Re: Reviving Brickfilms.com

I prefer this site's looks. I find it much easier to navigate.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

I prefer this site's look. The old BF.com looks outdated and 2001ish. This looks more sophisticated and modern.

I like brickfilm's design better. When I first found about BiM I was completely confuzzled. I didn't know there was a Forums section of the website, all I saw was the home page. Eventually I realized that there were tabs on the top of the screen, but I still find brickfilm's navigation around the website easier.

bricksinmotion member of the year

Living LEGO wrote:

I prefer this site's look. The old BF.com looks outdated and 2001ish. This looks more sophisticated and modern.

Sophisticated? Haha.

This is Brickfilms.com in 2001
http://web.archive.org/web/200109220750 … ities.com/

Just ten years ago I was writing reviews and helping Jason with the site. Ten years. Where have they gone? What have I done? Gulp.

The old site looks dated but through my eyes it's a whimsical and nostalgic look at something that brought me together with a bunch of intelligent animators and finally an audience for help. Is the site forever captured there? Will it be lost and buried under other material or is someone saving it?

That picture of the film clapboard most likely shone like a beacon to the masses ten years ago while the film reel shines now.

I don't have a preference for looks because when the community moves-the community becomes the destination. I sure like the warm fuzzies from the memories...but I've moved on.

Home is here now...
Jared

That was so *sniff* beautiful...

Back In Black!

I don't know if you are the real Jason but if you are, bring back the site, please.

BiM in 2008: http://web.archive.org/web/200810161235 … otion.com/

lolfail
I think the site is fine the way it is. What we need to improve is accessibility for newbies to come here and improve instead of going to the wasteland that is BF

I recently came across this thread and I love the stuff I'm reading.

Sméagol wrote:

It was "ilovebrickfilming.com," but then Schlaeps changed to "brickfilmers.com" which was what caused Cynthia to send Schlaeps a cease and desist.  The thing with the term "brickfilm" was that it was always associated with brickfilms.com and didn't exist before the site, so it seemed like a reasonably legitimate trademark though theoretically Jason could get it reversed or something since he came up with it but wasn't the one to trademark it.  I think the main deal is that nobody was motivated enough to go to court over it.

Personally, I think the old Brickfilms site should keep running even when no one uses it. It just serves as a historical artefact.
However, the term "brickfilms" should be allowed for everyone to use. Now that I wrote that, I wonder why the name Brickfilmer'sGuild hasn't been marked as copyright... And the wiki ran by Nathan...

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

As I understand it, when you register a trademark you do so for a specific usage so that people do not get confused. For example the tech company Apple can't sue anyone for creating a website dedicated to the fruit called Apples.org.

This particular case the Brickfilms trademark covers hosting a LEGO film forum website and that was why the seize and desist order (while perhaps over the top) applied. The Brickfilms Wiki is a wiki about LEGO films not a forum, while the BFG was a social network thing, but now appears to be a blog and as a result the trademark does not affect them.

Unfortunately I don't think we have a choice over Brickfilms.com's existence for the next few years at least. The only thing we can do for now is 'vote with our feet' and avoid that site so that it becomes economically pointless for it's current owners.
____

EDIT: Actually I looked it up , the Brickfilms trademark specifically covers 'Providing a website which features information about stop motion animation'. Although I think this means the wiki is 'safe' because it doesn't directly talk about stop motion animation.

Also it would be a waste of money to go after sites unless they were your direct competitors (which was the case with brickfilmers.com).

Last edited by BoatsAreRockable (February 21, 2015 (04:26am))

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

I know that I'd love to see the two sites merged someday... Perhaps brickfilms.com could be just another part of these forums here; like a "historical artifact" section.

However, to even acquire the site, you'd have to purchase it from the current owners, or wait until it's domain comes up for sale... (Most likely not very soon)

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

No, I did a quick WhoIs lookup and it runs until 2018. No matter, it was a great community while it lasted but most of the people that made it a great site ended up here anyway.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

An Old Ore! Hello!

They rebuilt the site recently but it's mostly broken and they don't have any regular users. I try not to think about it.

This is a very old thread that just happens to have been bumped a couple times; I had forgotten about it but I think I'll lock it for now because it was created by someone who never actually proved they weren't an imposter.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png