Re: The Animation Challenge

This is my entry. mini/blankexpression
http://youtu.be/XZI3VLrXdec

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Nathan Wells wrote:

The host must choose a winner by Tuesday. If they do not, a moderator will choose the winner instead.

What happens now Nathan? You're the mod, and you didn't pick a winner.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Boaz, it's not even noon on Tuesday. Patience. Don't clog up the thread.

Only two entries? This is very displeasing and disappointing. If entries continue at this rate I don't see the Animation Challenge continuing for much longer.

Rocky, you're up. Maybe we'll manage to get more than two entries this time.

Congrats, Rocky!

It is interesting that the Animation Challenge has waned so much. I do wonder if weekly is too frequent or something? Would it be better to make it a monthly event so there's a little more time and it's more of an event? Just spitballing, it seems like the current system doesn't work very well right now.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I think maybe every two weeks would be cool.

IMO, it has outlived its usefulness for the time being. If the same people who want it to stay are willing to enter it every time, then great. But that doesn't appear to be happening. Even if you combined the number of entries in every two-week block of rounds, you wouldn't have very good participation.

Maybe it would be better if it was an occasional event, even something that is once a year for two weeks, with a new challenge every 48 hours. Not necessarily that exact combination, but something shorter-term and more intense might get people more excited about it.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

Congrats, Rocky!

Thanks mini/smile

Staying on the brick-built subject, the new theme is... Brick-built Waves It doesn't have to be like a huge wave, it could even be like splash or something. The deadline is a week from now, like always. Can't wait to judge your entries. mini/smile

Can my wave be on solid ground?

Yeah.

Nathan Wells wrote:

This is very displeasing and disappointing.

That seems a bit harsh. Setting up an expectancy of entrance is hardly the way to attract people to the thread, or being creative in general. If I'm right, many people here are in school. School is ending soon and times are busy. I don't think that jumping a ship with low residence is an appropriate response. Perhaps stagnation, in this case, is a little better than a squeaky clean pipeline that pushes out rounds of competition and leaves people behind.

(I hated the way the previous thread would drone on and on, but this is too formal for me to ever feel comfortable entering)

I also felt that maybe the animation challenge had runs its course. I don't anymore. The human imagination is huge. Every waking moment of existence is full of motion. I think there are enough things in our world that we can attempt to replicate for us to keep this thread alive. It is up to the people who enter though, to keep it alive.

(All my opinion, by the way)

Last edited by Legocloniac477 (May 12, 2015 (08:49pm))

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Currently it's right in the middle of A level exam season for me. I imagine I'm the not the only one here with some sort of public examinations. Perhaps now is not the best time to ultimately judge the Animation Challenge's popularity as a concept?

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

Sméagol wrote:

Congrats, Rocky!

It is interesting that the Animation Challenge has waned so much. I do wonder if weekly is too frequent or something? Would it be better to make it a monthly event so there's a little more time and it's more of an event? Just spitballing, it seems like the current system doesn't work very well right now.

I think monthly would work better.  I also wish the "animation challenge" was in the "Contest & Festivals" forum instead of General Film Discussion (and made sticky).  I understand that, it's "just a challenge", but I love the whole "king of the hill" thing that the challenge has.  I also like adding winners to a list like the old challenge thread had.  It's a badge of honor.

I would enter. Honestly I would. However, many other important priorities consume my time, leaving extremely little free time.
May as well say this; I can never see the Animation Challenge running like it was 3-4 years ago. Why? Less active brickfilmers.
I just scoped over the old Animation Challenge topic, to see the difference of people entering various animation challenges back in 2009/10, and there were far more entries to what the current animation challenge would hope to ever have. Im not blaming it on 'laziness' or 'no motivation', its really the fact that there are less active members on this website in general, with the same members on here posting two or three times a day. It is quite saddening to say the least.

Slurping Animations wrote:

I would enter. Honestly I would. However, many other important priorities consume my time, leaving extremely little free time.
May as well say this; I can never see the Animation Challenge running like it was 3-4 years ago. Why? Less active brickfilmers.
I just scoped over the old Animation Challenge topic, to see the difference of people entering various animation challenges back in 2009/10, and there were far more entries to what the current animation challenge would hope to ever have. Im not blaming it on 'laziness' or 'no motivation', its really the fact that there are less active members on this website in general, with the same members on here posting two or three times a day. It is quite saddening to say the least.

Another thing, is a lot of brickfilmers are now "too cool" for these little animation challenges, whereas 3-4 years ago, everyone, (even bigger brickfilmers) was always entering.

As for what to do about it, I say nothing.  It works as it is, and I find there to be no way to increase popularity with it.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Well, I was on vacation and I totally forgot about this, and it seems like everyone else did too. I don't know if Nathan is gonna do something but it sucks that no one joined.

Maybe we should continue without the mods

I've got ideas! I've so many ideas, you wouldn't believe!

Is there a list of the challenges from this current thread?

-PushOverProductions

No, but go for it legocloniac. I don't see the harm in having you pick a new theme! If you want to start as the new judge just do it. mini/delirium

Last edited by soupmanjack (May 26, 2015 (12:40pm))

Is that okay with everyone? I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I also don't want to waste any time.

-PushOverProductions

I think it's fine. But you should ask for theme suggestions.