Topic: The Film Scoring challenge!

The Film Scoring Challenge

The Rules:

-The host/judge/previous contest winner will select a film, theme, style or composer that they wish the contest entrants to compose to.
-The the score has to be at least 30 seconds long and no longer that 5 minutes.
-The host will judge the entries and select a winner who will host the next challenge; and so on.
-The challenge will be held around every week and monthly contests will be held on certain occasions.
-The deadline to each challenge should be dated a week after the beginning of the challenge; this gives you 7 days to make an entry.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Challenges Winners
-Action sequence - Dyland - Rooftop Boxing
-Paul.J.Smith - JohnDthunDer

Best of luck to you all! If you have any questions, feel free to ask or pm me.

Last edited by megagill74 (October 14, 2015 (01:04pm))

- Available to compose for any upcoming projects -

Re: The Film Scoring challenge!

Can we use a piece from a film that hasn't been released yet? (I just wrote one, that I think works for an action sequence, even though it's not an action scene in the film)

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

If it would be easier for you do so, then ok. But starting next week, the music for the challenge will have to be original and made within the set time period of the competition.
Good Luck

Rooftop Boxing

A relatively short piece I wrote this week - I wanted it to reflect the sort of fast paced, short rooftop fights that are often seen in action movies - usually during a rainy night. You know, the scenes that show the silhouettes of the fighters against the bright neon lights of the close-up city skyline! mini/sunnies

Otherwise, the piece really speaks for itself. It starts out slow - perhaps complimenting two fighters staring each other down. Then, the tension rises as the synths start to kick in. Around the 45 second mark, the action kicks up to it's highest point - a climax. By the 1 minute, 5 second mark, a fighter has pulled out ahead. However the tension never truly dulls. Perhaps the beaten foe runs away, ashamed, ending the battle - but not the war.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I have a question, I don't really know how to  do the keyboard thing very well with my computer, but can I enter by just making a song by mixing all the sound loops I have? My sound loops came with the program so I was just wondering If I could enter by using them.

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.

Ok, that's fine. All these exceptions will only take place this week and should be dealt with by next week. If you are still having problems by next week, all of you feel free to contact me and ask me any questions.

One day left!!! Good luck to you all!!!

I created something rather basic and loopy. Ran out of time to record a melody with how late it got so I just didn't!
No VSTs no synths. Three variants. 
For when the action is ramping up and something is looming near.

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

So here is my entry... while it is actually a track for a new Rioforce film, I designed it to sound like an "Action sequence." The setting is an old western silent-film. There is a gunfight on a moving train. WOOT WOOT!

https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson/undenial-ost

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

Times up!!!
Well done and thank you to everyone who entered, without you there'd be no competition.
Results will be out during this week, preferably tomorrow.

Am I too late to enter the challenge? mini/sad

Technically, the 5th isn't over yet, so I'd think that if you got it done by tonight, it'd be ok. (That's just my opinion, of course, it's up to megagil)

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

And the winner is Dyland
He painted a picture of a certain scene and I could clearly see that through the short track he composed.
He will be the next host, so I will now leave to him to decide the next theme.
Well done and thank you to all the people who entered this challenge.

Good job Dyland! Can't wait to see what you come up with...

I would like to make a suggestion for future reference:
I think that future "Themes" should be more specific. Just asking for an action sequence yielded some pretty vague results, from a boxing match on the roof to a train-car shootout. While that was fine for our first run, I think that such varying results are too hard to judge comparatively. A certain amount of specificity would be preferred for future themes. Seem reasonable?

Yep, I thought about that. Scoring to actual films will start this week and should follow the rules as stated in the first post.

I’d like to thank all of the other composers that entered.

Cartoonkid98 – Your were very ambitious in your composition. I especially liked the fact that you didn’t use any VST’s or synths. The realistic sound of the instruments really highlighted your piece, and, it was refreshing to hear that realism translate into your music.

If I Were A Minifig – Your piece, a throwback to the classic western bar fights, was comical and upbeat. Certainly a lighter piece, it’s astonishing to realize what you were able to accomplish with as little instruments that I could hear in the piece – a perfect example of how less can really do more!

Rafael9522, Raptor Studios, Megagill74 and all others - I’d really love to hear what you might bring to the plate with this new theme!

I liked hearing the pieces people made for this.  This seems like a fun idea, if I can find the time I'd like to enter the next one.

Following along with the guidelines originally set for the Animation Challenge:

Nathan Wells wrote:

Each Wednesday, the winner from the previous challenge becomes the host and will post a new theme... The deadline for submitting your entry is the Monday following the challenge. This gives you 5 days to make an entry.

I'll go ahead and post the new theme for the Film Scoring Challenge today! mini/smile

Alright, for this week, I would like you to compose in the style of Paul J. Smith! A long time Disney collaborator, he provided many classic scores to films such as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!

As with last time, a short description will be needed to explain the story, motive or particular hit points. If you want to "rewrite" the theme to one of the two films listed above, go right ahead! The winner of this contest will then continue with:

The Rules:
-The host/judge/previous contest winner will select a film, theme, style or composer that they wish the contest entrants to compose to.
-The the score has to be at least 30 seconds long and no longer that 5 minutes.
-The host will judge the entries and select a winner who will host the next challenge; and so on.
-The challenge will be held weekly and monthly contests will be held on certain occasions.

The deadline for your Paul J. Smith inspired piece will be "12th October"

Best of luck, and have fun! mini/smile

I don't know how to use my program that well at all with my piano and lets just say I haven't had almost any experience with the piano. So can I use my short sound loops of instruments that came with the program to compose something for this contest. I would mainly want to get better at mixing my instrument loops to make music for my own film's so I was wondering if I could do that for this. I don't know how everyone else makes music, or if they play instruments or use sound loops. So just wondering, hope this makes sense.

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.

rafael9522 wrote:

I don't know how to use my program that well at all... I use my short sound loops of instruments that came with the program to compose something for this contest. I would mainly want to get better at mixing my instrument loops to make music for my own film's so I was wondering if I could do that for this.

I say go for it, rafael9522! I'd rather see you enter, than not.

Besides, while you're working with learning your piano-program compatibility, having some extra practice in mixing sound loops can only help you as a composer - and, will make mastering songs much easier in the future. mini/smile

Just remember, the deadline for the current theme is 12th October!

Here is my entry: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh6r6qpi9wrs3 … e.MP3?dl=0
Just open so you can listen, so you don't have to download it.
I listened to the song from Snow White movie and noticed that I had some of the instruments in my library of instruments. So I took my inspiration from that song and used vocals, violins, harps, a little of drums that came with my library.
I tried to implement the same kind of vocals as the songs in Snow white and violins but I wasn't that happy with the result because it didn't sound that near the song I was going off. Well I hope you like it, thanks for letting me enter Dyland!