Re: What's Your Favorite Film Score?

I know this doesn't count, but Medal of Honor (the first one) has a movie-quality (or better) score by Michael Giacchino. I've loved it since I was 7.

Darkman wrote:

Has everybody forgot the great "Bernard Hermann" ???? mini/eek

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951), Taxi Driver, Psycho...

-Darkman

Oooh, I forgot about him.

-Pirates of the Carribein (1,2 and 3)
-Lord of the Rings
-The Pink Panther
-The Terminator (I personally prefer No.1s soundtrack, though No.2 is more orchestral)
-Indiana Jones
-Star Wars
-Harry Potter 1&2
-The Dark Knight

I also like the New Doctor Who soundtrack, even though it doesnt count (its good enough to be in a movie though).

Night Owl wrote:

The Proposition and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Nick Cave and Warren Ellis)

Why am I not surprised....

-MRB

Last edited by Max Butcher (May 31, 2009 (06:57am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

Everything made by Michael Giacchino, Thomas Newman, Craig Armstrong and Clint Mansell.

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars, The Terminal.

And .hack//G.U. Trilogy.

*audience boos*

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

JacobFilms wrote:

Anything John Williams.

ditto.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

The score for Catch Me If You Can, by John Williams, is absolutely amazing and incredibly underrated.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/quakefilms/myspace/Brickfilms/whitewallssig.jpg

Jonathan|Marrero wrote:

Craig Armstrong and Clint Mansell.

oh yeah, I freaking love lux aeterna. the most used trailer epic song ever.

http://i.imgur.com/kmwjd.png
[10]]

maggosh wrote:

Pirates of the Caribbean

Pirates is so awesome!  I played it with my orchestra last Wednesday.

http://thebuttonfilm.com/

I almost mentioned Catch Me if You Can, it's definitely a standout for John Williams, it shows he's capable of doing something completely different from the rest of his work and doing it well.

Also I forgot to mention Jerry Goldsmith, probably best known for his work on the Star Trek movies and shows, he had a very distinct style and often used a lot of brass but wasn't afraid to go beyond typical orchestral sounds.  His score for First Contact is pretty phenomenal.

Pirates, eh, some of the themes are catchy but the music in the first movie is pretty bombastic and lacking in depth, which is probably why it has become so popular.  The music for the second and third, with Hans Zimmer, were a marked improvement I think but still nothing spectacular.  (Some of the melodies are pretty memorable though, like the Kracken theme and the Davy Jones theme.)

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

Jerry Goldsmith [...] His score for First Contact is pretty phenomenal.

Hell yes, I totally forgot about him and his score for First Contact. That's the only Star Trek soundtrack I've listened to more than once.

I think that Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori deserve some recognition for Halo 3's amazing soundtrack.

I like the film music where the violins go EEK EEK EEK EEK and the big violin goes DAHH DAH

DAHH DAH

You mean from Psycho ?

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

Robukka wrote:

8 Mile by Eminem. I can only remember "Lose Yourself", which is very much very powerful.

8 Mile is a great movie, I have it on DVD.

Another Alan Silvestri score of which I am fond is that of Predator.

Edit: I forgot to mention what are probably my favorite Williams scores, those of Jurassic Park and The Lost World. When I think of various scenes from those movies, the music pops right into my head.

Also, while the original Star Wars movies have some of the catchiest and most recognizable music around, I fear my enjoyment of it has been killed somewhat by overexposure.

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheez Doodles, and masterfully debating do not constitute 'plans' in my book - Walter 'Heisenberg' White

What I've Done

Meh.

Toy Story 2

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

Nick Glennie-Smith did a very good job on We Were Soldiers. I also like Harry Gregson-Williams score for Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and 4 (MGS is like an interactive movie).

-Donsalvatore

New film:
In Pre-Production...]

This doesn't count as much, but McCabe and Mrs. Miller is set in a perpetually rainy Pacific Northwest and has a soundtrack of acoustic Leonard Cohen songs. It's absolutely amazing.