Re: Has Brickfilming gone downhill?

You know, Max Butcher... After a while of thinking, I have decided that this is a whiny post. Thanks for reminding me what a 'whiny' post is, so I can stop posting any more in the future. mini/smile

Max Butcher wrote:

Some wise man once said "History is the worlds greatest spam blocker". For example, everyone says "In the 70's we had Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin. Today we have Justin Bieber" - when in reality there were probably many Bieber-equivalents back in the 70's, and the fact I cannot name any proves how History buries mediocrity. Has no-one here watched Amadeus?

[/thread] - AND PLEASE DON'T MAKE A WHINY THREAD LIKE THIS EVER AGAIN

u say justin beiber, i say metallica thumbs up if ur one of the 1% that still listens to real music!!

bricksinmotion member of the year

Nah.

I'd say brickfilming's getting better. The directors around here seem to be just getting better every year, loading up gigantic stores of pure skill.

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

Nah.

I'd say brickfilming's getting better. The directors around here seem to be just getting better younger every year, loading up gigantic stores of pure skill nothing.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Come on, NXT. Just look how much your films have improved over the years. mini/smile

He's talking about the people like me.

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Back on topic, I don't think brickfilming has declined, with the technology getting cheaper more and more people are starting to do it.  If there has been a dark cloud it has been that all people want now are those stupid partnerships, I've seen people say: "I won't upload any more videos until I get 25 more subscribers" which really is quite sad.  Because people like this are just filming for the view counts, so they can feel popular, and thus all they are are people pleasers looking for subscribers.

I film because I love to film.  I love showing my films to the people I know, like my best friends and family.  I didn't start uploading my films to YouTube until my fourth year of brickfilming, and that was because everyone was telling me "you've got to upload these to YouTube", still I don't have many views or subscribers, but I keep on making new videos anyways.

(no offense to anyone if you're like that, there's nothing acutally WRONG with that and I don't dislike you as a person mini/wink  if that's the case, I just think that that isn't true brickfilming:cool: )

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

Nah.

I'd say brickfilming's getting better. The directors around here seem to be just getting better every year, loading up gigantic stores of pure skill.

In terms of technical quality, I'd say that the bar has been raised, definitely. Movies aren't, or shouldn't, be about the technical quality, though (with some exceptions). The thing that should have the most focus is story. If you don't have a good story, generally you don't have a good film.

Another quick point: technical aspects are improving in part due to advances in technology; not pure skill. Even some of the lower quality films NOW have better quality than "high-quality" brickfilms from the early-2000s.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Littlebrick wrote:

In terms of technical quality, I'd say that the bar has been raised, definitely. Movies aren't, or shouldn't, be about the technical quality, though (with some exceptions). The thing that should have the most focus is story. If you don't have a good story, generally you don't have a good film.

This.
The point in brickfilming which should be strongest is the story. As long as current brickfilm directors continue to use strong story lines, I'd have to say brickfilming has not and is not going downhill.

The movement I would say is not large enough to make any sort of these generalizations. In some ways it is getting better, and in some it gets much worse. Typically it follows the fluctuations of today's feature films, but not always.

CavalryCaptMike wrote:

Because people like this are just filming for the view counts, so they can feel popular, and thus all they are are people pleasers looking for subscribers.

Well some people enjoy the feeling that their videos get positive feedback from many people.  Brickfilms just like Hollywood needs it's Michael Bay (many effects no decent storyline). What I find fascinating about films is that they are so different so many genres and so many different attitudes by the filmmakers. I think that everything needs a balance. Guys like Keshen8 who mostly rely on technical stuff aren't worse than other brickfilmers who rely on story. If everyone was making the same stuff, the same kind of animations it would be so dull. Now whenever you want to see a brickfilm you can choose what you're looking for... great storyline? Go to Doug Vandegrift's channel Cannedgravy. You want to see some fast pasted action? Go to Keshen8's channel. It's as simple as that.

After reading some posts of people talking about story and technical aspects and I agree. But if that was true some people wouldn't be here. I myself think that I have improved since joining over a year ago and I'm about ready to make my first brickfilm but back on topic people think they have made the best film ever of to storm troppers having a fart contest. Once they start being creative they will either give up or suck it up and try.
Another thing is that some of the greats are in college or working now and its time for the next generation to step up of the best film would be a horribly animated starwars movie with no plot. Once we step up we can make brickfilming unique again becuase thats how I discovered it and I want it to stay like it

I'm back, not like you guys cared
Youtube

YOU KNOW WHAT I GOT FOR CHRISTMAS.

IT WAS A BANNER !@#$' YEAR AT THE BENDER FAMILY.

I GOTA CARTON, OF CIGARETTES.

The old man grabs me, he says:

"EY SMOKE UP JOHNNY."

And you wonder why you're not in the community forum... mini/tongue

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/638/1291990623271.png

Wrong trollface. ಠ_ಠ

Xoxoxo mini/lol

Brickfilming has defnitely lost its excitement. It was at its peak before I came, the time I wish I was around would be at like '07. It was cool when you had to download films just to see them, when YouTube wasn't even an option. For example, "Out Of Time" was really cool, and I really enjoyed that, and all of the classics. But now all 0ldscratch does is make music videos that don't seem to entertain me. I wish the old brickfilming way could come back.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/base.pnghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/youtube2.pnghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/youtube.png
Sig made by RealBrick mini/bigsmile.

youtube was started in 2005...

The Ghost of Mrs. Day studios: Home of mediocre brickfilms.

ghostofmrsdaystudios wrote:

youtube was started in 2005...

Nope, Dec 31, 1969.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/base.pnghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/youtube2.pnghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/youtube.png
Sig made by RealBrick mini/bigsmile.