Re: The BiM Film Directory is now open!

Again, these films aren't being "rejected," they're in the directory but we're not recommending them to the public, so they're not going to show up on the listing by default.  They're fully searchable, for example if someone wants to see a brickfilm about Boba Fett, all they need to do is search 'Boba Fett.'  Or a user could search "Star Wars," in which case that movie will also show up in the results.  People who aren't looking for Star Wars-themed brickfilms are not likely to enjoy it anyway.  The standard for recommendation is probably a little higher than the standard for acceptance ever was at Brickfilms, but Brickfilms rejected about 80% of the submissions.  I never liked that system, because I think it's better to have a larger, more complete directory of films.

Regarding the 'fan favorites,' technical quality is not the only consideration for acceptance.  If I enjoy a film submitted, or think it's highly likely that most people would enjoy it, I'll make it public, regardless of technical quality.  The opposite is also true, for example Sam and Stinky Get a Kitchen is of relatively high technical quality, but (sorry, Hazzat) I didn't enjoy it at all and couldn't find a reason to recommend it.  I specifically posted about that film in the review panel forum because it was so borderline for me, I couldn't really write a review recommending it since I didn't like it, but I made it clear that if anybody on the panel liked it they're free to review it and make it public.  If a film is a classic for some reason it'll probably be admitted, though generally we are aiming for films that most users would enjoy, not films that only a handful of people like due to an inside joke.  If somebody visits the site, clicks the first film on the list, watches it, and is bored out of his or her mind, it doesn't make a good impression about the site as a whole and this person may not come back.

-Sméagol

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Ah, I was wondering why it was taking so long to get reviewed. mini/wink Though I totally agree with you.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Sméagol wrote:

Brickfilms rejected about 80% of the submissions

Hmm. I wouldn't say it was that high. And, just so I get it, a film isn't viewable in the directory until a reviewer either reviews and adds it or accepts it as being OK but not to show up in the listings... Right? mini/smile

rstudios.co.uk - Brand New Website Up And Running!
Experiencing problems with Rstudios.co.uk? Tell me HERE.

Sméagol wrote:

Again, these films aren't being "rejected," they're in the directory but we're not recommending them to the public, so they're not going to show up on the listing by default.  They're fully searchable, for example if someone wants to see a brickfilm about Boba Fett, all they need to do is search 'Boba Fett.'  Or a user could search "Star Wars," in which case that movie will also show up in the results.  People who aren't looking for Star Wars-themed brickfilms are not likely to enjoy it anyway.  The standard for recommendation is probably a little higher than the standard for acceptance ever was at Brickfilms, but Brickfilms rejected about 80% of the submissions.  I never liked that system, because I think it's better to have a larger, more complete directory of films.

Regarding the 'fan favorites,' technical quality is not the only consideration for acceptance.  If I enjoy a film submitted, or think it's highly likely that most people would enjoy it, I'll make it public, regardless of technical quality.  The opposite is also true, for example Sam and Stinky Get a Kitchen is of relatively high technical quality, but (sorry, Hazzat) I didn't enjoy it at all and couldn't find a reason to recommend it.  I specifically posted about that film in the review panel forum because it was so borderline for me, I couldn't really write a review recommending it since I didn't like it, but I made it clear that if anybody on the panel liked it they're free to review it and make it public.  If a film is a classic for some reason it'll probably be admitted, though generally we are aiming for films that most users would enjoy, not films that only a handful of people like due to an inside joke.  If somebody visits the site, clicks the first film on the list, watches it, and is bored out of his or her mind, it doesn't make a good impression about the site as a whole and this person may not come back.

-Sméagol

On brickfilms I have no doubt a movie like "boba fett" would have gotten in. Most of the movies rejected on brickfilms were total garbage... The movies you are rejecting have considerably more merit...

I think the recommendation system is flawed... If you are already recommending movies to the public with "standard" then what is the point of the staff favorites? It seems you are already pretty selective...

But WHO, I mean WHO would be bored while watching Sam and Stinky???

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

brian wrote:

On brickfilms I have no doubt a movie like "boba fett" would have gotten in. Most of the movies rejected on brickfilms were total garbage... The movies you are rejecting have considerably more merit...

I think the recommendation system is flawed... If you are already recommending movies to the public with "standard" then what is the point of the staff favorites? It seems you are already pretty selective...

Boba Fett was not reject. we have rejected VERY FEW movies, if the reviewer cannot write a positive review about a film it is not visible by default, if someone wanted to find a Star Wars film and searched for Star Wars they would find it.  Why should films that reviewers can't comment positively about be reviewed, aren't people less likely to watch a film with a negative review then one without a review at all?

To clear up some of the confusion of what is and is not rejected or part of the directory I have removed the ability to view pages of films which have not been rated by the staff.  So if you can access the film it has been ACCEPTED.

Films which are unrated will now show a message like this:
http://www.bricksinmotion.com/images/sloth_uploads/Film_not_reviewed.png

Not mine

brian wrote:

You guys are rejecting too many significant movies. I'll use Boba Fett as an example, the movie is pretty long, features decent animation, is very watchable etc... On brickfilms I have no doubt a movie like "boba fett" would have gotten in.

Boba Fett DID get in, as Sloth pointed out. I made the call to not place it on the Recommended list for a number of reasons: first off, length has nothing to do with whether or not a film is any good. Boba Fett had a poorly written story; it was nothing but the titular character wandering from room to room somewhere (we have no idea where) doing something (we have no idea what) running into random characters from the Star Wars universe (we have no idea why). The animation was decent, but would you want to watch a wonderful animation of a kid dribbling a basketball for five minutes? The lightsaber blades were well done, but the laser blasts weren't. All voices were either ripped from the original movies or poorly recorded by the same pre-pubescent voice, and this fact was not played for humor like Forrestfire does. Perhaps you found it "very watchable," but I didn't.

The Staff Favorite films are the best of the best, the Recommended films are above average films that are enjoyable to a wide range of viewers, but any film that isn't flat-out terrible is going to be accepted. I'm pretty sure the number of films that have been rejected can be counted on one hand, and I haven't rejected any myself.

Oh, and for the record, I have NEVER been in contact with ANY of the other review panel members directly, instead knowing them only through the forums. So the insinuation that I (or any of the others) got the job merely because I'm a friend of the right person is, to be honest, a little insulting.

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

Sméagol wrote:

Regarding your film, jimmybob: I thought the concept was nice, and the story appropriately campy, but I didn't think the film as a whole worked very well; in particular, I felt the contemporary choices of music were completely mismatched to the old B&W style of the film, killing the 40s b-movie atmosphere.  It's pretty good for a THAC entry but the time limit constraint shows in the animation and storytelling, I don't take the time constraint into consideration when rating the film since the directory has a different standard than THAC.

I hate you Smeagol. I hate you hard! You think you're mister big buster with the special hat, you know what, you're a LOOSER! You don't know a thing about brickfilm why don't you go back to the womb, freakish devil of time! Who do you think you are to say these things!?

mini/mrgreen gotcha.

Yeah I agree with you. groovy bad arse elements are not on the scale. mini/tongue

-Jimmybob

Last edited by jimmybob (May 17, 2009 (05:02pm))

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.
[email protected]

you can now rate films from inside the forums as well as see a thumbnail of the film mini/smile more plans for this.

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/images/sloth_uploads/forumrating.png

You need better reviewers if they cannot make a positive comment about a film they accept. Plenty of brickfilms are not enjoyable - but you can at least praise technical merits.

You really need to change the name "standard" to "recommended"... or explain it in an obvious location... Unless you view this thread it doesn't make sense.

brian wrote:

On brickfilms I have no doubt a movie like "boba fett" would have gotten in.

I agree, as I said the standard to be a recommended film on BiM is slightly higher here than the standard to be accepted was at brickfilms.  But it wasn't rejected.  If somebody wants to see Star Wars films, they can search "Star Wars" in the search bar and 'boba fett' is one of the results.  Having films like that on the front page would not be putting our best foot forward so IMO it is quite reasonable to make it easily searchable or, optionally, viewable on the listing page.  On the whole I would say this system is actually more accepting than the old Brickfilms system because we only reject a very small portion of submissions.

Most of the movies rejected on brickfilms were total garbage... The movies you are rejecting have considerably more merit...

I don't agree with this, I was on the panel for years so I know that we did reject boring/unentertaining videos that were relatively well made from time to time.  I didn't review nearly as many movies as I rejected, and sometimes I would not review a film that didn't need to be rejected so as to leave it for somebody better at writing reviews, so not everyone on the panel back then would have the same idea of how many films were rejected.

If you are already recommending movies to the public with "standard" then what is the point of the staff favorites? It seems you are already pretty selective...

As I said I would like to reword "standard," but the idea is that these are some of the best, with the staff favorites being the best of the best, or just personal favorites, for example Weirdears' 'Gold' could be a favorite even though it's not well made.  We've got 64 movies reviewed in the directory, and 7 of them are staff favorites.  That's a pretty big difference.

edit: seems Brian made a post while I was writing this.  Yes, changing 'standard' to 'recommended' was what I had in mind, hopefully that will be changed soon.

brian wrote:

You really need to change the name "standard" to "recommended"... or explain it in an obvious location... Unless you view this thread it doesn't make sense.

OK we have changed the wording from standard to recommended.

Like the thumbnail/rating inside the forum option, and the wording change from Standard to Recommended. Thanks.

Just to further emphasize that second issue, perhaps we could also change the default setting on the Films page to show All Films instead of just the Recommended ones. The front page would still show only Recommended films. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Noodle (May 17, 2009 (06:33pm))

Sounds good. The average viewer would just click Films and view away and not be able to see some pretty good stuff that wasn't recommended.

-Jimmybob

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.
[email protected]

I don't like that idea, personally.  People are likely to click 'films' if they want to see films.  If the default, labeled "All Films" is visible they probably won't even mess with it, if it says "Recommended," they'll know they're not seeing everything and may more readily look to see what the options are if they're interested in that.  The standards are low for acceptance so I'd rather not have everything that gets in publicized on the main films page.

This is what I was afraid of:

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/films/view/138/

On brickfilms there was a problem with a bunch of friends oking eachothers movies or whatever else was a "dictionary" movie..

This is way worse... A movie less than 10 seconds long with barely any animation is "Recommended"? What kind of a message does that send to the director of "Boba Fett"? I found Boba Fett to be 100x more entertaining than "Maladriot". No offense Simon - but I do not think shorts like this deserve a place in the directory when longer movies don't get in.

brian wrote:

I do not think shorts like this deserve a place in the directory when longer movies don't get in.

Would you still be arguing this point if the films in question were a Pixar short and Mac & Me? Longer running time does not equal better film.

brian wrote:

On brickfilms there was a problem with a bunch of friends oking eachothers movies

Aside from one line he recorded for a live-action project of mine, I have never been in contact with Simon. I did not "ok" a movie simply because it was by a "friend." I added a film that I thought was one of the better examples of the biggest brickfilm series to date, for the sake of history as much as for the film's quality itself. I can assure you that I won't be accepting every dictionary film that shows up in the queue, and lousy installments will be graded just as harshly as lousy non-dictionary films.

Last edited by Noodle (May 19, 2009 (12:14am))

Though it is a little borderline from a technical standpoint, I thought 'maladroit' was a pretty decent example of what the 'dictionary' series is about, and at 13 seconds it's certainly less likely to bore people than a longer film, even if the quality is similar.  I wouldn't say Simon is 'friends' with the panel, in fact he has been known to antagonize the staff from time to time (see the logo redesign thread for a recent example) so that kind of characterization is simply untrue.  I really do want to keep discussion as relatively free and open as possible, but repeatedly making untrue accusations about the staff is crossing the line.

Btw, length is not a consideration for acceptance into the directory.  However, if a movie is 4 minutes long, it does provide the director with a greater challenge to keep the viewer's attention than a 13 second movie.  Not all dictionary movies are automatically recommended by the panel, for example BertL's Harbinger did not make the cut.  (Main reason: It was difficult to understand how the film was explaining the word)

Sméagol wrote:

Though it is a little borderline from a technical standpoint, I thought 'maladroit' was a pretty decent example of what the 'dictionary' series is about, and at 13 seconds it's certainly less likely to bore people than a longer film, even if the quality is similar.  I wouldn't say Simon is 'friends' with the panel, in fact he has been known to antagonize the staff from time to time (see the logo redesign thread for a recent example) so that kind of characterization is simply untrue.  I really do want to keep discussion as relatively free and open as possible, but repeatedly making untrue accusations about the staff is crossing the line.

Btw, length is not a consideration for acceptance into the directory.  However, if a movie is 4 minutes long, it does provide the director with a greater challenge to keep the viewer's attention than a 13 second movie.  Not all dictionary movies are automatically recommended by the panel, for example BertL's Harbinger did not make the cut.  (Main reason: It was difficult to understand how the film was explaining the word)

Wait? The dictionary series gets preferential treatment? It has its own standards for directory admission?