Re: THAC 7 Judging -- Live Chat coming soon!

You_p wrote:

I'm really questioning the plausibility here.
Ches: Could you please give me one good reason why our entry isn't in the top 30? (Skeleton Rodeo by T.G-Tom and me)
Because I've watched many entries and some you've nominated are really !@#$. They were so bad that I got tears in my eyes mini/lol
No kidding mini/wink Very strange...

Do you need some weed in exchange for a place in the top 30? mini/tongue haha

Does it really matter? It's not like you would win.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

vik wrote:

...but other who also broke rules weren't.

Which films do you think were violating the rules?
And for those films you list - do you think they were violating them in the same extend or less or even more?

And let's not go over all 71, just the 30 in the pre pre final?

I ask that, because I saw all available ones, and I already discussed the issue about the mod element with Smeagol, and we all think that next THAC will have a more explicit remark about the MOD element.

But other than that, I found nothing that disturbed or offended me in a serious manner, but that is in the eye of the beholder, so if you find something offensive you are entitled to your opinion, and maybe you have spotted something that was missed.

On the other hand, I think the question is "Does it matter?" And the only moment when it indeed matters is when it comes to the final round. And I doubt that the best 15 films will have anything questionable (according to the present rules) in them.

Take my film (THACOSIS), the main actor lies on the bed and whispers "!@#$ !@#$ !@#$" - compared to the curses he could have said, and to what we are used to hear anyway the word "!@#$" is almost outdated, old fashioned. Which is the reason why nobody (or at least I hope nobody) thought of it as inappropriate. And also my character wasn't offending someone. - After I finished THAC I went to the ER because my 2 year old son pinched his finger quite badly, and honestly I was concerned about him loosing his finger. You can imagine that I connect to my son quite a bit. At the same moment you throw a baby out of the window... (I am exaggerating, it happened of cause only in your film). Still in relation to that your film came across as quite sick.

Now when I think about the rest of the movies, the most things that happened were that apples, aliens, monsters, gangsters were shot, and nobody of us belongs into that category. That is most likely the reason why the rest of the films were not disqualified. It is a question of proportions. Still if you find an example as severe as yours. Let's talk about it...

Cheers Arend

Filip wrote:
You_p wrote:

I'm really questioning the plausibility here.
Ches: Could you please give me one good reason why our entry isn't in the top 30? (Skeleton Rodeo by T.G-Tom and me)
Because I've watched many entries and some you've nominated are really !@#$. They were so bad that I got tears in my eyes mini/lol
No kidding mini/wink Very strange...

Do you need some weed in exchange for a place in the top 30? mini/tongue haha

Does it really matter? It's not like you would win.

That's not the point. I really wasn't expecting to win but I was pretty sure that we've made it into at least the top 20.

T.G-Tom wrote:
vik wrote:

Yea, why is myne the only one being disqualified. There were others that broke the rules. And it's not like rape you saw rape or anything. He just made threat " I'm going to rape you " That's all mini/confused  And some say that the noises the woman made looked like she was being raped but it was just her panicing. That guy is not the flash, he can't rape in lightspeed mini/rolleyes

Yeah, I agree, and also.
Almost everybody who I talked with, had to agree that some video's like viks and (ofcourse) mine had to be in the top 30. The one who didn't, judged this whole thing mini/rolleyes .
Maybe a very great tip for the next time:
More judges... I don't care if it's taking a bit longer, now it's a rushed piece of !@#$, with the argue of 1 person.
Oh and Brickcellent, you are just defending Chesire because you ARE in the top 30, and we can calm down ourselves.

No, that's incorrect.
I'm defending Cheshire because he did a great job on his own.
Don't blame your lack of imagination on Cheshire.
I don't care that I'm in the top 30. Of course I'm delighted, but I know I'm not going to win.
It was in the rules. It stated that there would be no sexual content in the film.
I liked Vik's but, rape is clearly a sexual matter.
It doesn't matter about the top 30. Like KG said, you didn't get in. Be quite and move on.
And darkman, I'm not stupid. Your all clearly not calm. Your all blaming everything on Cheshire.
He did a great job, and I'm not just saying that.
Cheshire deserves way more credit.
-Kevin

Last edited by Brickcellent (January 6, 2010 (12:40pm))

ahnt wrote:
vik wrote:

...but other who also broke rules weren't.

Let's talk about it...

Cheers Arend

Indeed we should talk about it, but in PM's. I don't want to get someone else's film in trouble or create more arguments.
And Brickcellent, if you'd watch the entries then you'd see there are people with LESS imagination then T.G-Tom. I don't agee with the top 30, but that's Cheshire's job and we can't do anything about it. And where the hell is Darkman blaming everything on Cheshire mini/confused  ?

Last edited by Pillow (January 6, 2010 (12:07pm))

Brickcellent wrote:

and there goes all your respect points mini/smile

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

I really don't see what all the fuss is - last time I checked, THAC had nothing to do with the prizes and was all about the experience in making a film in 24 hours and all the challenges that came with it.

When I entered, I couldn't care less how I fared in the contest.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Kind of funny. I am currently in two video contests that just finished in which people are complaining and having "heated discussions" about judging and winners. And I hardly ever enter contests...

T.G-Tom wrote:
Brickcellent wrote:

and there goes all your respect points mini/smile

Oh trust me, yours were lost a long time ago.

Vik, I don't just mean just darkman.
Darkman's was awesome. So was yours.
Check out your YouTube comment section.

Tom, you think your bigger than everyone, and more important.
I don't get it. You think your sooo important.
You won't ever help people, instead try and scare them off.
That's why you lost your "respect points" long ago.
Don't argue with me here.
Do it on PM's. mini/smile

The Judges decision is FINAL. Whining about why you didnt get through will lead you NOWHERE. SO DROP IT!

Its not like complaining will suddenly get your movie through. And feedback will be given in the Results Chat. Just listen to yourselves. Its like Youtube....

Could this be locked? I see no need for discussion anymore.

-MRB

YouTube
Max, She/They

People...do you really care about the number near to your entry? Please, stop posting about "why my entry isn't in the top 30". It's 30 out of 71, you had less than 50% of possibilities on entering that list. This contest is about fun, is a challenge on making a brickfilm in 24 hours or less, not about winning prizes or being in the top 10. I have to agree with brickcellent, tom, I'm sorry, but it's true. Remember the release forum? How many pages on that low quality film just to say that it's bloody awful? You're not better than anybody and not worse than anybody.
Vik, never mind if your entry was disqualified, there are really few people that can make a good black humour film, and even less that can make it in 24 hours. But nobody can beat you. You should be really happy with your entry and what came out. Same for T-G.tom, your entry was awesome, you should just be happy for that.

You're right. And I'm better at making movies without time-pressure mini/tongue

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

I will say that I haven't personally had a chance to watch all the entries yet.  But I have found some others that are questionable in terms of the content guidelines since this top 30 was put together and got through -- vik's, being about rape, was the only blatantly obvious one I saw, and yes, I did check it right off the bat because of the track record of his other films, whereas I wasn't on the lookout for offensive content from some other people.

I'm sure some people who didn't make it in the top 30 feel they deserved otherwise, but to be honest it's very tough to differentiate levels of mediocrity, especially for one person when we want to get results going fairly quickly.  Last time on THAC 6 after the judging was delayed a long time by whoever was in charge, I took over the judging process and got it done in a couple weeks and we just used a small group of finalists and judged those because it was the fastest way to determine winners.  The winners are clearly going to make the top 15 on anybody's book.  People were satisfied by the results but complained that their entries didn't get any listing.  I thought people would rather not know if they got 67th place but apparently this isn't the case.  Still though, Cheshire wanted to have complete results for this year, which I agree is a plus, even if some people will complain about the extra effort we've made this time and would rather have their films ignored.

Sorry to those people, I did anticipate complaints, but I'm hoping we get less complaints this way than we do if we run it like every other large video contest I've ever seen, in which there is a small group of finalists and everybody else is left out in the cold.  That is the alternative -- even if we were to have multiple judges on this stage, it's too tough to distinguish which okay entry is better than another okay entry, so there would always be some disagreements on just how good an entry that clearly isn't one of the best is.  Even if an entry was top 20 material, in a contest that isn't really about the prizes it feels like a small distinction to me.  Top 20 isn't close to top 3, and from an award standpoint the top 3 is all we're really looking at.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

We agree with Smeagol (and Vik) that there are other entries that have questionable content and should not, in our opinion, have made the top thirty.  However, this issue is much bigger than any contest.

Something to think about…

How we dress, who we hang out with, the books we read, etc. - including the films we create are a reflection of who we are and what we believe in/stand for.  If we produce films that portray “dark” situations, or curse, or purposely offend to get a laugh, then we should expect to be criticized and even have our films avoided.  That is the choice one makes when delving into such material.

Secondly, unfortunately, this choice impacts your ability to share your talents with others.  You will be disqualified from any reputable competition, and if you aren’t, parents will not allow their children to watch your films.  There are many up-and-coming “brick filmers” who could benefit from your skill if you chose more family-friendly material.  After all, Lego bricks are marketed to children.  Choosing to use them as your objects of animation carries with it some responsibility. 

Thirdly, films containing offensive material can negatively impact this site.  Some may choose to avoid it entirely after stumbling across an offending film, and that would hurt all of us. This competition has certainly opened our family’s eyes to the “darker” side of Lego animation, and we are going to be much more diligent about which films and whose films we watch.  Perhaps those who do produce such films and don’t wish to change would most benefit by creating their own site specifically for all those animators who prefer “dark” or offensive material.  Then this kind of debate and upset will become less necessary.

Last edited by BuilderBrothers (January 6, 2010 (05:28pm))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BuilderBrothers/signatures/thac14sig.png

*Claps*

Sméagol wrote:

but to be honest it's very tough to differentiate levels of mediocrity

pwned

Builderbrothers made some excellent points. In Australia we recently had some controversy regarding a comedy TV show where they made jokes of kids with cancer.
A moral line needs to be drawn and BiM have been upfront in promoting family values.
Considering the Lego medium and it’s kids/toy relationship that is a good idea.

I doubt VIK would make find this topic funny if he had any exposure to it directly. Like someone he knew (Mother, Sister, Girlfriend). The one point most here have missed is rape is an act of violence not sex.

You can’t have manslaughter without the laughter!

This conversation is really competitive! I don't think that wining about the results is going to change them though.

I want to make a movie. (Duh)

Of course it won't. Once someone makes up their mind, they usually stay with that thought unless they they ponder over that kind of stuff for a while. I do agree with BuilderBrothers though, although no one really thinks of this, there is a "dark side" to everything, including Brickfilms.

I think (just look at the huge argument in the Mr. Depressing entry by filmyguy) that it's not actually what happens when something is made like that, it's the thought behind it. I think someone said something like "but it's only peices of plastic being replaced with red bricks.", but it's the thought of the dog getting run over as a crude form of animal cruelty that I see it as. Just imagine if you were a little kid and your dog got run over, and you were forced to see it.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

BGanimations wrote:

Just imagine if you were a little kid and your dog got run over, and you were forced to see it.

My god, I never thought of it that way. mini/eek

Yes, now you see my point after all those posts in your thread.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png