Topic: Help!

Hi!I've been watching lego stop motion videos for a while now and love legos, so i decided i want to try to make my own.I need quite a bit of help though.Anyone help me with stuff like...well....basically,all of it!I have no idea what i'm getting into,but i really want to try! mini/mrgreen

~RaCeRjK~

Re: Help!

Hey, racerjk!

Welcome to BiM.
It's really hard to know what to start out with. Is there anything that you want to learn specifically?

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Welcome, racerjk!
The best way to get started is to read through the forums and use the search box for questions you may have. There's a lot of goo stuff around if you take the time to look. mini/smile
- Aaron

Well,i was wondering a couple of things like-

What kind of camera should i use?

How would i put everything together?

How do you make animations smooth?

Right now i'm just practicing wif my phone,but i might get a digital camera for x-mas.

~RaCeRjK~

racerjk wrote:

What kind of camera should i use?

First of all, you probably want a webcam. Webcams are cameras that hook up to your computer.
Here's one that most brickfilmers use, and is very good. I use it, myself. Here is the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 at Amazon.

racerjk wrote:

How would i put everything together?

You would use a stop-motion animation program, like MonkeyJam.

racerjk wrote:

How do you make animations smooth?

As soon as you learn how to animate, you will learn how to make your animation look smoother by technuiqes you learn, etc.

racerjk wrote:

Right now i'm just practicing wif my phone,but i might get a digital camera for x-mas.

Don't get a digital camera, it will be harder to start out with. Get a Webcam, as I've said.

As soon as you understand how to do all this, post more questions, and we can help you. mini/smile

Hope this helps! mini/smile

-JK

Last edited by Just Kidden (December 13, 2009 (06:11pm))

Thank's,this helps alot!Just one thing.I'm kinda on a tight budget....any cheaper web cams that would work?

~RaCeRjK~

Well, there is one called the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. Which is here on ebay. It used to be the best Webcam around until the 9000 showed up.
And remember, as soon as you figure out all that stuff, post more questions. mini/smile
-JK

Last edited by Just Kidden (December 13, 2009 (06:14pm))

Well as everyone else has said welcome(I am sort of new here too)

racerjk wrote:
How do you make animations smooth

well my advice is to start out slow with a half a second frame rate(picture per second) once you get familiar with it gradually get faster and faster fps(Frames per second) until you feel comftorable with it. Brickfilming is hard and requires patience but pays off in the end.
Good luck

michaelsmovies wrote:

racerjk wrote:

well my advice is to start out slow with a half a second frame rate(picture per second) once you get familiar with it gradually get faster and faster fps(Frames per second) until you feel comftorable with it. Brickfilming is hard and requires patience but pays off in the end.
Good luck

I would start with 1 FPS. Start at around 12 FPS and, work yourself up to around 15 FPS.

Persist.

magicoflego wrote:
michaelsmovies wrote:

racerjk wrote:

Good luck

I would start with 1 FPS. Start at around 12 FPS and, work yourself up to around 15 FPS.

I wrote 2 fps because I started with it. but the descision is up to you. Also for software if you have a mac you have Imovie ( mabye Istopmotion but I don't have a mac) if you have a PC then you have Windows Movie Maker

Right now i'm just trying to gather info before i start..(considering i dont have a camera yet) but thank you guys so much!I never though i'd have this many responses 5 minutes after i asked!This is a really good community!

~RaCeRjK~

Yes it is. Welcome to the Internet. Anyway I don't wan't to sound mean but I wan't to give you a heads up. You just double posted. You probably did it on accident but if your new don't double post. I got a ton of posts saying not to double post and things like that. I don't know if people will do that to you but try to keep it on minimum(I am trying to be friendly:) )

First, welcome to BiM!

Actually, I would start on 15fps. Otherwise you never get used to and higher than 15 at the maximum. I started at 15fps, and even though it wasn't the smoothest, it still looked way better than 12fps. Just make a few 5 or 10 or 15 second long test with the goal on improving, and you'll go far.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

Welcome to Bricksinmotion.com! Have fun

racerjk wrote:

Hi! I've been watching Brickfilms for a while now and love LEGO Toys, so I decided I want to try to make my own. I need quite a bit of help though. Can anyone help me with stuff like...well...basically, all of it? I have no idea what I'm getting into, but i really want to try! mini/mrgreen

WORK ON YOUR GRAMMAR BOI mini/wink

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

michaelsmovies wrote:

Yes it is. Welcome to the Internet.

Sorry.I know what the internet is,it's just really hard to come by a forum community with people this nice.

~RaCeRjK~

Just Kidden wrote:

Well, there is one called the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. Which is here on ebay. It used to be the best Webcam around until the 9000 showed up.
And remember, as soon as you figure out all that stuff, post more questions. mini/smile
-JK

dead link

Hey welcome to BiM mini/smile.

I was looking at NXT's site the other day and it has some really helpful information for new animators mini/smile. Check it out here.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter

Welcome to BricksinMotion.com.
You might read this first ''BertL's guide, to a beginner Brickfilmer''. Edit: Where did my Link go..?
Anyway, For good webcams, I would reccoment something from Logitech, Canon or Sony.
Logitech makes Great Webcams with Great softwares.
Canon, Makes Great Digitax's.
And Sony has a lot of Great Editings softwares, and Webcams too.
I would actually suggest starting at 15Fps, by Downloading MonkeyJam.
You'll get a better start, You just need to 'Ease in, Ease out'. (Fancypants from these forums made a Great tutorial.)
Again, Welcome to the Forums.
-Jack.

Welcome to BricksinMotion.

First the type of camera you should use is a webcam. Many brickfilmers use webcams. How to put them together.
Well you should use a frame capturing software such as MonkeyJam, Helium Frog or Stop Motion Pro (Stop Motion Pro isn't free if your wondering but the rest are.) If you string your pictures together in
Windows Movie Maker your animation will seem choppy and you will only be able to get up to 8fps.
To answer your question how to make your animation smooth it will come to you. Just practice, pratice and
practice.

And if I could recomend any webcams to you I would say either get the Logitech Quickam Pro 9000 or the Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000. The 4000 is cheeper btw.

HomerBall.

racerjk wrote:
michaelsmovies wrote:

Yes it is. Welcome to the Internet.

Sorry.I know what the internet is,it's just really hard to come by a forum community with people this nice.

When I said that I was joking around. I know you know what the internet is, but I'm just saying the Internet is a big place withe millions of visitors each day. Sorry if you didn't get it. But yeah, people are very nice here from what I've seen so far. The only problem is I guess you have to earn credibility by being here a long time. That is my guess.

@Homerball I use WMM and it gets up to 16 fps if you use effects and speed it up x2.

Last edited by Interbrick (December 14, 2009 (03:26pm))