Re: The Doctor Who Discussion thread(SPOILER ALERT!)

I just saw The Science of Doctor Who with Brian Cox. Brilliant piece of television that I recommend to every Doctor Who fan. He brought up some really interesting ideas about how the science in the show could work (kinda).

I'm actually looking forward to An Adventure in Space and Time more than the actual 50th Anniversary Special for some reason, I loved the first Doctor and his first adventures so I just wanna see so much more about it. It seems like it's about when Hartnell left the role aswell "You can't have Doctor Who, without Doctor Who!" which shall be very interesting to see how they handle it.

EDIT: Oh and about Rose...

This girl tried multiple times to cheat on Mickey even though he held her as a queen of his life (she tries to ride almost every single other male she ever saw), then didn't care at all when she returns to her family and friends who thought she was dead (she then proceeded to laugh at her mother who was traumatised), the lack of care for other people's feelings was astounding. She treated any other female character who pretty much only breathed on the doctor like absolute trash, she was acting like som kind of a spoilt girl who got dumped when the ninth doctor regenerated, She used Sarah Jane to prove how much more important ROSE was compared to her, thinks it's appropiate to continue a bet (getting the queen to say that she is not amused) even after numerous people have just died, she thinks the Doctor collapsing 2 universes to say goodbye to her was worth it, started to insult people she had never even met ('nor me and I was here first) and then of course snogged the fake Doctor in front of THE Doctor after knowing how he truly felt about her.

Oh what did she do in Father's Day? Saved her father which summoned the reapers (Wrong thing to do), what sacrifice does she make to set everything right? Oh wait nothing because her father saves the day in the end.
Clearly just stuff people can relate to... what did she ever do that made her so likeable? (So beloved that she won favorite companion in the entire history of the show btw)

Last edited by Lucas (November 15, 2013 (07:36pm))

Lucas wrote:

EDIT: Oh and about Rose...

This girl tried multiple times to cheat on Mickey even though he held her as a queen of his life (she tries to ride almost every single other male she ever saw), then didn't care at all when she returns to her family and friends who thought she was dead (she then proceeded to laugh at her mother who was traumatised), the lack of care for other people's feelings was astounding. She treated any other female character who pretty much only breathed on the doctor like absolute trash, she was acting like som kind of a spoilt girl who got dumped when the ninth doctor regenerated, She used Sarah Jane to prove how much more important ROSE was compared to her, thinks it's appropiate to continue a bet (getting the queen to say that she is not amused) even after numerous people have just died, she thinks the Doctor collapsing 2 universes to say goodbye to her was worth it, started to insult people she had never even met ('nor me and I was here first) and then of course snogged the fake Doctor in front of THE Doctor after knowing how he truly felt about her.

Oh what did she do in Father's Day? Saved her father which summoned the reapers (Wrong thing to do), what sacrifice does she make to set everything right? Oh wait nothing because her father saves the day in the end.
Clearly just stuff people can relate to... what did she ever do that made her so likeable? (So beloved that she won favorite companion in the entire history of the show btw)

I said I liked her, not that she was the best. I do find her annoying and rude (My sister is obsessed with her). My favorite companion would probably be, Jack or Donna.

Squid wrote:

I have never been able to see the 8th Doctor in action until now.  I really want to see his little movie now even if most people hated it.
Someone please notify me if that is ever coming on TV.

I've never seen this movie aswell...

Rockydude411Bricks wrote:

I said I liked her, not that she was the best. I do find her annoying and rude (My sister is obsessed with her). My favorite companion would probably be, Jack or Donna.

And I didn't target it specifically at you... haven't you read the other posts?

I never said Rose was ruined to me just by the trailer.  She's been annoying to me since Doomsday (as I already pointed out).  At that point, she just became really clingy and annoying (seriously, the Doctor risking the entire Universe just to say goodbye to her was just ridiculous.  When did he ever do that for Martha?  Or Donna?  Or any other companion??).  And now she's coming back... again.  WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LET THE CHARACTER DIE IN PEACE, DW WRITERS?!?!  Well, at least there seems to be some sort of purpose for her umpteenth return...

Rockydude411Bricks wrote:
Squid wrote:

I have never been able to see the 8th Doctor in action until now.  I really want to see his little movie now even if most people hated it.
Someone please notify me if that is ever coming on TV.

I've never seen this movie aswell...

Here you go.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Again, I agree with you almost 100%. I hated her even before Doomsday, I think it started with Boom Town because that's when I noticed she was not gonna learn anything. Even when Mickey clearly is right and well justified about what Rose has done to him, RTD still expected us to be on her side.
Now it doesn't seem like she's gonna be in the 50th special a lot so hopefully she won't give me another reason to hate her and I trust Steven Moffat's enough to have a good reason to bring her back (he didn't bring back Jack Harkness because the story didn't call for it so he's not adding every character on the show for the sake of fan service).

So...Rose is everyone's favorite companion...

Yep, nope, I'm out, see you guys next season. I just can't, nope, nope, nope!

I completely disagree about Rose being #1, she was an utterly horrible character. Rory should be near the top, as should Amy. Martha should DEFINITELY be above Donna fo sho.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Donna>Rory>Amy>Clara>Martha>Rose

Donna was the best companion in every way.  Every single possible way.  I was so glad that she came back after her Christmas episode.
I like all of the companions, though, well, of that bunch.  I don't really count people like Astrid.  Though, a part of me wishes that there was an Astrid who was more important because it's so cool that Astrid in an anagram for TARDIS.

Lucas, your bitterness leads to the impression that Rose actually jumped out of the screen and personally traumatised you as a child in some way or fashion.

Rose was possibly one of the first companions to have her backstory almost completely revealed. A picture was painted of a girl from an lower-class background, with a single mother, all set for bland life. I guess people could relate to this - feel for her situation and frustrations. She was then faced with a hard choice, to leave her mother and her (at the time) cowardly boyfriend and go on a potentially limitless and fantastic adventure that would change her life forever. So we were given a somewhat typical,yet dissatisfied girl in very familiar settings, and then this was contrasted with the arrival (in the form of the Doctor) of opportunity and escape. Of course Rose, knowing her absence could be controlled and not indefinite, was going to choose to go with the Doctor; as would probably anyone when put in that position. People could relate to that.

RTD made Rose flawed in some areas; we're all only human, everyone has their rough edges and quirks. Thus, people could relate to that; sure Rose predominately was a bubbly and warm character, but there were still underlying feelings of jealousy and anger that came out every now and then.

Ultimately, Rose had a lot of backstory and certainly wasn't a crystal clean, flawless character. This could lead people to like her for her realism, or dislike her for some of her actions. I think you guys are in the latter, yet you take it too far. After the first season, I didn't particularly like Rose much, she got annoying with her emotions and shizzle - but still, she certainly wasn't the cold-blooded, heartless girl you paint her as.

As for that Radio Times poll, it was nice to see Sarah Jane near the top. Such a tragedy, what happened to her. Good that Tom Baker was up there, also. Anyhow, I'd rate the New Who companions (except Clara, not decided yet) in this order:

1. Donna
2. Martha
3. Rose
4. Amy + Rory

My favorite new who companions in order from who I like most.
Jack/Donna(Can't choose)
Amy and Rory
Clara
Martha
Rose

Last edited by Rockydude411 (November 17, 2013 (07:00pm))

I'll throw in my list aswell (asuming we are only counting with New Who companions)
Also i'm only counting the "official" companion for the season so no Jack Harkness or Wilfred

Amy and Rory
Donna
Martha
Rose

I don't understand why people like Amy and Rory to such an extent. I found the 'Ponds' to lack any real substance. I felt Amy's attitude and especially her stroppy & obnoxious behaviour made her a not particularly likeable character. Part of the attitude was her pouting about the place as if she had the divine right to be there. Ultimately, I just found her character and her portrayal to be nothing special.

As for Rory, he was bland and not particularly engaging. The only time the Ponds grew on me was the scene with the old lady, where they had to whack her with the fence post, which, despite being a crap episode, was a good dynamic.

I do agree with you about the way she seem to try to own every place she's in (but that's not nearly as bad as what Rose was doing). I find that The Beast Below showed why she's a good companion for the doctor (the episode itself makes no sense but hang on), it's good that this was the second episode she was in because we saw her solving the case that not even the Doctor could manage because he doesn't have that human perspective that Amy has. She could very easily see similarities between the star whale and the doctor which the doctor couldn't. That proclaimed her value as a companion in the TARDIS right from the start of her story while Rose was just hanging around for a while first (but she did save the day in 'Rose' about as much as Clara did in 'The Bells of Saint John').

Actually now that I think about it, Clara does the same in The Rings of Akhaten (ironically both are stories everyone seem to hate). She saves the day with the help of the human side that the doctor doesn't have which shows her value and why she is a companion (but that still doesn't excuse the complete lack of character she has had in the other episodes except 'Hide' and to some extent 'The Name of the Doctor').

Last edited by Lucas (November 16, 2013 (09:52pm))

Yeah...I don't get why Rose was voted the best companion. No love for Ace? I know she was a 7th Doctor companion, but I'm sure everyone would have loved her if she was a 4th Doctor companion.

And I still think Donna has by far the best character-arc of any companion, although that didn't stop her from initially being the most annoying thing since a toddler causing havoc in a resturant/shop whilst the parents look on saying "Aww, bless!" (which is probably a good metaphor for whenever Moffat writes a series climax).

I only barely tolerate Rose because during the first series she is an excellent audience-surrogate - walking around like a curiosity-core going "What's that?" "How does that work?" "What's the Time War?" "What are Daleks?" "What's regeneration?" - which I needed because when I saw the very first episode of the new series in 2005 I had no idea what on earth Doctor Who was. But I'm not looking forward to seeing her in the 50th Anniversary. I excused her return in Series 4 because it gave us the excellent 'Turn Left', and the scene where the Doctor gets shot by the Dalek's whilst running in cheesy slow-motion towards Rose is unintentionally hilarious. Even when I first saw it I burst into cruel laughter (I was a weird 14 year old, as you can tell by my early Brickfilms)

But poll's should never be taken as fact - because people are stupid. Speaking of stupid, I've finally gotten around to seeing 'The Night of the Doctor'.

Its weird that the 50th Anniversary is called 'The Day of the Doctor', but this prequel is called 'Night of the Doctor', but whatever. I wonder if the Christmas special will be called 'Teatime of the Doctor'...

I feel kinda ashamed that its taken me this long to get around to it considering its only almost 7 mins long. I thought it was much longer, so I actually waited until I had a free moment (by 'free moment', I mean a weekend). And, obviously, its not paritcularly great because it has 7 mins to cram in what on earth the 8th Doctor's been doing all this time. It has to establish the Doctor's decision to be a soldier in the same amount of time it takes for a microwave dinner to be ready. So of course its going to be rushed. The only time Doctor Who has worked in short-form was 'The Curse of Fatal Death', which doesn't really count.

But its surprisingly OK. As a crafty method to build hype for the 50th it works. I want to see more of this world, which is good because before I didn't want to see the Time War - the same way I didn't want to see the Clone Wars. So at least this short has sparked my interest and done what it intended to do. 

Paul McGann is great, as usual, and does all he can with the limited screen-time he's been given. Sadly, the rest of the acting is hokey, and the dialogue desperately needs a re-draft - which isn't surprising considering Moffat probably banged this out during a lunch-break. But I was only joking when I said this was stupid. Its not. Its actually quite good, and since its only 7 mins on YouTube its harmless as a piece. Its just that if it wasn't for McGann this could have easily been merely a fan-film.

YouTube
Max, She/They

I feel like it was a wasted opportunity to only make it a 7 minute short. That could easily have been fleshed out into a great 45 minute episode. It was really interesting seeing this really dark time for the Doctor (were people would rather die than let him save them)

EDIT: Oh and I would love to see Ace in The Day of the Doctor

I think I'll jump in with my favorite companions:

1. Ace (How could you not? She beat up a Dalek with a baseball bat!)
2. Sarah and Harry
3. Amy and Rory
4. Donna

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

my favorite companion was jane jetson

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Carousel wrote:

I felt Amy's attitude and especially her stroppy & obnoxious behaviour made her a not particularly likeable character. Part of the attitude was her pouting about the place as if she had the divine right to be there. Ultimately, I just found her character and her portrayal to be nothing special.

You pretty much described Rose there.  At least Amy doesn't appear to be stricken by the dreaded Kristen Stewart Syndrome.

Squid wrote:

...it's so cool that Astrid in an anagram for TARDIS.

http://whinybaby.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/mind-blown.jpg

Sonjira wrote:

Wait a minute, there was a companion who attacked a Dalek with a baseball bat?  And she survived?  AND ROSE IS STILL MORE POPULAR THAN HER?!?!  HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?!

I also watched Night of the Doctor.  I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it did a great job of piquing my interest in the 50th (not that I wasn't going to watch it anyway), but I do agree it would have been nice to have a full episode.  Although, I did think that some of the lines seemed a bit off.  The "four minutes? that's ages" line didn't really fit the 8th Doctor in my opinion.  It would have worked much better for Ten or Eleven, who are much more hyperactive and energetic.  Here, Eight is more slowed-down, with more gravitas, and it doesn't really fit him that well.  It sounds kinda flat when he says it, he doesn't really sound like he thinks he has a lot of time or energy.  I still liked the mini-episode, though; and like others said it was interesting to see him not save everyone's life for once.  Though I must confess, the first time I heard Cass's name, I immediately thought of this (yes, this is the extent to which school has taken over my life...)

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (November 19, 2013 (03:17pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Sonjira wrote:

Wait a minute, there was a companion who attacked a Dalek with a baseball bat?  And she survived?  AND ROSE IS STILL MORE POPULAR THAN HER?!?!  HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?!

Oh yes, it is true.

Ace's run with the 7th Doctor, also the last season of the classic series, is one of my favorites of classic Doctor Who. The only one I think can compete is season 12, which had Harry and Sarah as companions.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I loved Ace, I extremely love Remembrance of the Daleks and Sylvester McCoy is in my top 5 favorite Doctors

New mini-episode out.

Hm, interesting.