Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Kizar wrote:

So many reviews. I have no need to say my stuff.

Nonsense! That shouldn't be a reason not to review a movie.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)

'Twas good. Nothing special, but I would want to continue watching the rest of the films, and maybe read the books sometime during high school.

9/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I havent been posting stuff in this topic at all really but there are a few films I really have stuff to say about

Maleficent (how to you spell this)
ohohoh yess this was, an Amazing film. go watch this film now. it's better than every film.

The Great Gatsby
Well I'm not sure if I enjoyed the film on its own or if I enjoyed it because I like the story of the novel so much!? some aspects of the film seemed contrived, like the narration, but it was good to have dialogue from the novel itself. I cried x10

Shall We Dance (white boy remake)
Well, I didn't like this as much as the original one, from Japan, although even that one I didn't find very relatable. This scene is what I found most poignant.

and have i talked about breakfast at tiffany's because <3 <3 <3  <3 <3  it would be my favorite film if not for the racist portrayal of mr yunioshi which I found Very Offensive so sorry, wreck it ralph has to take its place as My Favorite Film. but I love this film so much, as well as the novella, which is very different and perfect in its own way (it's much more progressive than the film interestingly, with Holly being portrayed as a bisexual character and Varjak being gay which yay i like that why didnt the film keep that but then again i Like romcoms so)

i... i don't remember what else I watched. sorry i've been away for such a long time i'm a piece of crap i'm really excited about How To Train Your Dragon which came out yesterday I think?!?but I'm in france for the summer and it wont be released until july here.... -_-

The Monuments Men

I really enjoyed it, particularly the score, the score sounded so beautiful.  There are also a surprising number of funny moments.  I would recommend.

How to Train Your Dragon 2

It's a sequel that is actually good, and that's a wonderful thing.  It does a good job of adding on the the original.  Gerard Butler sings in this, and that is an even more wonderful thing.  I don't much fancy the design for the dragon king, though.  It doesn't look much dragony at all.  Hiccup's new look is super cool though.

Luckily, I managed to avoid all trailers for this except for the very first teaser because I wanted it to feel very fresh.  Also, apparently I've learned that the trailer reveals a spoiler of which one should really not be cognizant because the reveal of this thing itself is quite interesting I thought, especially if you don't know it's coming.  So if you haven't already, avoid all trailers for this film.

This is the second time of which I'm aware that Dreamworks has put a major spoiler in the trailers (the other being Megamind, but luckily I hadn't watched the longer trailer before seeing the film).  Whoever makes the trailers at Deamworks and allows them to be released to the public deserves a big slap in the face.  One of my favourite things about Megamind is that I didn't expect what to happen to happen.
From henceforth I need to just avoid all trailers from Dreamworks.

Men in Black
I admit it, I never got around to watching it until recently. Wasn't that bad, had a nice balance of story and corny fun. (What other movie could you find Tommy Lee Jones driving upside down singing Elvis songs...)

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

Squid wrote:

Gerard Butler sings in this, and that is an even more wonderful thing.

Are you sure?

I'm joking. HTTYD2 might be one of the few Dreamworks movies that I actually want to see. It's too bad that the spoiled that twist in the trailer, but it makes me wonder if that's one of the things that will bring so many people into the cinemas. I want to see it, but I'll probably end up waiting for the dollar theater.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:
Squid wrote:

Gerard Butler sings in this, and that is an even more wonderful thing.

Are you sure?

He's got a wicked singing voice in my opinion.  Of course, I also think that Russel Crowe has a wicked singing voice, but not everyone likes it.  (oh, man, If they were together in a movie singing at the same time that would be amazing)

(Also, when I watched that on YouTube I got a How to Train Your Dragon 2 ad, ha ha ha)

I watched both of these on an aeroplane screen during a 10-hour flight, so my appreciation of these films might have been affected by this, but here goes...

Gravity

Beautiful.  The storyline is fairly straightforward and simple; it's basically a survival story set in space--which is no bad thing.  And wow, the cinematography is just incredible.  That 20-minute continuous opening shot especially--while it perhaps was just a little too long, it is absolutely amazing.  The camerawork is unbelievable.  You read about zero g and weightlessness, but you never really think about what it is actually like, but the camerawork here is really immersed me, and I felt like I was actually in space.  You really get a feel of the surreality of weightlessness, and the claustrophobia and disorientation as well as the beauty of space.  I did feel the pace was a bit jarring, since the film basically consisted of a frenzied action scene, followed by several long slow shots of stuff floating around or characters talking, followed by more frenzied action, repeated until the end of the movie.  However, I don't think this entirely negative either, as I imagine that an actual space crisis would feel like that (not that I'd know, obviously, but still).  The action scenes were incredibly intense and gripping.  My heart was racing and my palms were actually sweating during some of these, which, for the record, almost never happens to me.  And it managed to do this while I was watching it on a tiny aeroplane screen with tinny sound quality and plane noises in the background.  Any movie that can do that is highly impressive, to say the least.  My only complaint is that I did feel the film did get a little over-the-top towards the climax,

Spoiler (click to read)

and from what I've heard most astronauts/cosmonauts would find it near impossible to stand up, let alone get out and swim to shore after a Soyuz crash-landing like that

but that is a minor complaint for an otherwise incredible film.  I really need to watch this on a big screen.

Fargo (1996)

I didn't really know what this was about, but I'd heard about the TV series and that this is apparently a good film, and every Coen Brothers film I've watched thus far I've enjoyed, so I decided to give it a shot.

I was disappointed.

For the most part, the film is really slow-moving, and there's hardly any character development at all.  I sort of liked how the cowardly and hilariously inept Jerry was portrayed, and the character of  police chief Marge as well but none of the characters are ever relate-able or even likeable (or hate-able).  For instance, Shep Proudfoot does literally nothing except utter monosyllablic lines, then suddenly go and beat up the guy with the moustache (I can't even recall the names of the hitmen) before suddenly disappearing and never being heard from again.  Sme with the weird silent chain-smoking hitman--he's just that: weird and silent.  He just sits around smoking or whatever, then murders a bunch of people for no real reason.  I suppose he could be an Anton Chigurgh (from No Country for Old Men-esque character, but it's never explained or analysed, or even acknowledged by the other characters--which just makes him feel irritating and pointless.  Most of the characters talk about mundane, boring, and everyday things.  Then you have extremely gory and violent moments that literally come out of nowhere,

Spoiler (click to read)

like the woodchipper scene.  And I thought the bathtub incident in Breaking Bad was bad....

This just gives me a massive case of mood whiplash, and not in a good way at all.

Also, I found the accents and acting really over-the-top and corny in some places (seriously, this movie's script suffers from a flagrant over use of "aw jeez" and "yah".  It gets to the point where it's nearly unbearable.)  And there's completely pointless scenes which do nothing to advance the plot of the film, like Marge's meeting with the Asian guy in the restaurant.  It literally comes out of the blue, and is so overacted it almost seems like a parody of itself.  I don't even kn ow what the Asian guy has to do with Marge or why he's even meeting her in the first place, and it has nothing to do with the rest of the plot.

In short, I am genuinely mystified as to how this film ever got a good reception, let alone managed to win two Oscars.  If this is anything to go by, then the TV show is a total waste of time.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

8 Mile
I thought that this was a great movie about eminem! I myself
Like eminem as a rapper so I was very excited to see his earlier years! I think it was also well put together and didn't have very many noticeable errors.

8.5/10

The LEGO Movie

Finally, at long last, I got to see this masterpiece of awesomeness.
Wow...Just wow. I seriously need to watch it again just to catch everything. So many cameos, so many details, so many references to inside-jokes. So many SPACESHIPS!

I'm kinda overwhelmed right now, need to step back and really process what I just saw.

Spoiler (click to read)

Some are complaining about the live-action parts, and while they were a bit long, I think it served a nice purpose, and even if that was the weakest part of the movie, the whole thing is so strong that any flaws don't even make a dent.

So glad I wasn't majorly spoiled on this. I had gotten a few hints, but nothing huge thus allowing for some great surprises and delights.  Great film, so glad I bought it. If you haven't, watch it now. If you have, now watch it again.

Super 8

It isn't my first time watching this, and there's probably some sophisticated philosophical rule out there about this; but you can never have the same reaction to something twice. I definitely cannot experience the movie like I did the first time (same goes for every movie, but The Amazing Spider-Man and The Social Network stick out in my mind).

Just to simply say how much I adore this film, it's now my favorite movie. It's not only well written, it's purely entertaining; and for this I respect J.J. Abrams so much more. But as entertaining as it was, it is also inspiring. The acting is great, the sub-plots are all intertwined (well) and the relationships between the characters are well convened. There's a lot of great funny moments that make the characters even more likable.

Also, flares.

I love this movie, and I hope that I always do. So if you haven't yet seen it, Super 8 is definitely a film that I recommend. If I should give it my short rating, (which doesn't really do it justice) it would be 3/3.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Squid wrote:

Luckily, I managed to avoid all trailers for this except for the very first teaser because I wanted it to feel very fresh.

I thought the whole point of trailers was to get you interested in the film and see what it's like, not give away spoilers...

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Squid wrote:

Luckily, I managed to avoid all trailers for this except for the very first teaser because I wanted it to feel very fresh.

I thought the whole point of trailers was to get you interested in the film and see what it's like, not give away spoilers...

Most trailers give away too much these days. The True Grit remake gave away the film's main twist in the trailer, as did The Amazing Spider-man 2.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Frozen was really good but let it go wasn't the best song it was OLAFS mini/bigsmile
8.0/10.0
Green lantern was bad the first 30 minutes was good after that drama..
6.0/10.0
2001! It's a okay movie. A lot of effects for its time but it was okay
7.5/10.0

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN COMING IN 2014 FULL FETURE FLIM.

Indiana Jones trilogy (#pretending the 4th onr never happened fight me)
So i rencently like, marathoned all these movies with my family, which was fun because I had not seen the 2nd one. I fell asleep during all three which is weird. So yaa, as far as action movies go they are superb! But I am not a big fan of the genre. My favorite one I think is The Last Crusade, if only for the scene where dr jones is like "whoops son we've been shot down" because

maleficent

i thought it was a good movie. i liked it. i felt like it could have been executed better visually, though. like all of the weird cg characters definitely didnt feel like they fit in with the rest of the movie... i loved the relationship between aurora and maleficent.... the flying scene at the beginning frustrated me and turned me off to the movie., but my interest was turned back on when she told the tree guy that he was classically handsome . that was funny . i wanted prince eric to leave
i felt like the pacing was weird. i dunno. who knows

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Thor: The Dark World

A lot better than the first one. Had more action, more plot, more portals! And you got to love those Stan Lee cameos. mini/lol

Spoiler (click to read)

If you watch a Marvel film stay for the credits. The scene with the collector was really cool! There we learn that the Teseract and the Aether are two out of six of the infinity stones each with there own powers. "One down, Five to go." Can't wait for the Orb in GotG

R.I.P.D
This movie was eh. I got some laughs out of it but the action and the drama was pretty boring. The CGI was bleh. But the worst part was all the post production camera movement.
5/10

The Purge
Pretty good movie, the acting was good most of the time. The idea was good but the story is just eh and all the characters got really annoying. I didn't like the ending it was boring and bleh. The sequel though seems to have a better story though, not sure.
6/10

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
Not as good as the first one. I didn't really find this one that funny, and it was kinda boring.
5/10

Rockydude411Bricks wrote:

R.I.P.D
the worst part was all the post production camera movement.

Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa, hold up.

Did they actually use post camera movement in an actual feature film?  Are you serious?  How could that even what how no.

That's horrifying.

Squid wrote:
Rockydude411Bricks wrote:

R.I.P.D
the worst part was all the post production camera movement.

Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa, hold up.

Did they actually use post camera movement in an actual feature film?  Are you serious?  How could that even what how no.

That's horrifying.

Time for Squid to be reeducated

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/Clockwork&#039;71.jpg

Yonggary (Chinese 2001 version)

Low-budget monster movie with horrible acting.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."