Topic: Transformer 4 running time.

As you know I'm a guy who likes long films...but transformer 4 seems like a really long movie!!!! I don't get it! The first films were long but this seems insane this is 165 minutes!!?!?!? TASM 2 was a great film IMO yes the film was long but they cut around 20+ minutes from it. The film in total is 161 minutes but transformer doesn't seem like one of those movies that are really long. My chances if they released transformer 5. It's most likely to be 185 minutes long..:rolleyes:

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN COMING IN 2014 FULL FETURE FLIM.

Re: Transformer 4 running time.

Don't watch it.  Transformer 1 was a disgrace.  2 made 1 look like a masterpiece.  Watch the 1986 animated movie instead.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I saw this thread and it made me chuckle. I'm literally in the middle of the extended edition Return of the King, taking a few minutes' break before switching over discs. The first disc alone was just over two hours.

I think there's a place for long movies. The original Solaris was like five hours long, and everyone says it's a masterpiece. However, the multiplex is not the place for it. Let people pay for the extra hour or so - most people want a concise story. That's what you expect from a movie at the cinema. The home experience is totally different.

As for Transformers 4 specifically, I can't see how Michael Bay can stretch any story of his beyond an hour and a half. I'm not saying he's a bad director (though he is becoming one) but it seems that he's becoming a bit self-indulgent. Same with The Hobbit movies. As much as I love them, it is filled with Peter Jackson patting himself on the back at how wonderful a storyteller he is, leading to longer running times but with less in the film. The moor chase in the first Hobbit was drawn out far too long, as was the entrance to Lake-town in the second.

I'll be seeing Transformers 4, but only when it comes out on DVD. I'm not in a hurry, though I'm glad the Dinobots have made it to the screen. For the fact that I'll be seeing it at my own pace, in my own controlled environment, I don't mind the long running time, but for people going to the cinema I do think it's a bit too long.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Transformer 1 was a disgrace.

I disagree. 2 was one of the worst films I've ever seen, and I can't comment on 3 as I haven't seen it yet, but the first was fantastic. This is coming from someone who used to idolise the 1986 movie and the Unicron trilogy. Transformers 1 was the absolutely perfect mainstream Hollywood Transformers movie, and I would not have done it any other way (though for a sequel, I may have gone for something closer to Fall of Cybertron).

But that's just my opinion. I do however feel fairly strongly about it, seeing how if you can ignore the pointless sequels it's one of the few aliens-versus-heroes-tearing-up-huge-city blockbusters I can stand (along with The Avengers and Man of Steel, the latter because of the sheer horror factor).

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I'm going to see the new transformers. I don't watch Michael Bay's films to think or criticize. I like it because his films are entertaining and fun. I like the first one. The second one, I had trouble understanding it because of all of BOOM BOOM BOOM every ten seconds. The third one was great in my opinion. Mark Wahlberg is one of my favourite actors. I'm sure he will do a great job. Why does everyone blame Bay for his films's failures... He didn't write the films. He didn't edit it, he didn't act, and he didn't make the music. A film is a team effort. Let's not forget that.

Running Times for the Transformers Series:

Transformers (2007): 144 Minutes

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen (2009): 150 Minutes

Transformers Dark of the Moon (2011): 154 Minutes

So, Transformers 4 is really only about 10 minutes longer than the previous films. The time is probably just spent giving some exposition about how the Autobots are fugitives and stuff now. Nothing super spectacular really.

I'm actually thinking of seeing this at a local drive-in next week, where it'll be shown as a double feature alongside 22 Jump Street. I just have a really weird curiosity about this film that makes me just want to see it.

Also, this video right here is pure gold.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Why would you watch any transformers movie when you could do basically anything else more pleasant?
You could stay home and clean your bathroom.
You could volunteer to help homeless people.
Or you could just sit and do nothing.
That would be much better.

Squid wrote:

Why would you watch any transformers movie when you could do basically anything else more pleasant?

Thank you Squid, you made my day.

Squid wrote:

Yeah, you could always watch "The Phantom Menace".

π Cherry π Banana Cream π Pumpkin π Lemon-Lemon π Black Berry π Quiche π

Squid wrote:

If I were running for President, this would be my campaign slogan.

sonjira wrote:

So, Transformers 4 is really only about 10 minutes longer than the previous films. The time is probably just spent giving some exposition about how the Autobots are fugitives and stuff now. Nothing super spectacular really.

I didn't know Michael Bay knew anything about exposition.  Now, my brother actually has the courage to watch "tf"2 after the first one, and told me that it made the first movie look like a masterpiece, so if you say that 2 was a lot worse than 1, it is true.

There were an infinite number of problems with the First TF movie, but the worst 2 things were: 1) The Transformers lacked the personality that made them so loved by my entire generation.  2) There could have been the slightest adherence to, or faithfulness to, the original storyline.  A single quote from the real movie (1986) isn't that.  Oh, and 3) Michael Bay should learn a bit about points of reference, framing, cinematography before pointing a camera.

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (June 26, 2014 (01:31pm))

Pretty funny fact:
Green Lantern has 26% on rotten tomatoes.
Transformers 4 has 18%

Another fun fact, it came out yesterday.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Third fun fact, it currently holds a lower score on rottentomatoes than Revenge of the Fallen. Who knows if that's where it'll stay but the percentage usually doesn't go up as more reviews come along.

funmiproductions wrote:

Pretty funny fact:
Green Lantern has 26% on rotten tomatoes.
Transformers 4 has 18%

The thing is RT sucks. They think they know everything about movies and give bad movies 90% and good movies 20% green latern was ok! And transformer 4 might not be bad. I think IMDB is much better.

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN COMING IN 2014 FULL FETURE FLIM.

Legoyeah01 wrote:

green lantern was ok!

In my opinion it's one of the worst superhero movies ever made. On a personal level, it's also possibly the most a movie has ever disappointed me, and in itself the film is truly terrible. In my opinion.

Watch the Green Lantern Animated Series instead. Its versions of Saint Walker and the Anti-Monitor are brilliant.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Just saw that Michel bay calls the "dinobots".  Looks like something Unicron pooped out.

Legoyeah01 wrote:

The thing is RT sucks.

Rotten Tomatoes may be a bit corrupt (putting down classic comedies and holding foreign documentaries high to the sky with praise), but despite the fact that they dissed some of my favourite movies growing up, they are a pretty reliable film review site.

And the site is a mere compilation of newspaper critics' reviews, as well as amateur reviews. They are the ones to decide the Tomatometer score, not the website itself.

165 minutes? Are you serious? I've read entire chapters of books longer than that.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I'm fine with movies having really long runtimes...but for god sakes - give us an intermission!

I've recently started watching plays at the cinema. I live in a small town in southern England (the posh, dull part) and whilst I have a direct train route to London - train prices are ridiculously expensive these days. So I've decided to embrace this new innovation, since I'd much rather deal with extortionate cinema prices than the great heist National Rail is playing on us all.

And, you know what? It's SO much better than seeing a movie. The plays are put on by reputable companies who reliably produce good stuff, unlike the woesome drivel I've so often had to sit through at the multiplex. Plus, the kind of people who go to the theatre are old people - and whilst old people get up to go to the toilet a lot and complain if you make too much noise, they know how the English watch plays/films: Keep silent, laugh/cry/scream at the appropriate moments, and then leave discreetly taking all litter with them.

But the best thing about the experience - THERE'S AN INTERMISSION!

At the end of Act 1, a little timer appears at the corner of the screen, usually giving the audience 20 mins to go to the toilet, get a drink, discuss what's happened with their friends, and just clear their heads. It's a smooth, efficient process that actually makes the whole experience feel shorter and more comfortable just because there's a convinient break.

So why don't actual films do this?

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Watch the 1986 animated movie instead.

Psst! Transformers has never been more complex than "ROBOT SMASH!" True - Michael Bay somehow manages to screw even that up. But I always find it hilarious when people treat Transformers as a sacred property. Though, maybe its just because I didn't grow up with it. I used to think that RTD era Doctor Who was the height of humanities artistic achievement.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Max Butcher wrote:

...But the best thing about the experience - THERE'S AN INTERMISSION!

-more text-

So why don't actual films do this?

About 2 months back I saw 2001 on 70mm at the Cinerama and they did include a 15 minuet intermission and it was so nice, modern epics could do this but don't and I have no idea why. But if a modern film is under 2 hours I don't really think I need one.

I'm so grateful that both my DVD and Blu-Ray copy of 2001 include the intermission. Its so great going to get a drink and relieve myself with the music still playing in the background - even though when I return I always fast forward the rest of the intermission because I don't want to sit there for 10 mins.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Max Butcher wrote:

when I return I always fast forward the rest of the intermission because I don't want to sit there for 10 mins.

The intermission wasn't long enough for me. When I got back to my room, the intermission was over, and Act 2 had already started playing! mini/lol

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?