Re: Brickfilming Discussion Week 5: For Mature Audiences Only

I wonder, did YouTube change our expectations of what a brickfilm ought to be? Back in the heyday of Brickfilms.com, there weren't any streaming websites to host your animations on, people had to download your video off of some server space that you bought. This contained the audience to members of the community, like, "hey guys check out this thing I made," and a hundred people might end up downloading and watching it. I think that imposed fewer internalized restrictions than a website like YouTube inherently does. When you upload to YouTube, anyone in the world can watch what you made, and while this is true of methods of old, streaming video is much less personal, at least in my opinion. There is no difference between a video on YouTube and a video accessible only by downloading the RealMedia file, but the audience in the latter format is so much more contained that more people felt like they could do whatever they wanted with their film.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that there has been a paradigm shift in our expectations and self imposed restrictions due to the way we access brickfilms. Only in the past few years have THACs begun to allow YouTube uploads (albeit unlisted) as submissions. I'm sure most members remember compressing their THAC entries to some ungodly format, uploading it to Mediafire and praying it would work for the judges. Those days are over now; I can't remember the last time I saw someone on the forum post a download link for their animation, and this shift in content accessibility has some effect on the creator. I'll try to illustrate this possible effect below.

A young teenager starting to animate in 2014 watches brickfilms on YouTube, sometimes Vimeo, but never as a download (unless they peruse the old forums for hyperlinks but that's an aside). The nature of YouTube is that the uploader makes a video, and YouTube gets to watch it. You have a worldwide audience at the tips of your fingers. An audience. When this new brickfilmer starts animating, they're likely making subconscious alterations to their stories so as to appease this potential audience. They filter their ideas a bit more to cater to the public, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but certainly reflects on a change.

Compare this to an older teenager, maybe 19, way back in 2005. There is no YouTube to watch videos on, no Vimeo, but Brickfilms.com exists. This newly appointed adult decides to make a LEGO video with that collection sitting in the back of their closet after finding the website and being inspired by the work that others are making. A key difference between the brickfilmer in 2005 and the brickfilmer in 2014 is that their perceived audience is so radically different. The brickfilmer back in 2005 won't have the potential for a thousand views, the only people that will see their video are the voice actors, maybe family, and a couple strangers online. The brickfilm they are going to make is unaltered by societal pressures, it's just a thing they want to make for themselves and share with a couple people. That's how you end up with brickfilms like Taco Trouble and For Trubador. For Trubador is a more recent example but it was made in the early days of YouTube where this paradigm shift hadn't yet occurred.

I have little concrete evidence for my thoughts and I wasn't even around in 2005, but I do think YouTube has had a more resonating effect on the brickfilm community than one may perceive at surface glance.

Last edited by NXTManiac (June 3, 2014 (01:15pm))

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

NXTManiac wrote:

I wonder, did YouTube change our expectations of what a brickfilm ought to be? ...What I'm trying to get at is that there has been a paradigm shift in our expectations and self imposed restrictions due to the way we access brickfilms.

...I have little concrete evidence for my thoughts and I wasn't even around in 2005, but I do think YouTube has had a more resonating effect on the brickfilm community than one may perceive at surface glance.

I agree that Youtube has made an impact on brickfilming, however, I'd actually argue that things have swung oppositely! Before, in the earlier days of the internet, aspiring filmmakers and/or LEGO fanatics that were lucky enough to find brickfilms.com were inspired by the other brickfilmers out there, and could make their films, knowing how big of an audience they would potentially reach over the inter-webs.

However, when youtube gets around, (as well as streaming) though a greater audience IS created, I feel that many of the aspiring brickfilmers perceive this imaginary "viewership wall," as, when they can see how many times their video is watched, (and compare it to the level of views that more famous channels get) they try harder to stand out, and get more views...

That's why I think that licensed themes, and mature content, are starting to be featured in brickfilms more and more often - for attention. Now, I know that art practically IS a media created for entertainment and attention, however, I believe that sometimes artists forget about the entertainment part, and focus more on the attention, especially when it is given out so freely now in the buzzing world youtube has made for film-makers online.

I love classic brickfilms - and have made it a goal to hunt them all down, and watch as many as I can as I continue surfing the internet. My love for these earlier films aren't from nostalgia, as, I wasn't as prevalent online before 2007-ish. I think that I love these films because they were made for an audience, even if there wasn't actually one there. (Or, at least, a large one) Nowadays, because there is such a large audience, I think that brickfilmers are finding it harder to reach an audience, and thus experiment more... Something that can lead artists to create better art, however, I find largely distracting, and, easily susceptible to fads and trends - ones that usually die off, such as the Harlem Shake videos that were popular last year.

It's really fun to debate on art, film, and a spawning medium, such as brickfilming. I like to see others opinions, and hear the majority of this community's opinions. Overall, I love to see new brickfilms, and how those pay homage, or try new things... so long as content warnings are given when needed, and mature content is handled maturely - I can't wait to see more brickfilms!

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I think NXT may have chosen next weeks topic...

YouTube
Max, She/They

Unfortunately, a content advisory at the beginning of a video is not always effective in preventing someone from seeing something they should not see. Many YouTube users are young. They are often seeking out content they know they shouldn’t watch. A brickfilmer who utilizes mature content should seriously consider if YouTube is the proper outlet for such content; even if they include a content advisory. An artist needs to take responsibility for the primary dissemination of their product. You can’t hide behind the use of a content advisory when you knowingly distribute your product in a forum that has a large population of people you know that should not view your product.

Can't say I agree. If you give fair warning and someone knowingly circumvents it, that's their decision and you aren't remotely responsible. Do we tell engineers to build bridges in the middle of nowhere so crazy people won't feel the need to climb over the railing? Don't answer that, Alaska.

Ultimately there are very few places on the internet that aren't accessible to a persistent child (case in point: BiM requires its members to be 13 years or older, and we all know how well that works out).

Squash wrote:

If you give fair warning and someone knowingly circumvents it, that's their decision and you aren't remotely responsible.

Well, I wouldn't say that, Squash. Though the original artist HAS been responsible for adding a label on his art, he isn't 100% innocent if a minor does see the content. He DID release the work publicly, after all, and, therefor, if the artist isn't given blame, it should be the website (be it Youtube or BiM) that's responsible... But, then again, that's like saying that Youtube is responsible for a video of an execution - Sure, they could be put to blame for not having better restrictions on such content put on their website, however, the men and women at work behind Youtube aren't responsible for the actual execution. - The executioners are, and thus, should be put to blame.

Even though that is a very extreme example, a more "watered down" policy should be used for other media creators as well. If mature content is shown to minors, even IF warning was given, the artist should at least get some sort of warning or something... because they are remotely responsible, even if such a situation wasn't their original intention. (Though, if making a brickfilm; a child audience should be somewhat expected.)

Gonna have to agree with Squash on this.

When I see a post on Reddit or something titled "Disgusting Horrible Human Gore (WARNING: DEATH) NSFW", and I go ahead and look at the image only to be traumatized, it is 100% my fault. The creator didn't make me look at the content, it was entirely within my power to not watch this awful thing. Did I know what to expect? Yeah kind of, so circumventing the warning means I was willing to put myself out into the wide open world of offensive content. I was willing. The creator posted this thing, sure, but he let me know that it was offensive, I can't turn around and yell at the creator for not locking it away where I would never be able to find it and irresistibly open.

I don't think we should cradle the audience, in a way it's almost disrespectful to the human capacity for individual decision making and unnecessarily removes agency from the viewer.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Dyland wrote:
Squash wrote:

If you give fair warning and someone knowingly circumvents it, that's their decision and you aren't remotely responsible.

Well, I wouldn't say that, Squash. Though the original artist HAS been responsible for adding a label on his art, he isn't 100% innocent if a minor does see the content. He DID release the work publicly, after all, and, therefor, if the artist isn't given blame, it should be the website (be it Youtube or BiM) that's responsible... But, then again, that's like saying that Youtube is responsible for a video of an execution - Sure, they could be put to blame for not having better restrictions on such content put on their website, however, the men and women at work behind Youtube aren't responsible for the actual execution. - The executioners are, and thus, should be put to blame.

We're (hopefully?) not discussing the recording of actual criminal activity, though. I'm sure we agree that someone who records themselves doing something illegal is responsible for the crime- but creating a film with profanity, fake violence, or sexuality is a completely different topic. I guess if we want to go into ethics we could say next to anything about the creator's responsibility, and I respect that you feel differently than I do on the issue, but I'm going to stick to my guns and say that if an audience member decides to ignore a reasonable warning provided by the creator, whatever shock and outrage they feel is their fault. There's merit to all kinds of stories; it would be a shame if we stopped exploring them because we were afraid someone might get their feelings hurt.

The apocryphal Twain quote springs to mind:  "Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it". I see self-censorship in the same light. If fair warning is given, art should be free to depict anything.

I think "adult" brickfilms are perfectly fine with content advisories. Even with a lack of such, I still think it's within the creators rights to make any type of film they want. (Disclaimer: This does not include explicitly offending content.)

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

Yeah, I'm with Squash in that regard.

If fair warning is given, the artist cannot be held responsible if somebody goes on.
For example, the "brief nudity" in the Hobbit EE. I read the warning, weighed the issue, and then jumped in only to be scarred for life by the terrible quality CGI dwarves bathing. It's my fault.

Now, that clip didn't have to be in there, or in there filmed that way, but it was. I had the warning, and I accepted the responsibility of what it would hold.

That being said, I also hold to the belief that "mature content" doesn't have a place in any film, Lego or otherwise.
I try to follow the Bible and regulate any content I produce based on the principals and commands found therein.
BUT, recognize that many do not share that belief and would therefore agree that people are free to make and share what they want, but should very much consider warning viewers if there is any potentially offending material.

Also, as has been pointed out, mature content is often used because it's "cool" or because it makes the brickfilm/brickfilmer seem more "grown-up," but that more often than not those are the only reasons and such content is not necessary or beneficial to the film in any way. I don't enjoy mature content anyway, but such a flippant use of it without an underlying "need" just drives me nuts and ruins a number of otherwise great films.

So, to answer the question, I'd give a hesitant:
"It should be determined by each individual, but they should keep in mind the general audience and consider warning of any content for those who wish to avoid it. They should also examine their project and see if such content is really necessary, or if they could reach a larger audience/be less offensive by leaving said content out. "

I absolutely do not believe an artist should be restricted or limited in their creativity just because what they express may not sit well with certain people. The purpose of art is expression, and the works that come from artists are often made just as much for them as they are for an intended audience - we have a creative vision that we want to see realized. If that includes violence, profanity, sexual themes, or other more "adult-oriented" themes, then so be it. If that's not your particular cup of tea, then that's perfectly fine and it's your choice to not view things like that. But don't shame the artist for their own creative choices just because they don't align with your sensibilities. The artist may have a responsibility to warn their viewers of content that may be objectionable, but it is not their responsibility to censor their own creative impulses.

The most common complaint I see that I really don't understand are those who complain about profanity. If you choose not to swear, then again, that's a choice on your part and you're entitled to that, but that doesn't mean that your choices are a model for others to follow. In fact, to me, it's stranger hearing films that deliberately sidestep cursing or replace curse words with more family-friendly variations (i.e. "heck," "fricken," "darn") because it sounds so remarkably unnatural to me. Human beings swear, we have for centuries, and it's not something that's going away anytime soon, like it or not. Thinking that you can will it out of existence by not including it in your works and complaining when people do is just childish and a little naive.

I believe that true mastery of the English language includes mastery of its various colloquialisms, including profanity - to ignore that in your writing is to sidestep a major facet of human experience. I'm not saying you should include a swear word every other sentence, because that would be gratuitous and almost equally-unnatural (nothing worse than hearing people swear just for the sake of swearing). But swear words can get across a range of various feelings and emotions that other words simply cannot, and in the realm of comedy, for example, a well-timed swear word can make a good joke into a great one. It's all about economy of words and knowing when it is and isn't appropriate to curse.

Personally, I have no quarrels with brickfilms containing mature content. However, mature content in brickfilms is a bit trickier of a tightrope to walk, not in ethics, necessarily, but in execution. For better or worse, LEGO is a bit constricting in the realm of things-you-can-get-away-with when it involves little smiling plastic figures. Of course, you can do pretty much anything you want, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea or it's going to work out well in the finished product. For example, portraying something like sex in a LEGO film is inevitably going to be tough, because watching little plastic people bump plastic uglies is an inherently goofy concept, and most are going to see it like that. Not saying it's impossible (I believe any concept can work with the right execution), just very, very difficult to pull off well.

Last edited by MindGame (June 3, 2014 (11:29pm))

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with the masses: Brickfilmers should be able to include any kind of content in their films. The films should definitely be properly stamped with all of the appropriate warning labels, coensideing with the nature of any given violent/graphic/sexual/language-ish, etc... content.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

That being said, I also hold to the belief that "mature content" doesn't have a place in any film, Lego or otherwise.I try to follow the Bible and regulate any content I produce based on the principals and commands found therein. BUT, recognize that many do not share that belief and would therefore agree that people are free to make and share what they want, but should very much consider warning viewers if there is any potentially offending material.

Gorgeous. I couldn't agree more, nor could I ave expressed the sentiment better. It's nice to know that someone else in this community holds to Biblical principles, but doesn't just "complain" when other people don't.

Unfortunantly, I struggle with my own standards. I believe that language/gore/sexuality don't belong in our entertainment, but I, same as anyone, like movies which contain said content. My favorite movie of all time, "The Patriot," contains plenty of gore, and earned an R-rating for it. I also (sheepishly) admit to enjoying the TV series "Firefly." It contains WAY more sexual stuff than I'm comfortable with.

Of course, when considering the use of objectionable content in media, one must consider the nature of the story. I don't mean Comedy vs. Horror, and Genre vs. Genre. I'm talking about True stories vs. Fiction. As previously stated, I dissaprove of loads of gore in films; a good example would be "Pulp Fiction," which is rough for it's blood and language. I'd call "Pulp Fiction" bad because it isn't REAL. However, I do accept the use of very graphic violence, language, and even full nudity in "Schindler's List." Steven Spielberg was attempting to accurately display the horror of the Holocaust in his film. This neccesitated use of extreme visuals. The film is meant to disturb you, to stay in your mind, and to serve as reminder of a REAL EVENT! The same goes for the recent film "Lone Survivor." Blood and F-words fly like, well... flies. But the story is true, and viewers could not understand the bravery and sacrifice of the real soldiers without the violence and language which the situation entailed. "Black Hawk Down" and "The Passion of the Christ" are two more examples of films where harsh language and graphic violence are neccessary for the accurate portrayal of an actual event.

So, there ya have it folks.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

MindGame wrote:

If that's not your particular cup of tea, then that's perfectly fine and it's your choice to not view things like that. But don't shame the artist for his own creative choices just because they don't align with your sensibilities. The artist may have a responsibility to warn their viewers of content that may be objectionable, but it is not their responsibility to censor their own creative impulses.

I swear to god if there is another ForrestFire101 thread after this I will go through the roof.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Sloth Paladin and Mindgame really hit the nail on the head.

One of the most inherent mores of human interaction is that you will never please everyone. You can censor your art so it adheres to the conventional, benign values that form the what society generally accepts as safe. Or you can follow your own path (whatever it is), make what you intended and finish with something that is what you want it to be. If someone takes offence, the fault lies purely with them for they instigated their experience of it.

Whether they appreciate it or not, leaving one's comfort zone can be a positive and eye-opening experience sometimes. You can attempt seclude yourself to a bubble when it comes to profanity or mature content in art or media, but is that reality? No, it's a bubble. And bubbles can be broken quite easily. Once that happens, I just think people need to be a little more open and a little more appreciative of things other than what they are comfortable with. Well utilised profanity can lend itself greatly to a narrative and to realism (as said Mindgame). I personally find the obsessive tabooing of profanity to be a trivial matter, especially when far more questionable issues are freely prevalent. In such I echo SlothPaladin's point.

SlothPaladin wrote:

The fact that violence is considered more acceptable then strong language or sexuality is kind of a desturbing problem with our society (or at least American society)

In conclusion, the real question you need to ask yourself is whether you can meaningfully translate these themes of violence, sexuality and profanity through your chosen medium. To say that Lego as medium should be limited to a predetermined concept is wrong, yet sometimes it may need to be realised that using Lego is simply not suitable.

MindGame wrote:

...However, mature content in brickfilms is a bit trickier of a tightrope to walk, not in ethics, necessarily, but in execution. For better or worse, LEGO is a bit constricting in the realm of things-you-can-get-away-with when it involves little smiling plastic figures.

This was part of what I was trying to say but MindGame stated it so much more eloquently then I managed to do. Any one who does want to use mature content in their film should ask themselves, 'Can I make this work in this medium?' and if the answer is no you should probability look for a different medium, however if the answer is 'Yes!' or 'I don't know but I'd sure like to try!' Then by all means go for it, even if you fail and your art is not what you intended you'll learn something while creating it.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

That being said, I also hold to the belief that "mature content" doesn't have a place in any film, Lego or otherwise.
I try to follow the Bible and regulate any content I produce based on the principals and commands found therein.
BUT, recognize that many do not share that belief and would therefore agree that people are free to make and share what they want, but should very much consider warning viewers if there is any potentially offending material.

You see, my brother and I are Christians too, but I do think "mature content" has it's place in film. As others have already stated, I can choose whether or not I want to view what they produce, I subject myself to all incoming offense. Regardless if there's a warning, I still put myself in that situation; because of free speech, the creator is not required to put a warning on videos (It would get kind of annoying if you make a 15sec. short only to have a 5sec. warning at the beginning). This does NOT mean I have to agree or adhere to their principals, but it does mean they have the same right to expression as everyone else (For example, I despise the KKK, but they are allowed to voice their beliefs in America so as long as they aren't violent). On the question of ethics, I do not believe viewing adult content in and of itself is immoral; it's more of a question of how it's portrayed. I think the constant language in Pulp Fiction is justified as it's portraying a culture that uses profanity ad nausea. In the same fashion, the sex scene in American Pie is also justified because, again, that's a part of the culture they're portraying.

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

I agree with Dyland.  I believe in rights, but I also believe that they come with responsibilities.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Squash wrote:

Can't say I agree. If you give fair warning and someone knowingly circumvents it, that's their decision and you aren't remotely responsible.

Allow me to clarify as I don't think I made my point clearly - I think I muddled two concepts together.

If there is a working system for conveying a content advisory and someone circumvents it to see something that was not intended for them - the artist is not responsible. Case in point, the MPAA ratings system in the US. Films are rated, content advisories are included detailing a summary of the content, and movie houses are supposed to ask for ID for R and NC-17 movies. If a 13 buys a ticket for a Disney movie and sneaks into an R rated movie, that's entirely on the 13 year old and the filmmaker is not responsible.

However, to my point of controlling the primary distribution; if a filmmaker makes a pornographic film that receives an X rating, and they then decide to show that film at a drive-in movie that is located across the street from an elementary school while class is in session, they should be taken to task for exhibiting that film where they did. It would be disingenuous for them to try to make the case that they bear no responsibility simply because the film was clearly rated X. It's an extreme, and somewhat flawed, example, but it illustrates my point. Would it be a responsible move for the Disney Channel to show the movie Pulp Fiction, uncut, at 2 in the afternoon as long as they included content advisories after every commercial break?

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

So you are holding Tarantino responsible for the Disney Channels mistake? That !@#$ up. Those things are the responsibility of the channel or the drive in theaters programmer, not the artist.

To further clarify what I said earlier; I don't think that artists should be punished when a child watches mature material, however, in creating the art itself, the artist must know the responsibilities and possible consequences that will come of what they make due to the extent of the subject matter, and how others will react to it.

Just as

AlNickelsFilms wrote:

...A 13 buys a ticket for a Disney movie and sneaks into an R rated movie...

, the 13 year old IS responsible, but, in a way, so is the filmmaker of the R rated picture. Yes, it wasn't their original intention to show the material to a minor, however, because they created the content, and distributed it, they ARE partially responsible. (i.e., if they hadn't have made the thing in the first place, it wouldn't have been seen by a minor at all, as, it wouldn't have existed!)

I think that some are taking my (and other's) words about this artist's responsibility as if there should be punishment. And, that's not the issue. You can't, or at least, shouldn't, reprimand the artist for someone else's mistake. However, they STILL are responsible, even if in a very, very, very small sort of way.

I think we can all agree on the fact that, no matter how family friendly or mature your brickfilms are, if you recieved an angry letter from a parent, you'd feel, at the least, bad. - It's just human to feel somewhat responsible, even if technically, and legally, you're not...

Last edited by Dyland (June 4, 2014 (10:20am))

Dyland wrote:

(i.e., if they hadn't have made the thing in the first place, it wouldn't have been seen by a minor in the first place!

So is a pig responsible for people not liking bacon, or a baker responsible for people having Coeliac disease? I see what you're getting at, but I'm not sure I agree. The 'but for' test can only go so far. If the safety checks were in place - age ratings and so on - and the minor still sees the content, the creator or an agent of the creator has done sufficient in trying to dissuade such a situation.

Also, you said 'in the first place' twice.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein