Re: The D-SLR Discussion

and, if you are going to spend a grand and a half on a camera, I have the 7D mark ii. it is marvlous for stop motion and live action, wonderful controls, very solid.

Cooked Cat wrote:

and, if you are going to spend a grand and a half on a camera, I have the 7D mark ii. it is marvlous for stop motion and live action, wonderful controls, very solid.

I think for your first DSLR you are better off buying a cheaper body and spending the money you save on a really nice lens. Lenses are way more important than the camera body. Plus a good lens never becomes outdated. You can keep it forever where as you will want to upgrade bodies.

Aqua speaks the truth,  it's the lenses that really matter.

Indeed.

Although the 7D mkii would be nice if you're shooting in the rain or something. It's certainly a sturdier build. But for stop motion, you hardly touch the camera anyway.

Personally, if I wanted live action and stop motion I'd buy a cheap Canon body and a second Sony or Panasonic camera just for video. Canon has so far refused to compete with the features of newer Sony and Panasonic cameras in the video arena in the under ~$9k USD range.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

how so? @smeagol.

Yeah, the T_i range seems pretty good.

I had a 550D for years, and only reason I got a new camera was I had some spots on my sensor and was doing a wedding video for a friend and wanted more useable video with higher ISO's.

If I could get any DSLR body, I'd get a panasonic GH4. Not so much for brickfilming, but it has sharper 4k than some other much more expensive 4k cameras.

Having said that, my dream camera would be a Red Epic. Only since I can't actually own a panavision.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Cooked Cat wrote:

how so? @smeagol.

Canon has been dropping video features from their professional level DSLRs, and omitting certain software features that would be incredibly easy to add and greatly boost the video potential of their full frame DSLRs. The amateur level cameras (the ones with t's in their names), still maintain their video features, though. A lot of people are theorizing that Canon is trying to differentiate it's product lines for professional photographers and professional videographers. Canon spawned the DSLR film making revolution completely by accident, and seems to be happy to let other companies continue to feed it, rather than create competition between their own products. It's important to remember the video users only make up a tiny percentage of their costumer base compared to still photographers.

And yes, I'm aware I'm not smeagol. mini/tongue

ok, I find that the 7Dmkii, is amazing when it comes to video. hence my confusion.... same with the 5dmkiii, (one of those also resides with my family.)

Just to be clear, I'm not saying any of this is absolutely true, just that it's a theory in the videography world that seems to have gained some traction, and makes a decent amount of sense. The 5dmkiii is from before these theories started popping up; it's pre-gh4 and A7s. While the 7Dmarkii is good for video, it's the source of a lot of peoples concerns. It lacks many of the features of the other popular dslrish cameras, and it would seem like if Canon really wanted to compete in the DSLR video market, the sequel to their most video oriented DSLR would be able to record in 4k; especially since the 7dmkii has a brand new sensor, and Canon has put 4k recording in a DSLR before, with the 1DXC. From what I can tell that, along with the release of the markii line of the C100, C300, and C500, as well as the XC10 (and some other new camcorders?), are the main evidence that people are looking too.

Cooked Cat wrote:

how so? @smeagol.

From my understanding, Canon hasn't fixed the moireing issues in most of their cameras for the past five years, and none of their cameras in this range allow internal resolution over 1080p, unlike Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung's cameras in the same price range, nearly all of which now shoot true 1080p and many of which record 4k internally. And all those brands use up-to-date codecs, unlike Canon. Furthermore, Canon puts a clip time limit on all models of these cameras, whereas the other brands only do this where they have to (in the European union because of a tax reason).

And most of the Canon cameras don't shoot true 1080p; they shoot a pretend, upscaled-in-camera, closer to 720p video and call it 1080p. Essentially, Canon's video technology has not advanced in a meaningful way in the past 5 years, while Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung have continued to improve the video functions of their new releases.

Not to say video from Canon cameras can't look pretty nice, or that these aren't good cameras! Great for stills, and I think Canon is the best option for stop motion to this day. For video, they're way better than what was available 10 years ago. But now they're about 5 years out of date. It is after all the filmmaker, not the tool, that is most important. Kendy Ty's t2i videos look great. But Canon has allowed the video tech in their cameras, in this price range, even new releases, to become quite obsolete. The latest 5D release video specs were specs that would have been a disappointment 2 years ago compared to the competition.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

One other quick question. I'm probably going for a nikkor lense and an adapter for my t2i when I get it. My friend told me that he's heard of adapters effecting the quality of the image. Has anyone on here had trouble with that at all?

It depends on whether the adapter has any glass elements in it.  If it does (not sure if there are any of those out there, though I'm fairly certain), the quality may well be affected.  As is, my M42-Canon adapter, which is essentially just a metal ring that connects the lens and camera body together, work perfectly fine and I've never had an issue with it.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (August 9, 2015 (05:05pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

An adapter to put nikkor lenses on Canon cameras is really just a fancy metal ring, no glass involved; so the image quality is totally unaffected.

MrVertigo and backyardlegos are correct, going from Nikkor glass to a Cannon body you will have no issue with quality, going from Canon glass to Nikkor is a whole different story and will effect your quality.

Sméagol wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/G2p4t2P.png

I know this is off topic, sorry.

Sméagol, what aspect ratio is this?

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

If you divide the width of the image (1920) by the height (800) you will get x

the ratio is x:1

Ah alright, thanks.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

I've just discovered a wonderful thing. For those of us who enjoy the "lens flare look" but don't have any after effects software, this is a great solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGJLR6TkNE4
It's a DIY lens flare filter for DSLR cameras. I put one together today and it really does work. I was somewhat surprised. Here is a sample photo I took.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5638/20041165374_a50c6e1b8c_k.jpgDIY Flare Filter by Guy  Commanderson, on Flickr

Last edited by If I Were A Minifig (August 17, 2015 (01:17pm))

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

Hey I'm thinking of buying the thing to plug your camera into the wall but I have a few questions.......

1: what is it called? mini/tongue

2: can you still put your camera a the tripod, or does the cord coming out of the battery slot effect that?

3: What would you guys recommend for a Canon T3I?

4: Is there a chance it could harm your camera?

Thanks a ton guys!
OsomStudios

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

1. AC adapter.

2. You can put your camera on a tripod just fine.

3. This seems reasonable.

4. No.