Topic: Where has LEGO gotten?

LEGO is coming out with a "Ben 10" line.

W. T. F.

LEGO's newer themes have kinda been suckish. I mean, I can look forward to Toy Story, but Ben Frikkin 10? Prince of Persia? Speed Racer?

And let's not forget Bionicle. I remember the old days, where the 6 Toa would have to save the Matoran fron Makuta. Now, they're trying to live on a damn island. Its like an episode of Survivor, but with Robot-Creatures.

And Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Lucasfilm was a great production company. Star Wars, Indy, hey...did you know that Lucasfilm founded Pixar? But they took a huge step backwards when they made some crap CG called "t3h clon warzz!!1!". You'd think LEGO would say "What a crap movie! Who would buy these toys?". But apparently the aim of the board meetings was "How can we lose as much money as possible? Appeal to confused, helpless 5 year olds of course! But how? Let's manufacture Clone Wars toys! Losing Money, Wasting Plastic AND Ruining Reputations!". Apparently, LEGO does not plan on renewing it's license for Star Wars in 2011. (Yeah, SW brickfilms usually suck, but) Those were the sets we know and love for 10 years! They used to be the best. A-Wings, Cloud City, Slave I, Millenium Falcons that DON'T force you to declare bankrupcy, those really small sets of "The Final Duel"...you get it. LSW was good for a while. Now its just Fleshies and Anime Eyes.

At BrickFair, I got to see some older stuff people were selling. From the GOOD lines. Ninjas. Wild West. Blacktron. Fright Knights. You get the point.

LEGO has seriously declined in the last 2 years. They need to come up with some more original ideas. Instead of doing what they usually do, which could be:
- Get licensing for a kid's show
- Revive an old line
- Re-Release old sets as "Limited Edition" and raise the price by $100

Feedback.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

Re: Where has LEGO gotten?

In the last two years? I haven't bought a set in five.

OK, I lie, but not for a while.

Lego is getting to a point where my precious yellow heads will be ancient.
Let's all go to the place where Lego is made and demand yellow.

All we have left are these mini/smile mini/blankexpression mini/sad mini/bigsmile

"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

Yellow heads aren't going to go, the flesh toned heads are only for licensed sets. And I think now is a good time to point out that people focus too much attention on the negatives, what about all the great stuff LEGO has come out with recently? The modular set lines, the merry go round set, the blue Volkswagen beatle, the Emerald Night, the Custom Car Garage, Space Police 3, Indy, the Taj Mahal, the Eiffel tower, etcetera. LEGO is a business, they need to supply for the majority of customers, which are pretty much 3-13 year olds, thats why they're coming out with new bionicles and speed racer stuff becuase thats what the kids want. No one can please everyone.

Although, I would have thought the clone wars was based on the opposite premise of losing money, but just to squeeze as much as possible out of the idea.

Last edited by Riley (August 23, 2009 (09:44pm))

Riley wrote:

Yellow heads aren't going to go, the flesh toned heads are only for licensed sets. And I think now is a good time to point out that people focus too much attention on the negatives, what about all the great stuff LEGO has come out with recently? The modular set lines, the merry go round set, the blue Volkswagen beatle, the Emerald Night, the Custom Car Garage, Space Police 3, Indy, the Taj Mahal, the Eiffel tower, etcetera. LEGO is a business, they need to supply for the majority of customers, which are pretty much 3-13 year olds, thats why they're coming out with new bionicles and speed racer stuff becuase thats what the kids want. No one can please everyone.

I can see how modular building sets and building challenge are good, but they're super expensive. LEGO hasn't come up with something that's Wowed me in a while.

Riley wrote:

Although, I would have thought the clone wars was based on the opposite premise of losing money, but just to squeeze as much as possible out of the idea.

I was actually joking about that part. But you make a good point. Many critics say that Lucas was just milking Star Wars to the last drop. If we wanted more SW, we'd read EU books mini/yes
But I honestly think that LEGO should have stuck with the Movie Lines, maybe bringing back EP. II and EP. VI for its last few years of licensing for Star Wars. I only found 2 good things with the Clone Wars line:
1) They had EP. II style Clone Helmets
2) They had the LAAT/i Gunship that I wanted

fib12345 wrote:

I can see how modular building sets and building challenge are good, but they're super expensive. LEGO hasn't come up with something that's Wowed me in a while.

LEGO has always been expensive, especially for non-US buyers, and I thought the Emerald Night and the Medievil Market were pretty amazing, but you can't expect LEGO to come out with something amazing every three months.

I'm just going to vote with my feet and avoid POP, Ben 10 and Toy Story (except for the toy soldiers set maybe). Right now the main thing I'm worried about is the quality of LEGO and the consistency of colour in the elements. While filming yesterday I kept getting distracted by my patterned Dark Bley wall; it should be more consistent. This is where LEGO has taken the biggest step back.

mini/eek

Last edited by Steve (January 8, 2011 (06:09pm))

The current themes have only been on the up and up - it's just the new (mainly Disney) themes that aren't so great. We need more lines like Space Police.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Hazzat wrote:

[...]We need more lines like Space Police.

Blacktron III mini/love

I'm BACK! mini/bigsmile

I don't really care what lego makes or doesn't make, some people might think it's cool, some don't.

vik, LEGO will always be awesome. The stud/tube method is ingenious. Just look how internationally popular it is: PEOPLE ARE FREAKIN MAKING MOVIES WITH IT. But that's not the point. The newer LEGO sets are designed for Playing. The older LEGO sets were designed for Building. Building is the whole point of LEGO. That's why they made Brick Buckets, large sets like the Taj Mahal, Creator Sets, Technic Sets, Mindstorms Sets, etc...

Just take a look at many recent Star Wars sets. They have a looooooot of plates. You can't build a set with plates. LEGO used to be about Building and Rebuilding. Now it's just Building and Playing.

fib12345 wrote:

vik, LEGO will always be awesome. The stud/tube method is ingenious. Just look how internationally popular it is: PEOPLE ARE FREAKIN MAKING        WITH IT. But that's not the point. The newer LEGO sets are designed for Playing. The older LEGO sets were designed for Building. Building is the whole point of LEGO. That's why they made Brick Buckets, large sets like the Taj Mahal, Creator Sets, Technic Sets, Mindstorms Sets, etc...

Just take a look at many recent Star Wars sets. They have a looooooot of plates. You can't build a set with plates. LEGO used to be about Building and Rebuilding. Now it's just Building and Playing.

Yes, just go look at the "Cool Creations" thing on LEGO.com. There are TONS of really horrible-built stuff, because kids only want the star wars sets. Then they don't have much bricks to build GOOD things.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

fib12345 wrote:

Just take a look at many recent Star Wars sets. They have a looooooot of plates. You can't build a set with plates.

You are looking at this from a brickfilmers perspective, becuase we usually need walls in our sets, and plates aren't useful for walls.  But as you said, LEGO is for building. Building anything you can think of, that isn't just buildings, what about spaceships, cars, boats?

I can make walls with plates. mini/confused

Not with a plate like this:
http://cache.lego.com/media/bricks/5/2/4514719.jpg

Brickyman wrote:

I can make walls with plates. mini/confused

Unstable walls. mini/tongue

art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

No, they're quite stable, and yes fib, i can use those plates. mini/tongue

Those kind of walls make me hurl, btw.