Topic: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

The film is a little over a year from coming out, but with the title announced and a teaser trailer on the way, I thought I'd post the topic now so we can all talk about it. Spoilers are allowed as long as they are put within a spoiler container like this

Spoiler (click to read)

Vader is Luke's father

. Let the conversation begin!!!!!!

http://i2.wp.com/makingstarwars.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Falcon-Teaser-Maybe.gif

Note: This GIF has been confirmed from someone close to the production to be fake, and will not be in the teaser trailer.

Last edited by Galactic Films (July 6, 2015 (11:10am))

Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

The falcon always shot red lasers, not orange so definitely fake. It also looks almost rebels cartoonish.

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

I have to say, I'm very excited. While on the one hand it's a shame that all the previous book and video game canon is now considered alt-u, it gives the movies total freedom from here on in, and I'm eagerly anticipating seeing where they go with it. That said, I'd rather they de-canonise the prequel trilogy than a lot of the books (like Heir to the Empire and Legacy of the Force), but I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon, despite how much the SW fandom dislikes those three films.

Spoiler (click to read)

However, a couple of the rumours have been quite disturbing, like the ones that Luke's been kept hostage by Sith witches since RotJ, and that Han and Leia - everyone's ultimate ship - are no longer a thing. I know if those rumours are true...well, that'll put off a lot of people, and not just within the fanbase.

To me, the title sounds great, though I'm hoping they keep the 'episode' theme (the title card they released doesn't fill me with hope though). From what I've seen of on-set photos and stuff like that, this looks very promising, and that's thanks in no small part to the fact George Lucas is no longer involved JJ Abrams being at the helm. Say what you want about Super 8 and Star Trek Into Darkness, he's a talented director, and I don't know that I would be as optimistic about Episode VII as I am if someone else (except perhaps Joss Whedon or the Wachowskis) was involved.

Umbra-Manis wrote:

The falcon always shot red lasers, not orange so definitely fake. It also looks almost rebels cartoonish.

Galactic already said it's fake, but even so, maybe the Falcon upgraded its weaponry mini/lol

I haven't seen Rebels yet, but I really liked The Clone Wars (a lot more than the prequels, anyway). There was this funny dichotomy where when it started off pretty bland and mediocre, but as the premises for the overarching stories got more ridiculous (like Darth Maul and his brother taking over Mandalore]) the better they actually were on-screen. Season 4 was glorious. Haven't got around to the final season yet, though.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

This is the most anticipated movie for me since...well, Revenge of the Sith. I mean I was excited about the Hobbit films, but after the trailers I lost most of my excitement, so I wasn't really anticipating the first one by the time it came out.

That said, I feel like it is doomed to be a mediocre adventure/escapist story given Abrams' track record. I think it'll be on par with A New Hope and Jedi probably, but I am hoping that it'll transcend that and become something a little more ambitious perhaps. As I've gotten older I've found the Star Wars films less and less satisfying, with the idea of Star Wars, and the overall universe being far more appealing.

I finished Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords last night. Hadn't played it in 8 years, but this time I played it with a mod that restores a bunch of content that cut off of the ending because of a release date deadline. The voice acting / script was all intact on the game disks, so they were able to finish it in a very satisfying way. I am now of the opinion that this game is a better piece of storytelling than any of the Star Wars films, including The Empire Strikes Back. It borrows a lot of the familiar tropes and elements from Star Wars, but reinvents and deconstructs them in interesting ways to create a story that has resonance as an allegory about war, choices, faith, and other themes that I think are a lot more worthwhile than "down with the evil empire!" I would love it if the new Star Wars films were to strive for that kind of depth.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I'd love to see a TOR kind of massive empire vs. massive civilization thing. I'm really going to be irritated if its anyone rebelling and winning against the side in power again.

One thing I hope will be explored is the history of the Sith. One of my biggest fears for this film is that they will not make any reference the prequels and only focus on the OT. Yes, I understand that this film is set after Episode 6 and that it would connect more with the OT, but if they don't even acknowledge the PT then their going to go down a road that will once again split the fans in an attempt to please the older fans.

One of my biggest fears for this film is that they will not make any reference the prequels and only focus on the OT.

That would be a big mistake. I also want to see some CW references, since that really is the star wars I had as an 8-12 year old.

Just announced!!!!!! Force Awakens trailer will premier in select theaters!!!  http://theforce.net/story/front/Cinemar … 161140.asp

I was too young when the prequels came out for them to crush my hopes and dreams, and I'm not about to let that happen now. JJ Abrams makes pretty normal escapist sci-fi adventures with high production value, so that's what I'm going to expect. While a deep, thought provoking plot with engaging characters would be nice, I'm going to go in expecting nothing more than a fun adventure film with lightsabers, spaceships, and really nice practical effects. Star Wars has always been more about the living, breathing universe than the storytelling for me, so as long as I get that, I'll be happy.

Sméagol wrote:

It borrows a lot of the familiar tropes and elements from Star Wars, but reinvents and deconstructs them in interesting ways to create a story that has resonance as an allegory about war, choices, faith, and other themes that I think are a lot more worthwhile than "down with the evil empire!" I would love it if the new Star Wars films were to strive for that kind of depth.

The cynic in me says they won't, but the 10 year-old Star Wars fanboy that's still in here somewhere is living in hope. The film doesn't have to go all New Nightmare, but at least a modicum of self-awareness would greatly improve the franchise.

I feel like I exhausted all discussion of Ep.7 almost two years ago, but I actually feel like I'm onto a win/win. If Ep.7 is good then I can be pleasantly surprised and walk away with a restored faith in mainstream cinema. If it's bad, then I can run back here all smug and be like "I TOLD YOU SO! I SAID THEY SHOULD HAVE JUST TAKEN THE FRANCHISE BEHIND THE WOODSHED - AND YOU ALL LAUGHED AT ME! WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!?"

Still need to finish the first Knights of the Old Republic game. I got it a few years ago in a Steam sale, but stopped playing because there were a number of bugs, and I disliked the comat-system (every Bioware game I've played is only really entertaining when I'm just walking around talking to people). Maybe I should give it another try...

YouTube
Max, She/They

backyardlegos wrote:

I'm going to go in expecting nothing more than a fun adventure film with lightsabers, spaceships, and really nice practical effects.

That right there is basically the entire Original Trilogy in a nutshell.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I still have rather high hopes for it.  Though, sometimes I wish I didn't because then they could be smashed terribly, but I can't really help it.  I did really like J.J.'s Star Trek, and they really feel a lot more like Star Wars than Star Trek.  So I feel like he'd do Star Wars rather well.

Max Butcher wrote:

I disliked the comat-system (every Bioware game I've played is only really entertaining when I'm just walking around talking to people). Maybe I should give it another try...

I feel the same way.  Because of this I've never actually finished a game.  I almost wish the fights were just cut scenes so I could focus on dialogue.

Dragon Age was too hard for me on the easiest difficulty. mini/sad
(But sure, I can make a new Skyrim character on legendary and still make it through)

backyardlegos wrote:

I was too young when the prequels came out for them to crush my hopes and dreams, and I'm not about to let that happen now. JJ Abrams makes pretty normal escapist sci-fi adventures with high production value, so that's what I'm going to expect. While a deep, thought provoking plot with engaging characters would be nice, I'm going to go in expecting nothing more than a fun adventure film with lightsabers, spaceships, and really nice practical effects. Star Wars has always been more about the living, breathing universe than the storytelling for me, so as long as I get that, I'll be happy.

I basically couldn't have said it better myself. Incidentally, after I was born in the year The Phantom Menace came out, I actually had two brothers come along, and each of them was born in a year that one of the additional prequels came out, one in 2002, and the other in 2005. Ever since then, we've received the cruel and horrible nickname: *shudder*..."The Children of the Prequels".

So yeah, I didn't grow up on Star Wars, but I really do enjoy the movies. And I wouldn't like to see them ruined.
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--or5MGH4q--/863836603834829345.jpg
Oh wait, that already happened. I'm actually genuinely excited for The Force Awakens, and I'm willing to sit in a theater, watching intently and eagerly, to find out what happens after the events of The Return of the Jedi.

Last edited by Mickey (November 25, 2014 (07:53am))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I have a plan about opening day, but, like the movie, it's a secret until it happens.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

They shouldn't try to out do Vader, since there is no way they could pull that off.

Im just happy that the Star Wars franchise is expanding, as the only films I saw in the cinema were AOTC and ROTS. It would be nice to experience that nostalgatic feeling when the 'Star Wars' title appears on the screen again.
As for hopes and all, I'm staying clear of rumors, spoilers and what not, as I don't want my expectations destroyed, just like with Gravity.

Squid wrote:
Max Butcher wrote:

I disliked the comat-system (every Bioware game I've played is only really entertaining when I'm just walking around talking to people). Maybe I should give it another try...

I feel the same way.  Because of this I've never actually finished a game.  I almost wish the fights were just cut scenes so I could focus on dialogue.

My feeling is that the combat is a bit mediocre as far as fun factor, but there are some interesting additional layers in KOTOR 2 that make it a little more of a challenge at least. Definitely not my favorite part of the game, though. Often found myself changing the gameplay mode to "easy" to get through some battles more quickly.

KOTOR 1 (made by Bioware) is a good Star Wars adventure story. It feels similar in tone to Empire Strikes Back, perhaps. I don't think it really transcends what the Star Wars films do, but it's well done. KOTOR 2 (made by Obsidian) is not like the Star Wars movies, it's a lot more morally gray and complex. And ultimately far more memorable to me. So in terms of writing, I think they're very different. KOTOR 1 got a much warmer reception, probably because it's easier to digest, much like the Star Wars films themselves.

backyardlegos wrote:

I'm going to go in expecting nothing more than a fun adventure film with lightsabers, spaceships, and really nice practical effects.

mini/lol

YouTube
Max, She/They

Two more days till the teaser trailer is released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mini/bigsmile

Max Butcher wrote:
backyardlegos wrote:

mini/lol

They had some neat puppets and sets in the little BTS pictures and videos they've released. JJ Abrams hasn't been one for miniatures in his Star Trek films, though, so I hold little hope on that front.