Re: Has Brickfilming gone downhill?

Hazzat wrote:

(So many walls of text here, I'll keep it short.)

You want brickfilming to regain the magic it once had? Make it happen.

It's all very well saying that you think it's gone downhill, but that won't change anything. It's up to you to make the next great brickfilm(s), to put real effort and creativity into what you're making and create something entertaining and inspiring. Don't leave it up to everyone else.

Bam...    oh wait--that goes for me as well! mini/tongue

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

It may have gone downhill, but that's the brickfilmers' fault. We can make it happen by making awesomeness just like before.

YouTube channel
N00bToob ebovv

I agree entirely with Hazzat. I cannot stand these kind of threads any more than I can stand ageing pretentious film critics saying "THE OLD FILMS WERE BETTER THAN THIS MODERN CRAP!!"

This is not 'The Golden Age of Brickfilms' any-more. Sorry about that - but its not coming back. Take a leaf out of every single medium and Post-Modernise! Just Kidden, Darkman, FancyPants, Kinzcove, KG - these Brickfilmers are all part of a new wave. Follow their example, and INNOVATE! RE-IMAGINE! POST-MODERNISE! Don't try to recreate 'The Golden Age of Brickfilms' - make an entirely new Age!!

Oh, and before you call me hypocritical for saying this: I recently made a Brickfilm entirely in a selection of UN-subtitled foreign languages. INNOVATE! RE-IMAGINE! POST-MODERNISE!

(And not all Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Batman Brickfilms are bad. Its just there are very few good ones. There is still potential...)

YouTube
Max, She/They

Well, having archived the old Brickfilms.com database and watched a lot of the films in there, I can assure you there were as many crap brickfilms back then as there are now.

People tend to forget about the bad stuff and remember the classics. When we think about brickfilms of 5 or 10 years ago we can only think about the awesome films. Contrasting with that, when we think of brickfilms made this month we can still remember the terrible films.

So yeah, no it hasn't. It's gone uphill if anything.

Some wise man once said "History is the worlds greatest spam blocker". For example, everyone says "In the 70's we had Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin. Today we have Justin Bieber" - when in reality there were probably many Bieber-equivalents back in the 70's, and the fact I cannot name any proves how History buries mediocrity. Has no-one here watched Amadeus?

[/thread] - AND PLEASE DON'T MAKE A WHINY THREAD LIKE THIS EVER AGAIN

YouTube
Max, She/They

People misunderstanding a post is quite irritating, especially when they become upset over it. mini/rolleyes I'll make sure to use least words possible next time, so that some people can understand.

Last edited by TheBrianMastermind (February 11, 2012 (04:52pm))

Max Butcher, you are the radicalest person on this earth.

MB, I don't really think of this thread as "whiny", I think it more addresses a problem and encourages people to fix it.

Has Brickfilming ever been at the top of the hill to begin with? I haven't been a Brickfilmer for long (1 year perhaps) but I do know this is a relatively new art form. It began roughly 27 years ago, are we really worried that its already reached its peak?

Last edited by Repelling Spider (February 11, 2012 (07:32pm))

IDK, the topic started out as such, but it eventually morphed into this

Not that I have anything against this stuff. I agree with it all and I think we most all do and maybe we shouldn't repeat everything over again. The Golden Age is over-rated. Brickfilming has never been big enough to have eras named after it. You can make a new golden age if you really feel like it, please.

Looking over this, wouldn't the best way to resolve this issue be, make more good films? Something I do feel that hurts us a bit, is the fact that good brickfilms don't get the hype, views, and fame that they should. It pains me to see a film such as Smeagol's Cashman 3 below 10,000 views, while other terrible videos recieve a ton of views. I think, as though some good brickfilmers feel like since they don't get any attention when they work hard, why try at all? Just "liking", and commenting on a video, can make the film maker's day. Encouragment works.

A bit of rambling, but I hope I got my point across.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I feel exact the same way you do but there is very little that we don't already do that will help this so I just avoid talking about it because it depresses me.

I think the fact that a lot of the good animations have so few of views is because the creators do not upload content regularly (weekly or bi-monthly). I'm not putting down on them or anything, because hey, we all have lives. School is time consuming. Sure, having people watch and enjoy my videos is a wonderful experience, especially when they let me know about it. But, I too enjoy what I make. I'll sit on my computer watching my animations over and over and over again just because I enjoy my work. Having these two put together is great. I would hope, for myself at least, that having people comment and watch my videos would be icing on the already-delicious cake. I'm not saying that is always true about myself, but its a great attitude to strive for I think. mini/smile

BertL wrote:

People tend to forget about the bad stuff and remember the classics. When we think about brickfilms of 5 or 10 years ago we can only think about the awesome films. Contrasting with that, when we think of brickfilms made this month we can still remember the terrible films.

So yeah, no it hasn't. It's gone uphill if anything.

Bingo. I still think that there are many poor films from licensed themes, but it seems like people think that all the films from the pre-YouTube craze are great, when not all of them are. I wasn't a member at the time, nor was I even into brickfilming, but I can almost guarantee that there were just as many poor films then as there are now (This quote further proves my point).

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

Repelling Spider wrote:

Has Brickfilming ever been at the top of the hill to begin with? I haven't been a Brickfilmer for long (1 year perhaps) but I do know this is a relatively new art form. It began roughly 27 years ago, are we really worried that its already reached its peak?

Good point mini/lol

It seems all the ones who've inspired us are all off at college. :C

Doesn't the cliche state that the following generation of brickfilmers will replace them? So far, this generation is lacking quality. But where did all great animators start? After getting inspired by Keshen8, xxxfancypantsxxx, filmyguy, 0ldScratch or NathanWells they make their terrible first film with a shaky camera on a mis-functional tripod they bought from China! (Well, I can't speak for everybody.) So, even though at present the current youth demographic of brickfilmers lack skill in the art doesn't mean we won't improve. The only thing we can hope for is that more experienced brickfilmers will assist younger and less skilled filmmakers.

Last edited by TheCorruptedDonut (February 12, 2012 (02:52am))

http://oi44.tinypic.com/1z3baep.jpg
And the funny thing is, I don't even like donuts that much!
Youtube Channel

I like the ones who say "Quit whining and do something about it" mini/smile you think it's going downhill? So stop it.

I've wrote half a dozen reasons on why Brickfilming has gone downhill, how creativity and ideas have been seeping away, now that people can just copy other people, in pretty much every respect, and nobody says otherwise. Then I thought that this has been happening for 100s of years. How many people have invented amazing things, for other people to just come along and take the credit? No matter how much people try to stop this sort of plagiarism.

And that's just it. Plagiarism.

But seeing as we're all amateurs, our only solution is to keep trying, ourselves, to make original stories, sets, and films. Quit looking at those who show us brickfilmers in bad light, and just keep striving for originality within our own small community. And that's all you can do.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Living LEGO wrote:

MB, I don't really think of this thread as "whiny", I think it more addresses a problem and encourages people to fix it.

The first post, and many other subsequent posts are fairly whiny. There are quite a few sensible people in this thread who are encouraging solutions - but from what I can see this thread began as a "Where did we go wrong?" kind of thread. I dont believe I misunderstood the first post.

LarryStudios wrote:

I like the ones who say "Quit whining and do something about it" mini/smile you think it's going downhill? So stop it.

I wrote:

Oh, and before you call me hypocritical for saying this: I recently made a Brickfilm entirely in a selection of UN-subtitled foreign languages.

We're trying our best...

topitmunkeydog wrote:

Max Butcher, you are the radicalest person on this earth.

I'm guessing that's sarcasm. I apologise for using my most recent Brickfilm as an example - but I used it as a rebuttal to the inevitable 'hypocrite' card that's frequently shoved in my face...

YouTube
Max, She/They