Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Squid wrote:
Rockydude411Bricks wrote:

R.I.P.D
the worst part was all the post production camera movement.

Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa, hold up.

Did they actually use post camera movement in an actual feature film?  Are you serious?  How could that even what how no.

That's horrifying.

I know, it's crazy.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)

Okay, so it might just be a redo of its predecessor. But, Year Two certainly offers more thrills and chills when it comes to its storyline. And, great golly gosh, Jason Isaacs is awesome as Lucius. He gave a marvelous performance in The Patriot, and as soon as he walked into the bookstore with his recognizable, cringeworthy grin, I went nuts.

9.2/10

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

Even though the Dursleys are supposed to be the main source of comic relief in these films, there is, noticeably, a little bit more. But, with a new director at the helm, he gives his own spin on the series. His direction is more suspenseful, and not as campy as the two Columbus versions. While the roster of villains in this movie can be a bit too hard to follow for some (trying to figure out who's evil and who isn't, and such, is mildly confusing), the plot twist in the last third is extremely well-put together. And, I might even consider it as "genius". Year Three is definitely my favourite entry into the film franchise thus far.

9.8/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

You watching or rewatching the Harry Potter films?

Willco66 wrote:

You watching or rewatching the Harry Potter films?

I'm watching them all for the first time, and I didn't read the books. I just never got into that sort of stuff at a young age. Like Pokemon.

I'm a massive Harry Potter geek. I even went on the studio tour a couple of months ago and am planning on going again with some different people in August. It was such a huge part of my childhood and is something I hold very dear.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

"Die Hard"

After watching this for the first time tonight, this could be my new favorite movie.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Finally saw The LEGO Movie at an outdoor movie screening my neighborhood movie theater has. It was extremely good. One of the best movies I've seen in a while (and easily the best kids movie I've seen).

PushOverProductions wrote:

"Die Hard"

After watching this for the first time tonight, this could be my new favorite movie.

Good choice.

I've been watching a lot of movies recently, but I agree with what most of the people here have been saying about them.

Mary and Max (2009)

Every stop motion filmmaker should watch this. It's funny, it's sad, it's touching, and it's narrated by Barry Humphries. The visual aesthetic is beautiful, and used as an absolutely wonderful storytelling tool. There is almost no dialogue other than the narrator, which I loved, it suited the film so well. Also, the animation is smooth and beautiful, yet for the most part very simple. This film really shows that you don't need to be Aardman, Laika, or Disney to make a top notch stop motion feature. The arch for the two characters Mary and Max is lovely, probably because it's based on a true story. Everyone here should watch it, seriously. And I mean its stop motion, so it's great just for that, too. Oh, and it's on Netflix so I'm pretty sure a large number of you have no excuse not to watch it.

We Were Soldiers (2002)

Really good, really heavy film. Good cinematography to go along with an extremely powerful true story. It tells a message that I think everyone needs to hear, and I'd really suggest it if you haven't seen it, but not if your looking for something to put you in a good mood. I watched it on July 4th, which sort of added to the intensity.

wilco wrote:

Good choice.

Yippe-ka-ya!

backyardlegos wrote:

We Were Soldiers (2002)

Really good, really heavy film. Good cinematography to go along with an extremely powerful true story. It tells a message that I think everyone needs to hear, and I'd really suggest it if you haven't seen it, but not if your looking for something to put you in a good mood. I watched it on July 4th, which sort of added to the intensity.

I actually just watched this film recently, and I have to say its really underrated.  I pretty much never hear people talking about it, but its really well done.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

has anyone else who was in love with the lego movie when it first came out, after seeing it 4 (or however many more times you saw it) more times after your initial viewing, feel like the

Spoiler (click to read)

live action part

gets stale after a few viewings

when i first saw it i thought it was a really great part of the movie, thought it was inventive n whatever, but after seeing it 4 more times i feel like it's the weakest part of the movie

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

@JustKidden
Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of that part and I've only seen it once.

Spoiler (click to read)

It came off as really unexpected to me and changed the whole tone of the movie in a slightly negative way.  I had wanted the movie to be light and fun the whole time, but this part kind of ruined that.  I think that it pleased the critics though.  I was thinking that this part might be an important part of the sequel and the next movie could be about the passing on of the Legos, like a Toy Story 3.

PS. On the 29th of July, my Cinemark theatre is showing the lego movie for $1 all day, it may be different at different cinemarks, but might be something to look in to.

And I still have yet to watch The LEGO Movie. This is why I was called "Mr-Old-Fart-Who's-Out-Of-Touch-With-Popular-Culture" at school. (My classmates weren't very imaginative.)

YouTube
Max, She/They

Pulp Fiction

Just watched this for the first time, and it was great! I'd heard about how good it was for years, but when I read about it, I had a hard time piecing together what the movie was about, so I went into it mostly cold. The film really sells you on rooting for all these characters who do despicable things, as they act a lot more human than other, more sane, characters in other films.

And I really loved the out of sequence way the whole film was presented. I thought I would be confused when I read about it, but it was definitely clear and a quick trip to Wikipedia cleared up any confusion.

I'm just wondering, but was this film one of those that stylistically inspired Coffee & Carnage, or do they both share the same inspirations and are similar in that aspect. Cause I found both films both very similar in having very dark situations presented in a darkly humorous light.

All in all, this is a for-sure must watch for anybody. Greatly recommended.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)

Being somebody who didn't read the books, I kind of tried to guess the twists myself. I thought that

Spoiler (click to read)

Diggory was set up to be the villain. But, I guess it just goes to show that a Dark Arts teacher will usually end up in the hot seat as the antagonist. And, in Year Four, that turns out to be only half-true.

I mean, it is a really good one. But, it must have done something that Year Three didn't, because I didn't like this one as much as I did that one. But, where else to go from here, than on to Year Five?

9.5/10

Last edited by Mickey (July 9, 2014 (05:06pm))

Mickey wrote:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)

Being somebody who didn't read the books, I kind of tried to guess the twists myself. I thought that

Spoiler (click to read)

Diggory was set up to be the villain. But, I guess it just goes to show that a Dark Arts teacher will usually end up in the hot seat as the antagonist. And, in Year Four, that turns out to be only half-true.

9.5/10

In the books, it's revealed later that

Spoiler (click to read)

the reason why there's trouble around each Dark Arts teacher is that Voldemort (prior to becoming a terrorist) applied for the job, got rejected by Dumbledore, and so cursed the position so that no teacher would be able to hold the job for more than a year.

I know a lot about HP.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

My last post is missing.  I saw Independence Day.  Kind of a tradition.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

I really liked the beginning, and there were some genuinely funny moments, especially in Charlie's narration, but it soon runs out and is replaced by a bunch of worn-out cliches.  Of course Charlie immediately befriends a group of lovable misfit hipsters and become best friends and fall in love.  And the group itself feels so politically correct that I actually imagine the writer/film-makers having a tick list of what to write into the script.  Of course Patrick is gay and Mary-Elizabeth a Buddhist/punk/alternative hippie.  As for Charlie's family, they're so peripheral that they might as well have been written out entirely, which is annoying because they're supposedly important characters who don't actually do anything. The character with the most development is Charlie's aunt, and she's dead.

I guess my main problem is that the plot ultimately goes nowhere.  It feels like the film is so in love with how adorable and quirky its characters are that it forgets to move the plot forward.  The film itself is more like bunch of random scenes stuck together rather than a coherent plot.  For instance, there's a scene where Sam gives Charlie a pair of glasses when he's on drugs (for no apparent reason whatsoever, I might add), saying they'll protect him because he's scared.  But the glasses are never seen or heard from again, and nobody ever mentions this incident in any context, so it has no real relevance and it could have just as well been left out.  Everything in this film is revealed in such a weirdly indirect way, and because of this, it ultimately feels insubstantial.   I'm not even exaggerating when I say every single important moment happens off-screen.  Everything that is actually important is revealed in the most convoluted and oblique way possible.  It's an interesting idea to telling a story at first, but it just gets annoying because it feels like the narrator is trying to hide something for no reason, and there's zero emotional investment or impact because the audience isn't there to actually witness these highly important events and it just ends up being alienating.

There is some interesting potential for exploring the characters here, but we're only ever given tiny hints that don't lead to any satisfying conclusion.  For instance, Charlie supposedly has some sort of mental condition, but we're never told about it.  And we never get the feeling he's actually ill because all he ever does is talk about how he gets bad thoughts, right up to the climax when something does actually happen (but by which point it's too late and we, the audience don't really care about it anymore).  He talks about it, but he rarely shows it.  We never actually feel that he's suffering.  As such, he just comes across as weirdly disconnected instead of being a believable character.  The same goes for Sam--she supposedly has some deep dark past but she only references it once, and she doesn't once seem to be troubled by it at any point in the film.  Instead, it's replaced by random moments like Sam standing on the back of the truck while it's on the highway listening to music, even though a) I'm pretty sure that's illegal and b) you probably wouldn't even be able to hear the music from the cab anyway.  (I have to confess I was half-expecting Sam to get decapitated by a low-hanging sign and/or get pulled over by a police officer...)

I guess the message is supposed to be that you should love people for what they are now, regardless of their past, but you'd think that with the stuff these characters have been through they'd have at least a bit more emotional baggage.  This film deals with characters who have been through some very nasty things in the past (which incidentally begs the question of why nearly every apparently everyday family in this film is so horrifically dysfunctional), but they don't ever seem to be seriously impacted by these supposedly traumatic events and they seem to be as casual about it as if they were discussing the weather, so these events have no emotional impact on the audience.

Of course, there's the climax of sorts in which

Spoiler (click to read)

there's what's supposedly the almost-suicide scene (even though we never actually see Charlie trying to kill himself--which is what I mean about "indirect").

Except that it falls flat because there's no noticeable build-up towards it and no indication that this will happen.  And, after that,

Spoiler (click to read)

it turns out that Charlie's aunt supposedly abused him, which is what caused his PTSD/condition, except at this point the audience doesn't really care anymore since the climax of the film has already passed, so this extra plot twist feels weak and forced--especially since we've been led to believe that Charlie is feeling guilty about his aunt dying and up til now there's no real indication that there's something else going on (although it does seem disturbing how deeply Charlie is apparently affected by his aunt's death...).

It also annoys me that nearly every main character is preoccupied with romance (seriously, is why is every teenager in Hollywood films obsessed with falling in love?  It doesn't ever seem to occur to them that they have more-or-less their entire life before them...).

While there are some good parts in this film, and the acting is on the whole well-done, it's pretty frustrating since it doesn't go anywhere and ultimately ends up feel hollow as a result.  It isn't bad per se, but it's far from good.  I'm not really sure why everyone seems to think this film is so amazing.

Yikes, that ended up being a really long post, sorry about the wall of text (does anyone actually read these....?).

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (July 10, 2014 (02:04am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Iron Man 2

In my quest to watch all of the MCU films I watched Iron Man 2. mini/confused This was a big let down from the first film. And Agent Colson's appearance felt like he was there just to say "Hey! Remember me from the last film. Well got to run to the next movie. bye." And Whip Lash felt like he was just there to fill Iron Monger's shoos. But hey! At least Stan Lee was in it. mini/lol Plus they never explained where Stark Tower came from!!!! What's up with that?!?! So I now know no more about Iron Man in the Avengers than when I started the film. mini/blankexpression

Last edited by Galactic Films (July 10, 2014 (01:07pm))

The Lego Movie. That's right.  I'm writing my impression of it but it's long and I'll try to have posted soon.  I'm split between finishing my thoughts and entering submission to a Lego Friends contest

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

FlyingMinifig wrote:

(does anyone actually read these....?).

Yes. My friends seem to adore this film, but when I saw it I felt let down. I didn't understand what I didn't like about it, but what you wrote here seems to sum up what I was feeling.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions