Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Hey guys, I know I'm not an admin, but can we please stop with the prequel bashing? This topic is for talking about Episode 7 not how much you dislike episodes 1-3.

I know this kid who says it's gonna be terrible, but he doesn't really know any thing about the film. Also, his favourite Star wars movie is Phantom menace, so..

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Galactic Films wrote:

Hey guys, I know I'm not an admin, but can we please stop with the prequel bashing? This topic is for talking about Episode 7 not how much you dislike episodes 1-3.

I think opinions of the prequels factor into why we're excited (or not) for The Force Awakens and it is worth talking about. One of the reasons that I believe this movie will be great (or at the least, mindless fun) is that the prequels exist and they serve as a guide of what NOT to do. J.J Abrams hasn't publicly spoken out against them, but he clearly is doing everything in his power to get away from them. Also, with Simon Pegg on as a consultant, there's no way this will feel anything like the prequels.

Actually, I think the prequels are underrated. I know the dialogue is abysmal and Way over-use of CG but, since it's Star wars, I like them.

The fact that Simon Pegg has any influence in this film is my biggest fear. We're talking about a guy who not only hates the prequels (outlandishly comparing the films to infanticide), but openly dismisses anyone who has any fondness for those films. He's also probably the biggest hypocrite to ever walked onto the Star Wars scene. This guy played Dengar in Star Wars: The Clone Wars (a show set in the prequel era).

But I think Disney has done a good job of balancing the PT and OT in their products leading up to TFA. Not to mention making and active effort to connect the two trilogies with the non-film canon like Star Wars: Rebels and several of the books and comics. And if any of the early rumors are true (which I hope they are), episode 8 will have far more references to the PT than The Force Awakens. TFA is for the older fans of the OT, but I think the rest of the trilogy will connect better with both of the previous trilogies.

The prequels are utter crap and I hope that there will be no references of the prequels in any of the next films. I deeply oppose those stupid prequels!

Galactic Films wrote:

The fact that Simon Pegg has any influence in this film is my biggest fear. We're talking about a guy who not only hates the prequels (outlandishly comparing the films to infanticide), but openly dismisses anyone who has any fondness for those films. He's also probably the biggest hypocrite to ever walked onto the Star Wars scene. This guy played Dengar in Star Wars: The Clone Wars (a show set in the prequel era).

He criticises the prequels because there is a lot to criticise. I know you hate people saying it, but even from an objective standpoint, they're an awful set of films. Episode II is one of the worst films I've ever seen, it's only redeeming feature being Mace Windu's level of badassery on Geonosis (which says a lot about the rest of the film).

Having voiced Dengar in The Clone Wars in no way makes him a hypocrite. The Clone Wars is a genuinely decent show, as is Rebels, and both are far superior to the prequels. It's illogical to say that that makes him a hypocrite. The prequels and the TV series are two separate texts.

And I agree with Chris W, in that the prequels are important to talk about when discussing TFA, since a lot of peoples' experiences of Star Wars growing up came from the prequels, and nine times out of ten, they were disappointed. From the trailers at least, TFA seems in part an attempt to remedy that and rescue Star Wars' reputation. I'm extremely glad Simon Pegg is on board; his brand of humour and levity seem a perfect fit for the tone I would imagine Disney are aiming for with TFA (he co-wrote Hot Fuzz, Spaced and Shaun of the Dead, which are all masterpieces of parody). His presence in the film is something to be celebrated.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

All if which is in your opinion. There is criticism and there is needless hate, and the latter describes Pegg. He once said something to the effect of: if you love a piece of fiction you shouldn't be ashamed of it. But apparently that doesn't apply to prequel fans. Several people love those films and shouldn't be criticized for it. You can't separate Star Wars from itself (no matter how awful), and I hope that is something Lucasfilm and Disney never loose sight of.

Lot's of people wish the prequels never happened, but if the prequels never happened the originals wouldn't happen either. Also, I agree with galactic, this has become "Hate Prequels Thread"

That makes no sense. The original trilogy came out from 1977 to 1983. The Phantom Menace didn't arrive until 1999. The original trilogy "happened" long before the prequels ever existed, and they did just fine.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

No, I mean story-wise. If 1, 2, and 3's storys didn't happen neither would 4, 5, and 6. Now, on the subject of Star wars 7, I don't see why Kylo ren's lightsabre wouldn't work. What are your thoughts?

Smocktopus wrote:

No, I mean story-wise. If 1, 2, and 3's storys didn't happen neither would 4, 5, and 6.

4, 5 and 6 work really well as a standalone trilogy. Part of me wishes the prequel trilogy had been left to the imagination, not in this case because they were bad, but because of the enigma surrounding them in the originals. There's a slow dissemination of information through 4 and 5 that builds up an image of life before the Empire, giving the audience little hints about what came before. It's like good horror: the most frightening events or antagonists are the ones where all or part of their traits are left to the viewer's imagination. Seldom can the filmmaker compete with that.

Smocktopus wrote:

Now, on the subject of Star wars 7, I don't see why Kylo ren's lightsabre wouldn't work. What are your thoughts?

I've got to say, I'm a big fan of the crossguard. While there are some legitimate concerns about the design in terms of getting the thing to work (and I mean that in terms of how SW has established lightsabers work with the films' diegesis, not in getting a lightsaber to work in reality) I think it's actually a pretty smart design, especially since the general appearance of the thing makes it seem like Kylo Ren made it himself (Vader fanboy, an' all). With the number of saber-arm mutiliations in Jedi/Sith history, having a crossguard is a pretty practical move. Plus if you look at the placement of the crossguard, it's pretty clear that unless you were handling the hilt wrong, you fingers were in no danger of being accidentally sizzled off.

What some fans have been arguing about is the way lightsabers work in the canon; as in, how a lighstaber projects energy through a crystal within a force field bla bla I normally follow film-science-technobabble pretty well, but I'm no expert on lightsabers. Still, it's interesting that it's caused so much debate. I guess that's the mark of a well-constructed hyper-diegesis, that its internal logic is so strong that it's possible to have a engaging and technically-minded discussion about it.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I completely agree with jampot and Chris. The prequels are a disappointment. For the vast majority of fans, Star Wars is about the engaging characters and the journey that they go on–all of which we get to experience in the original trilogy. The prequel trilogy has little value in that regard. The story line is weak, the characters are drab, and there quite a few inconsistencies with the original trilogy. Just because episodes I, II, and III are apart of the Star Wars universe doesn't mean we can't criticize them.

And Galactic, no one is criticizing the people who enjoy the prequels. That's perfectly fine. We're expressing our distaste for the films, not the people who enjoy watching them.

The way I see it is this:

Everyone loves the original trilogy.
Only a relatively small minority of Star Wars fans love the prequel trilogy.

So why would you even try to pull from the prequel trilogy when you can make everyone happy by pulling from the originals? And if you like the prequels, that's fine. Episode III for me is fine and I can enjoy it if I shut my brain off, haha. But there are clear and logical reasons why Disney and J.J Abrams would stay away from them, as they are undeniably divisive.

Smocktopus wrote:

No, I mean story-wise. If 1, 2, and 3's storys didn't happen neither would 4, 5, and 6.

Well, yes, I'm not opposing that these things happened, I just don't think they needed to be made. All you need to know about what happened before, like others have said, is mentioned in the originals. I'm not only angry with the fact that the prequels exist, I am also angry with how Lucas tampered with originals, by adding badly made CGI characters and objects to them.

And Greedo shooting first

You can't ignore the bad writing and weak performance of the romance between Anakin and Padme, Galactic.  Lucas doing it on his own without getting help or feedback is what made the prequels not up to par with the original trilogy. 

Kershner, Brackett, Kasdan, Marquand, and others helped contribute to the original trilogy.

George Lucas pretty much went on his own in the Prequel, surrounded by yes-men.  Being writer AND director doesn't always make a good film.  Had Lucas allowed more collaboration in the prequel writing (I'm not counting Hale) and maybe had someone else direct, it might have been a different prequel, or at least have a more believable tragic romance story.

Anyways: Kylo's lightsaber is actually based on ancient designs.  Those crossguard blades are actually vents due to Kylo building it on ancient, less refined designs.  Given that, I believe it is a plausible lightsaber.  You're comparing jet engines built for F-22 Raptors to jet engines built for World War II Messerschmitt Me 262.  There's a history and variety of designs.  Heck, go back to ancient times in the Expanded Universe where Jedi had to carry battery backpacks to power their lightsabers.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

Lechnology wrote:

Heck, go back to ancient times in the Expanded Universe where Jedi had to carry battery backpacks to power their lightsabers.

I think I remember reading about those.

Tis true. I guess you could call it legendary. mini/lol I think Kylo Ren's saber is totally plausible (within the universe). And even if it's not, it still looks awesome! I can't remember if this is still canon or not, but supposedly one of the main features of the lightsaber crystal is to keep the blade stable, Kylo's is anything but. Chances are his blade is probably emitted either through some pretty ingenious electronic work, or through a synthetic crystal. I'm sure a pure crystal would be pretty hard to find in this era of Star Wars seeing as the Empire probably destroyed any of the easier outlets to get them (like the Jedi temple on Illum) and the coordinates of the hidden Jedi temples have most likely been completely lost.

Galactic Films wrote:

I'm sure a pure crystal would be pretty hard to find in this era of Star Wars seeing as the Empire probably destroyed any of the easier outlets to get them (like the Jedi temple on Illum) and the coordinates of the hidden Jedi temples have most likely been completely lost.

Also, if you take into account Star Wars Rebels, it is likely they've been mined for use in the two Death Star's superlaser.

It's likely synthetic, just poorly synthesized, or he doesn't have a good focusing lens, causing the blade to be more firey and unstable.  We're all talking nonsense and gobble-di-gook, to be honest.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png