Re: The BiM Film Directory is now open!

Most likely it was rejected for being very short / of low quality.  You should have received an email explaining this.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

boe!!!! "The Über THAC Idea" Idea got a bad review mini/madhead

at least have it on the Standard page mini/sad .

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

Josh Parris wrote:

Hey, the hyperlinks for Cast & Crew point off to forum member profiles - but forum member profiles don't point anywhere else,  You can't find all of BertL's films, for example.

I've only submitted three films to the directory/forums so far. mini/wink

Because i submitted one about four days ago, and it hasn't been reviewed.
I don't want to sound impatient, but i'm not sure if i've made an error, or they didn't accept it, because i haven't got any emails either...

So any ideas?

Go to the feedback forum.

Stop being impatient.

Mine has been in there since the day it opened and it hasn't been reviewed yet.

There are alot of submissions going in atm so it will take time.

It is also exam period atm so the reviewers will be busy.

Could anyone who has submitted a film that already has a discussion thread link the thread to their film please?  This can be done in the control panel.  It will make it easier for people to browser films and then discuss them.  Thanks.

There's a huge backlog of films right now. Like, 100+ of them.

You'll get notified when it gets accepted/rejected.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I checked just now and it's 128 films.

_2014

I'm not sure where you're getting that figure from, but we've processed 96 submissions so far (including a few rejections) and there are 85 in the queue waiting to be processed.

I looked at Rsteen's and the link said 60 and thought that was the latest, False alarm.

_2014

Is there a way to see who gave you your ratings? I never got a text review, just some poop ratings, and I just want to ask the reviewer why they thought these things?

-Jimmybob

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.
[email protected]

Some reviews are taken to personel.

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

I didn't get any review. Just some numbers telling that Robot Invasion is below the standard? ... It's got a 4/5 brick rating, to be standard is 3/5 right? I don't get it. I got a 4/10 and a 4/5.

-Jimmybob

Last edited by jimmybob (May 15, 2009 (02:55pm))

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.
[email protected]

The user rating there has had three people rate it so far, and any user can contribute to that rating.  So it's not an accurate reflection of the review panel's opinion of the film.  After the reviewer (myself, I will explain my ratings later in the post) gave the film 2/5, two other users gave it 5/5.

The way I see it is that if a film is rejected, an explanation is in order, but beyond that it's just an honor to get into the reviewers' picks and normal not to get into the listing.  The wording 'standard' isn't ideal given these are actually supposed to be some of the best and hopefully that can be changed at some point.  So the way I'm looking at it, there shouldn't be a need to explain why a film wasn't honored, just as you wouldn't provide an explanation of why all the entries in a contest, other than the winners, didn't win.

The plan is to eventually integrate the directory and films forum a little more fully, so hopefully people will access these 'hidden' films via searches and the forum, meaning they won't be as invisible as they are now; right now, it does seem more like a rejection that it's supposed to.

We haven't been terribly consistent on this policy so far; I told the reviewers they could review films that aren't honored if they want to, but that it wasn't necessary.  To my knowledge, TheNoodle26 is the only reviewer who has been doing this, because he felt obligated to justify his ratings, etc.  I can see why it might be desirable to make this the norm, but at the same time I don't think it's very nice to have an official, negative review in the directory for all the films that don't make the cut to be reviewers' picks, initially I thought it'd be more merciful to just rate the film and allow people to post negative critiques in the film's discussion thread as we've done in the past.  I'm open to changing the policy on this though, the panel has been discussing it.

Regarding your film, jimmybob: I thought the concept was nice, and the story appropriately campy, but I didn't think the film as a whole worked very well; in particular, I felt the contemporary choices of music were completely mismatched to the old B&W style of the film, killing the 40s b-movie atmosphere.  It's pretty good for a THAC entry but the time limit constraint shows in the animation and storytelling, I don't take the time constraint into consideration when rating the film since the directory has a different standard than THAC.

Just copy pasting what I said in IRC, maybe some people could add ideas to this one or come up with something better:

<MickyBrickEyes>    Anyway, as for giving it or not giving it a review, I think it would be best to add another option to the 'submit film info list' where you can chose whether or not you want your film to be reviewed if it doesn't get honored. If people pick yes then they should know that they could get a bad review and honored films should get priority over non-honored movies when there's a waiting list for reviews.

@micky.brick.eyes An interesting idea; however, I don't know how many people would actually opt for that. Unfortunately, I get the impression a lot of films are submitted by creators with exaggerated impressions of how good their work is.

@all of you impatient people who keep asking "hey when is MY film going to be reviewed?" There's about 70 other people wondering the same thing. We're doing our best.

Last edited by Noodle (May 15, 2009 (09:21pm))

With all due respect Noodle, I don't want you here. - Ratboy Productions

I think the review panel should be diversified. It just seems someone just picked all their buddies to be on the review panel. On brickfilms the review panel was much more diverse (especially with more adults).....

We selected people from the applications we received, based on the quality of the review they submitted, also general conduct and reviews they've posted in the past were a consideration.  I have corresponded with most of the panel members enough in the past to know they're mature, trustworthy, and most importantly competent writers.  I didn't personally know High Tower or TheNoodle26 at all prior to admitting them to the panel, except by their posts in the forums of course.  I would like to have more adults on the panel in the future but, by nature of being adults, most of them don't have enough time to contribute on a regular basis.

As it stands, I think we should have enough reviewers for the time being, in a couple months I might evaluate and weed out any who haven't contributed, at which point I'd probably look for some replacements.

You guys are rejecting too many significant movies. I'll use Boba Fett as an example, the movie is pretty long, features decent animation, is very watchable etc...

The directory should not be a place to keep only the best of the best brickfilms... If a movie like "Boba Fett" gets rejected many former fan favorites like a trip to alphen, chase of horror and gold would also be rejected... I always though of the directory as a place to document films that someone might want to watch...

I've never heard of the films you've mentioned.

I think more often than not, someone is not going to know what they want to watch, and wants to watch something worth watching.