Topic: Do You Edit While Filming, Or Do You Edit After You've Filmed?

Just a little thread to see how you guys edit.

Do you edit while you're filming the film, or do you edit after you've filmed it all?

I edit while I film. It helps me to know what the finish product will be like.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Re: Do You Edit While Filming, Or Do You Edit After You've Filmed?

I edit after filming. Dunno' why, I just find it easier. If I do too many things at once, I'll lose track of where I was with something else.

I LURK MORE THAN I POST]

how exactly can u animate and edit the part u animated, then go animate more??? mini/confused

I have awesome sauce in my veins! Which i sprinkle on each of my videos to give it an extra dose of aweomseness!

www.youtube.com/NFfilmz

... Well, I put the clip into my editor, and save the file after I've edited the whole movie so far. Then I go animate. After I animate the shot, I go and put that clip into the same editor file and edit it. mini/tongue

-JK

Last edited by Just Kidden (August 4, 2010 (08:34pm))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

NFfilmz wrote:

how exactly can u animate and edit the part u animated, then go animate more??? mini/confused

You film a scene or maybe even just a take (if you have the time) edit that clip, then go onto another scene/take.

i edit as i animate.

ill animate the shot and slide it in my timeline, add all sfx and make sure its perfect.

and i shoot in sequence.

mobiledeli wrote:

i edit as i animate.

ill animate the shot and slide it in my timeline, add all sfx and make sure its perfect.

and i shoot in sequence.

Thats how I'm doing it now. And I would have to say it's the most efficient way to animate. This way your not really guessing about what looks good and cuts together cleanly, and your not worrying about the possibility of needing to rebuild a shot if it didn't turn out right in the edit.

I shoot a scene, then dit it, then shoot a scene, then edit it. Though what I'm going to start doing is making an audio timeline instead of exporting each time a character talks.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

After I render my shot in Monkeyjam, I already put it in my editor to see if it matches my other shots, just to be sure, especially with FX and stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

I do whatever I feelz like doinz.
I think about how i'm gonna edit it before editing it though.

-Wizi

When I finish my filming, I put into monkeyjam, then edit it in Windows Movie Maker, or Premiere Elements 7.0 (recommended)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/base.pnghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/youtube2.pnghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/youtube.png
Sig made by RealBrick mini/bigsmile.

I usually shoot a scene, and then edit it, or at least put it at 15fps to see if it is what I want it to be. But just 1 scene, then I do another scene, etc.

We (normally) film several scenes of our movie, and then we edit those chunks to see if they flow well.  Then we animate somemore scenes and continue the process until we are done.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BuilderBrothers/signatures/thac14sig.png

I edit while I animate. It makes everything easier in the long run.

I usually edit most of my film while animating.  So far most of my films haven't been that well planned out ahead of time so I'm sometimes putting in extra scenes when I come to a point in my film that seems to need it.  My current film wasn't planned out that much, but it's sort of a musical (I'm not sure what you call a film that has a character acting in rhythm to the music).  Since I'm using one of Kevin MacLeod's songs, I come to points in the music that I have to fill with animation.  That's when I make it up on the spot mini/lol

I edit while I film. It helps me know where I am. Especially if you happen to be filming in the same order as the scenes which I did for the Dentures. It lets you know how far you've come.

I also edit when I film. It's incredibly motivating to see that your movie is two or three seconds closer to being done.

Blacitch wrote:
mobiledeli wrote:

i edit as i animate.

and i shoot in sequence.

Thats how I'm doing it now. And I would have to say it's the most efficient way to animate. This way your not really guessing about what looks good and cuts together cleanly, and your not worrying about the possibility of needing to rebuild a shot if it didn't turn out right in the edit.

Thats exactly what I do.

I seem to be in the minority of those who edit after all is filmed. I do a little bit of speed adjustment,
but other than that, I wait until i've finished filming. mini/shifty

"I caught you a delicious bass."

-Napoleon Dynamite

I film after I'm done.

Used to be 'Caidence'