Re: BrickFilm Cinematic Universe proposal

fallentomato wrote:

I've even mapped out where on the planet Figuria the different themes are generally located.

Whoa, I always thought that you just threw a random mess of blue and green there, you've actually thought it out!

fallentomato wrote:

I'm already thinking about how to incorporate a Sharks and Clowns reference and a Minilife TV cameo into Chapter 3 of NNN.

Perhaps when describing the Green/Orange conflict, have someone describe them as fighting like sharks and clowns.  Using that Faloovian term has always been my favourite way to reference that film.
But you might also do something with a Legshark.

In the expanded storyline of Riigo-Faloo, there is a way to travel between different realms trough magic portals, thus Faloo can be connected to almost any story, however, it's not an entirely easy way of transit, since only some realms are connected, and you have to go through one or several transit realms to reach your destination.  People can also enter another realm, then enter their own realm at a different point which would otherwise be impossible to access.  Faloovians once used this method to travel to their moon through a small transit realm.  However, the realm was destroyed about 1000 years before Sharks and Clowns by the goblin king at the time.  Though, transit by any other means to Riigo-Faloo is extremely difficult because most realm paths lead through the Realm of Arkenvoul, which is run by a being who has a sort of monopoly on realm-to-realm traval, and it's a generally very nasty place crawling with dangers and relicjacks.

(Whoa, I didn't need to go into that detail)

I kinda have a strange way of linking my stories in impossible ways.  Munchy is actually animated into several of my stories, but I don't actually have a proper timeline for him and I just throw in in there.

He's actually from another story which cannot be brickfilmed where he's the friend of a mad traveling wizard who at one point helps Jahk the Pirate from Pirates Rule!  That film shouldn't really exist at all because Jahk never actually pirated anything but fell through a portal right after being shanghaied and became a hero in a magical land.

Sharks and Clowns isn't even cannon anymore because I've changed the story's ending to where the conflict was started be the Switch and a clown not affected by switching has to go out and fight him at the end and nobody dies.

I'm really weird with this stuff and kinda just do what feels like fun at the time.

Squid wrote:

Perhaps when describing the Green/Orange conflict, have someone describe them as fighting like sharks and clowns.  Using that Faloovian term has always been my favourite way to reference that film.
But you might also do something with a Legshark.

I was actually planing to have Robert compare the rivalry between Pirates and Magicians to Sharks and Clowns, but same idea mini/smile

Squid wrote:

I quite enjoy the details. I really like the idea of a being who has a monopoly on inter-dimensional travel. Have you done a brickfilm with that character in it, of is that just something you know about your universe?

Squid wrote:

I'm really weird with this stuff and kinda just do what feels like fun at the time.

That's a good plan mini/smile  If you get too hung up on canonicity you get into Lucasfilm territory very quickly.

fallentomato wrote:
Squid wrote:

I quite enjoy the details. I really like the idea of a being who has a monopoly on inter-dimensional travel. Have you done a brickfilm with that character in it, of is that just something you know about your universe?

Just something I know.  I started thinking out Riigo-Faloo as a cartoon TV show idea, which will hopefully be made eventually.

The Lord of Arkenvoul doesn't become important or even part of the story really until probably around very close to the end of a climactic story-arc at the end of the story.  He temporarily becomes a sort of sub-nemesis of the heroes before the arch-villain.

Though, he's not a very interesting character, he's rather more of a nameless heavily armoured obstacle with a stash of magical weapons.

But, speaking of villains, will this cinematic universe have a primary villain?
Also, I'd love to have some more details on Vertigo.  Is he a villain or a hero?  And what does he do?

Really, I vote Vertigo as the main baddie. Or, if he isn't a villain, make him a Mister Mxyplyzyk like character.
Not really evil, but causes a lot of trouble. (Either intentional or not, it doesn't matter.)
I think giving him some short cameos, adding a few details over time, and then building up to something big would be pretty neat. Or even a reveal that he is really a good guy, that's fine too.

I'm loving all these details and back story cool-ness. Keep it up.
Also, the Lord of Arkenvoul sounds like an interesting character.

This looks really cool. I really wish I had something to contribute, but so far I haven't made much of a universe for my brickfilms to be in. I'd love to help out/participate though!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Really, I vote Vertigo as the main baddie. Or, if he isn't a villain, make him a Mister Mxyplyzyk like character.
Not really evil, but causes a lot of trouble. (Either intentional or not, it doesn't matter.)
I think giving him some short cameos, adding a few details over time, and then building up to something big would be pretty neat. Or even a reveal that he is really a good guy, that's fine too.

Yeah, because aside from the robe, he's quite easy for most people to make. And I vote trickster (as in Mxy) rather than out-and-out-villain, as that gives people the chance to flesh out their own individual villains, in stories which Mr. Vertigo flits back and forward between.

I just watched an episode of Minilife TV and it reminded me of an old character I made. I did take a picture recently.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7284/8738024308_221d7a6f2a_c.jpg

The last known Celestial Builder (a higher race of ancient beings, not gods, who created much of the universe and helped species to evolve) Melthusax is believed to have “waited behind” so that he could watch how the universe progressed without the builders' help. He is a being of great power, possessed of a transcendant form held to this plane by the robes he wears and the Building Scepter he carries.

Obviously, the pieces are quite specific. The face and legs are from the Chitauri, the sceptre is Ninjago and Chitauri vehicle pieces, and the body is Clone Wars Anakin Skywalker. It's a weird mix. However, one of his powers is shapeshifting, so maybe as long as people can build the brown hood and brown cape, maybe he can make cameos as a kind of cosmic watcher. The idea in my brickfilms was going to be that he decided to watch the universe develop, and that his focus is mainly on Earth, since magic still exists there.

He's also able to Cosmic Build, which means to build or rebuild things but on a massive scale. He could just build a car, or he could build a moon (as long as enough of the right bricks/materials are available to him). He can travel through space and time at will, and because his true form, held inside his armour, is trascendent, he cannot cause paradoxes - no matter what he does, time will always be stable. He can also manipulate the Creation Spark inside of every single minifigure (except the undead, of course), which allows him to induce transformations, mutations, or give powers.

The Building Sceptre is a powerful golden sceptre with purple, glowing elements which helps Melthusax stay anchored to the physical realm, even when he isn’t in physical contact with it. It also contains some of his power, which other beings have been known to use (with his permission) at various times. For the sake of ease, the Building Sceptre does not have to appear when Melthusax shape-shifts.

It's just an idea.

There's also the possibility of one other Celestial Builder - an evil one who stayed behind, maybe who's imprisoned somewhere in the universe, waiting to be broken out. He or she would have similar powers to Melthusax. I have no intention of following the Evil Builder up, so someone else can do that if they like, just make sure to reference Melthusax and the Celestial Builders as a whole.

Last edited by jampot (September 1, 2013 (01:17am))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I'm very pleased people are interested in Mr. Vertigo. mini/smile  He is definitely a hero, though, not a villain, and often turns up in the most unlikely places to help people. Using his interdimensional powers, he has the ability travel long distances very fast and use teleportation-like powers, and tends to randomly pop up in one place and suddenly disappear.  He does have something of a trickster-like personality, though.

As for building Mr Vertigo, I didn't think of the Graduate Cloak.  I guess because I got the Vampire torso in a LEGO store (sadly, I don't have the awesome Vampire cape mini/sad ) I took it for granted that these parts would be fairly easy to find.  If you don't have that cloak, just use a standard black cape or nothing at all.  For the body, the Monster Fighters vampire torso or any black formal suit would work well if you don't have that particular body.

Regarding his backstory, I still am working on some details, but he was a great wizard in his world.  However, the evil emperor Eskil the Vile, who hated wizards, banned magic and started hunting down practitioners of magic.  Mr. Vertigo became a key member of the Wizard Resistance who fought against Eskil.  However, he was caught in a great battle inside the Great Tower of Ooo (named after the first Grandmaster Wizard who founded the Order of Wizards).  Inside the tower there is a powerful device which allows travel between dimensions.  During the fight it was damaged and went haywire, zapping Mr. Vertigo and sending him into different dimensions.  This gave him his weird teleportation powers and is why he has a tendency to appear and disappear somewhat randomly.  So basically, he's a hero who helps people and does good with his powers, albeit a bit haphazardly--a bit like the Doctor.

However, I do have a character who is actually quite similar to Mr. Vertigo, who would work great as a main villain.  He's called Mr. Smiley:

http://universe.lego.com/en-us/community/creationlab/GetMedia.aspx?id=a7a5732f-ee8a-4861-866a-63d1bdc34b58

He may look innocent and harmless, but don't be fooled--he's one of the most evil, malevolent and deranged villains ever to inhabit the universe.  Very few people have seen him, and even fewer have survived the encounter.  His deadly fighting skills and hypnotic gaze are more than a match for any hero.  It is only through the intervention of several brave heroes that so few of his evil plans have been realized...

Well, I went slightly overboard there with the the detail, hope you guys don't mind.  I've been working on several other characters, so hopefully I'll be able to post those soon.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Stage 1: Character Collection has begun! http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … ge-thread/

Please head over and participate, so that we can get started building a bank of characters for this project!

FlyingMinifig, would you mind reposting some of your characters over on this new thread, just so that everything's all in one place? Cheers.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

OK, will do.  By the way, though I like the concept of Melthusax, wouldn't having a being this powerful kind of limit the stories in some way, as he can do pretty much anything?  Unfortunately though I couldn't build him since I have none of those pieces, even the brown hood/cloak.

Squid wrote:

Though, transit by any other means to Riigo-Faloo is extremely difficult because most realm paths lead through the Realm of Arkenvoul, which is run by a being who has a sort of monopoly on realm-to-realm traval, and it's a generally very nasty place crawling with dangers and relicjacks.

I like the idea of a portal travel monopoly too.  Perhaps you could have some corporation in control of the realm paths, who then often charge extortionate prices for people who want to use it.  A bunch of heroes then try to find alternative realm paths and come into conflict with said corporation.  It's just a really random idea that popped into my head though.  Incidentally, what are Relicjacks?  Whatever they are, they sound awesome. mini/XD

Incidentally, I could easily build Squid, and also any of the Pirates Rule! crew in the picture (though Jahk would have a dark red rather than red bandanna).  However, I only have one each of the Pirate Captain/Blue Waistcoat torsos so I could only have one or two characters on screen together at the same time.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (September 1, 2013 (06:15am))

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

FlyingMinifig wrote:

OK, will do.  By the way, though I like the concept of Melthusax, wouldn't having a being this powerful kind of limit the stories in some way, as he can do pretty much anything?  Unfortunately though I couldn't build him since I have none of those pieces, event eh brown hood/cloak.

I get what you mean, which is why you always have to be careful with these kind of characters. I always imagined him being like the gods in various Greek myths, in terms of granting boons. You know, how Hermes gave Perseus the winged sandals and the bag, while Zeus gave him a sword and a helm of invisibility. The in the Odyssey, the goddess Ino gives Odysseus a protective veil and then disappears. The idea is that he isn't a character as such, but more of an occasional plot device. But careful writing only; maybe for now he should be limited to just appearing in the background, Slender Man-style.

It also just occured to me that in Bruce Almighty, we actually see God doing very little, omnipotence-wise. We see him use minor, small-scale powers a lot (e.g. walking on water, transdimensional drawers), but we never see him remold continents or summon huge biblical monsters. Same could go for Melthusax.

Maybe it would be better if I worked out a set of rules for him first, to avoid Deus Ex Machina. I may understand how he works, but not everyone else might. The closest comparison I can think of is the Watcher from Marvel's comics, although he's not actually that similar, so I'm just blathering.

Squid wrote:

Though, transit by any other means to Riigo-Faloo is extremely difficult because most realm paths lead through the Realm of Arkenvoul, which is run by a being who has a sort of monopoly on realm-to-realm traval, and it's a generally very nasty place crawling with dangers and relicjacks.

I second the whole "what are relicjacks" question. I really like the idea of having to hop through different dimensions to get to your destination, like a complex labyrinth. I think I had an idea for something similar a few years ago, but that's not important.

Can you tell us more about the ruler of Arkenvoul, and about these relicjacks?

A while ago I made a cast of hipsters I was planning on using for a sort of sitcom thingy. I could add these things when I get time, in case someone wants to make jokes at the expense of hipsters mini/cat

Cool - can you put them in the new thread?

I really don't think I can build your brown robe guy.  My rendition would be way too far off the mark.

I can build that smiley bloke, though.

jampot wrote:
Squid wrote:

I second the whole "what are relicjacks" question.

Can you tell us more about the ruler of Arkenvoul, and about these relicjacks?

A relicjack is in individual who jacks relics ("jack" is Faloovian slang for take, steal, grab, or snatch).
In order for the Lord of Arkenvoul to let you travel through the Realm of Arkenvoul, you must pay a toll.  The Lord of Arkenvoul is extremely powerful and has no need of currency, so instead you must pay with a relic.  It has to be some sort of unique and extremely powerful magical artifact, such things can be found in almost any realm, but they are all extremely rare, so most people don't have them.
There are some individuals extremely desperate for realm transit, and they have no relics to pay the toll, so they instead come to Arkenvoul to steal a relic from another traveler and use it to pay the toll.  It is surprisingly easy to find a relic in Arkenvoul because around half or the travelers come to Arkenvoul carrying them, and it's a lot easier to jack a relic than find one in your own realm.

The Lord of Arkenvoul doesn't really care if people in the Outlands are all fighting each other over relics, because they'll all come to him in the end anyway.

The most prominent relicjack in the story is a weird guy with a gigantic grin filled with needle teeth, red eyes, a wide brimmed hat, a red scarf, and knife fingers.

However, the whole Arkenvoul thing would never work very well with a guy like Virtigo, and it's more supposed to be a Faloovian problem.

I really, really like that idea. A lot. But if you want to pin it to Riigo-Faloo alone, that's totes cool.

I really like this idea of a cinematic universe for brickfilms! I've actually had a shared world/universe place for all of my brickfilms for a while. As in, all of the brickfilms take place in the same world, but sometimes in different periods. For example: the Outposters takes place several hundred years before the events of BIRDFaCE or Flying Low. Most of the birckfilms take place in the city of Brick-cinnati. Though, this is the only city in the world whose name is inspired by a real one.

I also frequently use similar minifigs in multiple videos in different ways. A character who is in the background for one video may be the main protagonist in the next. That aspect hasn't been used too much yet, but I want to use it more in the future.

I'm pretty open with having my world/universe (which I have yet to properly name, so any suggestions would be nice) participate in this crossover.

As for the villain, I think the best thing we could do is have a character who has a relatively common head piece, and can frequently change clothing, so as to fit the collections of the animator.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Everyone loves shapeshifters, right?

Well, he hasn't got a name yet, and I don't have a picture, but what about a plain black minifigure? Plain black legs, plain black torso, plain black head, and then the rest of the accessories can change as he or she shapeshifts. They might even be able to temporarily assume colour, meaning that they could potentially be any minifig, though only for a short period of time. However, they wouldn't be able to copy powers - they'd have to use technology or magical artifacts to assimilate other powers, kind of like the Skrulls in Marvel.

He/she could even be connected to the Maelstrom from LEGO Universe, and have the power to infect things with its evil.

Just a thought. It'd be a villain that everyone can build, as long as they have plain black minifig pieces.

That's actually a really good idea.  He/she/it could be the minifig form of a great evil entity, which is always lurking in the background type thing.  Shapeshifting would allow the different filmers to give their own interpretation of the character, which would add a lot of creativity to the BFCU.

And LEGO Universe was an awesome game.

Could be called Blot? As in ink blot. I'll work on a character bio.

Screw it, I'm going to start scripting my Jonny Thunder interactive adventure. Probably won't be able to start animating till' next year, but at least I can plan and get voice actors.

I'll make sure its still in-canon (though, it'll probably only be loosely tied to the universe). I'll probably have two endings: the real one and a joke one. The joke one will probably end with them all about to die in a really anti-climactic way or something like that ("Maybe we should have picked the option that DIDN'T have spikes!")

I intend to keep the tone light and family-freindly (but I'm afraid I can't resist the occasional bit of dark-humour). Since Johnny Thunder is basically the LEGO Indiana Jones, it'll kinda be a spoof of those films - but I'll try to make it not too obvious and able to stand by its own merits.

Part of me wants to bring Mr Socially Impaired into this universe as sort of a Deadpool-like character - but I think he's a bit too insane for this...

YouTube
Max, She/They

That all sounds great, and I can't wait to see it! I love a good Johnny Thunder adventure. Is Lord Sinister/Baron von Barron appearing?

Also, could you reference the failed Amazon expedition of Charlie Hawke? Like, literally drop the name at some point. It's something I plan on referencing in a future Caden Hawke video, so the extra universe-link would be nice.