Re: Do You Edit While Filming, Or Do You Edit After You've Filmed?

TBDude wrote:

I film after I'm done.

Lolwut? mini/tongue

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I edit before I film. mini/tongue

I edit after I film, but I might try editing while I film.

Last edited by LMP (August 5, 2010 (08:31pm))

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DaLegoMaster/Other/brook_signature.png

I edit after I film. But if it's a bigger project, then I might edit while filming.

WMM lets me edit mah leggo muvveys while I animate them!!!1 Isn't that soooo00oo0oo awsum??!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

BertL wrote:

I also edit when I film. It's incredibly motivating to see that your movie is two or three seconds closer to being done.

So true...

I edit while filming for longer films, and especially during dialogue, but in shorts, or tests, etc. I film first, edit after, such as in Growth, where i made and synced the 'music' after i filmed.[/watch growth][/hint hint]

My Blog]       Flickr]        Twitter]        YouTube]
"Eh" - Bertl

In all seriousness, I edit after I film. That gets my editing all done at once, including transitions et cetera.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

Edit first! Editing while filming will make you confused and your whole film will be ruined.

Back In Black!

How do you edit first? You at the very least have to edit during filming, you can't start editing until you get footage.

Add titles, make a sound timeline, plan things out in it.... Kinda like that.

-Tejas VIM

Other than adding titles, the things on your list are actually pre-production things, nothing is being edited.

most of the time i just do it all at the end (with shorter films) with longer films, i film a scene edit the scene then work on the next one til i finish, after all of the scenes i put everything together mini/confused

I do a little of both. If it's something short I'll just edit after but if it's long and a big file I do a little editing throughout.

Does a fence surround a house to keep somebody out...or perhaps it is there to keep something trapped inside...

I edit the voice acting for the scene, then shoot, adding shots into the film as I finish them, depending how I feel I may save the visual effects for later.

1. recording the voice of the whole movie
2. taking pictures of a scene
3. editing the scene
->move on to the next scene (building set, etc)
4. audio after the whole video is ready

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Peiler/Brickfilms/Singularity/banner_04.png

I generally will edit clips together into their proper sequence as I go along; sometimes it's helpful to see if I need to make a change in where I should go next.

Fresh ideas, fresh people: HJ Media Studios.

I edit as I go along, and then refine everything afterwards. So I'll make a project and put all my clips in it in order and cut them together, then once it's all done I go back and fix most of it up. The idea was that if there was a crappy shot I could go back and re-film it or do something else with it before I take down the set, buut as these things work out, I'd look at a mediocre shot and just think; 'naah yeah, she'll be right'

I animate a scene. Put it into my editing software which is Sony Vegas pro 9 and start edit the scene together.
It makes everything SOOOOOOO much easier.

i think its better to do it after each scene so if you make a mistake its not hard to go back and fix it

I edit directly after I film about 3 shots (there all like 3 second shots) and I only put in the effects, no sound till the end, mainly because finding sounds takes a while.

You Tube, http://www.youtube.com/user/MaxVegasProductions
"I spend my time hunched over in my room taking thousands of pictures of a children's toy in 1 millimeter increments to create the illusion of movement. Pretty sexy huh?" -Gojira

It depends if there's going to be masking or not for me.

If there is masking, I'll do that before I film anything else.