Re: Do You Edit While Filming, Or Do You Edit After You've Filmed?

BUMPITY-BUMPER CARS!!!
I make the opening sequence, then animate, fill in spaces to be filled with a title that says "to be filled", then animate some more, fill in the empty spaces, then add finishing touches.

I do things both ways. For me, it really depends on the length of the film, whether i'll need to use special FX or not, etc.

C910 is awesome. Gonna try to post an animation EVERY WEEK! SUNDAY or MONDAY!
YouTube

I do it ether way. Usually I wait until I have a good amount of clips and then just quickly string them together so I have a quick idea of how the film will look.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I normally film everything first and then edit.

I find it easier, though sometimes I will edit a scene just to see how everything is coming out...but that's usually only on big projects (like Doorway to Emotion).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

I edit everything possibele while filming except for voices, which i record after i finish filming. mini/yes

I find that the best way to edit and animate is to animate a scene, take the images and edit them into a fullspeed clip, and have a look at what it looks like. However, I won't actually do the final editing (sounds/music/greenscreening/CGI/imagebalancing/etc.) until I've got all or most of the animation done. So I can watch it progress and make sure everything is fitting correctly, but don't have to put all the time required for final editing in until I've finished animating everything.

Red classic.
Free will carried many a soul to hell, but never a soul to heaven. -Charles H. Spurgeon

I edit after I animate, but the reality is that I never thought of editing while animating. I'm going to try that and see which one works best for me. Sometimes it seems like a lot of work when I edit, if I do that while animating, it might seem that there's less work (it's obviously the same).

ABGuy wrote:

I edit after I animate, but the reality is that I never thought of editing while animating. I'm going to try that and see which one works best for me. Sometimes it seems like a lot of work when I edit, if I do that while animating, it might seem that there's less work (it's obviously the same).

It does make it easier, you get a good idea of what you have, before you completely stop animating.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I take pictures, put them together to a video using MonkeyJam or such software. Add special effects if needed with Particle Illusions 3 and then I finally start to montage/edit my video.