Topic: Has Brickfilming gone downhill?

Maybe it's just me being ignorant, but it seems like Brickfilming has gotten less 'exciting'. (can't think of a better word) It's possibly just the people I know but... People seem less enthusiastic, and there's less new brick-filmers. A few years ago, I just searched lego in the youtube search bar and clicked 'most recent' to find some new brickfilmers. Now it's pretty different.

If this is true, does anyone have any theories or ideas this is happening? (Again, this is just what I have seen mini/blankexpression )

NOTE: Just to clear things up, I do NOT mean that the new brickfilms are crap (many people are misunderstanding) I mean there are less newcomers, and less events.

Last edited by TheBrianMastermind (February 11, 2012 (04:16pm))

Re: Has Brickfilming gone downhill?

I kind of understand. The quality definitely hasn't gotten much better either.
But there are plenty of new brickfilmers, just that they're not very good at it....

For me, just the fact that brickfilming has become more of a popularity builder and money maker (youtube partnerships is what i mean), it's lost a lot of it's snazziness it once had.

But that's just my take on it, I still like brickfilming, but it feels like it's lost a lot of it's luster because of the whole youtube making money stuff. I mean, most people's goals in brickfilming is to get a youtube partnership. Not that that's a bad thing.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

In one retrospect, I agree, but on the other hand, I disagree. I do think that the quality of floms has drastically decreased from when we first joined the site a couple years back. I think a lot has to do on what JK said about the YouTube Partnership Program, but also with the increased production of licensed sets created by LEGO (e.g. Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter, etc.). Also, a lot of the better animators that have been animating for sometime have walked away from brickfilming for whatever reason, not that it's a bad thing, but it certainly does change a lot.

However, I disagree with what you said about enthusiasm. I know many members here don't feel devoted enough, but I believe that the majority of the community (That is still active) is enthusiastic and motivated to make brickfilms, it's just that many of us don't have time due to school, work, etc. That is just my opinion.

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

Juggernaut Pictures wrote:

...but also with the increased production of licensed sets created by LEGO (e.g. Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter, etc.)

Some awesome brickfilms have been the result of licensed sets. Fancypants' The Force Unleashed, KG's A LEGO Batman Film to name a few. 'Lego guys rob a bank 2' is just as awful as 'lego star wars attack of evil yoda'.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

NXTManiac wrote:

...but also with the increased production of licensed sets created by LEGO (e.g. Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter, etc.)

Some awesome brickfilms have been the result of licensed sets. Fancypants' The Force Unleashed, KG's A LEGO Batman Film to name a few. 'Lego guys rob a bank 2' is just as awful as 'lego star wars attack of evil yoda'.

I'm not denying the fact that there have been some great floms from the licensed theme, certainly the ones you've mentioned are very well made. I am also not denying the poor floms created without them being licensed. However, there's no denying that there are many more licensed themed brickfilms than unlicensed (At least right now, anyways), and as a result, you get more lower quality films.

http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

However, there's no denying that there are many more licensed themed brickfilms than unlicensed (At least right now, anyways), and as a result, you get more lower quality films.

Hahahahaha. How is there a correlation between a film being licensed and it being of lower quality?

bricksinmotion member of the year

NXTManiac wrote:

I'm not denying the fact that there have been some great floms from the licensed theme, certainly the ones you've mentioned are very well made. I am also not denying the poor floms created without them being licensed. However, there's no denying that there are many more licensed themed brickfilms than unlicensed (At least right now, anyways), and as a result, you get more lower quality films.

I don't think that the animators that make those low-quality brickfilms with a licensed theme would make things high on quality if they chose on unlicensed theme.

WelcomeToAwesomeness wrote:

However, there's no denying that there are many more licensed themed brickfilms than unlicensed (At least right now, anyways), and as a result, you get more lower quality films.

Hahahahaha. How is there a correlation between a film being licensed and it being of lower quality?

I get what he's saying. People make videos about licensed themes because they see someone else being unoriginal and want to copy them. Like if I made a film with my own unique, original characters, a person couldn't use those same characters without directly copying me. But if I made a film about, say, Star Wars characters, then I'm using those characters and thus they're copying my copying, as opposed to them being the first ones copying. Thus people are making films that are unoriginal, and lack in the quality of their story. Also it makes the brickfilms less of a thought-out thing, because they can make films in ten minutes that have two stormtroopers and feel like they've made a masterpiece. However when they had no choice but to think of their own characters and storylines and whatnot, they worked harder on their films and had to be more original and creative. Also you will find that overall, it's much more exciting to make a film that is completely your idea than a film based on someone else's ideas, therefore you work harder on it because you're more motivated.
I'm going to make a statement that will probably be bashed by the majority of people, but I think that for the most part, licensed themes have taken a lot of the effort and creativity out of brickfilming, as well as LEGOs as a whole. Even brickfilms about Indiana Jones before the sets came out were better than the majority of Indiana Jones films these days because the person had to find a good looking torso, make a good looking set, had to use their imagination to think of what to do to make it seem like an Indiana Jones film; however now a kid just has to go to Target, buy a small set, and take pictures of it. Almost no creativity in doing that. So to answer the question of the thread, I feel like the creativity involved in brickfilming has gone downhill, and therefore so has brickfilming as a whole.

kcirb-- its brick backwards.
Youtube

what

pillow said it brilliantly, "I don't think that the animators that make those low-quality brickfilms with a licensed theme would make things high on quality if they chose on unlicensed theme."

i think there's some sort of stigma within the brickfilming community about licensed brickfilms, especially star wars brickfilms. i almost never see a star wars brickfilm, and if i do it's usually quite good. i don't think in the slightest that it makes brickfilming a less thought-out thing. maybe you could share some examples of brickfilms that lack creativity because of the licensed theme they used? also i'm surprised that you, as a brickfilmer, are saying that you can just buy any licensed set at target and take pictures of it and - BOOM - there's a brickfilm. i would've hoped you knew that a lot more goes into the brickfilming process then that. it's an insult to people who make licensed films, and i do not see how making a film with a non-licensed set leads to more creativity in the act of making it. secondly, the people are still making up their own characters and plotlines, unless by licensed films you meant some one copying one of the movies that has been licensed then re-creating it. by licensed i meant just using the licensed sets and characters, and have it take place in the same universe as the film. i don't see how "luke's adventures on tatooine" is any less creative than a film such as "john and bob rob a bank".

I'm saying that a person who doesn't know how to brickfilm can go buy a set and take a few pictures and think that it's a good brickfilm. I know very well how much goes into brickfilming, believe you me. I'm not saying that people that make good licensed videos are bad. I'm saying that a brickfilmer without a BiM account who doesn't know what they're doing has the ability to spend almost no time or effort on a "brickfilm" (I use the term only in the technical sense here, I'm not saying that the film would be considered a brickfilm to brickfilmers). The ability. Not bashing people who make licensed brickfilms, only saying that it tunes down the necessity of creativity and allows for more low-quality brickfilms simply because people don't need to spend as much time and effort on them.

Youtube

kcirbfilms wrote:

I'm saying that a person who doesn't know how to brickfilm can go buy a set and take a few pictures and think that it's a good brickfilm.

why is there a problem with this? i think part of the fun of brickfilming is lost when i get too serious about it and feels like more than a hobby, more like an obligation. i personally have the most fun when i just sit down on my own time and work on something that i enjoy, whether it be a starwars film or an animation challenge or whatever. if that guy wants to think that it's a good brickfilm, good for him! if you wallow in self-pity about how bad you are, and how you wish you could be like the great brickfilmers you're not going to get anything done.

You misunderstand my meaning. I'm saying that the quality of the average brickfilm has gone down due to licensed sets because there are more people that don't know what they're doing for the most part making brickfilms. And I'm not saying that anyone should wallow in self-pity, but improvement and growth is a big part of life as a whole, and personally I think that it's more fun to see the improvement of one's films than to think that a film I make is the best thing ever.

Youtube

I don't think there have been as many particularly good brickfilms in the last couple years, perhaps. Part of me just thinks that it's because the best films always come from a small handful of the best people, and many of them have not had time to make ambitious projects lately. Still, even recently there has been the occasional particularly great brickfilm, such as the Henri & Edmond sequel.

I don't think there's been much decline in quality as far as the best brickfilms being made, it's just that there's a lot more of the lower quality stuff to sift through because of the explosion of YouTube over the last few years.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

There are less good films, there are more bad films, so yes, I do think brickfilming is going downhill. I've got several theories about why this is, but if I were to pick one, I'd say that most people just don't care about it.

Think about it. A lot of the very well known brickfilmers these days are a) pursuing some film-related career/major, or b) are already working in film. There are a few exceptions, like Buxton (0ldScratch), who writes financial software for a living, which is hardly film related. However, I do remember that Buxton had a whole load of animation tests done before he worked on Out of Time, his first brickfilm, and although his profession isn't film related, I can't say that he doesn't have an interest in film. On the other hand, we've got Jay Silver (The Gauntlet, Rapunzel) who is currently an animation director on an educational show, I believe. Then we've got the more recent generation of "greats," including Night Owl, who has an immense interest in cinematography; Smeagol, who is studying film; KG, who I'm certain is studying animation, and so on.

Then we've got everyone else, who may or may not have picked up a book or two on animation or filmmaking, but probably learned everything they know about animation from this site, which is probably one of the least intelligent things to do if you've got a real interest in some aspect of film. We're almost all amateurs here; don't expect to learn much here. I know I've only visited one other online animation forum, and only read one book on animation, but that book was written by Richard Williams, animation director on Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and a respectable number of the active members on that animation forum are actually working in the field. In the 12-18 months I've visited that site and read that book, I feel as if I've learned so much more about animation than I have since I joined Brickfilms.com back in 2005, because I'm learning from people who are at a level much higher than my own.

Perhaps I've wandered off my main point a little bit. Perhaps I've stuck my foot in my mouth. However, I do feel that many of the people making brickfilms now just aren't willing to do the work necessary to make a good brickfilm, and that is why brickfilming has gone downhill.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

kcirbfilms wrote:

You misunderstand my meaning. I'm saying that the quality of the average brickfilm has gone down due to licensed sets because there are more people that don't know what they're doing for the most part making brickfilms. And I'm not saying that anyone should wallow in self-pity, but improvement and growth is a big part of life as a whole, and personally I think that it's more fun to see the improvement of one's films than to think that a film I make is the best thing ever.

This is what I was trying to say.

Look, I'm not trying to bash licensed made brickfilms, heck we've made many of them. What I'm trying to say is that with more people animating licensed themed brickfilms means more of the not-as-good animators animating them. If they chose to create an 'original' brickfilm, odds are it would be just as bad if not worse than the licensed films. I have seen many poor 'original' films, but I've seen many more poor LEGO Star Wars films alone than the poor 'original' ones (Unless you count CoD and shootouts 'original', then it might be pretty even). I'm not saying that films such as The Great Disturbance or A Clone Halloween: Gurve Meh teh Carndy! are automatically bad just because it's licensed, nor am I saying that a film such as The Button is automatically good because it isn't licensed. But from what I've seen, I believe that more lower quality films are being produced from licensed themes than unlicensed. (For the record, I don't dislike licensed LEGO products; in fact I quite like them)

You are right. It's a vicious circle. A bunch of kiddos watch for example xxxfancypantsxxx's The Force Unleashed and then they think "I have Star Wars sets too I'm gonna give it a go" that's how hundreds of low quality brickfilms are made. However, it's not their fault that they make such videos, I mean the idea of brickfilms in the first place is that pretty much anyone with a camera and some Lego minifigs can make a film. That is how pretty much all of us started brickfilming anyways, you see some cool video made with legos and you give it a shot, some people realize that it's too hard for them and they stop brickfilming while the others continue on and they become better and better. Sure licensed themes cause a lack of originality in most of the brickfilms but what are you going to do about it? With the Superhero sets coming out get ready for hundreds of low quality superhero brickfilms and don't forget LOTR too...

While I agree that they seem to have gone downhill, you've gotta remember that when you first discover brickfilms, the mere movement of Lego people was enough to amaze, and as you continue watching them over time it takes more and more to impress you, so after seeing many films of the same quality over a long period of time they'd come off as progressively less impressive. Plus you've gotta throw nostalgia into the mix, too.
I will admit that I do prefer the general feel of older brickfilms, though, and the shoddy ones from back then are better than the shoddy ones from now, for reasons listed above. Generally older ones tend to feel more imaginative and have a certain charm to them. But yeah, just felt like I should point out what I did above.
(I'm a little tired so hopefully this is coherent.)

Well, I think that Brickfilming hasn't really produced many great films recently like when it did back in the mid-late 2000s. Grace and America: Outlawed, to name a few produced back then, and Heri and Edmond: Copyright, to name a great film that was produced recently. I do think it is both a mixture of Great Brickfilmers of the past just moving on, like Nathan Wells (I think he has decided to stop), and people just being busy. I'm not saying it's wrong for others to move on, but I just think it is one of the reasons for the decline. I am interested in brickfilms, I plan to make a cartoon series. However, I just don't have the time right now due to school. And I'm sure others are facing the same situations, either with work or school.
It's not the end yet, though. Just my 2 cents.

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

I was going to say what DJM pointed out. I'm just talking about me, but I'm not making any brickfilm lately just because I don't have time *coughlazycough*, and also I can't concentrate really well. But as soon as there's a holiday I always try to film something.
About the quality, I agree there have been less great films lately. It may be that newer brickfilmers mostly film just to have a youtube partnership like JK said, and not because they're actually interested in getting better and telling good stories. It may also be that people might be less ambitious than before.
I just know that I'll do my best to create something enjoyable.