Topic: Star wars - Life of a Clone Trooper (First half)

Directory Link

Life of a Clone Trooper (First half)

Youtube

Hey there guys!

My long anticipated film, life of a clone trooper is finally ready to be released.

Firstly, I'd like to address that this isn't the full episode realisticly there it was to be around 7-8 minutes long (Including credits and narration). However due to work/study and personal stuff I have had to cut back on animating due to it here is the shorter released version.

I do hope none the less you guys enjoy it a lot of work was put into this and it's my longest brick film I've done yet, there was all sorts of problems and challenges I had while shooting this film, lip syncing, vfx moving camera and long hours of work!

FUN FACTS:
#Just over 2800 photos were shot in the production of this film.
#Film was filmed at 15 Fps
#Over 30 hours of work was put into this. (this includes #Post/vfx/sound editing/voicing/animating).
#My longest and most challenging film to date.
#I will come back and finish this episode off one day.
#Scripts have been written for up to 5 more episodes all ranging from 5-7 minutes in length!

A special thanks to all the voice actors!
And a massive thank you to Guy Commanderson AKA If I Were A Minifig, you've been a great help throughout the project telling me things that needed fixing, and being a great assistant for this project. All the great music was done by him!

Also thank you HoldingOurOwn for you're assistance in editing parts of the first episode. Originally there was more but because I had a schedule and cause it was difficult to keep changing up the audio it couldn't work none the less thank you for wanting to assist and for what you did do!

I do understand that this was a little rushed in some parts, which is unfortunate but overall I am pretty happy with it.

I would love to get some feedback and responses on it and hear what you guys think even the voice actors! mini/bigsmile

Sincerely,
Divine.

Last edited by Divine (November 30, 2014 (12:21am))

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Re: Star wars - Life of a Clone Trooper (First half)

Bump!

Any comments or feedback? It's much appreciated! I really want to hear what your thoughts!

Sincerely,
Divine.

Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Hi!

I enjoyed the animation.  Having read the first 2 scripts I know it begins dialogue-heavy.  In cases like that, when the characters are giving long speeches, it's good to break the single shot up into a few different angles, or even just give a close-up now or then.  The series I do is dialogue based, so I'm always being conscious to do this.

I think the dialogue should have begun with "Prologue", or something else, instead of "Narration".  I was blown away by your animated logo before that!

The biggest improvement that needs to be made is the audio quality.  The voice acting and music were excellent, but the volume was inconsistent and the variations in the actors' microphones was prominent, with some actors talking with static in the background.  All in all, a very good film.  You wrote extensive additional dialogue and it was very well-written.  When you get to the second part, the 2 things I recommend are 1) add a battle scene just before or after the narration in part 1A which gives a glimpse of something coming up, and 2) see if the voice talent can make better recordings.

2000+ frames for 4 minutes?  That's impressive in itself.  I'm glad to be a part of this one.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

May as well voice my say!
I like the general concept here, quite a bit! It did feel quite short (which was explained) but that didn't subtract from the actual animation at all!
I thought the voicing was up and down; sometimes it was quiet, other times it was loud!
Look forward to more!

Hey HOO,

I am glad you enjoyed it!

holdingourown wrote:

characters are giving long speeches, it's good to break the single shot up into a few different angles, or even just give a close-up now or then.

I do agree on this part very much, the main reason I didn't revolve a lot of different shots is the fact I was worried I wasn't going to be able to complete the scene within the time frame I had. My main worry was that if I left it overnight and I returned there may have been serious camera bumps or something would be moved so I filmed that night for 8 long hours.

holdingourown wrote:

The biggest improvement that needs to be made is the audio quality.  The voice acting and music were excellent, but the volume was inconsistent and the variations in the actors' microphones was prominent, with some actors talking with static in the background.

I have to say I am 100% in agreeance with you on this. This is infact the first time I've had voices that were so inconsistent with each other that I just didn't really know how I was going to match them up. Some sounded like they were closer to the microphone and others sounded like they were spoken further from the microphone. If I Were A Minifig told about this, and said that needed fixing. Truthfully speaking, there wasn't a whole lot I could do from my end, even after the upload the voices seemed fine from my end. But as I mentioned on my channel I have yet to test it on another computer so I am sorry about that. Rest assured in the next vids, audio will be improved and better looked at!

holdingourown wrote:

"Prologue", or something else, instead of "Narration"

Thats a really good point! When I get my second part done, if I do end up connecting the whole episode as 1 part instead of two, I'll change that part!

holdingourown wrote:

add a battle scene just before or after the narration in part 1A which gives a glimpse of something coming up, and 2) see if the voice talent can make better recordings.

Well heres the funny thing, originally there was meant to be a battle scene that the narration would be talking over, but I just don't have the time or space to have made that possible. But honestly it was something I really wanted to do. But as I said, as I make my way to the second part of episode 1 (Not currently sure when that will be) but when I do, I'll see if I can fix up the episode and change the narration for a battle scene. Also I do agree the voicing does needs changing, Darren and Tony are characters that will continue on in the series and even Brick7 has a part thankfully I got all her voices done which she did an amazing job. So I am really excited to get to the second part. Finally a bit of action will begin!

holdingourown wrote:

2000+ frames for 4 minutes?  That's impressive in itself.  I'm glad to be a part of this one.

Thanks bud! it was a really great journey for me! And I am that you are around! When I start episode 2, I'll keep you updated.
Thanks for you're great feedback bud!

Hey Slurping Animations!
Thanks for your feedback! I do agree that it did feel short, that's why hopefully when I release part 2 it will make up for that, with a bit of action in it!
The voicing for this film would have been its biggest flaw, as I said to HOO unfortunetly the voices I received were all very differently done.
Thanks Slurping Animations!

Sincerely,
Divine.

Even if the voices were varied, the volume was not very consistent.  On your end you can change that part of the volume. I do hope you can get the chance to more realize this.  Also, if you have a short bit of time, you can shoot the speech at a second angle and insert that into the mix.

For a first timer - it's a pretty big undertaking.  mini/smile

Audio levels can be adjusted in your video editor.  Once you know how, it's something you'll do automatically and instinctually.  mini/smile

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

That is a great point HOO however, from my end the voices seemed matched up pretty well or the fact is they were so significantly small I wasn't able to notice it or that I did notice it but I didn't think it was something major. Which made me a little upset, but next time rest assured it will all be in working order. Which speech are you referring too HOO? The narration? Or the Evil Commander, or the Sargents speech?

Hey Togfox,

Thanks bud, it was a whole heap of work!
You see thats the thing I'm great with the editing part, but these voices I really don't know what went wrong bud, I'm even curious as to what went wrong myself. But I know for the next project I won't make the same mistake twice!
I do apologize about it!

Thanks guys.

Sincerely,
Divine.

The one I had in mind was the big Clone speech.  If you have the time to get a session once in a while, you can do that will all the speeches.  In Holding Our Own Ep 2, Angela is giving a lot of long narration as a DJ, and I broke it up into 3 parts, with the second part shot more close-up.  1 and 3 were the control parts.  Even something as simple as this can break things up.

Hey HOO,

Sorry for my late response, tbh I just didn't have the room/space or that freedom of time to have done that. To be honest I did really want to change the camera views and put in different angles. But the limit of space was unbelievable.. theres was hardly any room besides the set. So moving it around would have been a disaster!
You do it pretty well in regards to changing it up.

Hopefully something I can change in the future!

Sincerely,
Divine.

I enjoyed the plot and animation but the voices were pretty up and down like others have said. Also around the beginning there is some flicker on the wall (don't worry that happens to me mini/XD)