasing the site and trademark? When Smeagol last approached her, she was very stubborn about keeping the site (although to be fair we weren't offering much incentive money-wise). If you could do what you've proposed, I don't think anyone would be against the idea, for sure.

I personally think getting the site would be great, although at this point I expect it would probably wind up being a redirect or an expansion project. Seeing something like a Brickfilming newsletter hosted on the old site would be interesting.

I think death is the only way. Anyone who was really serious about brickfilming transferred sites. Also, the owner of BF, TaaB, well, some members don't quite get along with her. You see she kinda ruined BF and I think that joining her with us would be like joining the terrorists with the USA. Not a good mixture.

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.

I wasn't there when Brickfilms.com went down hill, but I've done my fair share of research on it. From what I can tell, I think it's pretty much gone for good. It sounds like an interesting idea, but I think it might be too much trouble.

Ok, first I am Jason so you'll have to trust me.  Ha!  Ask me a question only Jason would know.  It's like in those movies where you ask a doppelgänger personal questions only the real person would know.

Anyway, I don't know what all the drama was and I don't care.  I don't know Cynthia Price but I'm not involved in whatever happened after I turned the keys over to Josh.  I've already send them an email.  It was some weird email, not a Brickfilms.com one, something at ymail.com.   Hope that's them.  Anyone have a better way to reach them? 

As a note, I'm not the admin here so I don't make the rules.  But please don't go into detail whatever fights whoever had with whoever else.  This is a business proposal and let's leave emotion out of it.  I hope she doesn't charge me more because someone pissed her off.  I just don't want the site to die.  I hope she will just give it to me.

Hey Jason, you have to excuse our paranoia. It is the internet after all mini/tongue Welcome to bricksinmotion.com It's great to see you. I guess we should thankyou as you are the reason we are here for what you did over 10 years ago (time flies).

Anyway just so you know Smeagol will be away until the 9th of June so we really can't speak on his behalf and secondly it's Schlaeps who owns the site so it's really those two that you'd need to talk with.

On another note I'd always love to type in brickfilms.com again and see that familiar blue brick design I was never too keen on this URL (I voted for cinebrick.com). I don't know if Price would want to sell or if the community as a whole would be interested.

To the naysayers: When people look for Brickfilms, they search for Brickfilms or LEGO Movies, not BricksInMotion.

Jason, just be aware that whoever owns the site now might also own the Brickfilm trademark and I think that's what they're holding onto right now.

The site is not dead, just not being moderated because the "Senate" self-disbanded.

I'm for being able to go to brickfilms.com and seeing an active forum, a well managed film directory and a resource page filled with informative articles.  If that means the URL taking me here, I'm all for it mini/bigsmile.  My vote is Aye.  Good luck and I guess post a pic for us to compare with your old pic (whoever still has that from brickfilms.com).

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

Hi Jason

I'm in contact with Cynthia Price about what to do with the site but she dosen't seem to want to give it up. In other news, I've got an incomplete prototype for a new site which BF.com should be setting up sometime soon, since many few community members appreciate the current design:

http://new.brickfilms.com/?bypass=iamsecret153

I sent you a PM with the correct email for Mrs Price, I really hope you can aid in doing something to revive the site, it'd be really great if it can be merged with this or something.

EDIT: Oh and here's a copy of the old site, though the links don't work in most cases, you'll have to change the URL's to work around that:

http://new.brickfilms.com/pbo/

I. Am. All for this.

Making a sig now.

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

Not the real Jason.

Really?

How can you tell?

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png

Well if this is real then personally I would say that if we get the thingy then we should just keep the design that BiM has right now and just change the domain, and logo, or whatevz. I really think this is a genius site design that we have right now. mini/bigsmile

When you search brickfilms or lego movies on google, brickfilms.com pops up quite early. To any new person not knowing of the site being dead, they might register for nothing and probably not learn about BiM at all.

-Tejas VIM

I personally think we should just let BF.com die.  Why go back to it when it was abandoned years ago.  Though it wouldn't break my heart if you revived/merged the two sites into one.  As you mentioned, it may bring in new people just because of the name.  But if it's a name change that would help, why not just change this site's name?

But do we really want tons of 10 year olds popping up at BIM? NO

buikes wrote:

But do we really want tons of 10 year olds popping up at BIM? NO

Yes, if the owner wants page hits.

What's up RevMan?  Ha ha.  Doubt it's me?  I'm not sure how to prove it's me, other than the details working out the page transfer.

I'd like to think that this site operates under Lion Pride rules.

Smeagol and Jason must fight to the death.  The victor gets territory and mating rights.

Game on mini/sunnies

I don't know. I'm confused on whether we're merging the site or just moving or what. I don't want to have an account on two sites and have to switch from site to site. In other words, I don't want half the community on one site and half on the other. It gets rather confusing. I feel that this site is more up to date and more efficient than brickfilms.com. Therefore, merging the site would be okay, just so long as Price/TaaB doesn't do anything to hurt this site. I have nothing against this idea except the possibility that the community might be ruined or split. I also have nothing against Price either. I'm just a little wary of what happened when she took ownership of brickfilms.com and the mass migration. I just don't want this community to be split apart or demolished. Again, nothing implied about anyone or against anyone.

Also, might I suggest you asking her about her apparent ownership of the word brickfilm?

Last edited by Eddie (May 16, 2011 (04:57pm))

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.