Re: The Closing of "The Coffee Shop"

Is this a *hint hint* *nudge nudge* *cough* MAKE BLUE BE IN CHARGE OF COMMUNITY. *cough* *nudge nudge* *hint hint*?

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

The community is what made this site, without it, we're nothing.

Seriously, can't you just have a stricter community forum, with like 5 topics?

She'd be better than the current administration.

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY

We've said it quite a few times now. We plan on bringing The Coffee Shop back, with a couple revisions and rules. Don't act like it's the end of Bricks in Motion.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

vik wrote:
Real Brick wrote:

And I know the moderators want to complain you can always chat about personal stuff on the Chat. Well you can chat about brickfilming in chat too.

So what are you saying ? Delete the part about filmmaking ? I assume not.

No, I am saying it is a poor excuse.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

Can we have the War Room back? It was only really immature patriotic teenagers who were causing the problem.

Also like LEGO, make parents confirm the age of people joining.

Last edited by zerowellies (July 4, 2010 (09:55am))

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

The staff is discussing the future of the war room, it's not decided as to what's going to happen to it yet.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Scrap it.

Just_a_Minifig wrote:

She'd be better than the current administration.

Nah smeagol's cool.

Yo, Smeagol imma let you finish, but NXTManic should be in charge!

No Smeagol your cool, and this change is for the better.

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

Why?

I was having intelligent discussion in there.

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

Real Brick wrote:
vik wrote:
Real Brick wrote:

And I know the moderators want to complain you can always chat about personal stuff on the Chat. Well you can chat about brickfilming in chat too.

So what are you saying ? Delete the part about filmmaking ? I assume not.

No, I am saying it is a poor excuse.

Not really because it's a site about brickfilming, not about 'personal stuff.'

LegoDudez>    No, I will post much more in the Software and Hardware forum, spam it up with my threads, bumP up new ones, AND ACTUALLY DO BRICKFILMING STUFF.

Maybe you should have openings for more moderators. I personally fonts miss the coffee shop but I can tell people want it back mini/smile

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12980977/sigmachine.png
YouTube uncompleted project: filming not in progress

mini/eh Do you think we could put a link for the chat back up on the top of the forum section again? I liked how you could access it from any part of the forum, but now there's only one way to it. mini/sad

Last edited by UniLego (July 4, 2010 (11:16am))

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac244/Dhizmoraxe/BiM%20Signature/BiMbubbles.png
Latest video: splat.

It's good that people are able to articulate themselves on this issue and the decision wasn't an easy one.  I think the Coffee Shop forum can be a fun place when people are mature, and though I initially resisted the suggestion from the staff of closing the forum for a while I came around to the idea because the Coffee Shop has been where most of the recent problems in the community have blossomed.  I really don't want to just "kill fun," what we ended up deciding to do is far less drastic than what many people were recommending to me.  I would rather not have some über-strict forum with five threads, but obviously the current incarnation of the off-topic forum was a source of some problems.

SmallTimeProductions wrote:

Brickfilming is what brought us all together, and The Coffee Shop was basically what kept us all together.

If this is true, it's a sad commentary in my opinion.  While a sense of community is beneficial, talking far more about things unrelated to our primary common interest than the hobby itself doesn't seem like it could be that beneficial for the community's original goal of helping each other become better filmmakers.  The site has lost its soul, but not because we closed the off-topic forum; it's because we haven't had an interesting discussion about filmmaking in years, and that's what used to make this community a great place.

That said, I will take this opportunity to agree with something SmallTime said:

SmallTimeProductions wrote:

The Coffee Shop had a good idea behind it. Just because it wasn't working quite as well as intended doesn't mean it should be scrapped altogether, it should be fixed.

That's essentially what we're doing here.  The forum won't be closed forever, but one more warning thread, despite the mostly positive response toward it, isn't going to redeem the place overnight.  As Hoogle said, this sort of move isn't unprecedented, we just want to give that part of the site a breather in order to help it, not destroy it, and when it comes back there will be some revisions along the lines of what's been suggested here.  I'd rather not discuss a re-opening date because I feel like that would undermine the purpose of closing it somewhat, but suffice it to say it won't be all that far away.  For the time being, feel free to use the chat; I'm also going to move "Café Corner" to the 'General Film' forum for the time being.

Blue wrote:

PS: I think the fact we have three forums for the production process is ridiculous. Surely those can be condensed?

I'm uncertain what you mean here, given that the "Production" process is quite clearly given a single forum.  That said, I have added one new forum called "Post-Production," it originally seemed like a good idea to have fewer forums but they all got to the point of being filled with literally hundreds of topics of a wide variety of subjects, and the boundaries were so loose that we moved several threads a day because people couldn't figure out where to post something.  The current, new forum divisions may not be perfect, but if you have a superior solution I'm all ears.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Awh dang it mini/sad

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/daragh2me/Avatarsposters/allworkandnoplay2.png

I have to say that keeping the 3 stages of production in 3 different forums is definitely the best thing to do.  Each stage can bring up many different issues and like Smeagol said one forum can overflow. Each stage of production has many different types of issues and it's best to separate them into different forums.

LegoDudez wrote:

Is this a *hint hint* *nudge nudge* *cough* MAKE BLUE BE IN CHARGE OF COMMUNITY. *cough* *nudge nudge* *hint hint*?

Okay, not my subtlest moment, I admit, so yeah, consider that to be me volunteering - I guess I just want to make it up to this place for not being around much the past couple of years.

RP Hoogle wrote:

I have to say that keeping the 3 stages of production in 3 different forums is definitely the best thing to do.  Each stage can bring up many different issues and like Smeagol said one forum can overflow. Each stage of production has many different types of issues and it's best to separate them into different forums.

My immediate thought was, instead of having three forums in a row with "production" in their name, that it would make more sense to have the three forums as sub-forums to one Production forum (I did some research and there seems to be an extension that allows this) - the specific issues for each can go into their respective sub-forums, but the Production forum would then allow for queries about the process as a whole.

But I am more finicky than most when it comes to organising things, so I completely understand if it doesn't seem feasible.

Rejecting reality since 2000. mini/bigsmile

UniBlog | DA

OH GREAT THAN I`M ONLY GONNA POST IF SOME LIGHT FLICKER APPEAR OR I CAN`T GET IDEAS FOR MY FILMS

With taking The Coffe Shop down, there is no background to the persons who film. Every new member who doesn´t join chat doesn´t know anything about that guy who rated his Batman stop motion down. Just an avatar, a noobish name and a simple signature:"SBU ME PLZ!!!". ORLY??

And I won´t join another community just for talking about captions, the world cup and love. Because you guys rock.

edit: I saw something like that, Blue, it´s a very good idea.

Last edited by AncientEngine (July 4, 2010 (12:33pm))

http://imgur.com/qO642.png