Re: Café Corner

I want a Phantom. Although I suspect I wouldn't use it enough to justify buying instead of renting.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Fit.

Gentry Studios wrote:

The new DJI Phantom has bee released for pre orders! The "Pro" version promises 4K 60FPS!

Cool. However, just thought I'd point out that the pro version will only have 4k at 30fps, not 60. The 60fps video is only at 1080p resolution. Both models (the 'Pro' and the 'Advanced') have the 1080p 60fps capability though.

Sméagol wrote:

I want a Phantom. Although I suspect I wouldn't use it enough to justify buying instead of renting.

I know what you mean. I have been prone to not let that stop me before though... mini/lol

I suppose it could be difficult to pilot it well in a short rental period, considering I've never flown one before.

Sméagol wrote:

Guys, the artist behind Lackadaisy quit her job to make more cat comics, with greater regularity. Exciting stuff for those of us who plastered the forum with cat avatars a few years ago.

Just curious, when did this avatar fad happen?  The only ones I know of are the MLP craze and all the LEGO Movie avatars (both of which seem to have died down now).

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mr Vertigo wrote:
Sméagol wrote:

Guys, the artist behind Lackadaisy quit her job to make more cat comics, with greater regularity. Exciting stuff for those of us who plastered the forum with cat avatars a few years ago.

Just curious, when did this avatar fad happen?  The only ones I know of are the MLP craze and all the LEGO Movie avatars (both of which seem to have died down now).

June 2010. Lasted several months, though. I discovered the comic around then and switched to a Mordecai avatar, which I had for a long time, I guess it caught on from there.

https://www.patreon.com/alanbecker

Animator vs animation creator also seems to want to devote more time into work.

Should we talk about reboots?
The Thunderbirds looks impressive.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

NAB y'all. I'm intrigued by the Ursa Mini! Although Blackmagic has a bad record of releasing half-baked cameras months later than planned. I suppose I'll hold onto my Gh4 for now, though if I were to make a narrative feature in the future, I'd definitely be interested in selling it and acquiring the Ursa Mini. The lack of a more compressed codec option is unfortunate.

I don't know if I'm pretty enough to even TOUCH one of those. You might pull it off, Smeagol.

Sméagol wrote:

NAB y'all. I'm intrigued by the Ursa Mini! Although Blackmagic has a bad record of releasing half-baked cameras months later than planned. I suppose I'll hold onto my Gh4 for now, though if I were to make a narrative feature in the future, I'd definitely be interested in selling it and acquiring the Ursa Mini. The lack of a more compressed codec option is unfortunate.

I personally really like Blackmagic stuff and think that people give them sort of a bad rap. I have the Pocket Cinema Camera and really like it. I am not sure whether I am right or not, and I'm not a professional film maker (to say the least, I wouldn't really even consider myself an amateur live action film maker...), but it seems a lot of people don't keep the price of BM stuff in mind when griping on it.

As for that new URSA Mini, it looks really nice! Hadn't noticed the release of that yet.

Edit:
@jay Haha! I like BM, but their promotional stuff is so over the top that it is really quite hilarious. Either that, or I have been under a serious delusion and professional film makers actually are super models staffing studios housed in spotless examples of perfect modern architecture... uh oh...

Last edited by AnW (April 13, 2015 (04:19pm))

AnW wrote:

it seems a lot of people don't keep the price of BM stuff in mind when griping on it.

Yeah like -- Blackmagic cameras actually produce better images IMO than the gh4, at low ISOs, other than some moire issues. I considered shooting the documentary on the Blackmagic Production Camera! But the useability has some major issues for big projects, because of a lack of compression options, low battery life and lack of certain video features like good monitoring or an accurate battery life indicator. It seems like they get the price as low as possible while still producing a good image, throwing out every other important feature for a camera to have in the process.

I guess I generally feel like I would prefer each of the Blackmagic cameras if they cost $500 more and cut a few less major corners. Even the Ursa Mini, the lack of a more compressed codec is something relatively small to include that would make it a much better camera.

A more compressed codec is also something that's easy to add with a firmware update, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think BM has a good track record with free firmware updates for their products.

backyardlegos wrote:

BM has a good track record with free firmware updates for their products.

They've been very slow, they took over a year to get the first wave of updates done, at which time they also said they would not allow you to delete clips in-camera on those cameras after all, ever. They have also required people to ship their cameras in to fix serious problems (like the "black hole" sensor issue) that really should have been detected and fixed before they started selling units, and they denied the existence of fixed pattern noise problems on the Blackmagic 4k until there was incontrovertible evidence of it from numerous new owners. Basically, Blackmagic uses its early buyers as beta testers, which is pretty unprofessional when we're talking about customers paying full price for hardware.

That said, I'm hoping Blackmagic will improve their camera production workflow over time.

We shoot on a BM at work with some Samyang lenses, produces really really nice results.

Alright, never mind then. I do remember the whole making people ship their cameras back debacle now.

Just found this great stop-motion. Apparently, all the different nail configurations were 3D printed.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

That's really cool. I was wondering when someone was going to use 3-D printing for replacement animation now that it's so accessible.

jampot wrote:

Just found this great stop-motion. Apparently, all the different nail configurations were 3D printed.

"Apparently they where 3d printed."? Hehe, yeah. Couldn't miss it (washed out color, sandy texture, striation lines). Personally I don't really think that video is that interesting. Unless you count having to print several hundred tiny 3d models as interesting. I know some people may disagree, but the level of skill required to pull something like that off is far, far lower than with, say, traditional claymation. Looks a lot worse to, imo.

backyardlegos wrote:

I was wondering when someone was going to use 3-D printing for replacement animation now that it's so accessible.

Just for the record, stop motion studios have already been using 3d printing for stop motion for years now. Laika is the well known studio that has been using it for faces for some time now.

AnW wrote:

Just for the record, stop motion studios have already been using 3d printing for stop motion for years now. Laika is the well known studio that has been using it for faces for some time now.

I know, I almost mentioned that. Until recently though it's been really expensive. I'm expecting to see a lot more shorts like this now that the average person has access to 3D printing. As the technology gets better I think it will become a more viable option for small details for amateur animators.