Topic: The Lego Movie Project

http://www.brickfilms.com/phpBB2/viewto … 182#416182

Please keep all discussion over at BF.com

--Justin Letchford (The Doctor, Dr007)

"11 year olds should dance with girls kiss with tounge and make good things out of this" -- Brick by brick
"What the heck is this underwear business?" -- BertL

Re: The Lego Movie Project

Dr007,

I admire you for initiating this project and setting it up. I whish you success and the best of luck ...

... 'cause you'll need it. I hate to say it, but in my professional capacity a project manager, I would not rate your Lego Movie Project as much more than a charming but optimistic idea. In it's current state I would never, ever, despite my sympathy for initiatives like yours, consider or recommend participating in it.

First of all, I recommend you to look into generic project management methods like PRINCE2 (but there are loads others that are as good). There is lots of information on the internet on this topic, and it will help you identify the elements your plan is still lacking, designing the project team, planning and distributing the work, tracking and managing progress and lots more. You will need a solid approach and set-up if you want to have the slightest chance of success. (I would also recommend never to use terms like "that will be easy" or "that will be no problem" in your project plan, as those usually point out exactly where problems will certainly be.)

Next, I recommend you to you to lower your initial ambitions and, for now, reach not much further than a story outline and character description. In a next phase, that could then lead to a screenplay and storyboard, and that will hopefully provide enough of a basis to raise some funds. At least it'll prove that you're able to manage an online community into producing something that resembles an actual result, as that's where most community projects fail.

I hope you prove me wrong, and that your film will be in a theatre near me soon.

-PG

Version 1 of the the screenplay for episode 2 of The Stunt is finishised, and I really, really] await your critique!

Rightio, BUMP

We've got a plot and the script is being written as we speak (depending what time zone the writers are in, they needs beauty sleep) and since we have a summery we are now looking for animators.

http://brickfilms.com/community/viewtop … 05#p418605

--The Doctor

"11 year olds should dance with girls kiss with tounge and make good things out of this" -- Brick by brick

No.

No no no.

This has happened too many times.  It happened with SUPER, and it'll happen with this.  You're never going to make this film, unless you get studio backing and full, 24/7 devotion by people working on it in the same location.  I admire your drive and your perseverance, but this film will never get off the ground.  And, if it does, you're never going to finish it, let alone "get it in theaters" as your first post has so unrealistically hoped for.  Nobody's going to want to pay $10 to go see a film made by a bunch of amateur animators, written, directed, and animated all by people under the age of 20.

You may think it's going well now... we were certain that SUPER would be just as successful, but the fact of the matter is that this business will die out.  It's been, what, 3 months?  Try your best, man.  But don't think that you're going to succeed.  I wouldn't be surprised if this has vanished out before the end of the year.

Last edited by quakefilms (April 12, 2009 (07:52pm))

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/quakefilms/myspace/Brickfilms/whitewallssig.jpg

Hey, it WILL be screened if it gets done.

I already have a place I can have it screened at. I have two actually, one is free cuz it's government owned and all I have to do is reserve it and hire a screen and projector and let everyone rock up and see a movie for free.

We're not doing this for profit (cuz LEGO won't let us lol) but that gives us the bargaining chip of offering to let the cinemas keep all the revenue they make for screening the film.

Seriously, I have this all figured out.

So Yes.

Yes yes yes.

...good luck making a feature length film over the internet, man.  You're gonna need it.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/quakefilms/myspace/Brickfilms/whitewallssig.jpg

I would love to help, but it looks like a big project. It most likely would take years.

Anyway, I also have the dream of brickfilms in movies, so PM me for more info.

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

I got your email D.J.M and have replied.

Nobody's going to want to pay $10 to go see a film made by a bunch of amateur animators, written, directed, and animated all by people under the age of 20.

Actually, I think a good bit of people would want to see it because its LEGO. Kids will want to see it, and some adults will want to see it out of curiosity.

As for whether it will get finished or not, I can't really predict that yet, as things are going well so far and unless nobody is willing to animate, it will probably stay going well if we do everything efficiently. But anyway, my point of view is that since I'm only in charge of the script, even if the script is the only thing that gets done I'll still have my name of a feature-length script, which you have to admit, is pretty cool mini/smile

Badger wrote:

I'll still have my name of a feature-length script, which you have to admit, is pretty cool mini/smile

Didn't you say that about the Adventure CP concept? You know, the one you got tired of and bailed on about six months in?

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

Actually, you said something along those lines, not me. They're true either way.

And I didn't get tired of Adventure. The thing was a complete mess from the beginning, and looking back on it, even if we stuck with it, it still probably would never have made it past scripting. There just wasn't enough interest in the project, no matter what we could do, and it was too hard to be able to coordinate animators with our original script idea. Mr.Lemons didn't organize it very well from the start, and when I took over, I probably should have, but I didn't, which screwed us over later on when people had to read through thirteen pages of the thread to reach the basic plot. I sometimes make references to Adventure so we can avoid the same mistakes I made on that project.

I didn't just quit because I got bored of it. If it had been done right, I most definitely would have stuck with it. It just wasn't feasible to do at the time (hopefully it will be, sometime in the future).

This sounds cool and all, and I'd love to participate, but seeing as it most likely won't happen...

PS The only reason TaaB gave you permission is cos she doesn't think you'll finish it.

PPS If this is gonna happen FOR SURE I'll help out.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

PS The only reason TaaB gave you permission is cos she doesn't think you'll finish it.

She most likely hasn't even been following it. In fact, she probably doesn't even know what it takes to make a film of this length. She probably just gave us permission because it would be really cool if it was completed.

If this is gonna happen FOR SURE I'll help out.

It will only happen if YOU make it happen. If people don't participate, it won't get made, simple as that.

People mostly have a problem seeing how we're going to release this.

I have three options.

1). The local cinema here

Our local cinema hosts a number of short film festivals and has details on organizing your own event, be it a festival or even a whole theater to yourself for a movie marathon. I plan on offering them ALL revenue on the film in exchange for free screening (I will explain why so we/I don't appear crazy)

2). Local Theater

My main problem is that this will cost us/me some money which could be better spent on the project maybe.
It's about $700AU for 4 hours and the theater is yours and they'll handle the box office and such. I don't know if they have a screen or if they have a digital projector.

3). FREE Government Amphitheater

Although free, I'd have to book it and then pick up all the rubbish and stuff on my own mini/sad
Plus I'd have to hire a screen and projector which I know can be done because that's where we have the local film festival. I also think people will love it there because it will be free and also it's awesome outdoors. But then we'd have to hire ALL the equipment which I really don't want to do.

4). Everyone else can copy my release plans in their own area.

I'll inform the media of our film when it's done say like a few months before we release it and you guys can just copy what I do to your local media and potential screeners.

I'm wanting option 1 myself because that would be easier.

Also, aiming high here, I know an investor who likes to invest in films. He invested in The Passion of the Christ to name one. He also knows me, so all I'd have to do is catch his eye in the media and MAYBE he'll want in. The problem would be working around the no-profit rule.

As you can see, this is possible is people actually get into gear and want free (kinda free) fame.

Badger wrote:

She most likely hasn't even been following it. In fact, she probably doesn't even know what it takes to make a film of this length. She probably just gave us permission because it would be really cool if it was completed.

And it would promote Brickfilms.com.

Probably, but I want it promoted.

Also, they get sued if something goes wrong and not me mini/XD

But nothing will go wrong, I'm taking this seriously

If you put together a film that is halfway decent, it's not difficult to get it shown in theaters for free - just enter it into a festival.  That way you get an audience and everything.  That having been said, having a movie screened a couple of times for a public audience isn't going to 'promote' it more than uploading it to YouTube.  (It's definitely a fun/surreal experience to see your movie on the big screen with an audience around you, though.)  I've had more viewers see my videos on YouTube than would ever see them at a festival.

That having been said, I agree that trying for a feature-length community project like this right off the bat is probably not a good idea.  Even far less ambitious community projects tend to fall apart, and with what appears to be a general lack of experience around the board for this project I think it might be wise to scale back.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Smeagol, I can get free advertising with a single phone-call/email

All I have to do is tell the papers what we're doing and they have a journalist around within 24 hours, we've (not you we, a different we) done it before. It truly is really that simple. After the papers I ring one the the local TV offices if they don't ring me first and get myself on TV and so on and so forth.

We'll get more than a few people. People will see a movie just because it was made by an Australian or in Australia here so imagine what they'll do if they hear a teenager produced a feature film in Australia, and all done over the internet which (to the best of my knowledge) hasn't been done before let alone by a teenager.

I'll give us three months to let this spread through the media before we release it.

Trust me, it can and WILL work but it needs you guys to believe and do your bit to make it happen because I can't screen a film that doesn't exist.

I believe.

Do you have voice actors?

We've had volunteers express interest and I'm planning a main cast casting call soon. I want to work with the director with the casting part of this and any assistant directors we get as well, so when we have those we'll start casting but I'll let you guys know when casting opens.