Re: Brickfilming Discussion Week 5: For Mature Audiences Only

jampot wrote:

So is a pig responsible for people not liking bacon, or a baker responsible for people having Coeliac disease? I see what you're getting at, but I'm not sure I agree...

Also, you said 'in the first place' twice.

I often repeat things several times in a long sentence, especially when typing, and, sometimes I don't catch it in time. (Thanks for pointing it out mini/smile )

A pig IS responsible for bacon, as that's what it's meat is called when cooked. And, a farmer/butcher/market is responsible for selling the bacon, so long as it's clean, up to standards, and, hopefully, at a good price.

And, though it is on obese individual's fault for eating too much bacon, if there hadn't been any bacon in the first place, then, they wouldn't have been able to get fat on it. (Or, at least, wouldn't have gotten fat on bacon, but, something else.)

Thus, I believe that artists SHOULDN'T be reprimanded in most cases, though, they must realize that they are responsible for creating and distributing such content. (In the case of this discussion, brickfilms.)

And, along with the majority opinion, I believe that if brickfilmers can create content, and distribute it responsibly (i.e. with content warnings, and other such measures) then, hopefully, the number of unhappy viewers will be less than a video that has no content warnings at the beginning.

Actually, after all of this debating, I'm thinking about adding a minor warning label to my Johnny Thunder brickfilm, as, it DOES have a short scene with a drunkard, and a small drug reference - even though both would most likely pass under a PG, I think I'll take this new insight from these debates and add a warning. It IS the responsible thing to do, after all.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I get what you're saying Dyland, but I don't really think an artist who is making mature content can be held responsible on the oft chance that the wrong person sees their film, or if the film causes bad things to happen. The only way I could see it being valid is if it was the creators INTENT to cause harm, controversy, and just general unrest. You could use a film such as The Innocence of Muslims and the 50+ deaths it caused as in example of this type of film.

On the other hand, nobody holds Martin Scorsese, Jodie Foster, or the film Taxi Driver responsible for making John Hinckley Jr. want to shoot the president. The artist cannot control how someone, especially one who is not fully mentally developed/ is ill, will react and respond to what is in the film. They can only share their art with the world and hope someone will like it.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Oh boy, how did I ever miss this thread? I'm usually jumping to write a huge paragraph on this thing but somehow I only caught site of this thread now.

I won't say everything I was going to say simply because Mindgame took the words out of my mouth, but in short I will basically say that the artist has the right to do whatever they want. Brickfilming is not a genre, it is a medium, it can be used for all kinds of storytelling that it needs to.
  I think an apt comparison can be made to the much bigger animation industry, especially 2D animation such as anime. People here all the time are seen getting angry over the fact that animation is percieved as a childish medium despite us no longer living in the age where animation is reserved for meaningless timekillers to keep kids busy but has rather evolved into it's own respectable form of film and television both for children and adults.

I'd never show a child something like The End of Evangelion or Akira

Spoiler (click to read)

unless I was feeling particularly cruel

simply because those things aren't meant for children. Being an animation doesn't inherently mean it's suitable for children and the same applies to brickfilms.

To be frank, most forms of art has seen this evolution, film especially used to be seen as a silly passtime that could never match the high art of literature, but just look at them now. Even more recently, video games used to be seen as just a silly toy for children but now all kinds of mature stories are being told through them, it just has a few more years to go until the bar is really raised a bit more for most in terms of quality.

You can put as much violence or swearing in your brickfilm as you want, but make it feel justified. Have the violence carry some weight to it, do not just use it as a tool to seem cool and edgy, and of course don't just swear for the sake of it, it's incredibly cringey and if you're going to do it then you should use it sparingly to at least give it some impact, unless your film calls for more.

Dyland wrote:

I usually don't approve of overtly adult things in ANY art form, weather it be film, paintings, or music. Whenever crude language, sexual themes, or violence is present in art, I feel that this is a cheap sell-out; the artist attempting to get more attention and views from vulgar and taboo material..

I disagree with this quite a lot, seeing as plenty of arts use adult material in a mature way. Honestly, I find the thought that no works should be allowed to touch on mature themes or ideas just because someone might get offended is pretty ludicrous, as we'd lose out on so many wonderful pieces of art if that were the case. If something like Apocalypse Now went entirely without violence or horror or the morbid themes etc. then it just wouldn't be Apocalypse Now. Not only would we lose the right to artistic expression but we'd also lose so many stories and chances to convey adult themes too.
  You don't ban a restaurant from cooking steak because a child can't stomach it. 

Honestly, all I can really say after all this is, do whatever you want, but just do it well.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

SlothPaladin wrote:

So you are holding Tarantino responsible for the Disney Channels mistake? That !@#$ up. Those things are the responsibility of the channel or the drive in theaters programmer, not the artist.

No, you're missing my point. In my drive-in example, I constructed it that the filmmaker was also the one who made the decision to show the film at the drive-in. In the Disney Channel example, the point was to show that simply having a content advisory does not absolve someone from responsibility. Just as the Disney Channel should consider the demographics of their audience, so too should an artist consider the demographics of whatever method they employ to distribute their content.

New example: A filmmaker also owns several cable channels; including a sports channel with a primary audience of males 18-45, an R-rated feature film channel with a primary audience of adults aged 25 - 55, and a channel of children's programming with a primary audience of children aged 7 - 13. Filmmaker makes a violent, profanity-laden film called "Bad Film". He has complete control over which channels he runs his films. Is it appropriate for him to show "Bad Film" on his children's channel as long as he puts a content advisory before the film?

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

I have been working on and off on my dream project "Bonnie and Clyde", based on the true story. I have a basic outline of the story, and some storyboards for the action scenes. I knew from the very start that the project would be of that of an r-rated tarantino film. The film will definitely not be for children. Now, the difference between this project and many of the action brick films out there is that there is a plot. There is a point for all of the violence in it. The gore is not there just so young boys can be like" Oh, that guy blew his brains out." The gory is there so people will say "Oh my gosh. This happened?" Of course, Legos are a childhood toy as many of you has decided to repeat over and over in your posts, but come on. Lego has and still is producing sets like the Simpsons, Pirates of the Caribbean , the lone ranger, Harry Potter, etc. The films which the sets are based on are not kid-friendly. So, we should just stop with the kid friendly crap. Lego is for all ages. Young and old. Get used to it, or go home. The artist should take some responsibilities for the mature content in his work too. I sometimes watch brick films with my younger ones, but only films I know are good for them to watch. I don't want them to see a lego man getting his guts pulled from his body, or some sick SAW 3D stuff like that. A warning at the beginning is the best we can do. It's our work. Let's take some pride in it, and not change it for anyone who doesn't like it. That's their opinion. All I have to say.

I remember when the ESRB was just formed.  My brother bought a rated G or E game and it contained swearing, obscenities and use of the Lord's name in vain.  It even allowed access to the sound bank so you could cause a swear word to come from the TV speaker every time you pressed a button.

And there are some ratings that are off.  "Earth Girls Are Easy" and "UHF", two movies from 1989, got a PG and PG-13 rating, respectively.  I think they should have been reversed.  And of course, the new, stupid MPAA standard is to give any movie where a character smokes a cigarette with no ill consequences an R rating, which if applied retroactively would turn many classic G-rated movies into R ones.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Does swearing or "taking the lord's name in vain" kill anyone? Nope. Smoking kills people. I agree that perhaps these ratings systems can be disjointed, but exposing younger people to cigarettes in a positive light, as many examples of older media do, can often leave the wrong/harmful impression. In the end it's up to the watcher if they initiate their experience and I'm not one to control what people see. I just think there are other priorities than profanity.

jstudios wrote:
Dyland wrote:

I usually don't approve of overtly adult things in ANY art form..

I disagree with this quite a lot, seeing as plenty of arts use adult material in a mature way. Honestly, I find the thought that no works should be allowed to touch on mature themes or ideas just because someone might get offended is pretty ludicrous, as we'd lose out on so many wonderful pieces of art if that were the case.

That was just my personal opinion on how much mature content is created, and how much of an audience (and potential money) is lost when making such content. However, I, as stated later in this discussion, stated that even though I have these personal opinions, I do not believe that we should, in any way, try to stop the creation or distribution of this material... Even if I don't approve of it, I can still understand why the content is made, and that It will continue to be made in the future, regardless of my existence as a brickfilmer, critic, and artist.

Carousel wrote:

...Exposing younger people to cigarettes in a positive light, as many examples of older media do, can often leave the wrong/harmful impression.

I 100% agree with this statement, and, now that the dangers of cigarettes is known in a more widespread manner, It's the responsibility of the artists to NOT show smoking in a positive light, especially in films directed at children. However, a movie like The Artist, which is set in a specific time period, and carries a PG-13 rating is a perfect example of a "responsible" decision on the part of the film's creator.

Sonjira wrote:

I get what you're saying Dyland, but I don't really think an artist who is making mature content can be held responsible... or if the film causes bad things to happen.

That's what I'm saying, Sonjira. The artist isn't responsible for things that happen because of his art, or from what happens after people view the art, however, they did make the content in the first place, and thus are responsible, or, at least, the problems can be traced to the original artist. For instance, The Aurora theater shooting is mainly the fault of Holmes, the shooter. However, Christopher Nolan is responsible (less than 1%, but, still a percentage) for it in a small way, as are the people who created the designs for movie theaters (for them, probably a higher percentage... still less than enough to be legally reprimanded, or considered 'responsible,' however, from a historian's point of view in the future, the reason for bad security, planning, and ultimate inspiration DOES fall on people who may not have done such acts themselves - even though they unintentionally caused it.

But, that's what my original point was. (That I feel a lot of people missed) If artists indirectly cause something, they are responsible, yet, should not be reprimanded, nor did they likely cause such a thing intentionally!!! They were just trying to entertain, and, weather you agree with their content or not, It's still been made. The only thing us brickfilmers, critics, other artists, and, perhaps, parents do, is to make sure that mature people watch mature content - in other words; the original intended audience is able to see what is intended for them!

In the case of brickfilms, these arguments, as are those of others on this thread, should be listened to, but, in a more "watered-down" form. Brickfilmers haven't, and most likely never will, be responsible for a shooting, or cause any controversy on a major scale. So, the issue of what rights an artist has really is boiling down to what do people who make films with LEGO have to keep in mind when making their films. - And that is absolutely nothing. As I stated previously:

As for my own brickfilms, I always shoot for a "Disney" final product, even IF the original concept was R, or even NC-17

I almost always have dark, uncensored original concepts for my stories, and, I CHOOSE to take the best parts of the story, and present THAT to others because I want to entertain the largest group of people that I possibly can. And, that's the underlying logic behind my original point: I think that people who put mature content in their brickfilms is a little selfish, as are the directors that put mature content in their Hollywood films. They are loosing out on some extra money that could be gained, are restricting (most of the time) great stories to adults, and shock those who don't want to be shocked. They shouldn't be stopped, necessarily, however, I personally believe that they should try to entertain the most amount of people, as that's what art truly is; not only a way to express yourself, but, a way to entertain others. And, I feel that that notion is often lost...

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Please keep in mind this week's topic is "Should brickfilms avoid certain topics such as explicit violence, mature language, and potentially offensive or disturbing themes because LEGO is primarily a children’s toy?"

Discussions about the MPAA, ESRB, ratings and censorship are not relevant unless directly relating to the topic, which specifically focuses on brickfilming.

*reads last two pages of discussion thread*
Sorry for posting links to unrelated videos on YouTube and going further off-topic.]

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I would love to see some more adult brickfilms. I don't believe movies should appeal to everyone. People have different tastes and films reflect that. Mature brickfilms are in this category. Some people may object to them for personal reasons and that is fine. To fully explore some topics there needs to some adult content. I just remember watching Courageous and laughing at how Christian the gang members were. It just didn't work at all. However, this also goes the other way. Films try to be edgy by adding adult content that seems out of place. This is just as bad. I think if it is done tastefully language, violence and sex would work fine for a brickfilm.

I know I'm going to be pretty much restating half the stuff here, but I felt like putting in my input.

In my opinion, if someone wants to go ahead and load a brickfilm full of gore and offensive language then go ahead. Like Squid said, I just won't watch it UNLESS it is really necessary to support the plot. Violence and language can either be used well and tastefully or excessively and unnecessary way. Even though LEGOs are meant as a child's toy doesn't mean that they have to be used in a G-rated, family-friendly way. 

That's just my opinion.

I just saw this thread so hear is my say in the matter.

It is up to the filmmaker to decide what goes into his movies, not the viewer. But if someone adds excessive violence/gore/language/ect. and their viewership goes down, maybe they should take the hint. If I come across a film with things I don't like (language/sex/ect.) I just stop watching. And since I don't like those things I sure don't put them into my videos (I do use blood and violence, though only with clear red lego).

I guess my point is that you can't stop movies that you dislike from being made, just don't watch them.

The creator shouldn't feel a need to hold back violence, language, or dark themes just because it might offend some people. Same with any piece of entertainment. Regardless, the creator should assess any 'touchy' pieces and look at the reasons for their existence. Troma Entertainment produces funny, gory, and obscene low-budget films. There's no Oscar-level narrative to be found in these movies--it's just meant to be fun. They cater to a niche audience. So why get mad if you're not in that audience? Why get mad at the rape scene in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo if that's crucial to the characterization? Why get mad if the world's not perfect?

When it comes to brickfilms, the only thing stopping them from telling a mature story is a mature storyteller. Pretty obvious. I think the children's toy connotation can be broken (temporarily) so long as we try to understand what makes a mature story work in other mediums. Sure seems hard, but it's possible. Several brickfilmers have already pulled it off. They found a story/tone/style that managed to fit LEGO.

Vague content warnings are nice to include, out of common courtesy. We're still watching LEGO movies. I remember when I first discovered brickfilms.com way back in the day and came across a horror flick that terrified me. Thought I was mature, though. mini/tongue

Carousel wrote:

Does swearing or "taking the lord's name in vain" kill anyone? Nope. Smoking kills people.

Use of the Lord's name in vain harms the soul, more permanent than the body.  Also, there are other things that can be used to kill (alcohol, drugs that are actually illegal, knives and firearms) that are seen in PG and PG-13 features.

Someone else earlier in this thread wrote that they write maturely, than clean it up in later stages.  I can't find the post but I wanted to quote.  Adult themes can be explored fully without being explicit but still not watering down the film.  I strive to do both without compromising.  My series has a future script that deals with adultery, but with Brick7's help, we have worked hard to still keep it appropriate for all ages!

This has been a very fertile topic with opinions from all viewpoints!

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (June 5, 2014 (06:55am))

HoldingOurOwn wrote:
Carousel wrote:

Does swearing or "taking the lord's name in vain" kill anyone? Nope. Smoking kills people.

Use of the Lord's name in vain harms the soul, more permanent than the body.

I see your point, but I think this is subjective. Not everyone here actually believes in God.

I'd like to back HOO on the point about smoking, though. Smoking causes damage to the body without fail. A knife can be seen to cut carrots without even the slightest implication that it could possibly be used to maim or kill someone.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Generally I don't really make films that would go above a UK 12 or US PG-13 rating, but the current film I'm working on may well be a little more adult.  I've got no problem with swearing, excessive violence etc. in brickfilms because LEGO is just a tool for creating art, and shouldn't be limited just because that tool is also a toy.
My main gripe is when people include adult themes for the sake of it, it just looks stupid and no-one can take it seriously.
I do also agree that creators should include a disclaimer if their video contains adult themes, as a lot of audiences will be younger, but it shouldn't stop people from creating brickfilms with a more adult theme.  I say; if you wanna create a brickfilm with adult themes, go for it, just don't do it for the sake of it.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

Hey, Nathan Wells, I scrolled back to reread some stuff and after posting again realized that you wanted the topic to be on Brickfilms and not sidetracked onto the MPAA.  Sorry about that; so I'll bring it back.  When I mentioned about how things can be misrated, the significance of that is that if a viewer is a parent concerned about the content their children watch, they should not just trust the rating itself, but review the content before the approve their children to see it.  Brickfilms are self-rated which can produce misrated films (I've seen such) or non-rated brickfilms.  Since people are free to produce the art of brickfilming however they wish, it's the parents' responsibility to guide their children.  And a good parent is involved in the guidance of their children, however lenient or strict they consider adequete (so long as strict doesn't mean abusive!)

When I submit new films to BIM, on the self-imposed content ratings, I try to err on the side of caution, rating things slightly higher than I think.  I rated Holding Our Own Episode 2 mild violence for a cartoony hit by a car scene and mild sexual content for a discussion of naked Baribe dolls and a character mentioning a naked person on a record cover ("In the yellow", she says).

(Also unhealthy eating kills but you can do that in kid-friendly movies)

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (June 5, 2014 (01:38pm))

"Should brickfilms avoid certain topics such as explicit violence, mature language, and potentially offensive or disturbing themes because LEGO is primarily a children’s toy?"

LEGO bricks are the medium. Just because watercolors are many times a child's first experience with paint, doesn't mean that they are limited to use by children.

Alternately, are brickfilmers responsible for warning viewers about possible mature content in their brickfilms?

"Legally no, however should they? I believe that they should. This could be as simple as adding a line in the YT video description, warning that there is graphic violence and/or sexual content. Really, it all comes down to the creator's decision."

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I really think that there are a lot of people putting responsibility on the artist that belongs with the parents of children. If kids are left to their own devices on the internet they can find some stuff that is much more harmful then seeing 'The LEGO Clan' or something. And if the kid is scarred by whatever they see (and kids are far more resilient then most people give them credit) and they can't talk to there parents about it that is not a problem with the artist, it's a problem with the child parent relationship. And just because some parents in the mid-west or bible-belt don't want the name of their abusive sky boyfriend that they have deitized taken in vain doesn't mean they don't have to explain that not everyone shares these views with their kids.