Topic: Books!

What was the last book you read? What were your points of it? Just, generally discuss books and whatnot....

The last book I read was called Brisingr by Christopher Paolini, third book in the Inheritance series.
My favourite bits were the battle sequences, which were superbly written, and I liked the way Eragon discovers something of Angela's prophecy (can't tell, spoiler!)

All the Best Books

Janice, you have one ugly baby. Seriously!" — Jack Cox
"Did you actually teach your son to be mean to a baby?" — J.D.
"Not just any baby, but your baby." — Dr. Cox

Re: Books!

2001 A Space Odyssey.

I havent read the 4 Space Odyssey books in a long time, so I've decided to do it again. They really are fantastic, with 2001 and 2010 being my favourites.
Rendevouz with Rama, The Songs of Distant Earth, and The Hammer of God are also really good Arthur C Clarke novels.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/RockyFS/things/sigbim1_copy.jpg

-Available to answer questions on Hardware, Software, and Audio. Also, I recommend checking out the offical Free Software List

The last book I read was Double Cross by Malorie Blackman.
It's a continuation of a series based in an extremely racist world,where the whites or "Noughts"are oppressed and the blacks or "crosses" have the upper hand.

In all the books there have been two characters,one nought,one cross,and the chapters alternate between them.This book changes as one of the main characters is...taken out of the story for some time.

This book seems to reflect real racism and sectarianism,which makes the whole story enjoying and believable.
This book was a real page-turner,I read it as I was in bed on Christmas Eve.
9/10

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY

http://www.lapetiteclaudine.com/archives/011196.html

Not a book but cool as hell.

The last book I read was: John Grishams Skipping Christmas. The movie Christmas With The Kranks was based on this book.

I really liked the book, it was an enjoyable short read. I finished it Christmas morning while I was waiting to open presents.

~Sparks

Hello... It's been a while, hasn't it?

A Christmas Carol

This is the second time I've read it, and it's still really good. The most accurate movie representation that I've seen (and I've seen a LOT of versions) is the 1999 television movie starring Patrick Stewart.

Captain Bulldog wrote:

A Christmas Carol

This is the second time I've read it, and it's still really good. The most accurate movie representation that I've seen (and I've seen a LOT of versions) is the 1999 television movie starring Patrick Stewart.

I have a slight urge to read that, but I dunno. I've experienced that story so many times ...

Last edited by Shale (December 28, 2008 (01:35am))

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheez Doodles, and masterfully debating do not constitute 'plans' in my book - Walter 'Heisenberg' White

The definitive adaptation is The Muppet Christmas Carol, 'nuff said.

I'm reading Desolation Angels, by Jack Kerouac. The first part of the book is my favorite so far, with some very profound meditations on important themes, written in Kerouac's spontaneous prose style. I'm also reading some more Beat poetry by people like Allen Ginsberg and Gary Snyder, and I'm slowly worming my way through Paradise Lost, which I like so far.

I think the last book I read in its entirety was A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, which I really love. I'm writing an English paper about it, and the process of doing background research helped me understand it a lot more.

The Arrival

The most amazing book I've read in a long time. Thoroughly enjoyable, well-drawn (there isn't any text), and not too long.

- Leo

Leonardo812 wrote:

The Arrival

The most amazing book I've read in a long time. Thoroughly enjoyable, well-drawn (there isn't any text), and not too long.

- Leo

By well-drawn,do you mean it was a picture book,or a comic book?

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY

Watchmen
I got this book for Christmas and thanks to some "Read it some more"s from Stijn Heirstrate I've finished it, *Spoilers highlight to read*
I found the ending Very abrupt but when i started thinking about it i thought the ending was very good, I never would have guessed Roscarch was the guy with the Picket signs. ]
I'd reccomend this book to everyone but bits of it are very inappropriate for younger readers.

_2014

Same as DoyleProductions Brisingr by Christopher Paolini was the last book i read
It was Saucesome!!!!*

*DoyleProductions TM

Last edited by Kevin Donovan (December 29, 2008 (06:41am))

The Return of the King Very good book but i enjoyed the first book more

New films-
The New Neighbor
Solanum
Casting Call for Solanum started!

Brisingr

While it did have many cool parts, I didn't notice any straightforward story, other than Eragon and Saphira fulfilling/keeping their oaths from the last two books.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

This isn't the last book I read, but I've read it before. Not really a book...

Diary of A Wimpy Kid

That book/diary (lol) was hilarious IMO. It took like less than a day to read. The second one was good, too. In October (a chapter) I liked the Halloween part, mostly when the teenagers blasted them with water. Overall, pretty good book.

*BUMP*

I am currently reading Eragon again.
It is interesting to see Eragon progress from a dope to a mildly intelligent person. At the beggining of the book he is a simpleton with a grouchy uncle and some weird 'egg'.
**-SPOILERS-**
Nearing the middle of the book he is learning to read(wtf, I know) has a dragon, is stalking Ra'zac(eww!) and has a smart tutor. Now, nearing the end, his tutor is dead, he is a famous Shur'tugal (Dragon Rider), has joined the Varden, has killed hundreds of Kull and has also killed Durza, a murderous Shade.]

Highlight to Read

And yeah, Kevin, you are right saucesome is a registered trademark of DoyleProductions(TM)

Janice, you have one ugly baby. Seriously!" — Jack Cox
"Did you actually teach your son to be mean to a baby?" — J.D.
"Not just any baby, but your baby." — Dr. Cox

No offense, but I don't see much character development in Eragon.

Just_a_Minifig wrote:

By well-drawn,do you mean it was a picture book,or a comic book?

The story is told only through pictures, no text.

I've read all three Eragon books, but haven't really been that impressed. I was hoping that Brisingr would be a significant step forward for Paolini, but I didn't feel like it was.

- Leo

Green Eggs and Ham

Incredible work of poetry.

One thing that bugs me about the Eragon books is where the translations for the different languages are placed; in the back of the book. It would be much nicer if he had any translations at the bottom of the page, so you don't have to go all the way to the back of the book if you want to know what they're saying, and risk losing your place.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...