Re: The Animation Challenge

Or give suggestions. And see what people think.

I guess I'll go ahead.

The new challenge is... Punching a punching bag. It doesn't have to be a punching bag, but it cannot be another human being (that is overdone). The idea is to practice the motion of punching and the reaction of something dynamic. Good luck!

The deadline is next Monday, June 1 (2015).

Last edited by Legocloniac477 (May 26, 2015 (06:13pm))

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

The whole point of a mod running it would be to keep things moving at a nice pace.
So if one of us mods isn't paying attention, feel free to take care of things among yourselves.
Like you've already done, in fact. mini/wink

I like this idea, it takes an old concept, but puts a new and little-used spin on it. I'm looking forward to the entries, and may even try to enter something myself.

Legocloniac477 wrote:

Is that okay with everyone? I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I also don't want to waste any time.

bit hard to step on our toes if we are on the other side of a computer screen. mini/tongue mini/tongue

I might give this a go.

I plan to animate my entry tonight... I think I have an idea.

Here's mine.

It's short and sweet. With the stereotypical Kevin MacLeod music. mini/tongue

http://youtu.be/MP760b5C64c

Its an entry... ish
because, goats.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Here's my entry-https://youtu.be/Zs83m22cftc

Last edited by soupmanjack (May 31, 2015 (02:03pm))

Those are great guys! The winner is Pritchard Studios.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Thanks Legocloniac477!

What do ya'll think of "Decaying" or "Growing" as a half-way decent theme?
Other than that, I ain't got many ideas. So feel free to suggest. We've got, what, a day left to finalize it?

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Thanks Legocloniac477!

What do ya'll think of "Decaying" or "Growing" as a half-way decent theme?
Other than that, I ain't got many ideas. So feel free to suggest. We've got, what, a day left to finalize it?

I love the idea of decaying in particular, but either are quite broad terms and I think it'd be cool to see how people interpret them. Plus, I don't think there've been challenges like those before. So either of those challenges would be good in my opinion.

Now that my assessments are all done I should have time to enter again mini/bigsmile realised I haven't entered the animation challenge in like a year, since 'kicking a ball' last May.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I think growing would be a fun topic, but decaying sound pretty good too.

Last edited by soupmanjack (June 2, 2015 (01:51pm))

If it's decaying, it may be best to describe the cause (fire, weather, etc...) and growing seams very broad, perhaps something more like "plant growing" or "tower being built" would be better.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

First, if you don't mind, I'd like to comment on the other entries.

Randomboaz, Do you have goats?
Because I did and I sure felt like punching them on more than one occasion. mini/tongue
I love the eyeball tree in the background, and the set has a cool, almost psychedelic, feel. The animation is smooth, but doesn't convey much power, and the angle of the goat makes it hard for the figure to look like he's punching hard. Try using less frames for the same movement to show more power and speed. I like the figure's movement on the second punch, but the goat's movement on the first.

N0odleBrick,
Yours is a really neat, and very well polished entry.
The animation is smooth, the camera movement perfectly executed, and the punchline (Hehe...) is accentuated in a great way by the subtle head movement right before the hit. Some of the movements appeared to lose momentum a tad too quickly, so you may want to add just a frame or two next time.

Ok, I'm kinda partial my first choice for the next challenge, so...

The new challenge is Decaying.
A broad category, allowing a wide selection of possible interpretations. But I'd rather a physical decay, (Say, of a castle or iceberg, or clothing) rather than something more abstract. (Like your mind or reputation) Decay can be due to just about anything. Animals, wind, water, time, an eternally enduring Sharknado*, anything really. But remember, it's more about the decay itself, rather than whatever causes it.

The deadline is Monday, June 8th.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. And good luck.

*No, I haven't seen the films, but the joke was too good to pass up. mini/tongue

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Randomboaz, Do you have goats?
Because I did and I sure felt like punching them on more than one occasion. mini/tongue
I love the eyeball tree in the background, and the set has a cool, almost psychedelic, feel. The animation is smooth, but doesn't convey much power, and the angle of the goat makes it hard for the figure to look like he's punching hard. Try using less frames for the same movement to show more power and speed. I like the figure's movement on the second punch, but the goat's movement on the first.

Actually... I did have goats at one point, and yes, I greatly understand the longing to punch them: mini/tongue  (Goat simulator also inspired this).  (Those goats we had tasted real good:P )

Anyways, I like this theme idea, I'll be sure to animate something interesting.

Last edited by Randomboaz (June 2, 2015 (09:56pm))

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

can we have an CGI effect OVER the decay, as in, it is the force for it, but isnt the decay? am I making sense?

I'd rather not, but as long as the decay is clear, easily seen, and actually animated, then I reckon it's ok.
Just remember that the point is the animation of decay, so don't spend too much time on the force and force yourself to rush on the important part. mini/wink

I see what you did there.... mini/tongue thanks.

Decomposing is a form of decay, Right?

Yep.
A less dramatic and slightly more smelly form of it, but yes, it is decay.