Re: 2015: The Contest

Also fine.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Just wondering, what's the stance on copyrighted music and suchlike?  I'm guessing we won't be allowed to use music that has copyright?

I have a really really good idea for a scene for this contest, but I'm wondering if a single scene might be a bit alienating to viewers since it's just a tiny part of a feature-length film which doesn't exist (outside of the mind of the person who made it, anyway) and it might feel weak since the clip will most likely end in the middle of nowhere unless it's at the climax of the film, which it wouldn't be in my case.  So I'm wondering whether i should do a trailer instead.

Also, I'm not sure if I'll be able to work on this beyond this summer.  I'll be starting Uni this year, and I don't know how this will affect my future in brickfilming.  (I really want to continue doing it, but I genuinely have no idea how it'll pan out at this point).  I guess this last part is me thinking out loud though.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (March 20, 2014 (10:10am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

jampot wrote:

[*]No copyrighted material is to be used - that's clips from other movies, music etc.[/*]

It's for the best. It means the YooToob poleeess won't come down on your entries. I know some people here can monetise their videos, but that can't happen if there's copyrighted music in them.

If you want to do a clip, that's up to you. The real skill of that would be trying to establish the most important elements of your story - protagonist, antagonist and goals - in such a short snapshot, but remember that you're submitting a plot synopsis and an outline alongside.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Also, I'm not sure if I'll be able to work on this beyond this summer.  I'll be starting Uni this year, and I don't know how this will affect my future in brickfilming.  (I really want to continue doing it, but I genuinely have no idea how it'll pan out at this point).  I guess this last part is me thinking out loud though.

I'm having the exact same problem. I go to uni in September. Hopefully I'll be heading to York, which is the other end of the country from where I live, but I'll be doing my damndest to make sure I can carry on brickfilming. It's really about the only consistent hobby I have. I do sailing and various martial arts in bouts every few months, but brickfilming's the only thing I really stick to at the moment.

Just try and work out what you can take to uni and how much time you think you'll have. I'm trying not to worry 'bout it.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem. I go to uni in September. Hopefully I'll be heading to York, which is the other end of the country from where I live, but I'll be doing my damndest to make sure I can carry on brickfilming. It's really about the only consistent hobby I have. I do sailing and various martial arts in bouts every few months, but brickfilming's the only thing I really stick to at the moment.

Just try and work out what you can take to uni and how much time you think you'll have. I'm trying not to worry 'bout it.

If all goes to plan I'll be studying in London (in fact, all of my UK uni offers come from there).  Accommodation in London, as you probably already know, is tiny and expensive and my collection is huge so I'm not sure I'll be able to take it along.  Still, I live quite close to London, so I could easily travel back to my home for the holidays or even a weekend.  Having said that, I'll be going to go to a "good" (read: one where you're probably expected to do a lot of work) uni, so I'm not sure I'll even have the time to brickfilm.  And I'll be studying something completely unrelated to film (Biochemistry) so I won't even have an excuse.  Mind you, my first-choice uni has a history with cinema (a famous film director graduated there) so I guess it sort of balances out.  Maybe.

At this point I'm not worrying about this though, I have way too many other things on my mind.  Right now I'm focusing on my exams....

Anyway, we should prooobably get back on topic.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (March 22, 2014 (04:46am))

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

could this trailer be for a Video Game or just movies?

Just movies. The contest is about creating a blockbuster.

alright, thanks mini/bigsmile

Hey guys,

I'm new to the site. I've been brick filming for almost 2 years now. I saw this contest and I thought I'd give it a shot.

Are there any theme restrictions? I wanted to do a medieval-themed (brick)film, would that be ok?

Also, it has to be LEGO, right?

~RBC

Welcome, scproductions!

There are no theme restrictions, just make sure you follow the guide lines of a your project being a trailer or a scene from your fictional film. A medieval theme sounds great!

I believe you can use LEGO or any other similar building toys, such as Mega Bloks.

Willow Tree wrote:

Welcome, scproductions!

There are no theme restrictions, just make sure you follow the guide lines of a your project being a trailer or a scene from your fictional film. A medieval theme sounds great!

I believe you can use LEGO or any other similar building toys, such as Mega Bloks.

Correct, Willow Tree. And scproductions, welcome!

For the past year, Iv'e been working on a film that is planned to run for over an hour in length. I read this and immediately thought that I should enter a scene from the film. As far as I can see, that would be acceptable, right? As long as it meets all the guidelines.

YouTube Channel Edmeier Animation
Email: [email protected]

Edmeier Animator wrote:

For the past year, Iv'e been working on a film that is planned to run for over an hour in length. I read this and immediately thought that I should enter a scene from the film. As far as I can see, that would be acceptable, right? As long as it meets all the guidelines.

No. As you've had the past year to work on it, that would give you a massively unfair advantage over the people who've only started since the contest itself began. If you wish to enter, please create something new.

Is Brickforge allowed?

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

I just might do this. I am thinking of making a 7 minute brick film this summer but I am really busy script writing for a feature I am doing.  Also I have to make a website so the chances are slim.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Harborlight Productions wrote:

Is Brickforge allowed?

Yes, Brickforge custom parts are allowed. You should definitely try to enter!

Quick question: Since this is also focusing on the entire movie, not just the actual filmed segment, will, say, movie posters be considered part of the judging process?  I'm thinking of perhaps making a poster for my film segment, and I'm curious to know whether I would get for want of better description "extra points", if that makes sense.

Quick question: Since this is also focusing on the entire movie, not just the actual filmed segment, will, say, movie posters be considered part of the judging process?  I'm thinking of perhaps making a poster for my film segment, and I'm curious to know whether I would get for want of better description "extra points", if that makes sense.

jampot wrote:

You won't be judged on your additional material, but the plot outline and synopsis, and the production photos are still required to enter.

Unlike the plot outline, you don't have to make one to enter, and if you do you won't be judged on it, but making one is strongly encouraged.

Willow Tree wrote:
Harborlight Productions wrote:

Is Brickforge allowed?

Yes, Brickforge custom parts are allowed. You should definitely try to enter!

Ok thanks for the information. mini/smile

If we have the time, can we actually submit the entire feature film? I actually have a plan to do just that.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.