Re: Share your film-making process

Well, right now I'm working on a co-production with another brickfilmer, and I kind of whipped up a little plan for what we're doing. It is film-specific, though. As you can see, I focused on the effects and post-production, since that's what I'm involved in.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2678/scheduleplanvz8.jpg

- Leo

For me....

Basic Story

then...

First draft

then...

Final script

then...

Casting Call

then...

Animation

then...

Final checks

then...

Editing

then...

Compression

and finally...

Release

-Daragh

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/daragh2me/Avatarsposters/allworkandnoplay2.png

Hazzat wrote:

My process is pretty much the same as everyone else here. However, sometimes I just feel the need to animate and can't be bothered to go through the tedious process of writing a script and recording voices.

So, if a film of mine has no talking in it, then that means that I was making it up as I went along.

Heh, that was exactly how I made episode 1 of 'The Stunt'.
I started out with the car jump, then shot something of interview, and then I got the idea to fuse them together, and I threw in the show's host and some 'empty' frames showing just the ramp, that I could loop infinitely to fix timing a bit.
That's when I saw I had forgotten the aproach to the ramp, so I added that as well. Having learned from the previous scenes, I calculated in Excell how much to advance the car each frame for a smooth 15 fps acceleration, but in the beginning that called for measurements of 0.01 mm. Hm. So the take starts a bit jumpy.
In post production, I got to make the characters to say all kinds of mean, stupid or cynical things (by means of subtitles) which actually was half of the fun for me.

For episode 2, I'm preparing a bit more thorough, having learned not only from episode 1, but also from tips and trics on this site.
So I've written a short document describing the idea (big picture), characters and plot. I've started the with the screenplay (Yay! I get the people to say nasty things again!) Once finished, I'll put both up for your review, along with a casting call for voice actors. As a distraction, I spend time here on the board, looking at other peoples work (also a great source of learning) and try to build (parts of) sets (that's hard though, as my kids tend to run off with what I've built even before I'm finished with it, that'll be fun when I start shooting!)

When I've got the voices recorded, I'll come back here to figure out how best to continue mini/wink

-PG

Version 1 of the the screenplay for episode 2 of The Stunt is finishised, and I really, really] await your critique!

I think an idea, film then edit. Usually no script or casting call. Improvise all the way.

-Jimmybob

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.
[email protected]

http://images.alibris.com/isbn/9780470386941.gif

I use that, cause I'm a dummy mini/tongue

"11 year olds should dance with girls kiss with tounge and make good things out of this" -- Brick by brick
"What the heck is this underwear business?" -- BertL

1. Think of idea for 10 minutes
2. Make set
3. Animate
4. Edit
5. Upload
6. mini/bigsmile

Happy THACing mini/sunnies

jimmybob wrote:

I think an idea, film then edit. Usually no script or casting call. Improvise all the way.

-Jimmybob

That process ads an amount of crazy wacky awesomeness to your films.

- Leo

-think of some ideas(on the way back from school)
-scriped
-set bulding
-what minifigs to use
-animation
-effects(i have sony vages)
-editing
-add sound
-upload to vimeo.com or youtube.com
mini/bigsmile

Project Secret

Leonardo812 wrote:
jimmybob wrote:

-Jimmybob

That process ads an amount of crazy wacky awesomeness to your films.

- Leo

Thanks! mini/bigsmile

I'm glad it works. mini/wink

-Jimmybob

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.
[email protected]

Thank you all, and especially AncientBricks for your detailed description of your process. I am a very fresh beginner who is now sitting on about a thousand still frames and evaluating tools and trying to get a hang of how best to piece things together. I find it very helpful to get a description of which tools fit for which purposes and a good process for piecing it together.

If more of you would like to post a more detailed description than "Come up with an idea, build set, shoot, edit, upload", it would enable me and hopefully other noobs (and perhaps not-so-noobs) to learn about other ways to do it and with other tools.

Last edited by SparkTurner (February 12, 2009 (01:22pm))

Write the script
Storyboard
Build the set and minifigures
Animate
Effects
Music and Sound
Basic Editing
Final Film

1. Obsess over idea of a film, going through the entire thing in my head multiple times
2. (Sometimes write an outline) Storyboard everything except the last scene which I'm not sure about
3. Animate and add into timeline on editing software as I go
4. Wait several months
5.Edit/Add sound
6. Upload and get money/mostly happy comments

mini/smile

I used to do this differently, but using machinima has changed things.

1. Get a general idea of what I want to do. This usually includes the premise, the moral, and any ideas for lines I want.

2. Write a script. What I do here is just write until it's done, incorporating all my lines/premises/morals. I rarely know ho a story is going to end until after I write it.

3. Record voices. This is what I did for Tire, and for my upcoming film Ponderance. I recorded the voices, grabbed the music, added the necessary filters, and then splice all of that together as a framework for the footage.

4. Shoot footage. This is pretty self-explanatory.

5. Edit. I edit the clips, cutting them to fit the dialogue if needed. Then I add titles and filters and VFX if needed.

6. Upload to YouTube.

http://i.imgur.com/Q9NCUnx.png