Re: The Doctor Who Discussion thread(SPOILER ALERT!)

I really hope the Slitheen return! I love farting aliens!

This is a bit excruciating. I'm not saying that the RTD era was infallible - it certainly wasn't - but you (FlyingMinifigure) seem incredibly eager to ignore the glaringly obvious problems that the current period of Doctor Who exhibits.

Yes RTD Doctor Who was a times silly - even severely lacking and downright stupid (the 3rd Season final, Love & Monstrosities Monsters come to mind) - but that element of silliness was often compensated by the gravitas of the acting and the quality of the plot lines. Majority of the time, whilst there may have been some stupid things present, generally the overall storyline itself was not silly in nature or built upon trivial ideas.

Contrast that with the current period of Doctor Who. Often in Moffat Who, the underlying basis for an episode, or even a season, is based upon a really trivial idea. Built upon these oft petty foundations is usually a structure that lacks gravity and lasting substance.

You need to try and limit your approach of deflecting and avoiding any Moffat era criticisms by comparing them with the RTD period, and actually just properly address them. Much in same manner that I might need to try and limit the amount I negatively compare the Moffat era to that of the RTD. Comparison is of course inevitable, but you should focus on actually responding to the criticisms instead of constantly deflecting them.

If we take that above paragraph into mind, is it not reasonably easy to discern that there are some evident issues with the current era of Doctor Who. I listed some of them that I have picked up on previously (plus some new ones and edits):

- Overly complex and convoluted plot lines.
- Overuse of such narrative conventions as timey-wimey, Deus Ex Machina and the totes underused reversed timeline.
- The sonic screwdriver has really become a magical wand capable of almost anything imaginable.
- Underdeveloped yet supposedly pivotal/universe-changing characters (sadly Clara is a prime example, as much as I adore her).
- Large amounts of silliness and stupidity that are not compensated by acting/gravitas due to several prime characters exhibiting limited skills/ranges in those two fields.
- Scripts and writing that are frequently of poor or underwhelming quality.
- Doctor Who has almost always, throughout its 50 year existence, been a show that has appealed to a wide range of age demographics. Now, despite its deceiving overcomplexity, it appears to be quite kid orientated.

If you can take those criticisms onboard, even respond to them if you see fit, without just dodging them whilst making direct comparisons to the RTD era, I will be very happy indeed.

And to finish off, I'd be delighted, and it'd make the most sense, if Tom Baker were to be in a little cameo (as Squid suggested). You two both had some good points on that subject.

Whut?  I'm not deflecting Moffat-era criticism; I realize the Moffat era has its flaws just like the RTD era did.  If anything, you are deflecting criticism from the RTD era.  I never claimed that there were no problems with Moffat, I was just pointing out that many of the criticisms you list were present in the RTD era, and many were even greater.  And yes, comparison is necessary if you hate the current era of Doctor Who and think the past era was great.

It just annoys me when people complain about how much Moffat uses "reset the universe" buttons, when every single Series Finale in the RTD era was a classic case of Deus Ex Machina, and they act like that is perfectly fine.  Underdeveloped characters were around too (arguably every post-Doomsday companion, because it was all about Rose This, Rose That), and as for silliness... I found in many cases it detracted considerably from the gravitas of the episodes.  Pig-Slaves. Cat-Nuns (Cat-Nuns!).  Aliens like the Slitheen and Racnoss (that special was a train-wreck).  And need I even mention Love and Monsters and Fear Her?  Episodes like The Lazarus Experiment would have been great if it weren't for the fact that the monster looked like something a five-year old came up with after reading an encyclopaedia on animals.

"A show that used to appeal to a wide demographic that now appears to be kid-oriented?"  Do you actually have some sort of hard evidence to back that statement up?  Or any authority at all to make such claims beyond being one DW fan amongst millions?  This is a purely subjective statement and basically your opinion (and no, it isn't "applicable" either).

My point is that your criticisms of the flaws that supposedly appeared during the Moffat era don't really seem all that valid to me when a lot of them have been around since the series re-started in 2005.  The only really new one you've listed is "convoluted/complex plotlines" and even then I don't see how this is necessarily negative.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (September 29, 2013 (03:18am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Hi, its me again. Sorry - I forgot my phone.

The reason why I get so infuriated with Moffat is because I know he's a really good writer. I've seen his work for the RTD-era and I've seen his other shows - and they are actually good. OK, Silence In The Library had warning signs (a confusing plot, a contrived 'press-the-universe-reset-button' ending, and River Song) but it had legitimate suspense, and if nothing else it was scary.

I feel that RTD only partially 'got' Doctor Who. He knew that the show needed to have a strong element of mystery (we are dealing with worlds and concepts that the audience has never seen before), he knew that we needed an everyman companion who throughout the show changes and goes on a character journey/arc (although, he only did that with Rose and Donna), and he knew we needed a comforting yet still vulerable hero to guide the whole thing along. What he didn't know was that this is the show infamous for making little children hide behind the sofa. 'Doctor Who' is family-freindly Sci-Fi Drama. Its the English 'Star Trek' - English in how the budget is about a tenth of what Stat Trek had.

Moffat actually got the last part when he was writing for RTD. Aside from the Daleks and Cybermen, the moments that scared all the children watching (and thus will make them always remember those episodes) were the Weeping Angels and the Gas Mask Child. Both of these new creations are terrifying - and whenever I go to a war museum there is always one person in the vicinity who says "Are you my Mummy?" when they see a gas mask. I'm serious. It is that memorable.

Of course, when Moffat began writing entire story arcs - it became apparent that he could not create a sense of mystery, an everyman companion (now both Amy and Clara need to be some anomaly that the entire universe is revolving around), and the Doctor merged from 'the guy who goes around the universe solving things' to 'JESUS OUR ALMIGHTLY LORD AND SAVIOUR'. True, Moffat-era is less silly - but silly is not the same thing as stupid, and there is plenty of stupid in Moffat-era. I think Carousel's list sums it all up nicely.

Most depressingly, the part that Moffat was really good at - the scary stuff - has vanished. Whilst he hasn't produced any farting aliens; Headless Monks, Alien-Cowboys, The League of Extraordinary Aliens, Power Ranger Daleks, a supernova that be defeated through the power of song, a wall-riding motorbike, robots disguised as humans with little men piloting them inside, and those Slenderman-things are creatures and plot-elements that wouldn't look at all out of place in an RTD episode.

I think the most incompetent Moffat has gotten so far is suddenly introducing a character who's supposed to have been Amy's lifelong freind - then literally a few minuites later killing her off to reveal she's been River Song the whole time. An obvious example that Moffat is making stuff up as he goes along, if that wasn't obvious from all the Deus Ex Machina the show has endured thus far - and Deus Ex Machina was old even when the Anicent Greeks were using it!

Ah, found my phone. I'll be off again....don't mind me....

Last edited by Max Butcher (September 29, 2013 (03:32am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

I actually get that feeling too.  Moffat was best under RTD, when he could focus on writing really good episodes, but now, with him being the head writer of Sherlock, DW, and a bunch of other things he has got less time to write, and his recent episodes seem pretty rushed.  Ever since he's taken over, we haven't, to my knowledge at least (I haven't seen all the Moffat-era episodes, mostly in Series 5 and 6), gotten episodes on the calibre of Blink, The Family of Blood, or possibly even Dalek or 42.  On the other hand, we haven't gotten any cringeworthily bad episodes a la Love & Monsters or Fear Her, either.  That having been said, I loved Cold War and Nightmare in Silver, though some people seem to hate the latter...

Also, I'm not sure why everyone seems to criticize Moffat for apparently being unable to female characters, because from what I've seen of him he seems to be able to do it pretty well.  Also, it's not like the universe revolves around Clara and Amy.  It was clearly established in the Series 7 Finale that Clara was perfectly normal just like the RTD-era companions, it's just that when she saved the Doctor she travelled backwards throughout time and ended up popping up all over the place (essentially becoming Bad Wolf, but in reverse--which makes it much more interesting because there's an actual mystery until the very end when all is revealed).  And having somewhat unusual companions makes a refreshing change from the formulaic "I am female and lived in London and had a boring life until a crazy guy in a blue box fell out of the sky and took me on an adventure"-type RTD-era companions.  And I don't really get how Strax, Vastra, and Jenny are necessarily stupid either.  OK, so Vastra isn't the absolute greatest, and I personally hate Jenny, but seriously, Strax is the funniest thing to happen in Doctor Who ever since the Daleks fought the Cybermen in Doomsday.

And, for the third time, Deus Ex Machina in Doctor Who is hardly anything new--every single RTD-era Finale is a prime example of that.  Seriously, the only way the Series 3 Ending could have become more of a "reset-the-universe-button" ending is if the Doctor had actually pressed a button labelled "Reset the Universe".  At least the companion didn't stare into the Heart of the TARDIS and randomly get god-powers as a--oh wait, that already happened.  Don't even get me started on the whole "metacrisis" thing.  The only finale that half-way made any sense was Series 2, and even then it it wasn't all that logical.  (All the people that travelled through the Void have Void Stuff clinging to them?!  That doesn't even make any sense!  A void is by definition empty!  There shouldn't even be any such particles in there in the first place!).

And don't even get me started on the ludicrously contrived solutions RTD came up with to bring back the Daleks... again... and again... and again.  I mean, I love the Daleks, but come on, there's only so many times you can use an "emergency temporal shift" as an excuse before it just gets ridiculous.  If you want to use the Daleks as a key recurring foe, why always "permanently" kill them off every time they appear in the first place?

I guess I might be giving the impression that I hate the RTD-era, but I don't, I really don't.  I loved the finales, plot-hole-ridden as they were, and I didn't mind the Daleks being used often.   It just really gets on my nerves that people nitpick about supposedly "new" flaws in DW when they really have been there all along.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (September 29, 2013 (05:36am))

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

Yeah, my critical view of the Moffat-era was altered when I rewatched the RTD-era and realised that quite a few of my complaints go right back to Rose, and that this show has never exactly been I, Claudius. There are quite a few awful RTD episodes, and some of the RTD episodes are in many ways worse than the awful Moffat episodes (I feel terrible that one of the episodes I hate the most was written by Neil Gaiman). That being said, RTD never ruined the Stone Angels. At least Love and Monsters wasn't really in continuity with the rest of the series, so its easy to just pretend that the Doctor woke up exclaiming "What a horrible dream!" Moffat has done many things that cannot be ignored - including ruining the Daleks.

OK, RTD overused the Daleks like popstars overuse autotune...and cocaine. But at least he knew that if you use the Daleks, stuff will automatically become serious. If Doctor Who was a chess game, the Daleks would be the Queen. Its annoying, but effective. Meanwhile, Moffat clearly hates Daleks and wants to avoid using them as much as possible - and when he's forced by the producers to use them, he takes a nice steamy crap over them as if to say "WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET YOU TO STOP MAKING ME WRITE DALEKS!! I've already turned them into Power Rangers, made them cry "Mercy!" and now I've erased their entire backstory so the Time War never really happened and all that rivalry that make the Daleks so intimidating in the first place is now gone! I have transformed them into giant pepperpots who yell catchphrases! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM MEEEEE!!!!"

I still feel justified in criticising Moffat's use of Deus Ex Machina, because he obviously hasn't learned from RTD's flaws. Its wrong to say "RTD never did it!" but its right to say "RTD did it, and Moffat hasn't done anything to stop it."

Oh crap....um.....sorry, I needed to use the toilet. Say, does anyone have a number for a Taxi?

YouTube
Max, She/They

I haven't seen the infamous "iDalek" episode in question, but I'm pretty sure said Daleks have ever been seen since, so I think it's pretty harsh to suggest he's deliberately trying to destroy them.  And neither do I see how wiping their memory is ruining them either.  They're still homicidal would-be conquerors of the universe.  This is Doctor Who after all, the whole point of the show is that anything can change.  In 50 years of time and space, the only thing that has ever remained constant is the name and the fact that the main character travels in a blue box.  And this being the Daleks, it's inevitable that Moffat or someone else will eventually change the story so that they suddenly remember the Doctor again or something like that.

It's fine to complain about Moffat-era plot holes and inconsistencies, if you acknowledge that there were many in RTD's time, too.  The problem is, many people conveniently forget the last bit and let it drop by the wayside...

As far as scary stuff goes, while I do concur that there's been a shortage of that lately, Moffat did come up The Silence, which are in a way more terrifying than the Weeping Angels.  And the Slendermen were pretty creepy too. Also, I completely fail to comprehend how an anti-gravity motorbike is "stupid" in a show where the main mode of transportation is a phone-box that can travel through time and space and fly through the air.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

The only finale that half-way made any sense was Series 2, and even then it it wasn't all that logical.  (All the people that travelled through the Void have Void Stuff clinging to them?!  That doesn't even make any sense!  A void is by definition empty!  There shouldn't even be any such particles in there in the first place!).

Don't forget Rose being able to hold that pipe for so long when Daleks in EGYPT weren't strong enough to not get sucked in.

Yeah, that finale had many holes. I've always wondered how the Daleks even get sucked in when they wouldn't have been covered in the void substance since they were inside the Genesis Arc and the sphere the whole time. But at least I actually understood what was going on in the climax to Doomsday, and there was actual consequence in that finale (albeit contrived and over-hyped). I have no idea how the endings to Series 5 and 6 worked at all...and I don't really care because those endings were literally 'and the universe reset itself and everything was back to normal and everything was all nice and flowery and no-one died and nothing has been achieved so you've just wasted an entire season of buildup'.

Pretty much every RTD series ends with some sort of consequence: The Doctor regenerates at the end of Series 1, he loses Rose at the end of Series 2, Martha is traumatised by what The Master did to her family at the end of Series 3, and at the end of Series 4 Donna reverts back to the annoying idiot she was in The Runaway Bride (which I agree is the worst Christmas Special - although its an unwritten rule that all Christmas Specials must do everything possible to ruin your Christmas)

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Moffat did come up The Silence, which are in a way more terrifying than the Weeping Angels.

OK, I guess I'm the only one that finds The Silence hilarious and not at all scary.

I mean, the fact that you forget about them just after you see them is actually really clever - even though this trait was only really properly utilised about twice (but at least they were two excellent scenes). But....suits? Do creatures from a terrifying alternate dimesion have tailors? Whenever I see them, I just imagine their struggle to buy the suit when the clerk probably forgets what the customer came in for and what size they were. Then again, if you imagine any villan trying to buy something at a shop they stop being scary (a trick I learnt when I started having nightmares about Voldemort when I was a child)

Speaking of forgetting.....um......I should probably leave this thread at some point. I swear this is like the tenth time I've promised not to rant about Doctor Who....

YouTube
Max, She/They

I'm back.

As it's obviously a fruitless attempt to try and pursue this argument/discussion without usage of the good old comparison, I give up in that respect. To get started:

Flying Minifig wrote:

Whut?  I'm not deflecting Moffat-era criticism; I realize the Moffat era has its flaws just like the RTD era did. If anything, you are deflecting criticism from the RTD era.  I never claimed that there were no problems with Moffat, I was just pointing out that many of the criticisms you list were present in the RTD era, and many were even greater.  And yes, comparison is necessary if you hate the current era of Doctor Who and think the past era was great.

It's nice to know that you compute that the Moffat era has flaws (I never doubted you couldn't), it's just you never really seemed to voice your opinion on that subject until now.You seem to breeze over the fact that I myself have clearly acknowledged that there were, of course, many flaws also with the RTD era (see my first post at the top of page 47). You paint me as a one-sided über-hater of all things Moffat from 2010 onwards. To clarify, it's not correct - I do hold the opinion that there have been some thoroughly enjoyable episodes and characters during the Moffat tenure. It's just I feel these occasional 'good' ones and vast swathe of potential have been overshadowed by a great number of stupidities, ill-made decisions and unsatisfactory writing.

As Max has said very well, I'm most disappointed with Moffat and the decisions/routes he's made. Steven Moffat created many of the golden episodes and some of the most scary and memorable characters from RTD era. But for some reason, Moffat's huge talent, reputation and capacity for brilliant writing hasn't particularly eventuated or come through when he became show runner. I've formed a two moderate/possible conclusions on why this may have happened.

1. I believe it's plausible that, in Doctor Who, Steven Moffat required a bit of reining in or to be at least under someone's wing, and during 2005-09, arguably his writing heyday, it would be logical to believe that his writing was kept in line to some extent by the then show runner, Russell T Davies.

2. Very likely: 2005-09 Moffat did not have to be in charge of everything Doctor Who related, let alone juggle writing another major series and the same time. As stated above, he could focus more on writing really good individual episodes.

In the latter point, I talked about Steven and his balancing act between Sherlock and DW. I think it a majorly dumb decision on the BBC's part to allow him to have these two shows going at once. He writes really great, down-to-earth stories for his acclaimed Sherlock, and so it appears he attempts to write on the other spectrum for his Doctor Who (which is the wrong approach entirely). Stories for DW these days are so wildly whimsical and extraordinary, so ridiculous, that they take it over the edge. A show with such potential for marvellous aliens, planets, adventure and extravagant plots like Doctor Who also has a need to be down-to-earth or grounded at some points in order to not overload + convey some actual substance and reality that can otherwise no be present. RTD, to a greater extent, understood that need; he was able to straight up and effectively introduce mostly convincing and entertaining characters and their lives, and was able to not only create the hype, glee and silliness of travelling space and time, but the inevitable and actual, emotional situations when the good times run out (such as Donna's end, the climatic closure of the first season) which really added gravitas to the show.

Whereas with Moffat, he at least understands the first half of that paradigm - albeit excessively - the whimsicality and glee of Doctor Who. His Doctor Who is an almost constant and somewhat overbearing mixture of dashing and dabbling about the universe, engaging in oft silly adventures with an increasingly immortal, omniscient & omnipotent saviour alien whose mood is as sporadic as of a child. Along with him are his universe-pivotal and equally mysterious yet subsequently severely underdeveloped companions. That in itself, aside from the Doctor + companions, wouldn't be that terrible at all if there was the factor of down-to-earth reality in the show. Sadly, it's to the minimal. There are sad times in Moffat era DW, it's undeniable, but they are often not nearly enough and they lack lasting impact (Amy and Rory is the only one that is to the contrary that I can think of currently). Episodes where the potential for a substantial, not necessarily 'good-guys win' ending to happen occur quite often, but are basically never utilised.

RTD era had many of the hotly debated Deus Ex Machina endings, but they weren't always completely rectifying for all characters. Max pointed this out also. In Series 4, yes, the the Earth was saved in a silly fashion, but look at Donna, her character effectively died in one of the most emotional segments of New Who. Compare that to the Pandorica, the crack throughout the season was very promising, but in the end, after all the buildup of potential, the Universe just reset and and everything was perfectly fine and happy again. RTD wasn't always immune to this either, the case where he got the balance out of place is obviously the frightfully bad 3rd Season Final, yet, amongst the trash, there were still negative consequences for Martha and her tormented family. Such hardly ever happens in Moffat Who, which thus leads onto my next, and basically final point.

The ineffectively executed giddiness, glee and silliness without compensating dramatic reality; a childlike and reactionary Doctor; child-sensibility monsters and the wide availability of happy endings leads to the conclusion that Doctor Who has slipped from a whole family experience to that of a more child orientated one. If you, FlyingMinifig, do some research into Doctor Who's extensive history, you'll find that it has basically always been a show with elements for the whole family. Anyhow, Steven Moffat attempts to compensate the clear slant towards children by wrapping the underlying, simplistic storyline foundations with layers of convoluted and overly complex details and twists. I find it to just be obvious, underwhelming and not particularly beneficial. I don't think it works, at least for me.

There is an obvious absence of stories that are rich in scariness, reality and questioning, such as that of the Waters of Mars (written by RTD) or the earlier Moffat works. There are not psychological, claustrophobic and freaky episodes like Midnight (also written by RTD, kind of dispels the supposed fact that he can't do scary). In summary, I find the quality of writing to be poor.

I could continue and spiel on about how Moffat convolutes his monsters + plots and continually recycles ideas, how I find Matt Smith to be a wooden, limited-ranged Doctor, on and on and on. But I'm not, because I've roughly said what I've needed to say. So,

Good day & have fun reading.

Last edited by Carousel (October 4, 2013 (02:31pm))

for pete's sake, settle down everyone, so many opinions and in-depth responses!!

Day of the Doctor Trailer

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the 50th quite a bit now (9 days!), to say the least. I still have some trepidation over the portrayal of the Zygons, but from the recent trailer, they look fantastic, so I'm not too worried. Of course, I don't think I'll ever warm to the resident stone-faced 'irrepressible puppy'.

Those things aside, it's great to see the return of David + Billie, also, that they're exploring the time war, and thus I eagerly await the 23rd.

ALSO, the BBC released a very short mini-episode, Night of the Doctor, featuring the eighth Doctor, Paul McGann. I'll let you find out what happens yourself, but my god, it is good. It features the Sisters of Karn, which for those sadly unacquainted with Classic Doctor Who, are from the absolutely brilliant 1970s episode, The Brain of Morbias. Fantastic.

At first I was pissed about Rose returning (AGAIN) because she's by far the most horrible companion of New Who and she's been brought back so much already because series 1-4 was almost all about her even when she wasn't around (Series 3 was all about the Doctor pining for Rose when it comes to his character). But now, it looks like there's a REASON for her to be brought back, it doesn't seem like it's how the Series 4 finale turned out (just bringing everyone back for the sake of bringing everyone back).

Carousel wrote:

for pete's sake, settle down everyone, so many opinions and in-depth responses!!

Day of the Doctor Trailer

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the 50th quite a bit now (9 days!), to say the least. I still have some trepidation over the portrayal of the Zygons, but from the recent trailer, they look fantastic, so I'm not too worried. Of course, I don't think I'll ever warm to the resident stone-faced 'irrepressible puppy'.

Those things aside, it's great to see the return of David + Billie, also, that they're exploring the time war, and thus I eagerly await the 23rd.

ALSO, the BBC released a very short mini-episode, Night of the Doctor, featuring the eighth Doctor, Paul McGann. I'll let you find out what happens yourself, but my god, it is good. It features the Sisters of Karn, which for those sadly unacquainted with Classic Doctor Who, are from the absolutely brilliant 1970s episode, The Brain of Morbias. Fantastic.

I've saw the Night of the Doctor yesterday. It was okay.

Lucas wrote:

At first I was pissed about Rose returning (AGAIN) because she's by far the most horrible companion of New Who and she's been brought back so much already because series 1-4 was almost all about her even when she wasn't around (Series 3 was all about the Doctor pining for Rose when it comes to his character). But now, it looks like there's a REASON for her to be brought back, it doesn't seem like it's how the Series 4 finale turned out (just bringing everyone back for the sake of bringing everyone back).

I like Rose...

Lucas wrote:

Highly subjective. I personally find Amy - a bland, attitude-spouting girl who pouts her way across the universe - to be the most dislikable companion of New Who. Back on track, as you said, it's nice to see that there is some more steadfast reasoning for her return. I liked the 'Bad Wolf' arc, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Oh, also, the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation, that is) have been replaying all of the 2005 - present Doctor Who episodes. They're currently in the latter part of the Matt Smith era right now, and I've been watching when bearable. The latest episode was the Rings of Akhaten, and deary me, after seeing it a second time, I've fully realised how fricking !@#$ it is. Had to watch some Breaking Bad afterwards to compensate for its insipidness.

But after scraping through series 7 again, I've found that I do like Clara quite a bit, despite her scrambled, undeveloped backstory and plots. I truly look forward to the combination of her and Capaldi; I think we'll be seeing something much more darker and serious than the convoluted childish slop currently airing. Bring on Peter Capaldi!

Lucas wrote:

Highly subjective. I personally find Amy - a bland, attitude-spouting girl who pouts her way across the universe - to be the most dislikable companion of New Who. Back on track, as you said, it's nice to see that there is some more steadfast reasoning for her return. I liked the 'Bad Wolf' arc, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Oh, also, the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation, that is) have been replaying all of the 2005 - present Doctor Who episodes. They're currently in the latter part of the Matt Smith era right now, and I've been watching when bearable. The latest episode was the Rings of Akhaten, and deary me, after seeing it a second time, I've fully realised how fricking !@#$ it is. Had to watch some Breaking Bad afterwards to compensate for its insipidness.

But after scraping through series 7 again, I've found that I do like Clara quite a bit, despite her scrambled, undeveloped backstory and plots. I truly look forward to the combination of her and Capaldi; I think we'll be seeing something much darker and serious than the convoluted childish slop currently airing (which is not hard). Bring on Peter Capaldi

Clara so far doesn't have a character. Rose... does have a character, and it's a character I hate with a passion.
She is just a horrible person in nearly every episode she is in and this has been talked about many times before. The way she treated Mickey was just mean, there is absolutely no reason why we should like this character except for the fact that RTD loved her so much that he needed to remind the audience that they should love Rose and be on her side all the time. Oh and the line in The Stolen Earth "'nor me, and I was here first" made me hate her even more.

So the BBC finally did decide to release a trailer.... and now they're released another one.  This is just becoming like the London Buses now--you wait ages for one and then two come along at once.

Well, so far I'm excited.  The visual effects look, from what I can see, excellent (DW has come a long way in this respect), John Hurt's Doctor looks exactly like a weary, time-hardened warrior, can't wait for the Daleks (though I'm not sold on the Zygon-whatchamacallit) and I'm really excited to see Ten and Eleven act together.

My one problem with this trailer can be summed up in one word: Rose.  Seriously, for the entirety of the trailer she just has this weird facial expression that is a cross between a wannabe fashion model trying too hard and a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car.  And her line delivery is just totally flat.  AND she has been way overused as is.  Why not bring Donna back instead?  She deserves it after the cop-out ending her character received (because RTD was too obsessed with You-Know-Who).  And for the record, I actually liked Rose until Doomsday, but now she just gets more annoying every time I look at her.  Maybe I'm being a tad harsh, but I genuinely don't understand why so many people seem to be excited for her.

I agree with you 100%... well maybe, I do agree that Rose should not be the companion they bring back (even though there seem to be a point to it). I don't think I'd wanna see them try to work their way around Donna not burning up when she sees or hears anything about the doctor (even though that clearly didn't happen in The End of Time even though stuff was shown in her frickin' head).

Rose got considerably annoying towards the end - that is agreeable - but don't forget, she as a character did have her moments (Father's Day, for example) where she pulled it off well, and thus you really felt for her. Yes, you justifiably hold opinions swayed by previous years, but saying that Rose and her few seconds ruin the fast-paced trailer is something I really don't agree with. 

Going back to the short, Night of the Doctor, I posted earlier; I found Paul McGann's short episode to, in a way, eclipse Matt Smith's run as the Doctor. Yes, I'll probably get some hate for this, but I just found Paul McGann's mannerisms, his facial expressions, tone and acting to be of a level unparalleled in the currently flat DW. He provided the substance and the gravitas - the full package - that is sorely lacking in present Doctor Who. It really left me wanting to see more of the brilliant 8th Doctor and excited for the show's future.

Spoiler (click to read)

It was also, how shall I say this, refreshing, that Cass didn't miraculously come alive again, as is custom in the Matt Smith era.

I have never been able to see the 8th Doctor in action until now.  I really want to see his little movie now even if most people hated it.
Someone please notify me if that is ever coming on TV.

I'm really excited.  Almost a week until the fiftieth airs now.  I'm not sure if I want everyone to like it or to hate it.

Also, An Adventure in Space and Time airs on the 22.
I find it slightly amusing that C. S. Lewis is mentioned in the trailer since he died exactly fifty years before the day that it will air.