Re: Books!

Did I spell the name wrong??? mini/jaw mini/eek
OH NOEZ!!!
EDIT: Oh yeah, it's called CHARLIE and the Chocolate Factory...

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

EDIT: Dang you realised

_2014

Fight Club is based from a book ? mini/eek

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

Just Kidden wrote:

That other book about a family on a deserted island... I can't remember what it's called though...

"The Swiss Family Robinson" mini/tongue

My favorites include:

"Holy Bible"

"The Talisman" (Sir Walter Scott, not the other one)

"Ben-Hur"

"The Knights Of The Round Table" (I thought it was funny that Merlin had to ask The Archbishop Of Canterbury if he could use his magic! mini/lol )

"The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes"

I also recently discovered Louis L'Amour.

GET DA BOOM MICROPHONE OUT OV MA FAAAACCCEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ænima wrote:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6530/fightclubcvr.jpg

...Or anything else he's written. mini/lol

You know, I still remember the old Fight Club brickfilms, like Fight Club: Aled Owen, or whatever that one was called.

My favorite books are pretty much all sci-fi; any book from Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game series, except maybe the book actually called Ender's Game, and I, Robot by Issac Asimov.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

The Island of Doctor Moreau, The Food of the Gods and How It Came to Earth, The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, War of the Worlds (H.G. Wells)
Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Douglas Adams)
Soul Music, Reaper Man, Hogfather, all the City Watch novels (Terry Pratchett)
Hound of the Baskervilles, Valley of Fear, The Lost World (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
The Warriors (Sol Yurick)
Bill the Galactic Hero (Harry Harrison)
Tom Sawyer, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Pudd'nhead Wilson, The Prince and the Pauper
(Mark Twain)
Jurassic Park, Lost World, Timeline (Michael Crichton)
The Code of the Woosters, Leave It To Psmith, Mulliner Nights (P.G. Wodehouse)

I'd also list some stuff by people like Henry Kuttner, Howard Waldrop, H. P. Lovecraft, Arthur C. Clarke, and
Isaac Asimov, but those would be mostly short story collections.

Oh, and the Bible.

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheez Doodles, and masterfully debating do not constitute 'plans' in my book - Walter 'Heisenberg' White

The Sword of Truth series - Terry Goodkind
Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien
The Silver Chair - C. S. Lewis
I, Jedi - Michael A. Stackpole
Fox in Socks - Dr. Seuss (BEST BOOK EVER!)

Just_a_Minifig wrote:

I think we do...we do have a general books discussion thread called"Books!".

I almost merged them, then realized that one was more of a 'what was the last book you read?' type of discussion.

Anyway, my favorites, or at least some of what comes to mind:

The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri; however, I have yet to read Paradiso

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Lord Of The Rings Rocks

has any one else read Peter and the Starcatchers?

Some of you guys have good taste. I can echo almost all Shale and Night Owl's lists. That is, except Children of Hurin, which I found painstaking.

Gospel Nut, I think you'll find that you can now read a couple books a day and still not get through Louis' bibliography. When I worked at a library I think we had an entire room of Lamour novels

Jailbird, Cat's Cradle, Galapagos, Timequake and Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
The Salmon of Doubt, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Red Giants and White Dwarfs by Robert Jastrow
The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
Why Your Feet Don't Fall Through the Floor - JE Gordon
The World of Carbon - Isaac Asimov
Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics by Douglas Giancoli
Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman - Richard Feynman (his lectures on physics are also great but I'm hesitant to call those a book)
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K !@#$
1776 by David McCullough

There are a lot more I'd include but the topic is singular so I had better quit now.

EDIT: Smeagol, how did you find the language in Divine Comedy? I assume you read a translation.

Last edited by Logan (June 17, 2009 (05:22pm))

Logan wrote:

Smeagol, how did you find the language in Divine Comedy? I assume you read a translation.

In high school I read a rhyming translation of Inferno, which did sort of maintain the poetic nature of the original text, but in order to maintain the rhyme (every other line, he didn't go for the full rhyme scheme of the original) did result in some forced contortions of the meaning in order to make the lines rhyme.

The more literal, rhyme-less translations I've read of Inferno and Purgatorio (translated by Robert Durling) were more clear and graceful IMO.  It's still not light reading of course but it was nice to read something closer to the literal wording of the original.

-Sméagol, who's been meaning to finish The Children of Hurin but is currently reading The Brothers Karamazov as part of summer reading for college.

My favorite book is El ingenioso hidalgo don Quijote de la Mancha by Cervantes. My second favorite is 吾輩は猫である by 夏目 漱石.

I'm planning to read Don Quixote soon.  I was wondering, though, if I should read it in English or Spanish -- I'm more or less fluent in modern Spanish but given the time Don Quixote was written I imagine it could be difficult to follow the antiquated language.

I recommend the English translation by Edith Grossman. She translates the nuances of some of the humor very well (it's one of the funniest books I've ever read). I'm sure that it's best in the original Spanish, but unless that is your native language I imagine you'd get more out of a translation. Remember that on top of the book being written in early 17th century Castilian (for comparison, think how much English has changed since Hamlet), Don Quixote's speech is transcribed in an even more antiquated version of the language.

Last edited by Dirk Diggler (June 17, 2009 (07:52pm))

Art thou disrespecting The Bard? Methinks thou shouldest read the first folio. Forsooth, gadzooks, and all that other stuff.

GET DA BOOM MICROPHONE OUT OV MA FAAAACCCEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I  recently read Cellby Steven king.It was good,but ended abruptly.

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY

Dirk Diggler wrote:

My favorite book is El ingenioso hidalgo don Quijote de la Mancha by Cervantes..

Haha, just yesterday I was at the spot in Sevilla where Cervantes started writing that.

Sprinkles wrote:

The Silver Chair - C. S. Lewis

Such an awesome book.
Another one of my favorite books is "Horton Hears a Who"

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Books... meh... mini/tongue  The last book I read was "To Kill a Mocking-bird" by Harper Lee.  It's our novel for school so we have to keep going over it.  Nice book, even though I wouldn't put myself down as a reader.