Topic: Share your film-making process

I think it would interesting to hear about different people's film-making processes and compare them to our own.  To get things started, I'll share mine first.  This process has evolved over the last 2 years as I've learned more about film-making and has gotten gradually more complicated, maybe too complicated.  mini/smile  I do many of these steps in parallel.  For instance, I'm currently filming shots for one scene, building sets for another scene, and still writing the script for other scenes.  Feel free to comment and critique it, and please post your own process for comparison.

AncientBricks' Animated Film-making Process
=============================
1.    Write script
    a.    Develop story, setting, characters
    b.    Create a “bible” for the story (rules that govern the world of your film) if needed
    c.    Outline the story (list all the required scenes)
    d.    Write the scenes
2.    Cast Characters
        a. find voice actors
        b. build a minifig for each character
3.    Record dialog
4.    Subdivide scenes into smaller scenes if necessary or desired
5.    Create Scenes
    a.    Record dialog (if not already recorded)
    b.    Build set
    c.    Storyboard the scene / divide scene into shots
    d.    Create shots (each is one camera angle, usually < 15 seconds)
        i.    Extract audio for shot from recordings
        ii.    Create Exposure Sheet
            1.    Import audio into MonkeyJam at proper FPS for timing
            2.    Create Spreadsheet indicating motions at specifica frames
        iii.    Set up shot – Position:
            1.    characters
            2.    props
            3.    lights
            4.    camera
        iv.    Film shot - Animate according to Exposure Sheet (CSMC or Animator DV)
        v.    Rename images to fit naming standard
        vi.    Back-up original frames (copy to another drive)
        vii.    Remove dead pixels, crop & resize (VirtualDub)
            1.    Create 608x342 “scratch” frames
            2.    Create full size 1.78 frames (i.e. 2048x1152, 1920x1080, 1600x900, 1280x720, 856x480)
        viii.    Import Scratch frames (608x342) into MonkeyJam
            1.    Manipulate frames as necessary to fit dialog and to fix any timing issues
            2.    Create test AVIs to confirm timing
        ix.    Add mouth movements in sync with dialog on full size frames (PaintShopPro)
        x.    Add blinking to full size frames - approximately 1 blink every 4 seconds (PaintShopPro)
        xi.    Create full size AVI including dialog (video + rough audio)
            1.    Change MonkeyJam to look at folder containing full-sized frames
            2.    Export Uncompressed, full-sized AVI with audio
        xii.    Do any special effects on full-sized AVI
            1.    Digital pans and zooms
            2.    compositing, masking, chroma-keying
        xiii.    Create smaller AVIs of shot
            1.    create 1280x720 Xvid (maximum quality) for later HiDef use.
            2.    create 856x480 DivX (4Mbps) for widescreen DVD
            3.    back-up AVIs (copy to another drive)
        e.    Assemble completed shots into completed scene AVI  (video + rough audio) in video editor
6.    Assemble completed scenes into film (video + rough audio)
7.    Assemble and mix audio for the film
    a.    Import film (video + rough audio) AVI into audio editor (Cakewalk)
    b.    Synchronize dialog audio clips in Cakewalk with film’s rough audio track.
    c.    Create or find sound effects.  Insert and position them in Cakewalk.
    d.    Create music soundtrack in Cakewalk.
    e.    Mix all audio
    f.    Export stereo WAV file containing all audio for film
    g.    Apply slight dynamic compress and EQ to WAV file if necessary
8.    Replace rough audio of film with mixed WAV file (VirtualDub)

Last edited by AncientBricks (January 7, 2009 (02:12pm))

Re: Share your film-making process

1. Make film

2. Upload film

mini/bigsmile

In other words I pretty much just wing it.

-concept
-Script.
-casting call.
-record lines.
-animate.
-find sound effects and music.
-add Titles, sync dialog, add audio and any special Effects.
-Render to multiple file types.
-upload.

_2014

-Think up idea, usually when im dreaming.
-Write it down before I forget
-Write basic script
-Storyboard key frames
-FILM IT
-EDIT IT
-COMPRESS IT
-CHECK IT
-CHECK AGAIN FOR AUDIO LEVELS
-UPLOAD IT

1. Think of my idea
2. Get all my stuff ready
3. animate
4. edit
5. add sound
6. upload
--------------
or I will do...
Think of my idea
Script it
Storyboard it
Get my stuff ready
Animate
Add sound
Edit
Upload.
I like doing the second way. Its just easier to do it the first way...

Last edited by Just Kidden (January 7, 2009 (04:08pm))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

story
script
characters
sets
animation
audio
done.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

My process is pretty much the same as everyone else here. However, sometimes I just feel the need to animate and can't be bothered to go through the tedious process of writing a script and recording voices.

So, if a film of mine has no talking in it, then that means that I was making it up as I went along.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

My current film is going like this :

Think of Idea. I have a billion ideas floating in my head at the moment, but I need to make sure the one I choose is interesting enough to keep me motivated so I don't get bored after 3 months and that it isn't too ambitious.

Script the Idea/Storyboards. Once I have an idea, I script it and revise it a few times, show it to a friend or parent. Then lose parts of the script until I have one page left. The scenes usually change when the sets change, it just seems to make things work a little easier. I script in a notepad.

Build Sets. Becuase a few of my sets are quite large, I build a set then animate, then take apart the set to build a new one and so on.

Animating. I animate in what ever order I like. I started at scene 4 went back to scene 2 then started scene 7 and worked back to scene 6 then did scene 1 then went back to scene 5. I use Monkeyjam to edit.

Editing. I edit as I go, so that if I film sothing infront of a green screen, and it turns out 20 seconds of footage is ruined becuase of terrible greenscreen, I don't have to go back and buil the set again. (Experiance with green screening has made me use a black wooden board as the backdrop now) I edit using Sony Vegas Platinum 8 and apply effects using Vegas and Adobe After Effects CS3.

Compression. I compress with Quicktime Pro, anything else I need to say?

Riley wrote:

...Then lose parts of the script until I have one page left.... ...I started at scene 4 went back to scene 2 then started scene 7...

Surely you don't have 7 scenes from a 1-page script?  My scenes are almost always at least 1 page.

Are you supposed to do voices first, or animation?

^it depends. If you are doing them yourself, use your better judgement. If you are using others voices over the web, animate second.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

Think Of Concept
"Animate" in my head (create "Minifigures" and "Bricks" in my head and make a "movie")
Script
Cast
Animate
Edit
Upload
Yell #@%! as I notice a continuity error

and thats pretty much it...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

1) Make film.
2)  ?
3) Collect bananas.

- Leo

mcoov_studios wrote:

Are you supposed to do voices first, or animation?

I  think most people record the dialog first, then animate their shots to fit with the dialog.  For me, that means creating a WAV file for each shot, importing that WAV into MonkeyJam at 15FPS to see what frames the phrases stop and start so I can decide when my characters' movements should stop and start.

If you animate before  you get recordings, you could just animate the motions you want during the dialog and after you get the recordings,  manipulate the frame holds and order of the frames as necessary in MonkeyJam to make your frames fit with the dialog.  The result may be a little less pleasing than a better-planned shot animated to the dialog, but if you're not trying to create the perfect shot, it could still turn out to be good enough.

Well, I just started my second film, so I really don't have a method.

On this project, I looked around to see what legos I do own, since I am new to brick films, I don't have a whole lot.  I decided on the good guy and then the bad. I thought about a story line over the last couple of days using what I have on hand. Came up with a begining shot and an ending shot. Thought about 5 or 6 main shots to tell the story and now I am filling in the blanks to bring it all together. I have decided on no dialog, just telling the whole story with editing, cinematography, sets and music.

Bottom line, a lot of thinking and then trying to make it happen how I "see it"
Once I finish this project, I will decide if this works for or against me.  However, I think what ever works for you is the best way.

Brifx

1. write script
2. record audio
3. animate
4. edit
5. post

User formerly known as "LEGO"

I consider myself lucky if I ever come up with an idea and actually finish the project. The idea has to be something I'm really interested in. That's why a lot of my films are usually short and simple, if it gets to be too time consuming I might just completely forget about it. That's why I never script my ideas, if I'm interested in the idea, I just completely skip pre-production (whatever that might be, scripting, story boarding). That's probably how all of my longer films have been made. But anyway, I'm hoping to start making longer films soon, I'm getting sick of these short clips I come out with every few weeks.
I'm also going to be participating in more contests. mini/bigsmile

Here's basically what I do when I'm going to make a film:
Make a good (Lego)setup
Start filming
finish filming and start editing
finish editing, export and upload to the internet as soon as possible mini/mrgreen

-idea
-script
-record audio
-animate
-edit
-sound effects and special effects (if any)
-upload
done

thats basically what I do

AncientBricks wrote:
Riley wrote:

...Then lose parts of the script until I have one page left.... ...I started at scene 4 went back to scene 2 then started scene 7...

Surely you don't have 7 scenes from a 1-page script?  My scenes are almost always at least 1 page.

No, not at all!, most of my scenes are 3/4 of a page to 2 pages. I just lose pages of the script.

Riley wrote:
Riley wrote:

...Then lose parts of the script until I have one page left....

No, not at all!, most of my scenes are 3/4 of a page to 2 pages. I just lose pages of the script.

Ok, that makes more sense.  It was your "until I have one page left" that I didn't understand.